• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Occam

Just another case of Sony being reactive to Nintendo that people will just handwave as something they were going to do anyways.

As a matter of fact, I feel a little bad for Horizon now.

Cuburt rhymes with butthurt. Mere coincidence?

silva1991

Got one for ~209€. Before today it was ~320€ to get a white one, maaassive savings.

toq5eXE.jpg

I don't need to tell you to get Bloodborne and Horizon ;)

Congrats

iswasdoes

In italy sony itself promoted the initiative on their Facebook page. There isn't any conspiracy it's a fact.

Of course they will, they will still alert people to the retailers offer? They want to sell playstations, That is a fact.

What's not a fact is that this is a reactive move by Sony Corp. because of the switch launch. As someone has pointed out, why would they wait till launch day if that were true?

eerik9000

Its more unlikely that if this was sony corporate it would isolated to one region (and a smaller region within that, its not happening in UK to my knowledge, which is a massive market for them) and not promoted by them with their own advertising, but instead the retailers.

Big retailers share supply chains etc so its not uncommon for them to have price parity

But enjoy your conspiracy theory ;)
Obviously this isn't guided from the corporate level of Sony, but rather from the local branches of SIE Europe.

Kneefoil

Got one for ~209€. Before today it was ~320€ to get a white one, maaassive savings.

I really want to take that deal as well, but the only games I'm very interested in that I'd need a PS4 for would be Persona 5 and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Probably not worth it for me.

Sweden: On top of CDON, Webhallen, Gamestop, Elgiganten and a few more are doing it.

The Switch was sold out in Stockholm before shops even opened like with the PS4 launch(so expect months of waiting for shipments that aren't already all booked) so a bunch of people will probably pick a PS4 up.

Bulby

Live in Berlin.

Shit was crazy in media markt last night, I checked in after work. Some guys were taking 2 or 3. Probably looking to re-sell at a profit. There was a mountain of about 40 PS4s I guess. I was hanging around the vinyls looking over and they were being picked up every few minutes.

iswasdoes

You mean MediaMarkt? It's right here on the front page: http://www.mediamarkt.de/

Mediamarkt is the biggest in germany, but not the region. But amazon is still massive also. So your saying PS Germany said "I have a plan to kill the switch launch; I will create a huge price drop. But - I will only do it with one retailer...."

Or is it likely that retailer is deciding independently to sell the stock he already owns at below RRP, for their own reasons?

Why do you WANT this to be true so bad?

eerik9000

Mediamarkt is the biggest in germany, but not the region. But amazon is still massive also. So your saying PS Germany said "I have a plan to kill the switch launch; I will create a huge price drop. But - I will only do it with one retailer...."

Or is it likely that retailer is deciding independently to sell the stock he already owns at below RRP, for their own reasons?

Why do you WANT this to be true so bad?

I really don't understand what you are saying. What plan to kill the Switch launch? What are you talking about. Switch pre-orders have been sold out for a long time. This is just a one or two day promotion to take advantage of the increased consumer activity caused by the Switch launch.

And as I said earlier, Amazon DE doesn't even have PS4 Slim in stock, only third-party sellers. Plus I just received an e-mail from Amazon FR regarding the promotion they're doing (Slim + extra controller for €249).

Screenshot 2017-03-03 12.39.30.png

repeater

The Switch was sold out in Stockholm before shops even opened like with the PS4 launch(so expect months of waiting for shipments that aren't already all booked) so a bunch of people will probably pick a PS4 up.
Looking at Prisjakt, the Switch is currently still available from a great number of different reliable online retailers. It doesn't look like it is hard to get in Sweden right now at all, though for all I know you might not be able to get one by walking into your nearest brick-and-mortar store.

Wish they had an equivalent sale in the US.

I am annoyed enough at Amazon/UPS losing my Switch in transit that I might have finally taken the plunge on the PS4 instead.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Good move.

SONY: Hey, we are all fans of zelda right guys?

*A few days later announce price drop for ps4.*

Well played Sony. Well played.

Didn't see anything like that in Smyths or Gamestop in Ireland but then there are Switches on the shelves in both, even Neon versions which surprised me.

WillyFive

More like Arrogant Ninty™ with how much the system is and how little storage space it has.

The Switch has the standard price and storage of a tablet that powerful. It's just this year's model of the Nvidia Shield tablet with a Nintendo branding and no Android OS.

lupinko

Are they expecting Switch buyers to impulse buy a PS4?

It does work, when I was unsuccessful in getting a PS3 on launch (and when it became ultra crazy but given the tension, which makes me laugh looking back), I walked in to another store and bought a 360 with a five game bundle. One of those games was Gears.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

toq5eXE.jpg

Great deal, I like white consoles but they are dust magnets. My white 360 started to look so dirty after a few months.

Have fun with your new console :)

The Switch has the standard price and storage of a tablet that powerful. It's just this year's model of the Nvidia Shield tablet with a Nintendo branding and no Android OS.

Well, a tablet without OS is not a tablet by definition. You can't install anything on switch except games and even that makes little sense because you can use carts....

Copenap

Some posters here do not get that it is not the goal to keep people from buying a Switch but to sell PS4s to everyone going into a store who does not find a Switch.

Xe4

Banned
Makes sense, drop the price and benefit from supply constraints. Build off the hype for the Switch without putting out a console of your own, clever : )

I find it funny people are getting mad at a console dropping in price. How that is a bad thing at all is beyond me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Makes sense, drop the price and benefit from supply constraints. Build off the hype for the Switch without putting out a console of your own, clever : )

I find it funny people are getting mad at a console dropping in price. How that is a bad thing at all is beyond me.

MS gotta be thinking, if we undsersupply Scorpio at launch are these guys going to pull the same move?

Xe4

Banned
MS gotta be thinking, if we undsersupply Scorpio at launch are these guys going to pull the same move?

They don't even have to be thinking that, guaranteed Sony is going to drop the Pro's price when Scorpio launches. It being supply constrained would fuck them greatly, especially considering the difference between PS4 and X1 is a lot smaller than PS4 and Switch.

ironmang

That doesnt make too much sense.

I think Switch will be very supply constrained, and the sales will be mostly from pre orders, so...?

Being supply constrained could work in their favor. You're going into the store to buy a Switch but it's sold out. Then there's a cheaper, more powerful PS4 that's shitting out great games left and right. If someone doesn't own one for whatever reason there's a huge temptation to buy one. Smart move.

jelly

Yeah, didnt you hear that they abandoning videogames industry on Monday?

It's just rather odd, sitting back and letting Sony snap up users with an amazing bundle. Maybe they don't see any offer making a dent that actually results in a profit.

despire

Seems to be working. Our store sold a shit ton of PS4's today. We had 500 and sold every one. Just goes to tell you that 199€ is the magic number many casuals are waiting for.

Dunno if anyone switched from Switch though..

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
When you are winning, you put your foot on the necks of your competitors. Even if temporary, this is a great move by Sony.

Top Bottom