• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: "Untitled Spiderman PS4 Project" incoming

TimFL

The more I think about it the more I feel like Sucker Punch could do a dope Spidey game. Man, and they'd have to render NYC which would be ambitious but not impossible...probably remain 30fps and possible 60fps on Ps4K.

Does anybody know how big the Seattle map was in ISS? Maybe if possible they could render the other boroughs or at least Queens since that's where Peter lives with his aunt but that might be too much, who knows

Not that big. If I had to guess from memory... you could use the complete ISS map (with the water parts inbetween filled with concrete) as roughly 1/4th (at best 1/3rd) of NYC.

NYC is a massive place with bootloads of variety (Chinatown etc).

I'm still not sure what kind of deal would Activision be accepting here.

Activision only has the movie tie-in rights left (they expire in 2017). Marvel owns the general Spidey gaming license. We've seen stuff like the MCU Spidey deal happening, Activision throwing in the towel a year early (freeing up the movie tie-in license) or Marvel allowing SIE to do a Spidey game as part of the MCU deal is not THAT far fetched.

TimFL

Given the timing, it's most likely the Marvel Studios-produced Spider-Man film (Spider-Man: Homecoming).

It sure as hell should be. I saw the new Cap movie and the new Spidey is awesome.
Maybe they'll even manage to get Holland to voice him, who knows? I was incredibly disappointed by the fact that they couldn't manage to get Garfield to reprise his role in the movie tie-ins.

Alexious

Not that big. If I had to guess from memory... you could use the complete ISS map (with the water parts inbetween filled with concrete) as roughly 1/4th (at best 1/3rd) of NYC.

Activision only has the movie tie-in rights left (they expire in 2017). Marvel owns the general Spidey gaming license. We've seen stuff like the MCU Spidey deal happening, Activision throwing in the towel a year early (freeing up the movie tie-in license) or Marvel allowing SIE to do a Spidey game as part of the MCU deal is not THAT far fetched.

So basically Marvel would be free to elect a developer (and publisher) of its own choice as long as the game didn't have any ties with the movies? I wasn't aware of that.

In this case, I guess it could happen. But I don't see Activision not renewing its own rights when the new Spider-man movies could be huge (early reception of Spider-man's appearance in Captain America 3: Civil War is very positive).

word. well like I said it'd be ambitious, but doable. i wouldn't even care if they just modeled the whole goddamn thing after algonquin (if they just asked rockstar) and made it more vitalized.

so what exactly is going on here? it's up to disney, not sony, correct? so why would this even be a Ps4 exclusive (other than the hypothetical possibility of SP deving it)?

like, what's sony got to do with it at all?

TimFL

so what exactly is going on here? it's up to disney, not sony, correct? so why would this even be a Ps4 exclusive (other than the hypothetical possibility of SP deving it)?

like, what's sony got to do with it at all?
No one knows for sure. What we know is that the movie tie-in rights are with Activision through 2017 but that could've changed in the last few months/years (Activision kind of killed all hopes for a good TASM2 tie-in by cutting the budget by 3/4th... could be they have no interest in tie-ins anymore).
The general Spidey gaming license (the keys to the kingdom that allow you to do pretty much everything you want) are back at Marvel/Disney.

Could be one of the following situations:
- It's no SP Spidey but a VR experience for PS4
- It's a movie tie-in (Activision called it a day early and Sony Pictures gave the tie-in license to SIE)
- It's part of the MCU Spidey deal (although I don't see why Sony Pictures would bargain for a SIE game, 2 different companies)
- SIE asked for the Spidey license and Marvel/Disney said yes (unlikely cause it seems that Marvel/Disney is trying to get back all kinds of licenses for both movies and gaming to do their own thing, Marvel Video Games Universe or whatever that is)
- It's the end of the world?

My bet is on Activision not wanting to do movie tie-ins anymore, giving the license back early (with Sony Pictures then allowing SIE/SP/whatever to do tie-ins).... or the PS4 exclusive being part of the MCU Spidey deal because let's face it: the MCU Spidey deal was a wet dream 2 years ago.

Ridley327

For anyone wondering why Activision would give up on the license, it's been clear for a while now that they've been dialing down any of their licensed output, especially now that Activision Value is no more. The Deadpool remaster was a total surprise, but the X-Men rights are a whole different can of worms in which nothing makes any sense.

No one knows for sure. What we know is that the movie tie-in rights are with Activision through 2017 but that could've changed in the last few months/years (Activision kind of killed all hopes for a good TASM2 tie-in by cutting the budget by 3/4th... could be they have no interest in tie-ins anymore).
The general Spidey gaming license (the keys to the kingdom that allow you to do pretty much everything you want) are back at Marvel/Disney.
and this is all because sony sold the merchandising rights of spidey way back when to disney, right? they shoulda never done that, i bet they're regretting it now

Could be one of the following situations:
- It's no SP Spidey but a VR experience for PS4
meh. i guess that would be cool but i'm not really super interested in vr right now. but i can see others being excited for that.
- It's a movie tie-in (Activision called it a day early and Sony Pictures gave the tie-in license to SIE)
welp, you know what they say about games based on movies...and movies based on games...if that's all it is i don't see why there'd be all this hidden hype behind it, movie-games usually don't have that.
- It's part of the MCU Spidey deal (although I don't see why Sony Pictures would bargain for a SIE game, 2 different companies)
you're saying this possibility means the deal they made last year could be not just about the MCU but about game licensing as well?
- SIE asked for the Spidey license and Marvel/Disney said yes (unlikely cause it seems that Marvel/Disney is trying to get back all kinds of licenses for both movies and gaming to do their own thing, Marvel Video Games Universe or whatever that is)
what indication is there that there's a marvel video games universe going on? i thought the only marvel games we had right now was that infinity shit
- It's the end of the world?
lol why are we even going there bro?
My bet is on Activision not wanting to do movie tie-ins anymore, giving the license back early (with Sony Pictures then allowing SIE/SP/whatever to do tie-ins).... or the PS4 exclusive being part of the MCU Spidey deal because let's face it: the MCU Spidey deal was a wet dream 2 years ago.
if activision lost the licenses why would they give it back to sony? wouldn't they be giving back to disney and then sony would have to try and get it after that?

For anyone wondering why Activision would give up on the license, it's been clear for a while now that they've been dialing down any of their licensed output, especially now that Activision Value is no more. The Deadpool remaster was a total surprise, but the X-Men rights are a whole different can of worms in which nothing makes any sense.

But Korra, Transformers and TMNT?

PS1 had an amazing Spiderman game. One of the few superhero titles I've actually enjoyed.

Not remembering the title, but I'm sure people know what I'm talking about.

a sucker punch spider man game is a system seller for me

damn

It actually is.

Their Infamous games are incredible, especially 2 and SS.

Feels very strange to have Sony holding a movie/third-party IP and giving it to a first-party studio, if this is real of course.

Last time I can remember those is those deals with Universal for Spyro and Crash....

TimFL

you're saying this possibility means the deal they made last year could be not just about the MCU but about game licensing as well?
Not about game licensing in general but what if they said "hey look... maybe you also allow us to do a PS4 Spidey game... you know... please?" and Marvel said "okay sure". You never know, the MCU Spidey deal itself came out of nowhere (well there was the Sony hack but you get what I mean).

what indication is there that there's a marvel video games universe going on? i thought the only marvel games we had right now was that infinity shit
There is this famous article from that one Marvel Games top dog who mentioned them trying to do what Feige did with the movies. Building a Marvel Video Games Universe that connects all of their games. I believe the guy also mentioned AAA console games coming with announcements in 2016. It's a polygon article and I'm sure it was linked already in this topic.

if activision lost the licenses why would they give it back to sony? wouldn't they be giving back to disney and then sony would have to try and get it after that?
Not sure how that one works but could very well be the case. The Activision deal was done before Sony Pictures goofed away the movie merchandising rights.

We do know that there is a Spidey game in development (the CV going private and instagram pic being deleted is evidence enough I guess?) so we'll have to wait and see.

phanphare

Banned
It actually is.

Their Infamous games are incredible, especially 2 and SS.

Feels very strange to have Sony holding a movie/third-party IP and giving it to a first-party studio, if this is real of course.

Last time I can remember those is those deals with Universal for Spyro and Crash....

Infamous never really appealed to me but some of that gameplay in a spider man game is hype as fuck

Kouichi

i can't get this fuckin thing off my mind now.

it needs to be revealed at e3.

Damn me too.

Sucker Punch is one of my top 3 favorite developers and Infamous is my favorite Sony IP, so if there's even a slight chance that they're making a Spider-man game, I can't help but get hyped at the possibility. Combine this with Civil War coming out soon, and the desire to know is just killing me.

TimFL

Damn me too.

Sucker Punch is one of my top 3 favorite developers and Infamous is my favorite Sony IP, so if there's even a slight chance that they're making a Spider-man game, I can't help but get hyped at the possibility. Combine this with Civil War coming out soon, and the desire to know is just killing me.

You'll feel even worse once you saw the Cap movie... believe me. My hype is off the scale after seeing the MCU Spidey. All I could think of during his scenes was "god I need a new Spidey game".

so did i get this right.

Sony owns the License for the Spiderman Movies while Disney/Marvel has the License for everything else? (Comics, Merchandise, Videogames)

So the Fact that Spiderman will appear on the new Marvel Movie is only happening because of the Deal they made with Sony?

Which means the same could happen with the Games?

JimiNutz

Banned
Hopefully this is one of those rumours that (if it isn't currently true) will eventually become reality if we make enough noise.

Spider-Man deserves a big budget AAA game from a respected developer. I can't see how a good Spider-Man game doesn't sell like crazy.

Suzzopher

so did i get this right.

Sony owns the License for the Spiderman Movies while Disney/Marvel has the License for everything else? (Comics, Merchandise, Videogames)

So the Fact that Spiderman will appear on the new Marvel Movie is only happening because of the Deal they made with Sony?

Which means the same could happen with the Games?

As far as anyone knows Activision still have the movie license and Disney/Marvel have the license for everything else.

TimFL

Do we know this for sure? Couldn't it have been part of the deal to get Spiderman in the MCU?

The MCU Spidey deal is a miracle in itself so could very well be that one of the bullet points in there says "Allow SIE to do a PS4 Spidey game". We'll find out soon... hopefully.

Hopefully this is one of those rumours that (if it isn't currently true) will eventually become reality if we make enough noise.

Spider-Man deserves a big budget AAA game from a respected developer. I can't see how a good Spider-Man game doesn't sell like crazy.
Yep, a Spiderman game that is as critically successful as Infamous and Infamous 2 would perform really well. Hitting that upper 80 range or above would guarantee loads of success.

Elandyll

Banned
Do we know this for sure? Couldn't it have been part of the deal to get Spiderman in the MCU?
It could, but that would mean the deal between Marvel and Sony was negociated at much higher level than anticipated
I've been of the opinion that Disney and Sony have been very cozy for a while now (even though some think the Infinity deal was only due to a buddy call)... I do think that they made a $billlion type deal that encompasses a ton of stuff, from Star Wars to Spiderman licences/ temp exclusives, and from Movies to Videogames.

Could be wrong and it may just be that Acti threw in the towel 1yr ahead of time, or settled for a little % of sales in exchange. We might never know.

Heck, maybe it's all part of a multi partnered deal Sony-Disney-Activision which may also involve
Crash

TimFL

Imagine this in VR........

It'd suck. VR is nowhere near the level we need it to be for a proper Spidey experience. You can't do Spidey justice with room-scale tracking only. I require full immersive VR booths that hook your brain directly into the game!

One day...

I don't really remember anything story-wise, sorry >_>

But I enjoyed the game quite a bit.
yeah i don't remember much about the story either, i just remember some kid telling me that when we were kids - could've been a different spidey game. but i do recall watching gameplay and venom going invisible. i also remember alternate costumes.
Not about game licensing in general but what if they said "hey look... maybe you also allow us to do a PS4 Spidey game... you know... please?" and Marvel said "okay sure". You never know, the MCU Spidey deal itself came out of nowhere (well there was the Sony hack but you get what I mean).
this would be dope if it's true.

There is this famous article from that one Marvel Games top dog who mentioned them trying to do what Feige did with the movies. Building a Marvel Video Games Universe that connects all of their games. I believe the guy also mentioned AAA console games coming with announcements in 2016. It's a polygon article and I'm sure it was linked already in this topic.
this thread is 10 pages deep but i guess i'll have to look through it

Not sure how that one works but could very well be the case. The Activision deal was done before Sony Pictures goofed away the movie merchandising rights.
even if it was done before sony gave up the merc rights that means they reverted to disney right? so we're back to square 1

We do know that there is a Spidey game in development (the CV going private and instagram pic being deleted is evidence enough I guess?) so we'll have to wait and see.
the nerdleaks tweets indicates it's best case scenario and sucker punch is developing it.
Damn me too.

infamous 1 is still the best inf game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm still not sure what kind of deal would Activision be accepting here.
I'm not sure why they would base the game on the movies.

That seems like the opposite of a good idea for creating a good game and it's not like Arkham City had any issues selling while being separate.

Ascenion

Infamous 2 is the greatest superhero game ever made just about. A Sucker Punch Spidey game is what the world needs, but I think we are unworthy.

Sucker Punch has always been good at traversal in their games. They give the player a sense of freedom not commonly seen in open world games.

If there is one developer who can make the proper swinging mechanics found in Spiderman 2, it has to be them.

Top Bottom