• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilian

Banned
All of this has me thinking how exhausting it's going to be this up-coming gen to discern the "native or upscaled" question (important to me, though not all granted) every time devs/pubs say "1080p". That the X1 scales automatically up to 1080p (as I understand it) is not going exactly going to help in this regard.

iMax

Were ps3 multiplats significantly worse the first few years? Refresh my memory... i dont feel like they were much different but maybe? This generation sure has been a long one I honestly can't even think of old multiplat games to compare

Skyrim?
;)

Were ps3 multiplats significantly worse the first few years? Refresh my memory... i dont feel like they were much different but maybe? This generation sure has been a long one I honestly can't even think of old multiplat games to compare

Oh hell yes. I remember those days all too well. When FEAR finally dropped on PS3 in 2007 - that ran like garbage. I'm sure others can cite a multitude of other examples.

They were, but usually not due to a rendering resolution difference; they tended to have worse framerate, texturing and/or tearing. I couldn't possibly downplay how inferior PS3 ports were at the beginning of the generation, I got a good laugh out of them.

That said, Xbone looks much worse off if it can't even reach the same target resolution. That's weak.

faberpach

Because it's bothering consumers, right here, right now. Look at how far this thread has gone. It seems to be a much bigger deal this time round.

Well this is NeoGaf if we did not make a deal of everything it would not be such a nice place to be.

Just What the actual Eff is going on.

It's a worrying precedent to a start of a new generation, one that makes me think twice about blindly dropping that amount of money on something totally unseen.

I think the safer be for me is PS4 first, see what happens at the start with reviews/tech analysis from DF/GAF and go from there.

It's just ludicrous for me to drop £430 on something that could be troubled at the start.

This could just be developing on too many platforms again cross gen and not enough time to work out the problems, the next CoD could be great on X1, but to play this version for 12 months if true? I'm not sure I can knowing there is a better version available on PS4.
The way it look in the ign video idk if im even gonna fuck with it. Ill just buy killzone if im getting ps4.

So losing all that market share didn't bother them ?

Sony salvaged what they could and it wasn't a total disaster , but it did have an affect , especially on software units sold.

I wouldn't say they lost market share because of games performing worse, that was more down to other factors. Poor online infrastructure, delayed launch, higher price, etc.

no wonder titanfall has a release date but no resolution confirmations. in every interview, respawn does not say anything about resolution and instead always says, "framerate is king." how is that an answer to "what resolution does the game run at?"

EmptySpace's energy density just shot up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
no wonder titanfall has a release date but no resolution confirmations. in every interview, respawn does not say anything about resolution and instead always says, "framerate is king." how is that an answer to "what resolution does the game run at?"

EmptySpace's energy density just shot up.

I remember a thread on here where they basically said "we'll see" on the resolution, so I was personally always prepped for 720p there.

This, though...jeez. Especially after watching the ps4 footage and comparing it to what bf4 is doing.

Derpcrawler

Were ps3 multiplats significantly worse the first few years? Refresh my memory... i dont feel like they were much different but maybe? This generation sure has been a long one I honestly can't even think of old multiplat games to compare.

Irregardless, there wasn't as drastic a difference between ps3/360 versions and this rumor of 1080p/720p. That is a GIANT gap. Almost generational, considering 360 games have been native 720p since basically launch in 2005.

The Darkness was running something like 540p on PS3 and true 720p on 360.

Rhindle

Do you expect this to improve significantly over time or do you think its just borked?
I'm sure further optimization of some magnitude will materialize. But I don't think anyone knows whether you can overcome the memory bandwidth problem entirely through software optimization. Their assumption was that the ESRAM setup, once properly exploited, will overcome the fact that no one has ever tried to pair a modern GPU with a low bandwidth memory pool.

You're right about the IP ownership but they're still likely to remain exclusive. And yes, I've been a devoted Halo fan since day one on Xbox OG. You're right about the affinity people hold for it. The new Halo game and the TV series will keep me tied to Xbox as long as it takes.

I don't see a reason to continue the partnership after it has already ran it's course. the series gained a following and could easily branch out to a multiplat title. I'm actually hoping it does because Gears was/is my go-to MP game this gen.

scoobs

Skyrim?
;)

Skyrim was a mess from what I've heard (i wouldnt know i play my elder scrolls games on PC where they belong :))

But wouldn't you say that was more of an outlier than the industry norm? Or cases where developers just didn't put much effort into their porst. I remember games like batman:AA and burnout being great on PS3 for instance. Call of Duty games were nearly identical across both too...

ekim

They should, but they won't.

Ah ok. Well I wouldn't be so sure about that. People still have fun with games like GTAV obviously. Of course it's largely disappointing that a next gen console can't render games like COD at 1080p but in the end, does it really matter for the majority of gamers out there? Do they go to sites like DF to compare the performance of mulitplats? I think not. So while it's really a bummer to see Titanfall and COD running at 720p, I don't think this particular news will change the game that much.

Seanspeed

Banned
Because Sony had the superior hardware and these problems were eventually solved through developer effort.

No developer effort can make Xbone go as fast as PS4, it's just weaker hardware. Every effort they make to squeeze something extra out of the Xbone will likely go an extra mile with the PS4 as well. It will always be a moving target to catch up with.

Xbone is fucked.
Well if its true that the developer environment is just making things difficult at the moment, there is definitely hope that things could improve in the future, just like with the PS3.

Not saying it'll ever become close to 'equalling out', but I think the system has proven that it can do better than this already, at least.

spwolf

Because Sony had the superior hardware and these problems were eventually solved through developer effort.

No developer effort can make Xbone go as fast as PS4, it's just weaker hardware. Every effort they make to squeeze something extra out of the Xbone will likely go an extra mile with the PS4 as well. It will always be a moving target to catch up with.

Xbone is fucked.

indeed, difference here should be big... i guess we will see in a month or so.

Rafterman

Banned
They should, but they won't.

That's nonsense, all you have to do is look at cross platform sales to see that this stuff hurt the PS3 as well and that people weren't quite as forgiving as you'd like to remember. No one gave the PS3 a pass when these same issues arose.

While we're on the subject of FPS - does anyone know if Knack is 1080p / 60fps? For some reason, I'm really in the mood to play that at launch. Perhaps even more so than KZ: Shadow Fall.

RulkezX

Wow I hadn't realised Alberto had posted , and double wow @ what he says about resolution , triple wtf wow that he expects me to believe that he can't tell the difference between 1280x 720 and 1920x1080.

Anyone find it amazing in about 3 years we will be PC gaming @ 4K at reasonable prices ( sub X1 prices ) and the X1 will be struggling along at 720-900p? .....

Now now, calm your tits and reduce your expectations. PC gaming with noticeably better graphics than PS4 at 4k in 3 years, for less than what the Xbone will cost (or even 500$|€ in EU)? You're quite the optimistic.

And no, wow or minecraft at 4k is not "PC Gaming".

KOHIPEET

Holy crap, over 500000 thread views already.

tumblr_m74n1pKtp21rn95k2o1_500.gif

commedieu

Banned
I think I get what he means...when both systems do well it generates competition. Competition is great for consumers.

To see one group (ms) blunder this way is in the end bad for everyone.
He is also referring to how stupid fan boy wars are...why should you be happy because someone else's product isn't quite as good?

I dont have to support a company that tried to ram bullshit down consumers throats because they figured they knew better, as it was designed by gamers. I dont have to pretend that I dont know.that cloud gaming is bullshit. I dont have to pretend I need to spend 500 dollars on weaker hardware. it is hilarious to watch Microsoft, as a company, try to hide and spin this from the public. their 180s are a direct response to the outrage at their bullshit antics.and that is also hysterical. they are flopping on the wharf and its epic.

people can buy garbage all they want, thats their right. but dont expect anyone else to treat their garbage as if its not, you know? its data, its numbers at this point. numbers and visuals that ms is trying to spim/avoid with words.

best days ive seen on gaf. consumers calling shit out, and not.just being a brand loyal doer.

Were ps3 multiplats significantly worse the first few years? Refresh my memory... i dont feel like they were much different but maybe? This generation sure has been a long one I honestly can't even think of old multiplat games to compare.

Irregardless, there wasn't as drastic a difference between ps3/360 versions and this rumor of 1080p/720p. That is a GIANT gap. Almost generational, considering 360 games have been native 720p since basically launch in 2005.

A large number of them ran considerably worse on PS3. That's where the lazy devs meme comes from.

Not sure I agree on your second. Hardly any of the 360 launch titles were native 720p and most games didn't really run 720p native until much later. Hell, most, if not all CoD titles have been 600p this gen.

42306_zps28d4fa91.gif

Anyway, I doubt if this ends up being the case it relates so much to the power of the system (although that presumably contributes) as it does to the architecture of the system. All because they needed a safe route to 8GB or RAM.

Shocked? I am too. I've been called an xbot more times than I care to remember!

Kron

Banned
The reason it didn't bother Sony was because people chose not to care about it. No way in hell will they be tolerant with MS.

How so? Why does one company have a get out of jail free card and the other is damned for all eternity in a gamefaqs esque tirade?

The good/bad of it is beyond the bubble of some gaming forums the average game buying public have no idea there are varying degrees of HD image let alone can probably tell a difference when sitting 5-6 feet from a TV.

I'm just amazed if it does turn out to be true that its even possible when there are 7+ years of hardware development between last and current gen. Are we looking at bad framerates again? If that happens I'm out with both systems.

It's pretty shambolic if IW can't make an average looking game like Ghosts run at 1080p on the Xbox when Crytek is getting arguably the best looking game of the next gen running at 900p. Thats the only reason I struggle to believe these rumours at the moment, unless IW are a bunch of imbeciles it just doesn't make sense. Only other possibility is that first party teams have some more advanced/beta drivers available to them which the third parties don't.

In the short term, I'm not bothered by this news, I have no interest in Ghosts, or the third party at launch (although I am getting FIFA 14 and probably BF4). If this is an issue which won't improve over the next few months, then it's a huge issue for me, but lets wait for some confirmation before doom and gloom.

On a little side note, for all those saying that the ESRAM is hard to program for and is causing the Xbox One issues, don't you realise that developers have been developing for this architecture on the Xbox 360 for the last decade? That's not going to be the issue here, immature drivers/unoptimised OS maybe, and if that's it, then it's reasonable to assume that things will get better over the next few months as Microsoft sorts their act out.

Cess007

Holy cow!! xD incredible gif!

What's the chances of 1080p still appearing on X1 game cases?

Sony need to add 'Native' just to make sure MS can't dupe anyone.

Wait, didn't someone posted a video of an unboxing from the Xbone version of CoD: Ghost? I didn't watched, but if there's already some copies of the game in the wild like that, shouldn't the case had printed the resolution of the game on the backside?

Goku

Banned
Ah ok. Well I wouldn't be so sure about that. People still have fun with games like GTAV obviously. Of course it's largely disappointing that a next gen console can't render games like COD at 1080p but in the end, does it really matter for the majority of gamers out there? Do they go to sites like DF to compare the performance of mulitplats? I think not. So while it's really a bummer to see Titanfall and COD running at 720p, I don't think this particular news will change the game that much.

What bothers me is that in current gen, people are oblivious to the differences in performance between 360 games and PS3 games. This time around, people make it seem as if it's their mission to let the whole world know how weak the Xbox One is.

scoobs

A large number of them ran considerably worse on PS3. That's where the lazy devs meme comes from.

Not sure I agree on your second. Hardly any of the 360 launch titles were native 720p and most games didn't really run 720p native until much later. Hell, most, if not all CoD titles have been 600p this gen.

well the fact that 360 games ran at 720p native at all should make the fact that big-time XB1 games are launching at the same resolution a little disconcerting, no? You'd hope to get some kind of upgrade in the resolution department alongside your $500 new shiny box, wouldn't you?

spwolf

Well if its true that the developer environment is just making things difficult at the moment, there is definitely hope that things could improve in the future, just like with the PS3.

Not saying it'll ever become close to 'equalling out', but I think the system has proven that it can do better than this already, at least.

problem is that PS3 was not weaker than 360, just more complicated, and you had games like Uncharted, Killzone and other first party games show superb graphics... while XB1 is significantly weaker console, there wont be "Killzone" that looks better than anything else on PS4.

Jibbed

So... if I'm not mistaken the footage we saw on IGN was PS4 right? and it looked like ass, I take it the lower resolution Xbox One version is.

Even fucking worse?

I've just caught up with this madness this morning in work.. wow.

MS should've just taken it on the chin and called it the Xbox 720.

kartu

Banned
Frankly, I'd prefer higher frame rate at 720, rather than chasing 1080p.at 30fps.

I don't believe if they walked up into a store and saw the Xbox One version and PS4 version side by side (if the resolution stuff is true) that they would notice.
Xbone 720p looks like PS4 1080p confirmed!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Wait, didn't someone posted a video of an unboxing from the Xbone version of CoD: Ghost? I didn't watched, but if he opened the box, shouldn't the case had printed the resolution of the game on the backside?

Unless I'm missing something a bunch of 360 and ps3 games already show 1080p on the back of the case even when they don't actually support that resolution.

Daffy Duck

Wait, didn't someone posted a video of an unboxing from the Xbone version of CoD: Ghost? I didn't watched, but if he opened the box, shouldn't the case had printed the resolution of the game on the backside?

It was the prestige edition posted, so it wasn't shown as he got a steel book inside and didn't show the back cover of the outer sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom