• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Chargers plan to announce that they are moving to Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
He chose a location nobody supported tied to a convention center annex nobody wanted and he's too poor to be a legitimate NFL owner. He has to take out a loan for the fucking relocation fee ffs.

Didn't know that, wow.. thanks.

but-why.gif

Because the Rams were an LA team for 40+ years before temporarily moving to STL. There were 2 generations of fans still living in LA and happy to see their team come home. They also played in Anaheim the last several years before last leaving, so they have a huge fan base in both LA and Orange counties.

Juicy Bob

This reporter on NFL Network right now, holy shit

Interviewing a heartbroken SD fan outside the stadium:

"So, what is it that you're actually upset about?"

"But you can just go down and drive 90 miles to go see them?"

Purexed

Banned
Fuck all the noise, as an LA football fan, I'm loving I'll have an option for a live game every Sunday.

I was a Rams season ticket holder this year, every game had great attendance, even vs. the Dolphins when it rained for half the game.

That logo though...

Nobody in LA or OC really wants the Chargers to be honest. They are going to really struggle to fill a stadium.

Didn't SD fans vote down a measure in Nov to approve paying for a new stadium with tourist hotel tax dollars? If so, why is this the Chargers fault for doing everything they could to stay, but simply cannot continue to play in one of the worst stadiums in the country? What is their alternative? My understanding was there really wasn't any.

Supposedly half the chargers Season ticket holders reside in OC

Because the Rams were an LA team for 40+ years before temporarily moving to STL. There were 2 generations of fans still living in LA and happy to see their team come home. They also played in Anaheim the last several years before last leaving, so they have a huge fan base in both LA and Orange counties.

Exactly. The Rams still need to sort things out on the field, and get the stadium built. That what you need to bring new fans in. One of the two is guaranteed, at least :p

johnny956

Fuck all the noise, as an LA football fan, I'm loving I'll have an option for a live game every Sunday.

I was a Rams season ticket holder this year, every game had great attendance, even vs. the Dolphins when it rained for half the game.

That logo though...

The later half of the season didn't have good attendance. Not even close

BFIB

Goodell: St. Louis is a football town. But not good enough for the Chargers even though we have funding for what the Rams would have got.

I have not watched one NFL game this year, I think I'm done for good. Sorry San Diego fans, I know this feeling. :(

ReAxion

Didn't know that, wow.. thanks.

that was the cap on a long list of blunders. the Chargers would say they've been trying for a number of years (they weren't) and in the past it wasn't entirely their fault. leading up to this recent measure, the city did offer a plan at the Qualcomm site that was as an opening measure to negotiate, which involved money from the county fund (the county is rich, the city itself is not) and thus a vote by the county (which would have been more successful) but the Chargers said "no, we want downtown" (real estate move, more valuable area) and didn't come to the table. The mayor, city council, and the hoteliers (who own downtown basically) didn't want any part of it. The mayor eventually waffled but way too late. basically for the last few years Spanos was trying to get public money to build a stadium for him using LA as a threat. the richer NFL owners can smell a beggar, told him to sit in the corner, so this last ditch effort without any real effort was destined to fail, but he gets to tell the NFL he tried and just couldn't make it work. I think the final tally between a modest stadium replacing the current one (as in not a billion dollar palace), including money from the Chargers, G4 loan, extra money from the NFL, and the city/county was about $100m. He couldn't find that. Meanwhile, as people say Kroenke's a shitty owner, he's still got the money to build his own castle.

mreddie

This reporter on NFL Network right now, holy shit

Interviewing a heartbroken SD fan outside the stadium:

"So, what is it that you're actually upset about?"

"But you can just go down and drive 90 miles to go see them?"

There's the issue. Fuck off NFLN.

C1_L45pWQAAGApJ.jpg

Chris R

Are they going to add additional temporary seating to Stubhub? Looks like they could potentially add a few thousand seats on the north end.

Didn't SD fans vote down a measure in Nov to approve paying for a new stadium with tourist hotel tax dollars? If so, why is this the Chargers fault for doing everything they could to stay, but simply cannot continue to play in one of the worst stadiums in the country? What is their alternative? My understanding was there really wasn't any.

Won't someone think of the poor Spanos family?

johnny956

Nobody in LA or OC really wants the Chargers to be honest. They are going to really struggle to fill a stadium.

Good, there is no reason to vote yes for it. Each team gets over $200 million a year in TV revenue. They do not need any public funding whatsoever. I'm glad the Rams moved from St. Louis. The fact that these teams hold cities hostage is ridiculous when the majority of fans just watch the games on TV

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

You're goddamn right we voted it down. Dude paid people to get signatures for a stadium on a site nobody wanted so he could get rich off of real estate development.

The reason why he wouldn't build a new stadium on the old site was because its not zoned for commercial or residential development and he couldn't get rich off it.

Fuck Dean Spanos. We'll live.

h1nch

I'm glad the Raiders didn't move to SA.

The only way I'd want an NFL team here is if:

1. They spend money renovating the Alamodome into an NFL-caliber venue, vs building a new stadium out in the sticks.
2. No public money is spent on item 1.

Also, any team that relocates here will always play second fiddle to the Spurs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This would have been a huge blow years ago when I still cared about football. It's mostly a curiosity now of watching how other people in town are reacting.

I think in the end we're all pretty united in thinking the idea to hand over a half-bil to an already rich guy was a dumb idea. The age of publicly funded stadiums are over.

kIdMuScLe

That logo though...

Good attendance record? And why you be a season ticket holder too? Me and family and friends were getting sideline tickets for like $25 a pop. Ticket prices fucking crater

johnny956

Playing in stadium with a 27,000 capacity. Huh.

They might fill it

Good attendance record? And why you be a season ticket holder too? Me and family and friends were getting sideline tickets for like $25 a pop. Ticket prices fucking crater

Seriously they were basically giving them away towards the end of the season and they couldn't sell out. If they still had the blackout rules, the 2nd half of the season fans in LA wouldn't have been able to watch them on TV

MikeRahl

The tourist tax dollars is great if the new measures actually manages to meet that goal. What do you think happens if it falls below projections? They don't just say we'll do better next time, it has to come from somewhere.

Best solution for all sports stadiums going forward is that absolutely no public money gets used for them. Studies have shown that there is very little if any economic benefit to the surround area anyways.

Barrage

Expect more moves going forward, now that more and more cities realize what a sink pouring public dollars into stadiums is.

Weevilone

Expect more moves going forward, now that more and more cities realize what a sink pouring public dollars into stadiums is.

It's tough to blame the billionaires when all they gotta do is play the move card and somebody gives them a stadium.. or lines pockets in some way. Just like businesses demanding tax deals and such or they move somewhere that will.

ErichWK

I've been a Chargers fan since birth. I love San Diego and will never move out of this city. This is my home. Every chargers sunday i grab two fucking dope burritos and take them to my dad's house and we sit..we don't talk about politics. We don't argue. We watch Philip Rivers make impossible throws and when we lose hilariously we laugh and shrug and say next year. We laugh and bond and it's amazing.

Now we don't have that anymore and that really breaks my heart. :/

He chose a location nobody supported tied to a convention center annex nobody wanted and he's too poor to be a legitimate NFL owner. He has to take out a loan for the fucking relocation fee ffs.

Taking out a loan to pay for something doesn't mean you are poor. You don't pay cash for anything in huge deals like this because once cash is spent its gone. You take out a loan because you can always fund a way to not pay it back in full if something happens. Pretty sure there is some tax manipulation going on with the loans as well.

norm9

The only football fans in LA are fans of teams from other states. This means we can all pretend we can afford to see our teams in person.

You know how I know you're a transplant?

Fuck that nonsense. There are fans of Raiders and Rams fans in LA. Chargers fans popped up around 94 or 95 when the teams left and the LA market were forced to watch regional Chargers football. Fans of other teams are either transplants or youngings with no sense of LA football history and chased winners like the Cowboys, Patriots, or Niners. Fuck them.

What a stupid move. Nobody in LA wants the Chargers. Playing in StubHub, too? Pathetic.

They're gonna fuck up the sweet grass at Stubhub.

Griss

The only good thing to come out of all of this is that now that there are two teams in LA the next time an owner goes to the public purse he won't have this 'move to LA' boogeyman to scare everyone with.

What major markets are out there that would be better than where teams currently are? Very few I'd wager. I guess there's no team in San Francisco currently. That place could do with one.

I've been a Chargers fan since birth. I love San Diego and will never move out of this city. This is my home. Every chargers sunday i grab two fucking dope burritos and take them to my dad's house and we sit..we don't talk about politics. We don't argue. We watch Philip Rivers make impossible throws and when we lose hilariously we laugh and shrug and say next year. We laugh and bond and it's amazing.

Now we don't have that anymore and that really breaks my heart. :/

Damn, man. That's like me and my dad with rugby. That hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom