• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Having faith in Platinum is almost a joke in 2017. They are so hit and miss with so many B and C teams you never know what Platinum you're going to get.

I love their style to death but man have their recent releases been so mediocre.

I think only their obviously low budget efforts fall into that description. I've enjoyed every single one of their higher budget games I've played.

I even remember the Korra producer in an interview saying something like:

"When I got the list of developers I could choose from to head this project, I asked 'Are you serious? Are they really an option?'"

The idea isn't that Platinum will always deliver a GOTY no matter what, that everything they touch turn into gold. The idea is that, for the budget available, it would be very hard to find someone better to do it.

are you telling us they got nothing in the cook pot for scorpio ?

Scorpio is not a new generation - its a mid-generation upgrade a la PS4 Pro. MS has said this multiple times; fans on boards & on twitter are the ones who keep hyperbolicly speculating that its more than what MS is saying. All X1 games work on Scorpio; there aren't going to be Scorpio exclusive games outside of the Oculus VR deal MS is set to announce at E3 2017.

Obviously, MS is going into E3 and they're going to use Halo 6, Forza 7, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves to help highlight the feature set that the Scorpio has to offer. But the biggest difference you're going to hear about is Native 4K, some better features for games when running on 1080p/Supersampling for 1080p users.

If you're thinking this is a new generation, then you can just dash those expectations right now. Its not, it never was, and MS has specifically gone out of their way to correct this expectation, even though pockets of fans are refusing to listen.

wapplew

i dont know but i have a hard time believing theyre gonna launch a system with 0 new games, new as in not announced in fucking 2014

thats pitiful as fuck and would definitely make me hesitate to buy scorpio no matter what the specs

PS4 Pro announce and release with zero new first party game too.

i dont know but i have a hard time believing theyre gonna launch a system with 0 new games, new as in not announced in fucking 2014

thats pitiful as fuck and would definitely make me hesitate to buy scorpio no matter what the specs

Of course they'll have new games

Forza 7 will launch with Scorpio. Halo 6 could be in that launch window too. They'll have some prominent indie and 3rd party titles to promote.

But if people are expecting some brand new huge first party exclusive AAA with it I have no idea who's going to make that, we pretty much know what their studios are doing

For what it's worth, the context that MS actually canned Scalebound a little while ago makes the situation possibly a little less dire, since we probably would have already heard of Platinum having to lay people off if they didn't have something else lined up to put people on and pay the bills .

Unless the thing about them contracting a lot of the development work out to do the heavy lifting ended up meaning that not much of Platinum proper is at risk.

I believe the current account is that Scalebound was canceled in the last few weeks. I may be incorrect on that though

DieH@rd

Banned
All these people saying fuck MS when it sounds like Platinum were the ones who couldn't deliver.

0364_mnnr.gif

Activision.

The two companies are actually very similar lately, as far as their singular objectives to drive costs down and maximize ROI on a few successful products.

Yeah, that's what it comes down to- less "we're fucked as a company" (though there's a bit of that too, maybe) and more wanting to focus on "service" games that lean on DLC/microtransactions, annual releases, etc. over $60 single-player games.

Sony and Squeenix seem to be pivoting in the opposite direction, putting an increasing number of chips on games like GR2, Nier, and Bloodborne- titles that don't set sales records but are budgeted modestly enough that they don't need to and have a proven enough audience that they're safe bets in their own way.

you honestly think this thread is so big now because people want to feign concern and not because they were actually looking forward to the game?

Guilty as charged. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Nothing is really going to change my mind about that, so we can just all agree to disagree and move on to discussing other things.

It sucks that this thing is cancelled, but it really wasn't looking like the game people hoped it had the potential of being. The warning signs were there. After all these years they couldn't give us a decent stretch of straight gameplay footage showcasing something that had the appearance of living up to the great potential that the team behind it suggested should be there.

Shouldn't Cuphead be out by now, it feels like I've been hearing about that game forever.

In development for, what, seven years? Defintely heard about it first around five to six years ago.

My hype for that game has went downhill due to the wait. I hope it's still as awesome as it looked.

Jarmel

Banned
I think the only people who think Scalebound was a AAA game must be Xbox fanboys or people who WANTED it to be a AAA game. Especially looking how the games production went, like how it kept getting uglier in technology showings, no one should ever think the game was a AAA game. They've got their pirate game for online multiplayer, and all their other multiplayer games, like Gears and Halo that are already AAA games. And people, realistically knowing Microsofts record with Japanese games, knew this was never going to be a successful AAA game. As seen in my other posts, Nier won't be a AAA success. It appeals to a certain fanbase of people who will dedinitely buy it but just like the original Nier, it's a niche game. As was Scalebound. The One will never be able to be pushed into Western markets with a Japanese game. The 360 has some success in that area but these are different times. And I'm saying this as a One owner.

lol wut

Of course this was a AAA game. Are you being fucking daft? It was announced on stage at E3 and every single piece of marketing has played up the size and scale.

Just because the game was ugly doesn't mean that Microsoft wasn't pouring money into it. AAA refers to the budget.

Its a pity we never got the see the music system and more on depth of things mentioned, all we got to see was a boss battle and basic walking/flying.

cakely

There it is. I missed that word lol. Nope, just telling it like it is. Where was this level of interest in the actual fucking game? Now all of a sudden people really want to play it and are so broken up about it being canceled. I will repeat what I said. Most of the people making this so large didn't give a shit, and I'm okay with saying that.

When you tell me that most of an eighty page thread consists of people "deliberately feigning interest and want to use the cancellation of the game as a means of attacking Microsoft", and then you tell me you're just "telling it like it is", then, yes, the phrase "persecution complex" applies.

Scalebound being cancelled is probably the biggest gaming news so far this year, so, yes, this is going to be a huge thread.

UrbanRats

I think only their obviously low budget efforts fall into that description. I've enjoyed every single one of their higher budget games I've played.

I even remember the Korra producer in an interview saying something like:

"When I got the list of developers I could choose from to head this project, I asked 'Are you serious? Are they really an option?'"

The idea isn't that Platinum will always deliver a GOTY no matter what, that everything they touch turn into gold. The idea is that, for the budget available, it would be very hard to find someone better to do it.
Yeah, evidently people expect miracles from them.
Transformers kinda is, too.

Jigorath

Banned
I think the only people who think Scalebound was a AAA game must be Xbox fanboys or people who WANTED it to be a AAA game. Especially looking how the games production went, like how it kept getting uglier in technology showings, no one should ever think the game was a AAA game. They've got their pirate game for online multiplayer, and all their other multiplayer games, like Gears and Halo that are already AAA games. And people, realistically knowing Microsofts record with Japanese games, knew this was never going to be a successful AAA game. As seen in my other posts, Nier won't be a AAA success. It appeals to a certain fanbase of people who will dedinitely buy it but just like the original Nier, it's a niche game. As was Scalebound. The One will never be able to be pushed into Western markets with a Japanese game. The 360 has some success in that area but these are different times. And I'm saying this as a One owner.

I don't think you define AAA games the way most people define AAA games.

singhr1

I agree with this mostly.

I feel like MS/Platinum tried very hard to make it appeal to a wider audience with it's character designs, co-op inclusion, and marketing but it just wasn't clicking together.

So what's taking so long then? 😡
I'm kidding, but seriously hurry up so can give you and your team money

PA as publisher was for our last two games. Our current project is self-published. Which also brings up a good point - an experienced producer to keep the project schedule in line and make the hard cuts when necessary would have been invaluable.

farisr

Cuphead keeps getting delayed and keeps changing gameplay,I hope its not the next exclusive to get cancelled...and the Scorpio is a biggger jump from the X1 then the PRO is to the PS4 I believe.
Cuphead will be fine. Also, I don't know why you wrote the second part of your sentence, the thread is moving fast so maybe I missed the person you're replying to, but yeah X1 to Scorpio is a bigger jump than PS4 to Pro. Also, the jump from XB1 to PS4 is almost as big as the jump from Pro to Scorpio as well.

Well is some crappy news to come home to :(. It's been one of my anticipated games for the past 2 years and to hear it get cancelled just f'in blows.

Regginator

RIP people who bought an Xbox One for Scalebound.

Before it was announced on PC.
Before it got cancelled.

Buying systems for unrealised games is stupid

Honestly? Yeah. A bit. Go look back at almost any Scalebound thread. They're pretty barren.

The most you see Scalebound mentioned is in the 2017 Flop thread. It's even in the OP.

Hi, I'm a Scalebound fan for whom it was my most anticipated game. Never once posted in any of those threads, I don't think.

I'm extremely saddened by news of its cancellation.

I was less and less interested in the game the more we saw and heard about it, but this news is mainly sad for the reason that this was several years out of Kamiya we won't get back. By all appearances he was dying to ship a dragon game.

It will be interesting to see if the terms of the cancellation permit something like a Bayonetta intervention. I doubt it, but it would be helpful to hear from someone more familiar with how Microsoft usually handles IP rights with second-party projects under their Game Studios publishing arm. (Unless this has already happened in this thread; I confess I haven't read all eighty pages.) It's certainly not in Microsoft's interests like it was in Sega's to release any rights they are squatting on (all the way down to the assets) to a hardware competitor.

Neonep

I don't understand why people are immediately taking this as an anti-microsoft thing
Because Microsoft is now forming a habit of cancelling games and Platinum up until this point have been able to work with plenty of different companies and maintain a solid relationship with all of them except Microsoft.

When you tell me that most of an eighty page thread consists of people "deliberately feigning interest and want to use the cancellation of the game as a means of attacking Microsoft", and then you tell me you're just "telling it like it is", then, yes, the phrase "persecution complex" applies.

Scalebound being cancelled is probably the biggest gaming news so far this year, so, yes, this is going to be a huge thread.

Yes, but only by default. In three months, it'll be forgotten.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
RIP people who bought an Xbox One for Scalebound.

Before it was announced on PC.
Before it got cancelled.

Buying systems for unrealised games is stupid

I bought a Wii U for Bayonett 2 and ot fucking delivered.

All this means is Microsoft isnt reliable and they shouldnt be trusted as a publisher.

Good thing Platinum isnt owned by Microsoft because they would have been shut down right about now.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wonder if Phil Spencer still grabs his BELOW tee from that closet also full of game dev skeletons he's racking up.

Promising? That's not what I said after watching the gameplay video. The game looked awful. Bad graphics, dull, gameplay ... I have watched the video a couple of times and never made it to the end.

oh well. I wasn't following this game closely. I just vaguely remembered there were dragons you could ride.

BTW your link doesn't work...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
My take on all this, and I've been seeing this for a while, is that Microsoft is transitioning all their games to the 'live service' model.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
Basically Microsoft want to have their games emulate what Minecraft has been able to do.
Long lifecycle, large user base, Increased spend.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
Microsoft's future direction is about being able to offer the Xbox games and live services on multiple devices that run Windows 10.

If this becomes a trend I will be out of touch because this is the polar opposite of what I want out of games. Plus it does not work for every genre.

Thoraxes

Aw man, that sucks. I mean, the early footage didn't look like something I wanted, but it still looked like a cool concept I'm sure others would've wanted.

KZObsessed

Holy shit. I only saw one gameplay showing for this and it didn't look good, but still shocked they'd just outright cancel it. Microsoft are a brutal publisher.

Hopefully Nier: Automata turns out decent :/ Platinum are stretching themselves too thin.

Shame a thread that potentially had new gameplay or information wouldn't turn out quite as big. And let's not act like what I describe is something totally bizarre and has never happened. But, yea, done with the subject. I just know I was genuinely interested and hoping this game turned out great, and intended to put my money where my mouth was. It was the #1 thing I wanted to see at Microsoft's presser last E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom