• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bEAST1N_G

I feel like we need some updates to the OP or some sticky posts particularly for:

- cuphead will not/can not get canceled, its independent
- Microsoft owns the Scalebound IP so Sony or Nintendo can't save it

Couldn't they just reuse the assets and publish the game under a different name. Similar to demon souls > dark souls.

Arthur Gies, since we're talking about Platinum, here's his description of Vanquish

He's Polygon's review editor.

Vanquish...clunky? Whoever he is, this more or less invalidates his opinions. You can hate the game all you want, but it is one of the smoothest controlling games ever created, regardless of genre.

Vanquish clunky! That's like saying "Mario Galaxy has a bland color scheme" or some shit.

You forgot Quantum Break in the mix! lol

E3 2014 Microsoft Exclusives Shown:

1. Fable Legends: Cancelled
2. Project Spark: Cancelled
3. Ori and the Blind Forest: Came out 2015, 360 version cancelled?
4. Inside: Came out 2016
5. Below: Unreleased
6. Phantom Dust: Cancelled
7. Crackdown: Unreleased
8. Scalebound: Cancelled
9. Halo 5: Came out 2015

E3 2014 Sony Exclusives Shown:

1. Deep Down: Unreleased
2. Eve: Valkyrie: Came out 2016
3. Let It Die: Came out 2016
4. The Order: 1886: Came out 2015
5. The Witness: Came out 2016
6. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture: Came out 2015
7. Bloodborne: Came out 2015
8. No Man's Sky: Came out 2016
9. Ratchet & Clank: Came out 2016
10. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End: Came out 2016

True Fire

Are there any users who voted Microsoft the winner of E3 2014? Where are you? What are your thoughts?

Leyasu

Banned
Yeaah, this is pretty damn disgusting if true. And like clockwork, that dumbass tool Gies is right on queue to defend daddy MS.

Obviously I have to be careful here. Any suspected support of Microsoft could see me hung, drawn and quatered.

But, why didn't the whistleblower who is on the ground with the devs not tweet this months ago??

Randomizer

This has really pissed me off. What a waste of four years that the team could have spent elsewhere. Knowing I'll have to wait years to play the next Kamiya game is extremely disappointing. I hope this situation hasn't burned him or the rest of the team out. Kamiya leaving Platinum or the industry would be a terrible loss.

Gaz_RB

This is just downright bad for Xbox. Really no coming out of this without a black mark on their PR record.

They need to reinvent their strategy ASAP or they're going the way of the Dreamcast. You could tell by the reveal of the Xbox One that they were already trying to move away from gaming.

hohoXD123

Wow, I knew Sony was killing it, but it's not even a contest. I feel like there has to be something not right here, haha.
I mean, the MS list would be bigger if it didn't exclude PC. As a gamer I don't see why that is a good thing, their shift to focusing more attention on PC is one of the few things I like about MS recently if anything.

An opportunity to shit on Platinum and defend Microsoft, of course Gies would jump on that like a free for all buffet.
I have tried to avoid reading tweets by him for a while now but I'll bite what controversial thing is he spewing this time?

Lol who is that tool replying to him like no its platinums fault

Not an Arthur Gies fan, but in this case he's correct. Scalebound demoed like shit and Platinum had 4 years. At what point would it have been acceptable for MS to say 'nah, we're done here.'? How much good money after bad?

RooMHM

Microsoft is the biggest plague of videogames today. They make fucking graveyards everywhere.

Roboculus

Some have speculated they have just changed course and decided to do games as a service and didn't want to put anymore funds into scalebound.

But Scalebound and Fable Legends seemed like they were gonna be service games. Also I'm pretty sure Phantom Dust was also gonna have multiplayer so I don't think they cancelled them because they were against the idea of these particular games.

The articles cities troubled development as a reason for why it got cancelled. And games with a troubled development getting cancelled isn't out of the ordinary.

What sticks out more is the fact that it's happened multiple times for MS in the last couple of years (and with games that have been publicly demoed multiple times). A lot of these kinds of games tend to be quietly cancelled (like Sony Santa Monica's game or that game Oblivion was working on for MS). So if anything, MS should stop announcing games too early (though judging from their last couple of E3's, I think maybe they've already started).

Maxrunner

I feel like we need some updates to the OP or some sticky posts particularly for:

- cuphead will not/can not get canceled, its independent
- Microsoft owns the Scalebound IP so Sony or Nintendo can't save it
Ms specialty these last years is owning ips for sure.

There is a writer on twitter saying he was close to one of the platinum devs and says they were played pretty much the same way the Phantom Dust devs were. They were given insane milestones and withheld funding for the past year. So that seems to be MS's go to when they want to get out of a contracted game.

If true, that is shady as fuck, Kamiya must be crushed.

Replicant

I don't think Kamiya is the easiest guy to work with. He's a rebel to the point of parody. He's made his thoughts about "the suits" and focus-tested game design clear numerous times.

If even a quarter of the things we hear about Microsoft's style are true, then I imagine their relationship was terrible. Hope Kamiya bounces back with all the fire he normally has, and hope that neither company is hit too hard.

He's pretty rude judging from his twitter tirade to say the least. And I'm guessing his attitude doesn't gel well with how MS running the business, who can be pretty cutthroat and shady as well.

There is a writer on twitter saying he was close to one of the platinum devs and says they were played pretty much the same way the Phantom Dust devs were. They were given insane milestones and withheld funding for the past year. So that seems to be MS's go to when they want to get out of a contracted game.

Yup.

Interesting that the CNET AU writer claims to have known about MS sabotaging Platinum for awhile but didn't think it was worthwhile to...write about it, or pass the information to someone who would.

Eolz

Since I talked about this I should probably post the twitter.

Link

He seems pretty open and identified but who knows.

Posted above had to go find him again. Seems to work with CNET AU.

Holy shit, seems pretty close to the truth. Also, goddamn Polygon, stop already.

The AAA industry would be in big trouble if such thing happens, Sony alone can't hold AAA gaming :(

And why is that ? People who buy only single console would simply but the last one remaining or go for pc. So total base of active users would be similar for AAA develop.

Also having all games targeting only one console would reduce development and logistic costs.

Sydle

C1w1ZtRUcAARJe1.jpg:large

I'm sure back in mid 2015 they had intended to release the game. Sounds like thing went south in late 2015 or 2016?

Wereroku

Obviously I have to be careful here. Any suspected support of Microsoft could see me hung, drawn and quatered.

But, why didn't the whistleblower who is on the ground with the devs not tweet this months ago??

Seems like he didn't know it was being cancelled just that the devs weren't very happy. But who knows it could be false but he is not just an anon source like 4chan so it has a bit more weight.

Vanquish...clunky? Whoever he is, this more or less invalidates his opinions. You can hate the game all you want, but it is one of the smoothest controlling games ever created, regardless of genre.

Vanquish clunky! That's like saying "Mario Galaxy has a bland color scheme" or some shit.

Vanquish required the use of all four trigger buttons. Now I know some people do that strange claw thing and it is natural to press both buttons down. But I only use one finger on each side to press one trigger or the other. This is just what I'm used to and it works for 99.9% of games.

It does not work for vanquish, so for my hands it is clunky as fuck.

Which isn't to say it is the same for others, but he is not necessarily wrong to have that opinion.

Gurish

The last time Sony held absolute dominance over the gaming industry without real competition we had one of the greatest, if not the best, run of games ever on the ps2.

This weird notion that one company being inherently dominant is bad is just flat out wrong. In fact, there's a strong argument to make that for video games we would all be better off if there wasn't only one console and everyone made games for that.

Not talking about Sony being dominant, this is what happens now actually, I'm talking about a scenerio in which they are being alone altogether after MS quit and Nintendo keep doing their own things (their own not really powerful things), I find it hard to believe good things will come out of a monopoly, during the PS2 days Sony still had competition they needed to best and put effort in, this is not the same.

Not an Arthur Gies fan, but in this case he's correct. Scalebound demoed like shit and Platinum had 4 years. At what point would it have been acceptable for MS to say 'nah, we're done here.'? How much good money after bad?

Im reading the writers tweets and he agrees that alot of platinums third party stuff isnt good but that Scalebound is all on Microsoft and that Platinum were denied resources soo

demigod

Ah, here's what I was looking for

XucL0OR.jpg

July 2015: "Those shits at MS...are they fucking with me?"

So, let's set a timeline HEAVY with speculation. Game was announced at E3 2014 without much notice. It skipped E3 2015, but showed up at Gamescom that year in August with an announcement of four-player co-op, which was shown off with a much rougher game in E3 2016's conference. The game was then cancelled soon after.

My guess is that, in July, Kamiya was told he had to rejigger the game into a four-player co-op thing. There were never any hints he wanted to make the game a Monster Hunter-like, but I am guessing people in charge of money were expecting him to do so. It gets announced, shown off, and the response is tepid. Changing tides at Microsoft, a desire to free up the UE4 team they put together to work with Kamiya, and being unhappy with the state of the game lead to it being cancelled.

If my guess is correct, that's really sad.

I was going to speculate this as well but it looks like you got it covered. It made no sense that a game went from single player to multiplayer unless it was "forced" by MS execs. Kamiya just got played.

I've said it before during E3 2015, the game looked like dog shit. Anyone who thought the game looked and played good were delusional. Even Quantum Break looked better.

And people really need to stop with the nintendo/sony saving this game. NO nintendo/sony fan wants this trash looking game. My guess will be the next PG game that gets announced won't be on xbox at all.

sam777

Full List of upcoming Xbox One exclusive† games with both a developer and publisher listed:

• Natsuki Chronicle (2017)
  • Candleman (Q1 2017)
  • Mystereet F: The Detectives’ Curtain Call (TBA)
  • Students of the Round 2 (TBA)

Likewise, here is the PS4 list by the same definition:
  • Gravity Rush 2 (20-Jan-17)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (24-Jan-17)
  • Nioh (7-Feb-17)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (28-Feb-17)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (28-Mar-17)
  • MLB The Show 17 (28-Mar-17)
  • Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (Q2 2017)
  • DJMax Respect (Jul-17)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (2017)
  • Dreams (2017)
  • Gran Turismo Sport (2017)
  • Hot Shots Golf (2017)
  • Nex Machina: Death Machine (2017)
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (2017)
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017)
  • Vane (2017)
  • Wattam (2017)
  • Wipeout Omega Collection (2017)
  • Ace Combat 7 (TBA)
  • Dangun Feveron (TBA)
  • Days Gone (TBA)
  • Detroit: Become Human (TBA)
  • Earth Defense Force 5 (TBA)
  • God of War (TBA)
  • Godling (TBA)
  • Gundam Versus (TBA)
  • Knack 2 (TBA)
  • The Last of Us Part II (TBA)
  • MatterFall (TBA)
  • Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin (TBA)
  • Ready to Run (TBA)
  • Spider-Man (TBA)
  • Trails of Cold Steel III (TBA)
  • Vector (TBA)
  • VizionEck (TBA)
  • WiLD (TBA)
  • The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 (TBA)
  • Without Memory (TBA)

---
†: Exclusive defined here as a game that is on the xbox one and no other platform, including PC

What is the point of excluding the PC side of things when MS have clearly stated that all their first party games from now on will also be on PC.

The last time Sony held absolute dominance over the gaming industry without real competition we had one of the greatest, if not the best, run of games ever on the ps2.

This weird notion that one company being inherently dominant is bad is just flat out wrong. In fact, there's a strong argument to make that for video games we would all be better off if there wasn't only one console and everyone made games for that.
Your leaving free money on the table if you think companies would accept a one-console future. EA has probably thought long and hard about making consoles. They have the games to rival the competition and they can do it. Choices are always gonna exist.

Until Dawn was also shown in 2014 and was released the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom