• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixx

Nintendo looking better than Microsoft to be honest. It's really looking rough from a first party output standpoint. I like the xbox one, but damn. 2017 is going to be one interesting year thats for sure.

gatti-man

1st party games aren't about milestones they are about brining unique content to the platform. Sony gets that, MS does not. It's entirely frustrating since Sony needs competition to be its greatest self.

borges

Banned
E3 2014 Microsoft Exclusives Shown:

1. Fable Legends: Cancelled
2. Project Spark: Cancelled
3. Ori and the Blind Forest: Came out 2015, 360 version cancelled?
4. Inside: Came out 2016
5. Below: Unreleased
6. Phantom Dust: Cancelled
7. Crackdown: Unreleased
8. Scalebound: Cancelled
9. Halo 5: Came out 2015

E3 2014 Sony Exclusives Shown:

1. Deep Down: Unreleased
2. Eve: Valkyrie: Came out 2016
3. Let It Die: Came out 2016
4. The Order: 1886: Came out 2015
5. The Witness: Came out 2016
6. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture: Came out 2015
7. Bloodborne: Came out 2015
8. No Man's Sky: Came out 2016
9. Ratchet & Clank: Came out 2016
10. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End: Came out 2016

Since when The Witness is PS exclusive?

Scalebound itself wasn't that important. It is what it represented that matters... I swear the next major project/group to be canned is probably going to be Rare. And growing up with Rare, that would be pretty tragic.

Like the day that Sega exited the gaming market. And yes, they are still there, but they really aren't.

Rare was releasing like 2-3 titles a year on N64. Now look at them.

Guymelef

There is a writer on twitter saying he was close to one of the platinum devs and says they were played pretty much the same way the Phantom Dust devs were. They were given insane milestones and withheld funding for the past year. So that seems to be MS's go to when they want to get out of a contracted game.

You know, both were part of the 2014 E3 CG fest from Microsoft just to "counter" PS4 momentum.

Mechazawa

The game looked abso-fucking-lutely dreadful at E3 and completely unbefitting of the polished mechanics Platinum are known for, so this is unsurprising.

Someone light the Schreir signal, I wanna know what happened behind the scenes.

Damn. 2 indy games and a Halo. Also Inside ended up multi platform.

woodypop

giphy.gif
What is this gif from? (the eyes bugging out--lol)

I actually went "woah!"

That's nuts. I feel bad for those who worked hard to make it happen. They must be really down about this. Man, what a rough, rough, business, at times.

Haven't nailed down final specs yet. I would be afraid to post something only to have it change down the line when we do more optimizing.

EDIT: On topic, I think a move towards service games is just a portent of gaming's future. Games are expensive and iterating on existing content and incentivizing long term play just seems to be the nature of the beast as game budgets increase.

That said, as more games move towards a specific model and play type (multiplayer, incremental), it opens up the market for others to fill the void. I do think that the 10-12 hour single player game is dying, but I don't think it will ever die; the vacuums will be filled, but they'll likely happen at a lower price point.

Game budget increase because companies want a movie experience. Hiring expensive writers, voice actors etc etc. Budget is spiraling out of control because these developers want to match what the movie industry is doing. I see some games and I hear such game cost $30 million to make and I ask myself "Where the hell did that $30 million go?". There were articles that 600 people were involved in making RE6. Did Capcom really need that many people to make the game. If games cost a lot to make its because companies are making it head to that direction. Did Call of Duty really need Kevin Spacey or Conor McGregor and Lewis Hamilton? No it didn't.

Anticol

Banned
Tweet I was referencing.

Oh Mr.Gies on the MS defense force, he's been applying for a MS position for a long time but still no offers? He is pretty dumb if he thinks MS will pay him to represent them when he is been doing it for free, need to change your strategy Arthur or that offer will never come.

Gurish

And the sad thing is that even the released exclusive Inside released on PS4 shortly after.

Sydle

I'm worried about X-Box, I feel like if Scorpio won't change things significantly for them than that's it, they are out.

The AAA industry would be in big trouble if such thing happens, Sony alone can't hold AAA gaming :(

The gap would be filled by someone. Also, Sony's doing a pretty good job.

Maledict

I'm worried about X-Box, I feel like if Scorpio won't change things significantly for them than that's it, they are out.

The AAA industry would be in big trouble if such thing happens, Sony alone can't hold AAA gaming :(

The last time Sony held absolute dominance over the gaming industry without real competition we had one of the greatest, if not the best, run of games ever on the ps2.

This weird notion that one company being inherently dominant is bad is just flat out wrong. In fact, there's a strong argument to make that for video games we would all be better off if there wasn't only one console and everyone made games for that.

yunbuns

As an Xbox gamer since the beginning, this isn't just about Scakebound. I wasn't hugely hyped for the game itself, I was excited that MS was putting some effort into something different. Something not Halo, Gears or Forza. I love all three of those franchises, but I would also like something different. I've supported this company since the beginning, back when they showed they gave a shit about the games space.

I've been disappointed over and over again this past gen. That conker tease which turned out to be Project Spark actually hurt, as a huge fan of the series I was legitimately angry that they played with us Conker fans like that.

Then Phantom Dust happens, I was extremely excited and was in shock when it was announced. Of course it gets cancelled or whatever the hell happened.

Fable 4 or whatever Lionhead was working on before Legends sounded so interesting. Canned.

I won't be seeing sequels to games like SSO or Ryse which I actually enjoys quite a bit either.

What are these guys doing? This is depressing as hell for me. I'm just rambling...

Hope Kamiya is alright.

The Fable one still hurts... sighs

So basically, Microsoft cancelled their Order 1886 and No Man's Sky rather than launching them as horrible disappointments?

zeexlash

Truly disappointing announcement, a new Platinum game is always something to look forward to and to have this as an exclusive was a really nice coup for Microsoft.

Hope they'll be replacing it with something equally cool..

There is a writer on twitter saying he was close to one of the platinum devs and says they were played pretty much the same way the Phantom Dust devs were. They were given insane milestones and withheld funding for the past year. So that seems to be MS's go to when they want to get out of a contracted game.

Tweet I was referencing.

that's a mighty claim

would be royally fucked up if true

I guess we'll find out soon enough

Man how unfortunate, it was easily one of most anticipated games on the platform. I can only hope the Platinum Games staff recover from this ordeal, sounds like the project was too grand in scope for them.

Inviusx

How embarrassing.

viHuGi

Banned
Full List of upcoming Xbox One exclusive† games with both a developer and publisher listed:

• Natsuki Chronicle (2017)
  • Candleman (Q1 2017)
  • Mystereet F: The Detectives’ Curtain Call (TBA)
  • Students of the Round 2 (TBA)

Likewise, here is the PS4 list by the same definition:
  • Gravity Rush 2 (20-Jan-17)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (24-Jan-17)
  • Nioh (7-Feb-17)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (28-Feb-17)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (28-Mar-17)
  • MLB The Show 17 (28-Mar-17)
  • Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (Q2 2017)
  • DJMax Respect (Jul-17)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (2017)
  • Dreams (2017)
  • Gran Turismo Sport (2017)
  • Hot Shots Golf (2017)
  • Nex Machina: Death Machine (2017)
  • Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (2017)
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017)
  • Vane (2017)
  • Wattam (2017)
  • Wipeout Omega Collection (2017)
  • Ace Combat 7 (TBA)
  • Dangun Feveron (TBA)
  • Days Gone (TBA)
  • Detroit: Become Human (TBA)
  • Earth Defense Force 5 (TBA)
  • God of War (TBA)
  • Godling (TBA)
  • Gundam Versus (TBA)
  • Knack 2 (TBA)
  • The Last of Us Part II (TBA)
  • MatterFall (TBA)
  • Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin (TBA)
  • Ready to Run (TBA)
  • Spider-Man (TBA)
  • Trails of Cold Steel III (TBA)
  • Vector (TBA)
  • VizionEck (TBA)
  • WiLD (TBA)
  • The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 (TBA)
  • Without Memory (TBA)

---
†: Exclusive defined here as a game that is on the xbox one and no other platform, including PC

Absolutely insane, Nintendo will offer much better competition with Switch.

KORNdoggy

Totally. The game was going to bomb hard anyway.

This.

Between the horribly disjointed art style, poor stage demonstrations, 15fps framerate and terrible dante wannabe protagonist, i dont know what people saw in this and still don't? Even the pedegree of platinum and their high framerate, function over form mantra wasn't present here. The game would have flopped. MS were smart to bail when they have, but it still ultimately leaves a big gaping hole in their release schedule as we approach their expensive new console uber console release...hopefully they have plenty of stuff up their sleeve.

And people still say "but so does Sony!"

Neff

Wow, I knew Sony was killing it, but it's not even a contest. I feel like there has to be something not right here, haha.

I think it's clear that, as a company, Microsoft's heart just isn't in Xbox, at least from a software perspective.

Also, the games industry feels like it's slowly moving back into a kind of gen 6-feeling era of enthusiast titles and genres, rather than remaining in the AAA advertising-boosted, mainstream impulse/casual era Microsoft helped create. Thing is, Nintendo and Sony sailed through those old eras just fine and will cater as always, but MS will have and is having problems adjusting.

I don't know the story behind Scalebound and probably never will, but to me it felt like the kind of thing they should be diversifying with rather than hastily shutting down.

This sucks. I was hoping the game would be good. Have to suspect that Microsoft probably dumped it.

This.

Between the horribly disjointed art style, poor stage demonstrations, 15fps framerate and terrible dante wannabe protagonist, i dont know what people saw in this and still don't? Even the pedegree of platinum and their high framerate, function over form mantra wasn't present here. The game would have flopped. MS were smart to bail when they have, but it still ultimately leaves a big gaping hole in their release schedule as we approach their expensive new console uber console release...hopefully they have plenty of stuff up their sleeve.

Its easy to understand really.

Kamiya making an action RPG in which you control a giant dragon. Yeah it looked rough at the start but it still had great potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom