• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound, Crackdown and Quantum Break at Gamescom

SRTtoZ

They're being shown like two months later. Would you say the same if they were shown next week? I could understand this if they weren't at either conference.

1) 2 months is 2 months, especially for a conference ONLY segment.
2) Lets see what they actually show at GDC.

Darksol

Phil said that he was having issues cramming all the games I to 90 minutes. This is nothing but good news for fans.

Let's wait until after the smoke clears before pronouncing who lost this year's E3.

Phil says a lot of things.

Still, I'll be watching because I'm interested to see if they can fill it with awesomeness.

Courage

To me it seems like they're using E3 to focus on their Fall lineup since it's being advertised as the 'best lineup in Xbox history'. I'm sure we'll see teasers for a new Gears and Rare game but it'll mostly be Halo, Gears remaster, Forza and Tomb Raider along with third party stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, that's a dumb move by Microsoft.

Dumb how?

It's actually brilliant and if I were them I'd even reveal more games to Gamescom.

Sony has no Gamescom conference this year. What this essentially means is that Europe's largest gaming show will be Microsoft's to own, as they will have a big conference filled with highly anticipated games that everyone will talk about for weeks until the next conference at the Paris Gaming show. At E3, many of these games would be drowned out by the big announcements by rivals. At Gamescom, they get to have the news to themselves, as well as give the strategic appearance that their system is packed with games while Sony isn't even there so they must not have much to show.

spons

Gold Member
Phil said that he was having issues cramming all the games I to 90 minutes. This is nothing but good news for fans.

Let's wait until after the smoke clears before pronouncing who lost this year's E3.
The Phil Spencer Effect? Seriously though, unless they have a large amount of unannounced games we can probably predict the entire presser, as some people have done here.

Sydle

It was rumored that Twisted Pixel and Toylogic were working on AAA games right?

I could definitely see Twisted Pixel's game being announced at E3. Not sure about Toylogic's though.

Pretty much confirmed that Press Play will be there as well.

I thought TP and Toylogic are small studios?

Looking forward to Press Play's new game.

This makes me more excited for their conference. I think we'll see new stuff from Rare, Lionhead and some of their smaller studios for sure. New Gears showing is also a certainty.

I'm getting my popcorn ready for the "Sony has no games" - Gamescom 2015 edition.

microwave_popcorn.gif

RoKKeR

Dumb how?

It's actually brilliant and if I were them I'd even reveal more games to Gamescom.

Sony has no Gamescom conference this year. What this essentially means is that Europe's largest gaming show will be Microsoft's to own, as they will have a big conference filled with highly anticipated games that everyone will talk about for weeks until the next conference at the Paris Gaming show. At E3, many of these games would be drowned out by the big announcements by rivals. At Gamescom, they get to have the news to themselves, as well as give the strategic appearance that their system is packed with games while Sony isn't even there so they must not have much to show.
Bingo.

RyudBoy

Either MS conference is gonna suck major ass or they have some big surprises in store.

Windows 10 will probably be the center of attention and take up a huge chunk of their time, and become the new TV TV TV TV TV TV.

So:

E3:

Gears
Gears
Fable
Forza
Halo
Tomb Raider
Rare

(Where've we seen this before?)

Gamescom:

Quantum Break
Scalebound
Crackdown

If they are being truthful about having the same number of big games focused on at E3 as Gamescom, they need more Gamescom games. To me that doesn't bode well for E3.

Dumb how?

No it's not. It's their big games for the next year. The whole statement comes across as "we are not ready to show off these games. Wait more." Plus E3 is Gamescom times 100 so MS winning would be nothing compared to E3.

Majanew

Banned
Can't wait to see what jam pack conference full of games MS will have! One fucking mention of TV or any non-gaming related bullshit, then Crackdown could have taken that spot.

Seriously, E3 really seems like a waste with shit moving to Gamescom and games being announced before press conferences. Why bother.

Linkified

No it's not. It's their big games for the next year. You start the hype machine for that shit early. Not to mention we don't know what Sony will show anyway. The whole statement comes across as "we are not ready to show off these games. Wait more." Plus E3 is Gamescom times 100 so MS winning would be nothing compared to E3.

Wat. 'Winning'. Wat. Companies don't compete to 'Win' @ E3.

This makes me more excited for their conference. I think we'll see new stuff from Rare, Lionhead and some of their smaller studios for sure. New Gears showing is also a certainty.

I don't like Gears, never cared for anything Lionhead has put out, Rare hasn't made anything decent in some time (fingers crossed though).

Scalebound was one of the biggest games of this E3 to me, and I will likely buy an XBONE the day it comes out, and now it's gone :(

They could always announce some new unexpected games, but we'll see.

I don't understand why everyone is getting so disappointed already, you guys are soft as hell. Gamescon is literally two months away, if anything this just shows that majority highly doubt MS has anything in the oven besides what's been announced already.

Lets just wait and see how the E3 conference goes before we judge. I'm just as excited to see scale bound and crackdown but I wouldn't go far as judging their E3 show before it even happens.

Please don't hate me <3.

I don't like Gears, never cared for anything Lionhead has put out, Rare hasn't made anything decent in some time (fingers crossed though).

Scalebound was one of the biggest games of this E3 to me, and I will likely buy an XBONE the day it comes out, and now it's gone :(

They could always announce some new unexpected games, but we'll see.

Not sure why you're quoting me, I don't care what you like :/

How the hell is Scalebound gone? You'll see it in 2 months.

JaggedSac

Wow. Seems like they have tons of unannounced stuff then. Was really hoping for Crackdown but whatevs, I can wait some more.

Amir0x

Banned
No it's not. It's their big games for the next year. You start the hype machine for that shit early. Not to mention we don't know what Sony will show anyway. The whole statement comes across as "we are not ready to show off these games. Wait more." Plus E3 is Gamescom times 100 so MS winning would be nothing compared to E3.

First, we do know what Sony will show at their Gamescom conference. Nothing. A company who understands good strategy is one that plans for what they do know, not what they don't.

They don't know what Sony has at E3, but it's a fair bet they'll have some big announcements and some of them will surely drown out some of Microsoft's smaller announcements, just like some of Microsoft's big announcements will do the same to some smaller Sony announcements.

Games like Scalebound are big to us, but it's a Platinum Game... their titles never sell a huge amount relative to the 'big AAA' titles, and so it's the perfect game to debut at a show like Gamescom when Microsoft can depend on Sony not being there to drown it out. Similarly, Crackdown is on a AA tier of game judging by sales, which makes it yet another perfect candidate for a show to Microsoft's own. And Quantum Break is a brand new IP from Remedy who has been hit or miss with their games in terms of the attention/sales they've received, and the title has already had a huge coming out party multiple times... and it was also delayed out of 2015. It's yet another perfect candidate for a show to itself.

This is a brilliant strategy. It really, really is. They will have games at E3. Microsoft will have a packed show just like Sony. They will show their new Forza, their Gears of War Collection, and all sorts of surprises. They have big stuff in the pipe. And that will be at E3.

But then they smartly now have a huge summer show to themselves, where they can highlight their second tier of products without any of them being drowned out by overwhelming E3 press coverage of a billion different products.

I do the E3 summaries each year on NeoGAF, and the number of announcements each year is staggering. It's basically impossible to keep up with. Microsoft has in my estimation made a very very clever strategic move.

QuikNez

I understand the negative sentiment, but have some faith.

Although, PC gaming, holo lens and OR support may take up some time, I think MS would have learned from not focusing on games...

I'm choosing to see this as a glass is half-full ... new and more IP potential!

Wow, they must have a lot of surprises in store for E3 since they've already made the hardware announcements and moved some stuff to Gamescom.

Majanew

Banned
We still worried about meaningless conference grades in 2015?

Not me. I'm irritated I don't get to see Crackdown's cloud processing in 4 days because "MS has so many games at E3 already!"
I don't give a shit about Gamescom. Show the cloud power you been talking up, on the big stage, MS.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I do the E3 summaries each year on NeoGAF, and the number of announcements each year is staggering. It's basically impossible to keep up with. Microsoft has in my estimation made a very very clever strategic move.

It's indeed. The only question is which strategy will net the most gains in mindshare. Sony's Paris strategy vs. MS Gamescom. It will be fun to watch from the sidelines no doubt.

solis74

Dumb how?

Agree.

Dumb how?

Spot on.

Ami why is your line of thinking so close to Phil's? Hmmm? Something is fishy here. :p

Top Bottom