• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound (XB1/PC, 2017) Xbox E3 Briefing 2016

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's funny. I hate Platinum games, but the first footage I saw of this looked sort of interesting beyond the shitty protag, though it didn't appeal to Platinum fans. But this new video... yeahhhh no that looks boring as shite. Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma spoiled me on big monster fights. Plus the protag is more insufferable than ever, holy shit. I couldn't even stomach the whole video.
Between this, Drakengard 3, and Lair, I'm becoming disillusioned with the whole flying dragons concept.
Dude, play the Panzer Dragoon games!

I agree it's sad that the concept hasn't improved since then, though. The last Panzer Dragoon game was two generations ago. :(

Neiteio

Looks OK. The sense of scale is amazing, but when he latches onto the arm's weakpoint, there's little weight to his attacks, and the hero himself still feels a bit... bland, and uninspired. Like they looked at "Donte" from DmC and said, "Y'know what, let's make him more like Hayden Christensen."

What's it like being so wrong? How is a nifty Zelda clone close to the sentai fever dream?

image.php

Yeah you must be high :p

Raptor

kamiya games are supose to be fun to play, that looks not fun at all.

Also the main character is like jeez, dont know what to say.

LuuKyK

There is something really wrong about how this game plays. Its just not... fluid. Seems janky and simply not fun to even watch. Terrible.

What's the point of it being made by Platinum then?
Because their talents, biases, and worldviews are what made what looks to be a game I'm extremely excited for! Not only do I hope that the game is super accessible to all players of all skill levels, but they incorporate the accessible design into their future projects.

But of course, that's just speculation that Scalebound looks to be more accessible. But I hope it's true!

More like Donte from DmC
Probably why I love him so much, I LOVED New Dante!!!

The recent Star Fox and TMNT made people realize that Platinum doesn't always push out great games. Now this will cement just how overrated that studio is.

MCD

Dunno why Kamiya/MS insist on showing multi gameplay. Show me the world. Sell me on the singleplayer goodies.

Ansatz

I'm sure the game will play better than that slow boss fight but scalebound definitely lacks the strong sense of style characteristic of a Platinum game. The voice acting in particular is very off putting.

Mutombo

qte fest disguised as a boss fight. i understand for presentation purposes, but a simpler one on one fight with less cut scenes and more gameplay might've been better for the actual gamer audience, instead of the shareholders.

Hatty

So wait why is Star Fox Zero considered a full platinum game? I thought they just helped with assets?

Hmm. Disappointing...Eminem + Hayden Christensen main, the music, the lifeless bow attacks, the choerographed flow to the battle where everything is narrated ("His shell is opening up so now we have to shoot the heart!" "Watch out, destroy the pink things before the blue beam hits you!"), I wasn't feeling this at all. It's too bad, because I'm a big Platinum fan.

This actually looked less like a game and more like one of those Disney/Universal rides where you sit in front of a movie screen and the seats jostle around as you "fly" through Hill Valley or Tatooine or whatever. "Whoooa, watch out, the crab is swinging his leg at us!" *theater seats bounce around as we swoop under the crab*

Kane1345

This was the game that going to change my mind about getting an Xbox. It hasn't done that. It actually looks kinda boring :(

But EatChildren said this game would be cool

Between this, TMNT, and Star Fox Zero, Platinum fell the fuck off

I was thinking in the conference thread, I wonder if this is what happens if you give Platinum a huge budget. Maybe smaller budgets have kept their output less obnoxious and more efficient all this time. I suspect after watching this demo that no less than half of the budget went into making sure the MC never shuts up

I dunno, I think it looks like it might be ok for what it's trying to be, but I'm still not entirely sure what it's trying to be.

This is why Inaba left. Couldnt stand by and watch his company make these flop games.

Wait, WHAT? Inaba left? When was this?

Neff

Kamiya's first bad game?

Kamiya doesn't make bad games, and he's not about to start now. His understanding of what makes a great game has been proven over and over again. This wasn't a great showing gameplay-wise imo (although it was visually very strong), but I still trust him and I'm still on board with Scalebound.

Ombala

Horrible character and voice acting.
And the gameplay looked like a bad MMORPG boss fight.
Not what we want from Platinum.

Fbh

Looked OK but honestly, not what I was expecting when thinking about the new game from the A team at Platinum.

The scale was great, and the fact there is co-op looks cool. But the actual gameplay and boss battle just didn't look like anything special.
Kamiya hyped it up by saying it's the biggest scale battle Platinum has ever made. But damn, Platinum has had us fight gods and giants earth sized robots in an epic duel. Sure, the actual 3D model on screen might the biggest ever (by Platinum), but in regard to gameplay and how the battle plays out I was expectin so much more.

Also, the main character seems incredibly annoying

Hexer06

I think it looked pretty cool. I def wanna see more, and I think they probably could've showed a better video (spamming a bow for half of the boss fight didn't help). I'm still hyped for this game for sure!

MCD

This is a Kamiya game but it's not. People should stop making this another DMC/Bayonetta clone.

This is Kamiya's take on western rpgs like Dragon Age. Slower paced, more RPG elements, basic action, loot etc.

MrBadger

Nier is probably the only Platinum game I'm super hyped for right now.

This one...hmm, I'm not sure. The giant scorpion looks awesome but the gameplay is kinda slow. I can tolerate Donte rocking headphones even though that kind of character is kinda outdated. Kids these days are into meta humour, self awareness and 4th wall breaking.

Top Bottom