• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound (XB1/PC, 2017) Xbox E3 Briefing 2016

jayu26

Boss battles are always terrible. Don't show them in briefings, lol.

I will laugh when God of War shows boss battle and knocks it out of park, or conversely, I will still laugh if they instead show movement to movement gameplay and shit the bed.

Ultimadrago

While I'm not down for all the shameless fanboyism, I do think it's a little early to call this a "bad game".

I'd wait for more of the core mechanics be shown off and the meat of the title in-between boss fights before completely waving it off. That said, this showcase was a really dull display for the E3 stage.

TWILT

Banned
Hmm, yeah, I'm really not feeling this game. It looks surprisingly slow (at least for a Platinum game) and the combat just doesn't feel satisfying at all. I mean, it could just be a bad demo I guess, but there's an odd lack of energy in the game. :/

Riposte

I was expecting pure garbage based off the responses, but it looked decent.

I don't think it was completely terrible, but I hope this was an easier mode or something on a very early boss and the real thing has you dodge projectiles constantly and shit.

This is a Kamiya game but it's not. People should stop making this another DMC/Bayonetta clone.

This is Kamiya's take on western rpgs like Dragon Age. Slower paced, more RPG elements, basic action, loot etc.

I don't think that makes sense. I think the Lost Planet 2 comparison is more accurate.

I wonder if the loot will be more or less fundamental than Transformers.

When Scalebound was first presented, it was the one exclusive that could make me regret not buying a Xbox One. But tonight completely killed my interest for it. Irritating characters, generic animations, generic bullet sponge boss.

Astral Dog

It looks like an RPG to me.
Combat reminded me of Xenoblade a bit, very different.
But yeah, not the demo to get Platinum fanboys excited, at least its something new from the studio.

The fact it was a multiplayer reveal was making me hope we could finally pick someone to play as other than the jerk they decided they'd lump us with as a protag, but then the 3 other players were just variants of him :/

BadWolf

The fact it was a multiplayer reveal was making me hope we could finally pick someone to play as other than the jerk they decided they'd lump us with as a protag, but then the 3 other players were just variants of him :/

This really makes it feel like PG was forced to put in multiplayer.

Surprisingly, Scalebound just doesn't look fun in my opinion. I'm truly shocked about that since Kamiya is involved with the project. And man, that protagonist is just awful.

Yeah, it does feel that way.
You can also kind of see that the game was originally designed with the dragons as the main combatant originally (back when the protag was a young girl instead of dante v3.1) as the stuff the protag does when off the dragon feels kind of underwhelming :eek:

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I liked Star Fox Zero...
TMNT was disappointing though.

If Wonderful 101 is Kamiya going all out with few restraints, Scalebound looks like MS micromanaging everything he does and keeping him on a leash attached to a giant rock.
It reeks of focus testing too, which I hope isn't the case considering how anti-focus group Kamiya is.

Has Platinum just been going downhill since Korra?

Transformers was awesome.

KarmaCow

I'm curious. Is there a narrative conceit for the co-op?

Well the MC does acknowledge that he's not the only one fighting. As for the actual reason, wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff I'm guessing with how they're all the same character and they merged together at the end.

Fergie

Banned
Kamiya doesn't make bad games, and he's not about to start now. His understanding of what makes a great game has been proven over and over again. This wasn't a great showing gameplay-wise imo (although it was visually very strong), but I still trust him and I'm still on board with Scalebound.
He isn't infallible lol.

Granted it wasn't a great demo and there's tons to show plus the game isn't even out.

The animations don't nearly have as much weight as some of his earlier works but being not a combo focused action game I guess I can sort of understand that. (It was especially rocky when he was "attacking the weak point and it felt like some weak lanky punching)

The real thing that gets me is the MC.

Dragons looked cool tho, I wish there was more you could do with them.

Yazzees

I thought it looked pretty good. Probably because I actually didn't miss the memo on it not being a cuhrayzee-genre game like DMC or MGR.

JP

This sounded like it was going to be fantastic when it was first announced as a Platinum game but it really doesn't look to be anything special. Platinum have been doing some strange stuff over the past couple of years and this so far looks like it's not going to be one of theor better games.

I've got a feeling that Nier is going to be the same too although it looks more interesting than this. There's still time for both games though. :(

jelly

I thought when he got on the dragon he was going to fly around and do some cool stuff but it was basically a static platform.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny. I hate Platinum games, but the first footage I saw of this looked sort of interesting beyond the shitty protag, though it didn't appeal to Platinum fans. But this new video... yeahhhh no that looks boring as shite. Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma spoiled me on big monster fights. Plus the protag is more insufferable than ever, holy shit. I couldn't even stomach the whole video.

Same here. I was hoping this would pan out to be an epic, dragon-focused, story-driven RPG. Though I had a lot of reservations from not being a fan of most of Platinum's stuff. I can't stand Monster Hunter type games, so this definitely isn't for me.

I may just end up trading in my X1 (and PS4 later) toward a Neo as I'm starting to question my need to own both as MS exclusives just aren't doing much for me this gen.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I thought it looked pretty good. Probably because I actually didn't miss the memo on it not being a cuhrayzee-genre game like DMC or MGR.

That doesn't excuse sub-par looking combat and bosses I'm totally fine with a slower paced game but this just doesn't look engaging in the slightest to me.

Mechazawa

Asa massive Platinum fan, that demo was fucking bleeeeech.

In fact, every time I've seen this game it's looked insanely underwhelming. Hopefully we just haven't seen the more interesting aspects of the game, but the combat always seems to come across as so bland and simple.

I've got a feeling that Nier is going to be the same too although it looks more interesting than this. There's still time for both games though. :(

Nier doesn't seem like a major departure from their comfort zone, at least not as of right now. I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least as good as Rising.

it at least looked more enjoyable than that horrible FFXV demo, but that's not saying much.

Watching the FFXV demo before this may be why I had a mildly decent response to this.

Neff

He isn't infallible lol.

It's not a word I'd use for him either, and of course he has tremendous talent backing him up, but his directorial batting average is 100% in my book so far.

For six games, that's pretty good.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Nier doesn't seem like a major departure from their comfort zone, at least not as of right now. I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least as good as Rising.

Honestly Nier has had years of development too so I expect it to be better than Rising. Although Nier Automata's combat so far looks like the originals but refined and improved upon so I don't expect it to go all out but it looks like a massive improvement over the original's already.

Shin-Ra

Not again!

Drew.gif

Havik

Seems like they will allow your (customized) character from the SP to the coop mode.

Top Bottom