• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scary parts in games that aren't meant to be scary

Js562

I really, really hope this new Perfect Dark brings back the first game's multiplayer with tons of challenges and bots. Literally gave so much life to what should have been such a simple multiplayer mode.
One of the articles from Xbox said it was just single player. Hopefully the initiative changes that.

VulcanRaven

VmL79Df.png

Last edited:

Soodanim

The only thing I ever found scary in games is points of no return. What if I missed missable loot?

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
I always got scared as a kid when I fell out of bounds in an FPS (due to bugs or whatever). I've overcome that fear after having written a short horror story about a guy who fell out of bounds for a university course. I only visited that course because a girl I had a crush on attended that course as well.
The real horror came after she told me one night that she was still in love with a guy she'd broken up with. So basically ghosted her (still finished the course, tho).

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Arkham Asylum - realising there’s like 900 riddler things.
Why do games do this? I'm playing the first Assassin's Creed game, and there are hundreds of "flags" arbitrarily added throughout the world. I collected the first 20/20 and thought, "that wasn't too bad". Then the next section was like, "you collected 1/100", so I gave up.

At least the Riddler things have some minor reward and in-game explanation, I guess.

Zannegan

Gold Member
The shark in Banjo Kazooie stressed me out as a kid. Accidentally falling into the water and then trying to hop and flap my way back to safety while he chased just beneath the surface is like a core gaming memory for me.

Deerock71

Actually, there are several moments like this in Dave the Diver. I think it's one of the reasons I love the game so much. Proof the imagination is still the best graphics.

nkarafo

I'm not easily afraid of fictionnal things. I saw resident evil 2 and laughed at it when you got eaten by zombies in my early teenage years. And to these days, horror games/movies always bored me more than they scared me. Probably because that's not the kind of emotions I'm looking for in a game.

But despite this, the souless statues you can summon in majora's mask made me uncomfortable, even more after knowing the ben creepypasta. But not anymore. Instead I found something older on the same platform, same series: It's that forest temple theme in OOT. What the hell with these voices humming along with the flute?

Back in the day I was discovering this temple and there was this room with this puzzle where you had to push blocks and climb. At the top were these skeleton floating heads with a blue aura making weird noise the whole time you were solving the puzzle. This along with this music still makes me feel uneasy.
Resident Evil is more gory and less creepy. With some jump scares along the way. It's also very campy, which reduces the horror factor and increases the comedy. The REmake though fixes that.

Majora's Mask and even OOT (in parts) are creepier IMO. I myself prefer the more subtle and creepy stuff than the in your face blood/gore fests.

The first few Silent Hill games are also great, combining the right amounts of creepy with gore.

Dead Space 1/2 is like Resident Evil with a more tense atmosphere due to the setting and lighting. And less camp maybe.

Visage/P.T. are maybe too creepy, to the point where they become actually scary.

I also like the horror vibes in games like Inside. Not much gore or even jump scares but a lot of nicely directed scenes and atmosphere.

There's also Subnautica. It's more tension than horror but man, this game made me more and more anxious the further i was from my closest base.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2. Specifically the Ocean House Hotel section. You are supposed to be this Vampire badass, but it is super creepy and with no cheap jumpscares. There are even mods to skip the section.

I still don't get what's the idea with western games being afraid of creating attractive looking women. I go outside and I see better looking women than whatever western game developers are trying to create. I guess color coded women flocked into game dev and most of them are relatively ugly themselves so...

Last edited:

cireza

Giant Loopers in Skies of Arcadia.

iu

iu

The entirety of the game you fight small ones, and at some point you encounter a couple of them that are several times larger than you entire ship.

Nightmares are made of this stuff.

Last edited:

chlorate

When I was a kid, I found Agile in Mega Man X2 frightening to fight because of his vacant pink eyes and odd facial expression

I think the winner here is the axe murdering clown from Yoshi's Crafted World. One would of course presume this is a game to play with little kids so it really doesn't fit the otherwise soft cuddly setting. Really doesn't belong.

2019041322541100-E0271681F1AC755DDE5456B234024A96.jpg

2019041322512400-E0271681F1AC755DDE5456B234024A96.jpg

At least the Riddler things have some minor reward and in-game explanation, I guess.

I've never played any of the AC games, so can't relate. But some of the Riddler trophies aren't just collect-athons, there's puzzles to solve and all that. I think it's just there for something extra to do.

On PSN, the trophy in Arkham Knight related to the final Riddler trial is 23%. The trophy for completing the Riddler quest is 5.2%. Plat is 0.7%, lol.

Last edited:

SHA

I still don't get what's the idea with western games being afraid of creating attractive looking women. I go outside and I see better looking women than whatever western game developers are trying to create. I guess color coded women flocked into game dev and most of them are relatively ugly themselves so...
Anti waifu movement, it's obvious.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think the winner here is the axe murdering clown from Yoshi's Crafted World. One would of course presume this is a game to play with little kids so it really doesn't fit the otherwise soft cuddly setting. Really doesn't belong.

2019041322541100-E0271681F1AC755DDE5456B234024A96.jpg

2019041322512400-E0271681F1AC755DDE5456B234024A96.jpg
Kids love that kind of stuff. I am at the point where they don’t care about the stuff that’s meant to be cute and carefree.

Top Bottom