• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

sugarless

Maybe we should spin this off into a "How USB-C Works" thread

I think a basic primer is a good idea, as many people think USB-C is just another plug shape change like when the micro sizes were introduced. So they are just looking for the same as they would have done before, i.e. a power supply and the right shape of cable on each side. My understanding is as below, am I basically correct?

• USB-C is the latest USB standard, but it is much more than just a better plug design. Not only does it feature a new, compact, reversible plug design, but it allows for smarter power solutions for modern devices.
  • Connecting compatible devices with a cable that has USB-C on both ends will allow exactly the right power to be delivered to charge the device, reducing the risk of overpowering devices.
  • You can in principle use a USB-A (full size) to USB-C cable but this is not optimal for powerful devices like tablets or the Switch console. So while you can use that kind of cable to charge your Pro Controller or Joy-Con, it may not be enough to keep the Switch powered and charging while you use it. It might "work" but it won't be ideal.
  • Best setup: USB-C to USB-C end to end, with a quality cable that meets the spec, and a power source (either AC adapter or portable power bank) that meets the Switch voltage requirements. Which sources will meet the requirements is mostly speculation until the console launches and people start testing it out.
  • Compatible but less than optimal setup: USB-C to some other form of USB cable, and/or a power source that does not meet the Switch voltage requirements.

tenchir

I think a basic primer is a good idea, as many people think USB-C is just another plug shape change like when the micro sizes were introduced. So they are just looking for the same as they would have done before, i.e. a power supply and the right shape of cable on each side. My understanding is as below, am I basically correct?

• USB-C is the latest USB standard, but it is much more than just a better plug design. Not only does it feature a new, compact, reversible plug design, but it allows for smarter power solutions for modern devices.

USB-C is the latest connector that various USB tech "standards" uses. USB 3.1 Gen I/II and Thunderbolt 3 uses it. USB-PD 2.0 and Quick Charge (Samsung Adaptive Fast Charge, Motorola Turbo Power, etc..) uses it.

What Nintendo Switch uses is USB-PD and USB Gen II. I am fairly sure that any charger that is certified by USB-IF (there's a logo for it) is safe to use with the switch. Any certified 15w will work on the switch and any certified 45w will work on the switch and the dock. Google 22.5w and 18w charger would have probably qualified but they came out before the program was announced. Google 60w and Apple 61/87w charger probably wouldn't qualify because they didn't have 15V on them when they go up to 20V.

I am not sure if there are any certified charger in the market yet because USB-IF had only introduced the certification program in August 2016.

• Connecting compatible devices with a cable that has USB-C on both ends will allow exactly the right power to be delivered to charge the device, reducing the risk of overpowering devices.
  • You can in principle use a USB-A (full size) to USB-C cable but this is not optimal for powerful devices like tablets or the Switch console. So while you can use that kind of cable to charge your Pro Controller or Joy-Con, it may not be enough to keep the Switch powered and charging while you use it. It might "work" but it won't be ideal.
  • Best setup: USB-C to USB-C end to end, with a quality cable that meets the spec, and a power source (either AC adapter or portable power bank) that meets the Switch voltage requirements. Which sources will meet the requirements is mostly speculation until the console launches and people start testing it out.
  • Compatible but less than optimal setup: USB-C to some other form of USB cable, and/or a power source that does not meet the Switch voltage requirements.

I would say that's correct when dealing with USB-C in a Switch-centric context.

The really important thing to know (and where I think a lot of people are getting hung up) is that supported voltage is not the same as required voltage. As in, every USB-C device will support 5V. It has to, that is a USB requirement dating back a long time. Some of them optionally support USB-PD, which means that they can scale above 5V for faster charging. Just because they CAN go above 5V doesn't mean they NEED to. My MacBook can take up to 60W (20V/3A) but if I plug it into a source that can only do 15W (5V/3A, a super common USB-C output because it's the fastest non-PD output) it will still charge, just slower. The same is true of the Switch. It can support 15V, but also 5V so it WILL work. There's also some math in this thread that suggests 5V is fine anyway and 15V is just for powering the dock, not the console

In the future this should all be ironed out, since the USB foundation has set new certification rules that reduce the guesswork. Basically right now it's sort of the Wild West in terms of what chargers support what, even if they're PD-enabled. For example, the 61W and 87W MacBook chargers use USB-PD, but would not be considered compliant because they skip over 15V entirely. The rules for compliance are that it has to support voltage in order: 5V then 9V then 15V then 20V. And that the amps output has to scale as well, meaning you'll never have a situation where you have 9V/1A but 15V/3A. The goal is that you should be able to pick up a power source that advertises any needed wattage up to 100W and the devices will negotiate the power required all on their own, you don't need to worry about it. But that's in the future, not the present.

What does all this mean for the Switch? At the moment, as long as you're buying recommended cables, either USB-A to USB-C or USB-C to USB-C, you're fine. If the charging source, be it a wall adapter or battery pack doesn't advertise USB-PD specifically, it likely caps out at 15W, which is fine. Most USB-C ports that aren't PD are 5V/3A, or 15W. However if you're looking to power the Switch and ALSO other USB-C devices, like the MacBook or power banks or stuff coming up in the future, that's when all the complicated stuff and comparing voltages comes into play. But if you're just doing it for the Switch, relax, buy from a recommended brand even if it's a bit more expensive, and enjoy the games

SystemUser

I do have some knowledge of USB-PD specs, so based on what I have seen so far, here's my educated guess.

15V/2.6A or 39W is what is needed for the dock since it has to power/charge the Switch(+Joycons), power three USB ports, and whatever circuitry for HDMI. The 5V charging is likely only for the Switch console itself, so it's probably charging at 5V/3A or 15W.

Dock:
4.5W - 1x USB 3.0 port (5V/0.9A)
5W - 2x USB 2.0 ports ( 5V/0.5A)
15W - Switch Console (5V/3A). This is what most USB-C phones are charged at.

I can only account for 24.5W. I have no idea how much power the HDMI circuit draws, but I doubt its near the 14W unaccounted for. There's no fan in the dock right?

I don't think the Switch Console charges above 15W because it suppose to take like 3 hours to charge the Switch's 4310 mAH battery and the smaller batteries in the joycon(525mAH each). The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has a 3600mAH battery and it takes slightly under 2 hours to be charge with the adapter fast charger it came with (9V/1.67A or ~15W).

The extra ~14W is going to the CPU and/or GPU to allow for 1080p while docked. Zelda will be draining the battery as fast as it possibly can running in 720p. The processor(s) will be using more wattage to run the games in docked mode. I think the system dock will pass part of the power along instead of the system only being powered by the abttery directly.

Theonik

^iirc there were reports that that Switch will not charge on 5V and definitely not with standard USB power specs.

SystemUser

^iirc there were reports that that Switch will not charge on 5V and definitely not with standard USB power specs.

The official Hori car charger is 5v / 3A. You need amps and volts not just volts. A standard USB port on a PC outputs 5v / 500mA. The amps are too low on a a standard USB port on a PC and the Switch will charge extremely slowly or not at all.

Nintendo says that the Switch takes 3 hours to charge and it has a 16Wh battery. The official adapter packed in wtih the Switch has a 15W mode (5v / 3A) and a 39W mode (15v / 2.6A). If the 15v (39W) mode was used for charging the battery then tell me how it could still take 3 hours to charge? If you look at the math it is clear that the battery has to charge at 5v.

Minsc

Gold Member

If the Switch couldn't be charged on 5V, like nothing would charge it. Everything is 5V, and there are videos of it being charged with 5V battery packs (head back to this thread), while it is in use even, and like SystemUser said, the official chargers are also 5V. There's absolutely no way it wouldn't accept a 5V charge.

Perhaps you mean the Switch wouldn't be able to increase its charge while in use on a 5V charge, from a USB-A port (and what sort of port, QC port, 5V / 1A, 5V / 2A, etc) on a power bank or even from a USB-C port on a power bank. This is possible, but that would mean short of PD-USB Type C chargers, or wall units, nothing could charge up in Switch while in use, and would make it unlike every tablet, smartphone, past handheld, and similar devices in existence. It's possible I suppose, but sounds a little crazy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If the Switch couldn't be charged on 5V, like nothing would charge it. Everything is 5V, and there are videos of it being charged with 5V battery packs (head back to this thread), while it is in use even, and like SystemUser said, the official chargers are also 5V. There's absolutely no way it wouldn't accept a 5V charge.

Perhaps you mean the Switch wouldn't be able to increase its charge while in use on a 5V charge, from a USB-A port (and what sort of port, QC port, 5V / 1A, 5V / 2A, etc) on a power bank or even from a USB-C port on a power bank. This is possible, but that would mean short of PD-USB Type C chargers, or wall units, nothing could charge up in Switch while in use, and would make it unlike every tablet, smartphone, past handheld, and similar devices in existence. It's possible I suppose, but sounds a little crazy.

I do recall seeing reports of people saying that plugging it into a 5V USB port did not charge or even maintain the battery of the Switch while in use. All it did was slow down the rate of battery drain. As well the back of the Switch itself only shows the 15V/2.6A, nothing about 5V like the actual charger shows.

Does the Joycons attached affect the ability for a 5v/3a charger to charge effectively?

Did your Ravpower work with the USB C to USB C cable you purchased? Were you able to test it against a USB C device?

As I purchased the same ravpower and cable but currently have no device to test. I do however have an adapter that turns USB type C into micro USB, and it is not outputting power that way

Thank you

No, I don't have anything to test it with. The cable should be fine though; it's just a cable. The only question is whether the battery itself will be good for the Switch. I'm hoping it will be, but if not I may return it for one that does.

Such a USB-C to micro USB adapter violates USB-C specs so if it's not working I wouldn't say it really means anything. USB-C isn't allowed to be converted to the older connectors.

Minsc

Gold Member
I do recall seeing reports of people saying that plugging it into a 5V USB port did not charge or even maintain the battery of the Switch while in use. All it did was slow down the rate of battery drain. As well the back of the Switch itself only shows the 15V/2.6A, nothing about 5V like the actual charger shows.

Well there are lots of different types of 5V USB ports, USB-A, USB-C, Quick Charge, iSmart, 1A, 2A, 2.xA, 3.xA, etc. So unless they are listing the exact one, it's hard to say. The Ars preview tested it with a USB-A Qualcomm Quick Charge power bank I believe, and it charged very poorly with it, but it still charged. But that's not too surprising since the device does not support that Quick Charge standard. I haven't seen any reports of actual USB-C ports being used to charge it yet, but if those are not working, I don't see why the official car charger would be able to increase the charge in use either.

tenchir

It is most likely because it wasn't charging at 3A. It would make sense that using type a to c cable would limit you to 5V/1.5A when charging from a battery bank or wall charger with type A ports. You aren't getting 2A or 2.4A,but 1.5A. So you charging at 7.5W and not the full 15w.

Wall chargers or power bank that advertises 5V/2.4A are for Apple devices. Chargers that advertises 5V/2A to 9V/2A are usually Samsung devices. Any charger that goes above 3A are Quick Charge based.

All of the above type of charger I listed aren't compatible with USB-PD spec wise. They all negotiate power differently too.

USB-PD uses Vconn pins to negotiate power.

QC uses D+ and D- pins for signaling to negotiate power and you don't get data as a result.

Apple uses resistors in their cable to advertise what current they can do, it doesn't do any power negotiation. It just tells you the cable can do 2.4A.

Minsc

Gold Member
It is most likely because it wasn't charging at 3A. It would make sense that using type a to c cable would limit you to 5V/1.5A when charging from a battery bank or wall charger with type A ports. You aren't getting 2A or 2.4A,but 1.5A. So you charging at 7.5W and not the full 15w.

Actually it'd probably be even lower, .5A (the default charging standard), going by what Thraktor said:

The other possibility (which more closely matches the change in charging rate), is that it's another case of USB-PD vs Qualcomm QC incompatibility. The Jackery Titan S is advertised as a Qualcomm QC 2 charger, and it may not be implementing USB-PD properly, in which case the power supplied would default to 0.5A (USB's default charging standard) if Switch is unable to negotiate a higher current with it via the USB-PD protocol. This would result in Switch getting only 2.5W, which is about what we'd expect given the charging rate given.

jorgejjvr

No, I don't have anything to test it with. The cable should be fine though; it's just a cable. The only question is whether the battery itself will be good for the Switch. I'm hoping it will be, but if not I may return it for one that does.

Such a USB-C to micro USB adapter violates USB-C specs so if it's not working I wouldn't say it really means anything. USB-C isn't allowed to be converted to the older connectors.
Thank you!

That helps and explains a lot. Thank you!

Hopefully it works just fine with the switch. If it powers it up while on handheld that would be ideal, if not I might have to return too.

vgamer1

Looking for a good, cheap 64/128 Micro SD on amazon preferably, or really wherever's cheapest.

Primarily going to be purchasing Physical, but want to be able to load up on digital indies as well after that amazing direct.

Any ideas?

tenchir

Looking for a good, cheap 64/128 Micro SD on amazon preferably, or really wherever's cheapest.

Primarily going to be purchasing Physical, but want to be able to load up on digital indies as well after that amazing direct.

Any ideas?

Samsung Evo and SanDisk Ultra MicroSD are good enough at 80 MB/s read.

tenchir

I can get this one price matched from BHPHOTOVIDEO
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...memory-card-red-white/4568502.p?skuId=4568502
do you recommend that one? I assume its as simple as popping it into the Switch and the Switch automatically formats it?

I don't see any problem with this one. I'm don't know what is the maximum speed the switch can read even though Nintendo said it supports UHS-1 (104 MB/s). It could read at the maximum this card can reach (90 MB/s) or if could be lower, then there's no reason to spend extra on the EVO+ just for 10 MB/s more read speed.

I don't see any problem with this one. I'm don't know what is the maximum speed the switch can read even though Nintendo said it supports UHS-1 (104 MB/s). It could read at the maximum this card can reach (90 MB/s) or if could be lower, then there's no reason to spend extra on the EVO+ just for 10 MB/s more read speed.

And 40 dollars is a reasonable price for a sd card 128gb? I figured that amount is good enough for me I dont download digital games only when there is no other choice..I always buy physical disks..but for games like snipperclips there is no way around it but digital

tenchir

And 40 dollars is a reasonable price for a sd card 128gb? I figured that amount is good enough for me I dont download digital games only when there is no other choice..I always buy physical disks..but for games like snipperclips there is no way around it but digital

If you only going to buy digital if there's no physical version, then wait. You have 28GB on the Switch. Prices on these cards will continue to fall and you can probably get bigger faster card for the same price by the time you fill up the 28GB with digital only games.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What does all this mean for the Switch? At the moment, as long as you're buying recommended cables, either USB-A to USB-C or USB-C to USB-C, you're fine. If the charging source, be it a wall adapter or battery pack doesn't advertise USB-PD specifically, it likely caps out at 15W, which is fine. Most USB-C ports that aren't PD are 5V/3A, or 15W. However if you're looking to power the Switch and ALSO other USB-C devices, like the MacBook or power banks or stuff coming up in the future, that's when all the complicated stuff and comparing voltages comes into play. But if you're just doing it for the Switch, relax, buy from a recommended brand even if it's a bit more expensive, and enjoy the games

great, thanks - i copped 2 - iOrange 6.6ft USB C to A cables from the OP. just going to use them with my small & big apple iphone chargers and hope they charge my Switch while i play or sleep.

If you only going to buy digital if there's no physical version, then wait. You have 28GB on the Switch. Prices on these cards will continue to fall and you can probably get bigger faster card for the same price by the time you fill up the 28GB with digital only games.

thats true but I Figure all of these other digital games coming out on the Eshop would be nice to put them on the card..is 40 bucks usually the standard price for a 128gb card?

enbred

Banned
I just learned from this video that the Pro Controller and the Charging Grip both come with a USB-A to USB-C cables, I'm guessing those can be used to charge the Switch itself, so if you're getting either of those you don't necessarily need to buy a cable.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4TD2vI0s-10

I'm waiting for some microsd comparison videos.

29GB will pretty easily hold Snipperclips and Blaster Master for the duration of March.

Jigolo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018DUUM9C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone have experience with this cable? I bought it last year and haven't used it since I own a grand total of 0 USB C products and bought it on a whim when it was cheap. I've monitored Benson's spreadsheet since he started it and doesn't look like he's updating any longer and doubt he'll ever take a look at this cable.

Don't want to wreck the charging port on my future Switch.

tenchir

Wait, can my usb-c 5amp external battery charge while I play or not?

I'm so confused.

Is it 5 Amp or 4.8 Amp? Battery banks tend to add up Amps for each port together and use the total for marketing. 4.8 Amp just means each port can output 2.4A simultaneously. I have a USB-C power meter and some chargers around. I happen to have 3 different charger to test with.

Samsung Adaptive Fast charger 15W (5V/3A, 9V/1.67A)
Google 18W (5V/3A, 9V/2A) charger
Apple 12W (5V/2.4A) charger

I can will get my switch on Friday to test them with.

enbred

Banned
Is it 5 Amp or 4.8 Amp? Battery banks tend to add up Amps for each port together and use the total for marketing. 4.8 Amp just means each port can output 2.4A simultaneously. I have a USB-C power meter and some chargers around. I happen to have 3 different charger to test with.

Samsung Adaptive Fast charger 15W (5V/3A, 9V/1.67A)
Google 18W (5V/3A, 9V/2A) charger
Apple 12W (5V/2.4A) charger

I can will get my switch on Friday to test them with.

Aren't you worried one of these could damage the Switch battery when you test it? I'm pretty sure I read that the Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger kills PS4 controllers. And I've always been paranoid about accidentally using it to charge my 3DS (I use my other non-fast charging 5V/2A Samsung charger with the 3DS).

I have an official Switch charger preordered, but if the Samsung Fast Charger works well with the Switch then I could save myself some money and use that.

Would be useful to make a master post of recommended accessories or something, Im so ready for Friday either way. I got basically everything that i need, minus a power bank

tenchir

Aren't you worried one of these could damage the Switch battery when you test it? I'm pretty sure I read that the Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger kills PS4 controllers. And I've always been paranoid about accidentally using it to charge my 3DS (I use my other non-fast charging 5V/2A Samsung charger with the 3DS).

I have an official Switch charger preordered, but if the Samsung Fast Charger works well with the Switch then I could save myself some money and use that.

If Nintendo design a good OverCurrent Protection implementation, then it should be relatively safe. I am guessing that OCP is set to something like 3.4A, so if the switch somehow draws too much current and hit the threshold, then OCP will cut the power immediately and won't attempt to charge until the cable is unplugged from its usb port..

enbred

Banned
If Nintendo implement OverCurrent Protection correctly, then it should be relatively safe. I am guessing that OCP is set to something like 3.4A, so if the switch somehow draws too much current and hit the threshold, then OCP will cut the power immediately and won't charge until you unplug the cable.

Exactly, "If". You'd have to be pretty brave to be the first one to test and report on that. I'm not chancing it unless I'm 100% assured it's fine.

tenchir

Exactly, "If". You'd have to be pretty brave to be the first one to test and report on that. I'm not chancing it unless I'm 100% assured it's fine.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...mpressions-out-of-the-box-and-into-our-hands/

Ars already tried to charge the switch with their Jackery Titan power bank. I look at the power bank on amazon and the specs on their webpage and it seems to be a Apple 2.4A + Quick Charge 2.0. So I am fairly sure the Switch won't be damage. I am not testing for compatibility, I am testing at how or how much current the Switch will accept from the charger.

ggx2ac

I just bought the "Samsung 128GB 80MB/s EVO Select Micro SDXC" listed in the OP.

Should be enough for 2-3 years for eShop only games until I can get a higher capacity card for the same cost.

sugarless

I just got a 16GB card so I can use my 3DS 32GB card on my Switch. Then I saw the Nindies announcement and am starting to worry I'll fill up quite quickly!

Minsc

Gold Member
Wait, can my usb-c 5amp external battery charge while I play or not?

I'm so confused.

I'm 99% sure you mean 5V / 3A, not 5A. I don't think any USB-C power banks output 5A at any voltage.

Either way, the answer is "Yes" you can charge it while playing, but whether that charge increases the battery level while in use or just slows the drain, we don't know. The only thing I've seen is that a Jackery Titan USB-A power bank with Qualcomm QC 2.0 cannot increase the charge of the Switch while in use.

While all power banks carry no risk to using, wall chargers are another thing. I just recently fried a cheap stereo by testing out a plug from a different stereo on it because I was too lazy to find the right plug and it fit. Well now it's garbage, but hey, that's what warranties are for. If you're going to test it, do it in the first month, when you can return it with no worries for another Switch.

I'm curious as to why people are concerned about 128GB being enough storage space. Zelda BotW is 13.4GB and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is 7GB. Also Snipperclips and Puyo Puyo Tetris are well under 2GB. If Switch games were similar sizes compared to PS4 or Xbox One games, I would be concerned. But a 128GB card in addition to the 32GB on board should last folks a couple of years, even if you ONLY buy digital.

Theonik

I'm curious as to why people are concerned about 128GB being enough storage space. Zelda BotW is 13.4GB and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is 7GB. Also Snipperclips and Puyo Puyo Tetris are well under 2GB. If Switch games were similar sizes compared to PS4 or Xbox One games, I would be concerned. But a 128GB card in addition to the 32GB on board should last folks a couple of years, even if you ONLY buy digital.
We don't know how big switch games will be in the long run.

Mechazawa

Compared to the sd card, that's already 1/6 of the space just from two games. Then you factor out games like Dragon Quest which is already 32 gigs or Xenoblade which will probably be in a similar ballpark?

The only way that looks tenable to me for anyone that buys a lot of Switch games is to split the diference between physical and digital or hope Nintendo stops being stupid and finally just allows external drives.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a USB charger with 2.4A ports for iPads, and a battery pack with the same. Considering how much is unknown right now, is the safest option just to get a USB A-C cable and see if my current kit at least charges it slowly? And then once more people have switches and can try out different chargers, I'll have a better picture about whether to update my AC charger and battery pack for better results

greelay

Larger third party games might be huge, though. I am anticipating skyrim and nba to be large, not as large as the xbox one or ps4 versions, but still large. I do not remember what else is coming out for this, but I am sure there is probably a few others.

Did anyone get the Anker power bank in the OP and is intending to use it on Friday to at the very least test out? I'm tempted but only want to take the plunge when I 100% know there won't be any issues

Zedark

About the power bank issue: Digital Foundry have said the following about charging the Switch using one:

Digital Foundry said:
On the positive side, plugging a powerbank into the Switch causes the console to recharge faster than it depletes its own battery even in a stress test scenario with brightness and volume maxed. It's a good start, and means the console power gauge holds at 100 per cent for as long as the powerbank lasts. However, it takes only four hours and 13 minutes to wear through the external battery, before Switch defers to its own solution. In total that combines to six hours and 50 minutes, a decent overall time, but for the extra weight and wiring involved we'd hoped for much more. Of course, results may vary based on brand and quality, and so the search is now on to find a power bank that will indeed deliver battery life from the Switch in line with the rated capacity.

And provided the following data:

100% Brightness, 100% Volume - Two Hours, Thirty Seven Minutes
100% Brightness, 100% Volume (Powerbank Connected) - Six Hours, Fifty Minutes

They say that the system defers to its own battery capacity after the power bank has been depleted according to DF, so that would mean, if I read this correctly, that the Switch is capable of charging with a 5V/2.1A (that is the spec of the power bank they used) and filling up/keeping completely steady the system, not just decreasing the energy depletion rate.

TL;DR: Unless I am wrong somewhere, a 5V/2.1A should charge the Switch while playing Zelda at max settings, which would be contrary to speculation from earlier in this thread.

RockmanBN

Going by Digital Foundry, it seems like the power bank purchase is worth it. Will be good to boost my play time in handhes to 12ish hours.

Top Bottom