• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

daydream

Banned
Unless you're meant to get shot down every 30 seconds or so, I'm really bad at After Burner. Any tips for that game?

Looks spectacular btw. These ports just feel so right.

In for Afterburner, Outrun and Thunder Blade. On the fence with the Phantasy Zone games

in for everything
based M2.

now bring me VF1 in 3D

tumblr_nf9iunwkWK1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Model 1 games on my New 3DS needs to happen at some point.
PLEASE

Tain

I havent been paying attention to the US dates for these so I'm very pleasantly surprised to learn that I'll be getting Afterburner today!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you're meant to get shot down every 30 seconds or so, I'm really bad at After Burner. Any tips for that game?

Same here. The game is gorgeous, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Holy fuck this looks amazing. Super fast and, unlike Galaxy Force II where I can't simply get shot down and punished immediately, just one missile's enough to have me rethinking how to run a stage. I was confused about where to find the melody tracks in the sound test for some reason...whatever, I have another great reason to use the Circle Pad Pro now.

There's a sequence of three fighters, appearing far off in the distance, that come after the initial vulcan-vulnerable wave in Stage 1. If you can't learn how to not barrel roll every time a missile flies at you, death awaits! That's what the game tells me every time I try to correct my vector once it flies at me, only for my plane to barrel-roll instead and move nowhere but down into the jungle. I have a feeling this game isn't as well-designed or interesting as Galaxy Force II on principle, but this doesn't seem out-of-the-blue, just impractical given how people were expected to play back in the day.

PLEASE SEGA!!!! port over....

Power Drift
Turbo Outrun
Outrunners
Rad Mobile
A.B. Cop
G-LOC
Super Monaco GP
Power Drift, Turbo OutRun, Super Monaco GP,, and A.B. Cop are possible given M2's past experiences. OutRunners and Rad Mobile would be technically outrageous (they'd have to research the System 32 architecture first, which could take longer than a year, worse than with the Y Board!). And few care much about G-LOC, just that you could play it in an R360.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

My thoughts as well. I'm doing a lot worse in this than Climax, but I think it was easier to tell all the missiles & such coming out from the distance due to graphics capabilities. Though doing barrel rolls kind of helps at times.

Still, the options available of what you can change is great and looks good as well.

This almost makes me want to go back & read Hardcore Gaming 101's Sega Arcade Classics Vol. 1 book on all the After Burner games.

Also, I now know where the All-Star tune for AGES in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed comes from now.

The Game.Set.Watch interview has a section where Okunari recommends dropping to 2 planes' worth of difficulty in Settings if you're having trouble, as that increases the lock-on field such that a greater number of players can lock-on and have that stick. You actually have a small window of time in which you need to fire before the lock-on dissipates, which makes stringing locks and firing at 'em all difficult in one go.

I strongly recommend you do not read Kurt Kulata's reviews on SEGA Super Scalar games. He can't play these games worth a damn 1CC-style and so proclaims that SEGA's games were only meant to chomp quarters down, regardless of how Japanese commuters actually played the games (which is the market SEGA designed for). I'm not going to defend AFII if the game's poorly-designed, which is possible given just how many people said that before HG101's article went up, but Sotenga's voice on SEGA is far more important on that site.

At least we get that funny credits sequence from the get-go.

Aerocrane

Reduce the difficulty level for more lenient targeting for getting lock-ons. While flying faster increases your score, reducing your speed makes evasive maneuvers easier.

Playing at full acceleration works in Galaxy Force II, but slowing down and speeding up actually helps in this game so far. So that's one thing I prefer about it!

Voliko

Quick note on the release months: Despite the Nintendo Direct saying March was the last month, it's not. On Nintendo's site, it says:

Fantasy Zone: Feb.
Outrun: March
Fantasy Zone II: April
Thunder Blade: May

Also Sega confirmed in Nov. we'd be getting them monthly. Granted, I sure wouldn't mind Outrun next month instead of March, but sadly, we still gotta wait for April & May for the last two games.

Got After Burner II since I enjoyed Climax and looking forward to getting both Fantasy Zone games & Outrun.
Nooooo, I guess the longer wait is back on. At least there is After Burner II to play in the meantime

Holy crap, Sega's doing a contest for those awesome controller hoodies. You have 2 weeks to enter and you need to submit a picture or two of certain conditions while playing 3D After Burner II.
This is amazing. Almost wish I could mail it in!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
On the bright side, U.S. college students like me will have more time for playing 3D OutRun during Spring Break. Hurrah!
& then watch as it's out the week AFTER Spring Break....though now you make me hope this happens so I can play it before going back to college.

Turned the difficulty down & while I'm still dying quite a bit, I feel as though it's a bit more my fault now and lasting longer than before. Not by much, but I'm not as frustrated now compared to before.

Okunari makes it sounds like playing arcade settings in 3D makes for a more difficult experience just because the lock-on field is too far in the distance, which may be the first instance where 3D forces players to change settings in order to more accurately play the game. Which is really weird, but understandable on a technical level.

Also, when are we able to rate newly-released eShop games? Nothing's listed on the store page and the menu won't let me rate this yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I want to say you need an hour's worth of game time before you can rate a game.

Unlocked Special & took me a while to remember pressing A = Burst or Climax. Having much more fun in this mode.

AmyS

For a potential 3rd series of SEGA 3D Classics I'd love to see:

Super Monaco GP (X-Board, same as After Burner II and Thunder Blade)
Power Drift (Y-Board, same as Galaxy Force II)
Shadow Dancer arcade (System 18, a slight upgrade from System 16). The arcade version of Shadow Dancer was brought to the Amiga and Master System but even the Amiga version was nowhere near perfect. The Mega Drive/Genesis Shadow Dancer was a different game altogether.
And any two other System 16 games. Maybe the arcade version of Altered Beast (which had no layers of parallax unlike the MD/Genesis console version but maybe M2 could add some). The point being the arcade Altered Beast had significantly better graphics. BTW the Wii Virtual Console Arcade already has the arcade version in addition to the MD/Gen version on the normal VC.
And original arcade Golden Axe, which is also on Wii VC Arcade.
These are highly realistic as far as 3DS's ability to emulate. Nothing beyond what they've done before (Y-Board was the most difficult).

Anything from the System 32 hardware (Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder, Outrunners) or Model 1 (Virtua Racing / Fighter) might be too complex for M2 to emulate on 3DS. Or not. I don't actually know.

Also, just purchased ABII from the eShop.

SUBSCRIBED.

Afterburner II get! Game looks and plays amazing of course. Also the alternate cabinet/HUD overlays M2 added are ace. This is a simulated arcade experience at its finest. M2's porting and emulation skills are as impeccable as always.

Also, I highly recommend Galaxy Force 3D (3D effects on that just POP) and Space Harrier 3D. I'm also mulling over Streets of Rage and Shinobi. Not sure about Sonic and Altered Beast.

How is Fantasy Zone? Should i get I, II or both?

I've never played a Fantasy Zone game but they look like they'd be real trippy in 3D. I might be in for one of those, and Outrun.

The Fantasy Zone games are some of the best comical arcade shooters ever made. You have complete control over your ship and can roam freely back and forth through the levels to take out enemies and bases in the manner and order of your choosing (kind of like Defender and Resogun), a nicely varied power up Shop purchase system where you buy weapons earned with gold dropped by enemies you shoot not to mention some of the wildest bosses you'll ever see. They are brightly day-glow colored, surreal, trippy, spaced out games that MUST be played and true gems of Sega's Golden Age. GET THEM.

Edit: Even if you don't end up getting the 3D versions at least try to experience them another way. If you have a Wii or a Wii U, I highly recommend downloading Super Fantasy Zone for the Genesis Virtual Console which was originally import only and exclusive only to the Mega Drive. Fantasy Zone 2 for Sega Master System Virtual Console is also great. FZ 1 for Master System is good for what it is but it's too scaled down from the arcade game to be a proper showcase for the series. FZ 2 is the better pick for Master System as the graphics are better and it was a SMS exclusive. These games are still available to download in the old Wii Shop on both Wii and on Wii U by accessing the Wii Shop through Wii Mode. FZ 2 3D which will be released in about a few months is based on Fantasy Zone DX which was a remake of FZ 2 for SMS that M2 made for the Sega Ages Fantasy Zone pack on PS2.

If it's not too much trouble, maybe we can take this as a chance to showcase the Wave 1 games too for people who missed them. M2 needs more love. :)

Yes, I'll second this. If the OP is willing it'd be great if the thread could be changed to be the all encompassing OT for Sega 3D Classics in general.

Waiting for the n3DS before fully diving into this but I couldn't resist a little taste earlier and it looks beautiful.

I feel so lucky that M2 are doing such an incredible service to games that mean so much to me.

HyperHip

Don't know if I wanna buy this for my imported New 3DS or OG XL, how is the 3D in this game? Also how easy is the game to play if I don't know a lick of Japanese?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For a potential 3rd series of SEGA 3D Classics I'd love to see:

Super Monaco GP (X-Board, same as After Burner II and Thunder Blade)
Power Drift (Y-Board, same as Galaxy Force II)
Shadow Dancer arcade (System 18, a slight upgrade from System 16). The arcade version of Shadow Dancer was brought to the Amiga and Master System but even the Amiga version was nowhere near perfect. The Mega Drive/Genesis Shadow Dancer was a different game altogether.
And any two other System 16 games. Maybe the arcade version of Altered Beast (which had no layers of parallax unlike the MD/Genesis console version but maybe M2 could add some). The point being the arcade Altered Beast had significantly better graphics. BTW the Wii Virtual Console Arcade already has the arcade version in addition to the MD/Gen version on the normal VC.
And original arcade Golden Axe, which is also on Wii VC Arcade.
These are highly realistic as far as 3DS's ability to emulate. Nothing beyond what they've done before (Y-Board was the most difficult).

Anything from the System 32 hardware (Golden Axe The Revenge of Death Adder, Outrunners) or Model 1 (Virtua Racing / Fighter) might be too complex for M2 to emulate on 3DS. Or not. I don't actually know.

Also, just purchased ABII from the eShop.

Man, Shadow Dancer... I really love that game, and I wish it'd get some kind of actual decent port.

Would also definitely not mind Revenge of Shinobi...

Dammit, M2 has to continue this thing.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Why couldn't Outrun be this month?! I need that in my veins.

But I hope this continues being supported, I want them to get some third and second party games from the 16 bit era and get this treatment. 2D games really shine in 3D.

Khaz

Of the four currently available 3D / Z-axis Arcade games available, I do feel Afterburner 2 is the weakest. Super Hang On and Space Harrier are better in term of gameplay and sheer fun, and Galaxy Force 2 is the most beautiful while still very playable (even though it's a tough game).

I can't wait for Out Run, which will probably become my favourite game, and I've never played Thunder Blade so I'm quite curious to try it.

Dammit, M2 has to continue this thing.

I'm torn. They're doing great work but it also mean they stopped working on Game Gear Virtual Console. They should get more money to get more staff!

Syril

Looking forward to the Fantasy Zone games, since I never played them before somehow.

Maybe sometime in the future M2 will do a properly completed/enhanced version of Space Fantasy Zone, the unreleased Fantasy Zone/Space Harrier mashup on the PC-Engine. It even has an awesome mashup of both games' theme music.

I'm in for every single one of these. I bought every wave 1 game except 3D Ecco the Dolphin. As much as I've always appreciate Ecco's premise and general artistry, I've never been able to enjoy the game very much or even get past the very beginning. It's just too obtuse and directionless.

I also regret buying 3D Altered Beast, but it was during a moment of weakness. Every single other SEGA 3D Classic is just amazing, though.

I've already put a little time into 3D After Burner II, and it's just as great as I expected it to be (though impossibly tough on the default difficulty, also as expected). Can't wait fot 3D OutRun.

Picked it up tonight. So glad they are translating the interviews again as well. I wish this would warrant another set of games, but I guess that's it isn't it? :(

AmyS

HCHQyx8.png

Uploaded on Sep 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV9Njzr1rr0

Note for Nintendo fans who might not know a great deal about Sega's games (I certainly do not know nearly everything myself lol) After Burner 3 on Sega CD (Mega CD outside the U.S.) is just a bad port of the Japanese FM-Towns computer version, which is itself, not actually based on After Burner, but another arcade game from Sega's Y-Board called "Strike Fighter", which is itself a revision of G-LOC Air Battle.

Note 2: "Strike Fighter" (1991) and "Sega Strike Figher" (2000) are two totally different games.

The FM-Towns port of After Burner II is pretty decent for the hardware.

The Sharp X68000 After Burner II is an okay port but not outstanding (like Thunder Blade was). Obviously a long ways off from arcade perfect. It was programmed by Dempa in 1989 who used this as the basis for the Genesis / MD version in 1990, with very slight downgrades.

Grabbed After Burner earlier. Took me a bit to grasp the game, slowly starting to get the hang of the default difficulty (furthest I've made it was stage 9...)

Caved and grabbed Space Harrier as well. So good! I think I like Space Harrier a bit more (because I can actually play it) but every 3D classic I've bought has been awesome. Favorite part about my 3DS.

Unfortunate that we have to wait 2 months for Outrun but I understand the need to separate the Fantasy Zones. I'll be picking up Outrun and Fantasy Zone 2 for sure

If there's a wave 3, I really hope Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 are part of it. It seems like a crime for M2 to do all these amazing port jobs but have those classics miss out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If there's a wave 3, I really hope Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 are part of it. It seems like a crime for M2 to do all these amazing port jobs but have those classics miss out.

Especially since they already put together Giga Drive... I know M2's thorough with their re-releases, but it seems like a waste for them to only put out a few Genesis games with that thing put together.

I mean, SOR 1, but not SOR 2? That's just pure injustice.

Tizoc

As is I don't own the following from Wave 1
Streets of Rage
Ecco the Dolphin
Altered BEast

AB is the weakest of the remasters right?

How's Streets of Rage 1? I prefer to play beat'em-ups co-op but if I can support by getting at least a game I can still enjoy solo I'll get it.

Especially since they already put together Giga Drive... I know M2's thorough with their re-releases, but it seems like a waste for them to only put out a few Genesis games with that thing put together.

I mean, SOR 1, but not SOR 2? That's just pure injustice.

Exactly. SoR 1 is good, but SoR 2 is probably my favorite beat 'em up of all time!

As is I don't own the following from Wave 1
Streets of Rage
Ecco the Dolphin
Altered BEast

AB is the weakest of the remasters right?

How's Streets of Rage 1? I prefer to play beat'em-ups co-op but if I can support by getting at least a game I can still enjoy solo I'll get it.

Yeah, skip Altered Beast and go with Streets of Rage 1. The 3D effects look great; it's almost like playing a new game, and I had a perfectly good time with it playing solo (even though co-op is preferable).

@MUWANdo

Banned
Picked it up tonight. So glad they are translating the interviews again as well. I wish this would warrant another set of games, but I guess that's it isn't it? :(

The continuation of the series is dependent on the retail compilation selling well in Japan, and the second wave of digital games selling well overseas.

AmyS

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this or another thread already but it seems pretty obvious to me that wave 2 is being released in the western world one game per month so that each game has a better chance of selling more.

However of course if there is eventually a third wave it would begin in Japan. I somehow doubt it'll happen though.

Great fun, special mode especially, but damn, this game has a serious ritual of killing me with god knows what, right as the stage ends! I've watched vids on YouTube of people acing the game but i can't even fathom how. The enemy waves are always the same patterns but i don't know how to deal with them nor can I actually remember them!

I like type2 controls for the standard levels, but can't pilot it through the trench levels to save my life in that mode lol

Rich!

Should I wait for the EU eshop releases or just import the 3D archives physical release? Its £23 on play asia. Would I miss out on any games?

My 3DS is region free

Should I wait for the EU eshop releases or just import the 3D archives physical release? Its £23 on play asia. Would I miss out on any games?

My 3DS is region free

Only includes six of the thirteen releases and one of those six is Ecco, which alongside Altered Beast and (likely) Thunderblade are the least remarkable games in the whole collection.
It doesn't even contain Sonic but it does have an awesome cover though sooooo.....

Khaz

My 3DS is region free

Why not both? the cartridge has exclusive Master System games, and the some of the eShop games aren't on cartridges.

Top Bottom