• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

what do you guys think are the odds of Sega ever releasing a physical version / compilation in NA? I'm tempted to pick up Galaxy Force 2, but I'm holding back in the hopes they just release the whole damn thing over here at retail.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
what do you guys think are the odds of Sega ever releasing a physical version / compilation in NA? I'm tempted to pick up Galaxy Force 2, but I'm holding back in the hopes they just release the whole damn thing over here at retail.
I dont remember the physical release having GFII, though I could be mistaken. If we ever get a cart, it'll be that one - better to just download GFII than waste all this time not playing it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The one Japan got was a really weird mix of Wave 1 & 2. 3D Space Harrier, 3D Fantasy Zone, 3D Outrun, 3D Streets of Rage, 3D Shinobi 2, and 3D Ecco the Dolphin. It's hard to say if they'd ever do one containing every single game. Personally, I'd be all for the idea, but in order to make it profitable since each game is $6 each, we'd probably only get about 6 games each.

oneida

The one Japan got was a really weird mix of Wave 1 & 2. 3D Space Harrier, 3D Fantasy Zone, 3D Outrun, 3D Streets of Rage, 3D Shinobi 2, and 3D Ecco the Dolphin. It's hard to say if they'd ever do one containing every single game. Personally, I'd be all for the idea, but in order to make it profitable since each game is $6 each, we'd probably only get about 6 games each.
no sonic? how odd.

Khaz

The Master system versions of 3D Out Run and 3D Space Harrier are on this cartridge too. I'd buy a physical cart just to get these two. But of course I'd rather have them digitally. Along with Blade Eagle 3D, Line of Fire, Maze Hunter 3D, Missile Defense 3D, Poseidon Wars 3D, and Zaxxon 3D.
http://segaretro.org/3-D_Glasses

Storm360

So, all of these games are already out in Japan? Sweet, I picked up After Burner II and was really happy with the port, I'll check out the rest

Out of all of them, I've only had experience with
After Burner
Ecco (Which I hated)
Outrun
Super Hang-On
Sonic
Streets of Rage

What should I look into next?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
3D Fantasy Zone confirmed for EU on Feb. 12th. Considering 3D After Burner released in EU & US the same day, very likely the 12th is the US release date as well.

oneida

So, all of these games are already out in Japan? Sweet, I picked up After Burner II and was really happy with the port, I'll check out the rest

Out of all of them, I've only had experience with
After Burner
Ecco (Which I hated)
Outrun
Super Hang-On
Sonic
Streets of Rage

What should I look into next?
Galaxy force 2, no hesitation!

3D Fantasy Zone confirmed for EU on Feb. 12th. Considering 3D After Burner released in EU & US the same day, very likely the 12th is the US release date as well.
woohoo!

I bought all the games from the first wave except Altered Beast. I'll probably end up getting ABII, OutRun, and Thunderblade from this batch.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Still think Shining Force could work awesome with 3D

The problem with those top-down sprite games is that they're very difficult to convert to 3D, not just because they require more work but because they're already drawn in an "implied 3D" perspective that falls apart when you display them in "real" stereo 3D.

wondermega

The problem with those top-down sprite games is that they're very difficult to convert to 3D, not just because they require more work but because they're already drawn in an "implied 3D" perspective that falls apart when you display them in "real" stereo 3D.

Sigh. I guess that is why we cannot have this

zaxxon%20nes%20list.gif

Sweet! I just got an email from SEGA telling me I'm one of the winners of their 3D Classics: After Burner II contest. So FYI, if you entered and won a SEGA hoodie, you should find out soon!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sweet! I just got an email from SEGA telling me I'm one of the winners of their 3D Classics: After Burner II contest. So FYI, if you entered and won a SEGA hoodie, you should find out soon!
WOW, congrats!!

*checks email* HOLY CRAP, I WON A HOODIE AS WELL!!!

Opa-Opa character in Hero Bank's news to me. Another great interview, even without the second part (which comes tomorrow). Satisfied that M2 put a lot of work into rejiggering FZ's tile graphics routine(s) by adding cells for depth. 3D bosses (multiple sprites layered on top of each other) and redrawing assets for widescreen would have been cool, but I don't mind the compromises for this version (like bottom-screen map/info data).

Voliko

Good to see some Gaffers winning the contest, I happened to win a hoodie too haha.

Can't wait for Fantasy Zone later this week, the 3D sounds great reading the interview.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Good to see some Gaffers winning the contest, I happened to win a hoodie too haha.

Can't wait for Fantasy Zone later this week, the 3D sounds great reading the interview.
Haha, wow, 3 members won out of the 10 possible hoodies. Shame we gotta wait until early March to get them or have them be shipped out. Least it'll be in time for when Spring is starting.

I'm still hoping that Sega will bring over more 3DS themes, especially those system ones. That Saturn theme is probably the only time I would ever spend money on a theme. Would've been a cool bonus if we got a theme for buying the game (i.e buy 3D Fantasy Zone, get the theme for free).

Justinh

Congrats to the new hoodie owners!

I only have 3 of the sega classics games: Space Harrier, Afterburner II, and Super Hang-on

I love these games and I probably play the games in my sega classics folder more than any other download only game on my 3ds.

Sigh, they should do Panzer Dragoon Zwei...

@MUWANdo

Banned
Opa-Opa character in Hero Bank's news to me. Another great interview, even without the second part (which comes tomorrow). Satisfied that M2 put a lot of work into rejiggering FZ's tile graphics routine(s) by adding cells for depth. 3D bosses (multiple sprites layered on top of each other) and redrawing assets for widescreen would have been cool, but I don't mind the compromises for this version (like bottom-screen map/info data).

When they say "redrawing for widescreen" they mean that things like enemy spawns are tied to the boundaries of the screen, so you can't simply increase the viewing area without screwing up the game in a way that would require you to go in and manually adjust everything, and once you get to that point it stops being a faithful recreation.

Why this is still not on the 3DS I have no idea.

I don't know if it'll ever be officially translated, but the gist of the explanation from one of the interviews was that they'd assumed they'd be able to easily include all the 3D SMS games on the retail compilation but they quickly found out that every game uses different programming routines to display 3D, with some games even containing multiple different routines for different sections of the games, so they simply didn't have time to include every game.

NH: We’ve also refined the story while staying true to the original version as well.

KK: At first we were thinking that Upa-Upa had taken advantage of a financial meltdown to accumulate vast amounts of wealth by playing the market, and was using those funds to use weapons freely. That idea was rejected, though.
lol, I would have enjoyed a Fantasy Zone speculation game. Cool to hear Chibi-Tech's an M2 employee now, "Upa-Upa" should sound great.

Xbudz

I just got 3D After Burner II today. The controls are a bit tricky to get used to- but I love the game. I don't care much for Fantasy Zone but I'll buy it just to give Sega and M2 my support for their efforts.

wondermega

Excuse me bro, we already got Zaxxon 3D:

pLpAmWY.gif

Well, except one is extremely cool while the other is a lot more on the "meh" side of things. Fun fact, Zaxxon 3-D was the first stereoscopic game I played back in the day where I really felt I could hold my hand out in front of my face to touch the ship. It was something else for sure!

Tizoc

Question: When starting up Space Harrier the announcer says 'Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!', yet there is a game actually called Fantasy Zone, what's the idea behind that?

Question: When starting up Space Harrier the announcer says 'Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!', yet there is a game actually called Fantasy Zone, what's the idea behind that?
Other way 'round: FZ came out in 1986, a year after SH. Maybe Yoji Ishii and crew were cracking an in-joke when titling FZ in reference. Also, FZII System-16's bad ending treats both games as connected, which might have been an intention from early on given that SEGA used Opa-Opa as their second mascot.

daydream

Banned
Hope y'all saw the news about SoR2, seriously my number one request to get the M2 treatment. Also a good sign in the context of a potential third wave.

Other way 'round: FZ came out in 1986, a year after SH. Maybe Yoji Ishii and crew were cracking an in-joke when titling FZ in reference. Also, FZII System-16's bad ending treats both games as connected, which might have been an intention from early on given that SEGA used Opa-Opa as their second mascot.

Obviously all part of the UGSF. Namco pullin' the strings.

Tizoc

Ah I see thanks heh.

Nachos

Sorry for not keeping the OT updated. Once I publish the Monster Hunter OT later tonight, I'll work on getting all of the new stuff added (and eventually, I'll add descriptions for Wave 1, which I'm sure Duckroll will be happy about).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So quick question. What's the difference between the US & JP versions? It kind of bugs me when games offer this, but offer up no explanation as to what makes them different.

Top Bottom