• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

I think I might get myself Outrun, it looks perfectly 90s in style to me. The colors, the guy with his arm around the girl driving, it's just super stylish and fun to me. I've never played it, it might be dated as fuck and shitty, but whatever, I wanna give it a try.
It's definitely a product of its time, but there's not much like a three-point-perspective driving game where layers upon layers of sprites whiz by you with seconds ticking down to finish the cannonball run.

I think I might get myself Outrun, it looks perfectly 90s in style to me. The colors, the guy with his arm around the girl driving, it's just super stylish and fun to me. I've never played it, it might be dated as fuck and shitty, but whatever, I wanna give it a try.

Arcade version appeared in '86. It'll forever be perfectly 80s in style to me :)

AmyS

3D OutRun interview - Part 1

uRJXoR1.jpg

NH: Our hard work is paying dividends.

YO: That said, that hard work came back once again with Out Run. When was it that you showed me Out Run working for the first time?

NH: It was quite some time ago. Wasn’t it back in the spring of 2013?

YO: It’s worth noting that our second title, Super Hang-On, ran on the same arcade board as Out Run (commonly known as the “Out Run Board”, though it was the 2nd game on the system). So when the work on Super Hang-On was finished, M2 figured that with a little more effort, they could get Out Run working as well.

NH: Super Hang-On had an Out Run Board version as well, so we had a rough idea as to the work that would be involved.

YO: So with that, I had them show me the game running. But I immediately rejected it saying, “No. This isn’t going to work.” And the reason was because the port was running at 30 frames per second.

NH: Yes, but the arcade version rendered at 30 FPS as well.

- Oh, the original runs at 30 FPS, too.

YO: Out Run is the only game from that era of SEGA arcade “physical experience” games that ran at 30 FPS. All the other ones ran at 60 FPS. Out Run used a new arcade board that was a souped up version of Space Harrier’s Harrier Board, but I think because the development team put an extreme amount of work into the visual aspects of the title, the game was released running at 30 FPS. I don’t think anyone complained at the time, and it never bothered me personally until the Sega Saturn version was released.

- The Sega Saturn version! Wow, that was a really amazing port, wasn’t it?

YO: When you played the Sega Saturn version normally, it would run just like the arcade version at 30 FPS, but by putting in a cheat code, you could run the game at 60 FPS. It was a true testament to Rutubo Games, the developers, and I bet it caused those who played in this mode to “see the light,” as it were. I was actually in charge of the marketing for that game back then, and I was really impressed with Rutubo’s work the first time I saw it.

So when M2 first showed told me the game and said, “We got Out Run working,” I thought back to that and said, “This is going to have to run at 60 FPS.”

NH: Even though rendering at 30 FPS was being faithful to the original, there was a precedent for 60 FPS.

YO: The reasoning was that since the Saturn version ran at 60 FPS, the fans are undoubtedly going to want to see it running at 60 FPS. And since M2 is the sort of company that gets fixated on things like running at 60 FPS, it’s really a must-have.

NH: Well, you know… You aren’t wrong, but in order to get it rendering at 60 FPS, you need to get it running at around twice the speed of the arcade version.

The entirety of part 1 here:

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/03/05/sega-3d-classics-3d-out-run-part-1/

PROTIP for Saturn version (Japanese standalone Out Run or the 3-in-1 SEGA AGES compilation in NA)

T5p4mQj.jpg
CKqNoJt.jpg

60 FPS Smooth mode: Go to Options, highlight Game Mode, then hold A + C and press Left or Right

Thank you, Rutubo Games and M2.

60 FPS, it’s really a must-have.

30fps supporters, take your cinematic feel and blow it out your
logo.gif

Raitaro

There it almost is upon us in real life: Out Run - arcade perfect and running on a handheld machine so I can play it everywhere I go in summer to help me reach that perfect (Sega style) summer / sun, sea & beach mood. Words can't describe how incredible this is. Thank you M2 and Sega.

(If I may humbly ask one more thing: please do the often overlooked Turbo Outrun as well; it shouldn't take that much work after all the tremendous work you've done already.)

- Speaking from a render processing standpoint, you guys saved a lot of machine power in 3D Galaxy Force II because you made the upfront decision to use streaming for the music, right? But for 3D Out Run, you’re emulating the music as well. Did you ever consider changing your initial plans to emulate everything

NH: Not really. We figured that we got things to work with the Y-Board, and it didn’t really seem right to stream the music to achieve double the rendering on the Out Run Board.

YO: If you want to reproduce the music through streaming, you end up with a much larger data size. Most users get by with using the SD Card that their 3DS comes with, which would be a 2GB card for normal 3DS and 4GB for the XL. Since we are releasing a lot of games in this series, we want the users to be able to line them all up on their 3DS at one time, you know? So we want each title to be as small as possible. M2 is especially keen on this. I asked them if they were really okay with no streaming, and they were very obstinate about wanting to do it with emulation.

NH: We didn’t know if we could get everything running at 60 FPS, but we knew we wanted to do the sound via emulation. That never changed.
I really like what they're saying here. 3D Galaxy Force II sounds great, but Namiki and Chibi-Tech's work on the sound emulation and presentation for these games (love that equalizer!) is too important to gut if possible. Talking about how they handle processing elements originally not within the game's aspect ratio is fascinating.

And yes, Cannonball is awesome, and its feature list outweighs that of M2's, but I'll get the 3DS version anyway in hopes that it's more accurate to the original.

@MUWANdo

Banned
And yes, Cannonball is awesome, and its feature list outweighs that of M2's, but I'll get the 3DS version anyway in hopes that it's more accurate to the original.

The standard 60FPS mode has a lot of bigfixes and other changes, including ones the Cannonball didn't think necessary to implement, but there's an unlockable arcade-accurate that runs at 30FPS and is more or less identical to the arcade game.

orient

Neo Member
For those wondering about no Fantasy Zone in Australia, it looks like the entirety of the remaining titles have been delayed:
3ds.png

Sucks.

Nachos

I finally got off my lazy butt and added descriptions for the wave 1 games! I also added links to the new interviews, and once I get a chance to read through them and the Fantasy Zone ones, I'll format them all properly.

Second part's up:

YO: When you use the upgraded parts, the timing for avoiding other cars changes. If you powered up everything, it would probably get pretty easy. But if you don’t equip every part, and say just go with the engine, you will notice you fishtail all over the place, and it’s pretty fun. Each part makes the game a little different, and I hope everyone finds the fun in that.

- Well this sounds like it’ll be fun. Not only does the car behavior change, but the difficulty changes as well.

YO: There is separate save data for “Normal” and “Tuned,” as well. You’ll get more parts every time you cross the goal line, so the more you clear the game, the easier it gets (laughs). So your first goal might be the hardest one. For those who think it’s too hard, you can lower the difficulty and remove the other cars from the road. Or save halfway through. In any case, just try to get through to the finish line, collect all the parts, and have fun trying them all.

For the tires you get at the very end, it basically puts you into a state where you’re basically always using the gear gacha trick. Scitron* put out a strategy video long time ago about the SEGA “physical experience” games, which included Out Run. They played through the full game using the gear gacha technique, pretty much off the road the whole time. We made it so you can try that yourself without having to use the gear gacha technique, because it’s an automatic gear gacha machine. But of course there’s obstacles like rocks and whatnot, so you have to have an understanding of what lies outside the course. If you get into it, it becomes an entirely different game. (laughs)
Gear-gacha must have been fun and useful for getting the best times in 1986.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really want a round three. That being said Wave 2 is so much better without turds like Ecco and Altered Beast in them.

I hope we get the retail-exclusive Master System games in the west, it was Out Run and Space Harrier I believe?

Yup, Out Run 3D and Space Harrier 3D. The games have aged poorly (Space Harrier 3D is an unbearable chug-fest at times) but there's still so much love from M2 in their presentation. European/Japanese versions of each game, FM sound toggle, various screen borders etc., they've pretty much covered everything.

But yeah, it would be cool to see them released in the West. Maybe at a super budget price point, or bundle the two games together.

I hope they're able to do the rest of the 3D Master System games eventually. There's Zaxxon 3D, Blade Eagle 3D, Maze Hunter 3D, Missile Defense 3D and Poseidon Wars 3D left.

These are really fantastic; I am not a Drag guy but Out Run has a special place in my heart so it is a must buy. These interviews make me interested in the other releases I am not familiar with.
I feel sad knowing that Sam, the producer/translator working on these interviews, is probably next in line for SEGA of America layoffs. The branch could easily have decided not to do any translations after Siliconera chose against for the second wave.

rjc571

Banned
You guys are really in for a treat with Outrun 3D. It's a shining example of how to update a beloved classic with small enhancements while still maintaining the look and the feel of the original.

Remk

Messing around on the Eshop I saw Outrun i releasing this Thursday!
I am hyped, HYPED! for this release, with the quality of the port and the improved 3D effect of the N3DS I can see myself playing every day.

Perfect Outrun on the go! just put it directly into my veins Sega!!!

AmyS

I hope they're able to do the rest of the 3D Master System games eventually. There's Zaxxon 3D, Blade Eagle 3D, Maze Hunter 3D, Missile Defense 3D and Poseidon Wars 3D left.

I had all of the SegaScope3D games in the late 80s. Loved em, and Missile Defense 3D was programmed by none other than Mark Cerny, chief architect of the PS4.

TwiztidElf

For those wondering about no Fantasy Zone in Australia, it looks like the entirety of the remaining titles have been delayed:
3ds.png

Sucks.

Thanks for the info.
That's a damn shame. I figured they had just not decided to pay to get Fantasy Zone re-rated, and OutRun would just come through at the same time as the rest of the world.

Fingers crossed they don't decide to scrap it altogether. We NEED OutRun! To complete the set with Space Harrier and AfterBurner if for nothing else.

Neff

After buying my New 3DS XL I've picked up a couple more of the first wave titles, and it's a real shame how hard these games are to find via the 3DS' awful eShop layout. It makes me wonder how well these things sell based on it, because they deserve much, much better. They're just ridiculously good ports.

Here's hoping enough of a song and dance is made about Out Run this week.

Lettuce

Has there been any announcement that there will be a 3rd batch of this 3D Classics?. They'd be silly to stop now, love to see...

Power Drift
OutRunners
Rad Mobile
Enduro Racer
A B Cop

Banjoman

Has there been any announcement that there will be a 3rd batch of this 3D Classics?. They'd be silly to stop now, love to see...

Power Drift
OutRunners
Rad Mobile
Enduro Racer
A B Cop
No announcement but we have this.
But it could also be a bonus for a second retail release in Japan.

edit: and of course an eshop release in EU/NA, but without a real new series behind it.

Power Drift
OutRunners
Rad Mobile
Enduro Racer
A B Cop

Nothing official, but 3D Streets of Rage 2 was rated by the Australian classification board last month, so a third wave seems very likely.

Oh man I'd love to see Power Drift <3

Edit: haha oh wow! Beaten ;)

Man..I've been playing Fantasy Zone since freakin' 86 and used to beat it with my eyes closed. Not any more!! WTF! I admit that the 3DS itself is causing some of my problems as its not as comfortable as holding a controller like the SMS, Genesis..etc but still... c'mon now. LOL

I really need to buy some small headphones just for the 3DS as the volume and quality of the speakers suck like most handhelds.

Lettuce

Man..I've been playing Fantasy Zone since freakin' 86 and used to beat it with my eyes closed. Not any more!! WTF! I admit that the 3DS itself is causing some of my problems as its not as comfortable as holding a controller like the SMS, Genesis..etc but still... c'mon now. LOL

I really need to buy some small headphones just for the 3DS as the volume and quality of the speakers suck like most handhelds.

Get yourself one of those game grips, i have no and its a life saver no more claw hand

I have this one.....

316KwmVruzL.jpg

and its just like holding a control pad now

bjork

I saw OutRun in the eshop menu and I'm glad it's finally here. It's really the one I've been waiting for this whole time, and while I've bought and played all the others, it'll definitely be the one I spend the most time with.

retroman

Good news, fellow Europeans!

All 3D Classics from Wave 1 (except Sonic) will be discounted this week!

Nintendolife said:
3D Altered Beast (Sega, €2.49 / £2.24 until 19th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Ecco the Dolphin (Sega, €2.49 / £2.04 until 19th March, normally €4.49 / £4.09)
3D Galaxy Force II (Sega, €2.49 / £2.24 until 19th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Streets of Rage (Sega, €2.49 / £2.24 until 19th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (Sega, €2.49 / £2.24 until 19th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Super Hang-On (Sega, €2.49 / £2.24 until 19th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Space Harrier (Sega, €2.49 / £2.24 until 19th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/03/nintendo_download_12th_march_europe

It's ok, they're good games anyway.

Young me would tell you the opposite but I haven't played either in a very long time, so I'm definitely interested in being surprised and proved wrong.

Same here!

Those two games are the only 3D Classics I hadn't bought, so this discount is a good reason to complete my collection now.

You know this means we'll have to buy Thunderblade soon though, right?
Maybe we should think this through.....

Top Bottom