• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld is the Unfunniest Sitcom of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
After this entertaining thread I can't wait to see gaf's furry when someone makes a "The Wire sucks" thread.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I never liked this, or Friends.

The only sitcom I ever liked was Fresh Prince, and The Simpsons:p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Seinfeld had the right idea with making a comedy about a bunch of assholes acting assholish to each other but it never seemed to hit the sweet spot for me (although I've only seen a dozen or two episodes across the years)
Everybody Loves Raymond does it much more effectively for me, probably because you have the family dynamic in there.

Mangotron

How could you hate the finale? It's the perfect ending.

I dunno, maybe I got too attached to the characters having watched 10 years of tv in ~3 months. To me it felt a bit like it was giving a "moral" tone to the whole thing. I thought the complete lack of moral compass throughout the rest of the show was part of what made it great, so it seemed kind of out of place.

Not so much that the finale was "bad" by itself, but I personally felt it was a non-sequitur to the rest of the show.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm not gonna say someone's wrong for not liking Seinfeld. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of the show myself.

But if it's the least funny sitcom you've ever seen, then you just haven't seen many sitcoms. Try watching some generic and awful family sitcoms like Yes Dear, According to Jim, or The War at Home, then get back to me.

legend166

I really don't get Seinfeld's popularity and have simply chalked it up as "different strokes for different folks." One of my roomates in college was about as straight-laced and square as they come. He was a super nice guy but damn if he wasn't the most boring and bland person I'd ever met. I remember every fucking weekday at 7 in the evening he would stop whatever he was doing, haul ass to the living room, and turn on Seinfeld. I would hear him laughing his ass off in there, like so hard he was gasping for breath at times. One day I sat down to watch a few episodes with him and it was like we were watching two entirely different shows. Although every fiber of my being wanted to flee from the unfunny beaming from our TV, I forced myself to sit through 2 complete, back to back episodes and concluded it was the worst thing I'd ever seen. To this day if I hear that fucking bass riff, my right eye starts twitching.

Bad news - you're the boring, bland one.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sorry I should have quoted the posts I was referring to. There have been a few new strong haters on this page. I'm just want some context.

What does it mean to tell you what shows I like? So I can construct a list for you to tell me they aren't as funny as seinfeld?

God, fighting over 90s sitcoms? Obviously missing out on the true victor for 00s:

936full-malcolm-in-the-middle-photo2.jpg

:D

What does it mean to tell you what shows I like? So I can construct a list for you to tell me they aren't as funny as seinfeld?

So he can understand what type of humor you do find funny.

Like with Ichabod, the humor has to be exagerated, caricatural, pastiche, random, and clear cut.
It is easy to see why he doesn't find Seinfeld funny.

Seinfeld is a timeless monument to modern culture. Believing anything less would be...uncivilized.

Seriously, I really do believe the show is timeless. Technology changes and some scenarios are now outdated because of it, but the show's incredibly revealing exposes on social tension and awkwardness remain unparalleled in a "pop" sitcom. There is a Seinfeld for every situation.

God bless this show. For the record, I am 23.

This pretty much nails it.

If I met an alien from outer space who needs to be acquainted with our social norms in the most efficient way possible, I would have him watch Seinfeld.

Fjordson

Two and A Half Men on the level of Seinfeld? Dane Cook most hilarious person alive in comparison? Worse than Friends??

Da fuck. Seinfeld is one of the greatest shows of all time.

Appleman

Fine. I counter with 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels'.

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

I almost want to derail the thread just to make sure that everyone who hasn't yet watches this movie. Definitely one of my all time favourites.

Also, Seinfeld is the greatest TV comedy, the second half of the finale sucked, and Friends is terrible. I think we're done here.

Korey

I really don't get Seinfeld's popularity and have simply chalked it up as "different strokes for different folks." One of my roomates in college was about as straight-laced and square as they come. He was a super nice guy but damn if he wasn't the most boring and bland person I'd ever met. I remember every fucking weekday at 7 in the evening he would stop whatever he was doing, haul ass to the living room, and turn on Seinfeld. I would hear him laughing his ass off in there, like so hard he was gasping for breath at times. One day I sat down to watch a few episodes with him and it was like we were watching two entirely different shows. Although every fiber of my being wanted to flee from the unfunny beaming from our TV, I forced myself to sit through 2 complete, back to back episodes and concluded it was the worst thing I'd ever seen. To this day if I hear that fucking bass riff, my right eye starts twitching.
Exactly. This is what people don't understand. It's not that I don't want to like the show. On the contrary...i desperately want to like it. I want to get it. That's why I've spent the time to watch 16 episodes so far. But it's like we're watching two completely different shows.

Kind of Queens is probably the funniest. I constantly laugh multiple times throughout the episode.

Most of the time I find something amusing but I don't really laugh. I love Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. but they fall in this category.

The first few seasons are a little dry, but my god you cannot be serious about calling it the MUOAT, I mean really?

Drop the hyperbole, dude, it suits you not.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it is obscenely funny. what's brilliant about it is that it seems to include so many different types of humor for so many tastes, so even someone with the most stunted sense of what is funny can like it. only the severely mentally handicapped seem to be precluded from its joys.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm someone who dislikes Seinfeld but loves Curb Your Enthusiasm. Dunno why...maybe Jerry Seinfeld's unfunny influence suppressed Larry David's talent?

derder

I can't take laugh tracks or a studio audience -- completely ruins it.

</3 Seinfeld </3 Two and Half Men </3 Friends </3 That 70s Show </3 Married with Children

<3 AD <3 Modern Family <3 Always Sunny <3 Curb <3 Tim&Eric

Edit: I get the same feeling watching those shows as I do when someone whips out their phone in a movie theater. Completely takes me out of the experience

Mohonky

Never understood the appeal of this show either. I have never found myself able to sit through a whole episode, its just stupid.

Only sitcom (not on the air today) that ever makes me laugh is Will and Grace....and only because the character Karen is brilliant.

Paracelsus

I am actually fascinated by people able to laugh at this stuff. I enjoy sit-coms but laughing? Never happened I think, not even when I was a kid. I get way more laughs from the first ten seasons of The Simpsons or cheap movies like White Collar Blues.

it is obscenely funny. what's brilliant about it is that it seems to include so many different types of humor for so many tastes, so even someone with the most stunted sense of what is funny can like it. only the severely mentally handicapped seem to be precluded from its joys.

So I peg you at 16?

Yep - when someone says they like friends i just automatically assume they cannot tie their own shoelaces.

You couldn't be more wrong in life if you praise Friends and hate Seinfeld. I pity you people. Something horrible must have happened in your life that affected your brain.

I don't like Seinfeld and I prefer Friends but at least I don't attack Seinfeld fans.

greepoman

I was thinking that maybe Seinfeld gets a little inflated for those of us who watched it at the time due to the shows it went up against. There really wasn't anything like it. I went ahead and made a sort of "Top 25 90s Sitcoms" list just by IMDB ranking:

Code:
	Show                         	Year	IMDB Rating
1	Seinfeld                     	1990	9
2	Friends                      	1994	8.9
3	The Simpsons             	1989	8.8
4	The Larry Sanders Show        	1992	8.6
5	The Wonder Years        	1988	8.4
6	Married with Children        	1987	8.2
7	NewsRadio                 	1995	8.1
8	Frasier                       	1993	8.1
9	Boy Meets World                	1993	7.9
10	The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air	1990	7.9
11	Wings                        	1990	7.4
12	Home Improvement        	1991	7.1
13	Everybody Loves Raymond        	1996	7.1
14	Roseanne                  	1988	7
15	Murphy Brown            	1988	6.9
16	Coach                       	1989	6.9
17	The Nanny                 	1993	6.7
18	Mad About You            	1992	6.6
19	Martin                        	1992	6.6
20	Living Single              	1993	6.6
21	Doogie Howser, M.D.         	1989	6.4
22	Family Matters             	1989	6.4
23	Sabrina, the Teenage Witch	1996	6.2
24	Step by Step              	1991	6.2
25	Full House                  	1987	6.1

Definitely some real clunkers in there. There's a lot more variety these days.

dorkimoe

I absolutely hated this show when i was about 16 or 17, my brother and cousin were hooked on it, they were in there 20's. I just didnt see the funny, it had no point and was just stupid. Then when I got into my 20s i appreciated the show a lot more. I still dont think Jerry himself is funny at all. But George costanza is single-handedly the funniest character ever created.

Xenon

My wife says she hates the show because it always seems like they're yelling at each other. Now I can't un-hear it. I still love the show, but there is a lot of negative energy in it. I can see that alone turning people off. It's a show where you are actually laughing at people. Sure there are jokes and goofy characters, but in the end the true humor comes from laughing at the misery of the main four characters or the misery they cause others. It's like a psychological Jackass. How much mental abuse can people take.

If you don't get it that's fine. But don't try to tell me that your lack of enjoyment is anything other than your own personal preference because the show is undoubtedly one of the most influential TV shows every made. Besides why would anyone sit through more than one or two episodes of a show they did not enjoy? Forget about it and come back later. I hated The Office(us) the first time I saw it. A few years after I watched on Netflix and it just clicked for me.

I still dont think Jerry himself is funny at all.

Thats the joke, he was the straight man in his own show.

I don't like the humor.
I don't understand the humor.
I find the humor stupid.
There is no humor.

4 different statements that warrant 4 different responses.

HeySeuss

I've voiced my disdain for this crap pile of a show multiple times. I imagined making this thread and this is pretty much exactly how I thought it would play out.

For the record, worst sitcom ever is a little harsh, as it has it's moments despite them being few and far between. George is the only redeeming quality the show has. Kramer's routine gets tiresome fast and Jerry is just extremely unlikeable and unfunny. Elaine is just sort of there, not overly good or bad.

I don't have cable and typically watch this every night. I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom