• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serial: Season 01 Discussion - This American Life meets True Detective

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBoy

I thought Part 3 was a really unsatisfying ending to the interview. I think at some point you have to ask Jay the question: "But if you haven't listened to the podcast, how can you state that she created this image of you?" Koenig's portrayal is fair based on the information she has, and it's clear that she's very cautious about the information she shares on the show and the information she doesn't.

I think it's fair that Jay is unhappy with Koenig and the podcast and doesn't want to talk to her. I don't think it's smart or rational, but not everything in life is... but basically he's making all these statements without the knowledge to actually state them.

So for the first time we learn Stephanie's thoughts about Adnan. She didn't think Adnan did it, and apparently -if I'm reading it correctly- her and Jay were still fighting about it right before Jay's interview.

That's really interesting She doesn't believe her then boyfriends testimony, AND they stayed a couple for years afterwards. I can only wonder what sort of private conversations they had about this.

The timeline of his conversations with Stephanie is not entirely clear (see what I did there?)... but the thing about that conversation is it reads to me like he's almost blaming her for Hae's death... and if he's not going that far, he's at least blaming her for his involvement in her death. Classy.

As to Jay's motives, even if he's not involved, he is by his own admission terrified of the police arresting him on drug charges. Take a black kid, put him in a police interview about a murder, dangle drug charges over him, dangle murder charges over him, spend hours talking to him without a lawyer, without a tape recorder running... The police could have gotten him to admit to shooting Kennedy.
After recently watching 4 seasons of The Wire, it's basically a dysfunctional criminal/judicial system at play that makes me so frustrated about the whole thing. The cops just want a nice bowtie to put on their homicide investigation, and basically had the murder play out for them after they dangled drug prosecution infront of Jay. Any kid in his circumstance would do what he did.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Absolutely and I bet they're shitting bricks that it's getting this much attention.

Listening to the whole thing raptly, I honestly don't know if he is innocent or not. I don't even want to speculate, really. I'm definitely sure that the state's case was absolute horseshit.

I also like how he posts those reasonable and neutral-sounding e-mails by SK and concludes she is out to DESTROY HIM.
Yep. How the hell is it that the more he talks, even though I believe Adnan did it, I come to like Jay less? I know his life has to be stressful and falling to shit because of assholes on the internet, and he had every damn right to refuse Sarah an interview....but come on. Accusing Sarah of leaking shit online? That's just fucking dumb and childish to believe.
How did Jay think this interview was a good idea?
No clue. And if he wanted people to hear his voice, his best avenue still would have been to speak to Serial. I think out of prideful spite he won't, because he blames them for what is happening to his family. And he is right, but he also isn't handling it intelligently. I honestly believe Jay know Adnan did it, but determined with the cops that lies needed to be told to make the case stronger. Whether you agree that lying is okay if it puts a murderer behind bars is another debate. But the smartest thing Jay could've done, if he is lying to keep a murderer behind bars, is to keep his mouth shut now. To Serial. To fucking anyone. Because all these years later it is probably much harder to remember the lies that put Hae's killer behind bars.

If that is how it went down. I could be wrong.

Squire

Banned
How did Jay think this interview was a good idea?

He probably feels Koenig slighted him in her portrayal of his character or wanted to. If that's the case (I don't believe it is) than he made it worse by refusing to talk to her and Snyder on tape and worse still by doing these interviews (which are shady as all get out).

Jay's interview seemed pretty reasonable to me if you take the big picture stuff he said at face value. He testified at this trial a long time ago, has been working to put his involvement in it and all his past criminal activity behind him, and has built a new life. Then someone comes to talk to him, and that destroys so much of what he's built. Even though from Sarah's perspective I think she was absolutely above board and fairly neutral with how she handled Jay, especially after she talked to him, the guy is obviously going to be angry about what Serial has done to his life.

And I don't really hold it against Jay that so much of what he recalls is inconsistent with any other timeline. It's decades later now. And he seems to have a pretty poor ability to recall details in general. Of course, I think that also makes his trial testimony less persuasive, and I think because of that there may have been reasonable doubt.

On the other hand... I can buy that Jay just had bad memory and that's why his timelines don't work out, but you can't attribute "Adnan showed me the body" to an inaccurate memory. So for there to be reasonable doubt, Jay has to be purposely lying about Adnan's entire involvement. And a lie that big might have unraveled in the past 15 years.

So what is the absolute biggest, most damning inconsistency in Jay's story? Besides timing, do we have anything to counter that Jay says:

Adnan said he would kill Hae
Adnan said he killed Hae
Adnan showed Jay the body
Adnan and Jay dug a grave together

Socreges

Banned
No, I didn't miss it, but it is a dumb angle. Why would Jay know where Hae's car was if some randoms serial killer did it? Why would Jay and Adnan be exactly where Jay said they were burying Hae's body, as coborrorated by cell pings, if some randoms serial killer did it? Why would Jay 100% make up everything he said (which he would be if some random serial killer did it)? What would Jay's motive for that be?

It is an absurd idea IMO. I think the lawyer in the innocence project is just hoping for some random link when there is a crazy amount of evidence saying that Jay and Adnan had to be involved, that it couldn't be some random serial killer unless Jay and Adnan were there with the serial killer helping to all three kill Hae. Yeah, not likely.

And why would Jay have been scared for his life, scared specifically about Adnan as his coworker said in the last podcast? The guy sounded 100% believable to me and the story sounded very authentic. Jay was scared for his life, very scared, and specifically scared of Adnan. Why would he be like that if some random serial killer is the one who killed Hae?

The only person with a real motive in all this is, surprise, the ex-boyfriend, the guy everything is pointing to having done this.
You're exaggerating, distorting and ignoring certain bits of information, apparently to support your belief that there is no reasonable doubt. Comes across as overcompensation. Why do that? One of the most important takeaways, at least far as I'm concerned, is that certainty in this case is utterly elusive.

Amir0x

Banned
I definitely think Adnan should not have been convicted based on this evidence.

If I could have anything answered, though, it's how did Jay know where the car was, and why did Adnan lend the car and cellphone to Jay that day. If I could answer these issues adequately in my head, I could shake the bit of me that says deep down Adnan must be connected.

I think almost everyone can agree this is not the sort of evidence you send someone to prison for life for, though.

One thing that always bothered me was Dana's commentary on Adnan's luck. She made the point that having the amount of bad luck that he had to have in this case to make him innocent would have been too unlikely. This was wierd to me because of how much NPR has done on coincidences in our lives, and how absolutely crazy they can be.

Coincidences exist everywhere in our universe. Events defined by strings of these coincidences happen all the time. Mathematically they are bound to. I would love to know how many events described as "strings of unbelievable luck" good or bad, occurred on that day in January. My guess it would put some perspective on the likelihood of a very bad string of luck at least.

Overall though? Goddam there are sooooo many unanswered questions.

Dalek

One thing that always bothered me was Dana's commentary on Adnan's luck. She made the point that having the amount of bad luck that he had to have in this case to make him innocent would have been too unlikely. This was wierd to me because of how much NPR has done on coincidences in our lives, and how absolutely crazy they can be.

Coincidences exist everywhere in our universe. Events defined by strings of these coincidences happen all the time. Mathematically they are bound too. I would love to know how many events described as "strings of unbelievable luck" good or bad, occurred on that day in January. My guess it would put some perspective on the likelihood of a very bad string of luck at least.

Overall though? Goddam there are sooooo many unanswered questions.

That part did strike me as really odd too.

Blader

Jay's interview seemed pretty reasonable to me if you take the big picture stuff he said at face value. He testified at this trial a long time ago, has been working to put his involvement in it and all his past criminal activity behind him, and has built a new life. Then someone comes to talk to him, and that destroys so much of what he's built. Even though from Sarah's perspective I think she was absolutely above board and fairly neutral with how she handled Jay, especially after she talked to him, the guy is obviously going to be angry about what Serial has done to his life.

And I don't really hold it against Jay that so much of what he recalls is inconsistent with any other timeline. It's decades later now. And he seems to have a pretty poor ability to recall details in general. Of course, I think that also makes his trial testimony less persuasive, and I think because of that there may have been reasonable doubt.

On the other hand... I can buy that Jay just had bad memory and that's why his timelines don't work out, but you can't attribute "Adnan showed me the body" to an inaccurate memory. So for there to be reasonable doubt, Jay has to be purposely lying about Adnan's entire involvement. And a lie that big might have unraveled in the past 15 years.

So what is the absolute biggest, most damning inconsistency in Jay's story? Besides timing, do we have anything to counter that Jay says:

Adnan said he would kill Hae
Adnan said he killed Hae
Adnan showed Jay the body
Adnan and Jay dug a grave together

Didn't Jay testify that Adnan had told him in advance he would kill Hae, but in this interview he says Adnan never told him and it must've been a spur of the moment thing?

Listening to the whole thing raptly, I honestly don't know if he is innocent or not. I don't even want to speculate, really. I'm definitely sure that the state's case was absolute horseshit.
Well that's the thing. Jury can only tell if enough evidence is there to convict a person or not. Based on the evidence so far (including Jay's stories), and examining everythin in detail, at best the evidence is inconclusive.

SickBoy

While in real life, I think the least harm (and therefore preferable) turn of events would be for any investigation via the Innocence Project, etc., to confirm Adnan's guilt. ("Maybe the trial was a touch sketchy, but at least he should be there.")

However, in the wake of this kind of drive-by on Koenig and the general boisterous certainty of people who 100% certain of that guilt make me think it would sure be a great smackdown if he were actually innocent.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I disagree with the idea that Koenig wanted to exonerate Adnan. And I continue to believe that she offered up a degree of transparency you'll rarely see in long-form journalism.

(Re: the cell tower information, I did find Urick's point interesting about how they were different, technologically, in 1999... though that Vice piece contradicts that claim:

GPS in smartphones notwithstanding, have cell-phone towers themselves changed much since, say, 1999? They’re just as unreliable today as they were 15 years ago when used to pinpoint a person’s exact location?
​That’s right. I mean, when you’re trying to determine a person’s location based upon call records—they were never intended to serve that function. They’re intended to give customer satisfaction, to virtually all the time connect you. And in order to do that, the network computers have to balance the load.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/serial-cell-data)

black_13

Banned
I really agree with Koenig in the final episode that even if Adnan did do it, without any actual evidence he should not have been found guilty. All they really have is Jay's story which has constantly changed.

Jay just bit himself in the ass by not talking to Koenig. Even when he tries to make her sound deceitful in that Intercept interview, those emails sent by her clearly show she tried her best to get Jay's side of the story and present them in the fair manner.

That Intercept interview proved even further for me the point that Jay is definitely hiding something.

I really agree with Koenig in the final episode that even if Adnan did do it, without any actual evidence he should not have been found guilty. All they really have is Jay's story which has constantly changed.

Jay just bit himself in the ass by not talking to Koenig. Even when he tries to make her sound deceitful in that Intercept interview, those emails sent by her clearly show she tried her best to get Jay's side of the story and present them in the fair manner.

That Intercept interview proved even further for me the point that Jay is definitely hiding something.
As the trial transcripts leak, there's a lot of flimsy evidence that does make Adnan look worse, and if it doesn't make Adnan look worse, it certainly makes Sarah Koenig look worse.

For instance, Sarah said at no point did Hae describe Adnan as possessive in her diary. But the excerpt she quoted from Hae's diary literally stops one sentence before Hae goes on to call Adnan possessive.

It irks me to know that I’m against his religion. He called me a devil a few times. I know he’s only joking but it’s somewhat true. I hate that. It’s like making me choose between me and his religion. The second thing is the possessiveness. Independence (indiscernible). I’m a very independent person. I rarely rely on my parents. Although I love him, it’s not like I need him. I know I’ll be just fine without him, and I need some time for myself and (indiscernible) other than him. How dare he get mad at me for planning to hang with Aisha? The third thing is the mind play. I’m sure it’s out of jealousy. Shit, I don’t get jealous. And I think whoever trying [sic] to get me jealous is a fool because you’ll definitely lose me. I prefer a straight relationship that don’t get people mixed in just [sic] he wanted to play mind games.
Sarah quoted the first three or four sentences.

Sarah spends a bit of time over the course of several episodes trying to determine if a phone ever existed at the Best Buy. Gutierrez, she says, never bothered to find out. That isn't correct. In her opening statements:
There’s a gas station and then a McDonald’s and you go around and BestBuy’s, like all other BestBuy’s all over America, have the same building. They’re built according to a plan. Their entrance is the same.

The entrance to BestBuy shows you a huge glass panel in the shape of what I call house and the building is the same. There’s a guard there that loosely checks. There’s a parking lot on the side. There’s a single telephone right inside that entrance open to the public.
Further, Gutierrez wanted to be able to take the jury to Best Buy on a field trip to examine the so-called crime scene. Perhaps she knew there was a discrepancy between Jay's diagram of the payphones and where they actually were. Perhaps she wanted to show how implausible it was to murder someone in that parking lot. Who knows. But between her opening statements and this, it would appear obvious that Gutierrez did her due dilligence.

Adnan looks more guilty to me than ever now. The Jay interviews really wrap the case up for me. Adnan is 99.9999% guilty of killing Hae IMO and Sarah Koenig was suckered in by the psycho's charisma.

Amir0x

Banned
Adnan looks more guilty to me than ever now. The Jay interviews really wrap the case up for me. Adnan is 99.9999% guilty of killing Hae IMO and Sarah Koenig was suckered in by the psycho's charisma.

What did it for you?

All I got is that there is no way in the universe enough to convict a 17 or 18 year old boy for life, and even though I think the odds are quite high he is connected in some way, there's just no way to adequately prove it with the evidence provided. Put simply, there is hardly any viable evidence and there is an infinite amount of reasonable doubt here. Can we really put someone to jail for life based on this flabby case? Obviously, we technically can. But should we?

And given all the lies in Jay's testimony that we can confirm and that he ADMITTED to, it's beyond reasonable doubt to say he might be lying about the scenario described too.

Korey

Can someone explain to me how this series works?

It's a nonfiction story, but on their site it says:

Each season, we'll follow a plot and characters wherever they take us. And we won’t know what happens at the end until we get there, not long before you get there with us.

This means they don't know what happens in the story they're telling until shortly before they record it? How does that work? I don't get it.

I think a lot of people are looking at as "he's in jail, of course he's guilty" and don't want to see it any other way. But then I also feel the opposite is true. So basically it's all cognitive dissonance when they listen to what they want to listen to.

For me, there's one thing that really stands out: Why would Jay need to hide himself online for the last 15 years? Who is he afraid of? As has been mentioned in this thread, Adnan is in jail. That white van parked outside his work? Adnan was already in jail then, right? Was it the "Pakistans" coming after him? I just can't believe that he's still afraid of something 15 years later.

Also, hiding like that has also caused him to be way behind the time technologically/sociologically speaking. Being upset that someone used public records to find him? Maybe he's related to Kirby Delauter.

Has anyone listened to the Slate podcast for the Jay interview? I hope they have another for the prosecutor. It'd be nice if they went a little more in-depth in their discussion. They shouldn't be trying to convince each other of what they think, they should be talking about it.

Tom_Cody

Serial takes a "boy, there are a lot of inconsistencies, let's try and figure out what really happnend" angle, while these Intercept articles tend to come off as "ADNAD IS IN JAIL SO HE DID IT WHY ARE WE EXAMINING EVIDENCE WHEN HE WAS CONVICTED OMG SARAH KOENIG IS SO IRRESPONSIBLE WHAT ABOUT HAE?"
Agreed. This interview was so maddening.

(Re: the cell tower information, I did find Urick's point interesting about how they were different, technologically, in 1999... though that Vice piece contradicts that claim:

GPS in smartphones notwithstanding, have cell-phone towers themselves changed much since, say, 1999? They’re just as unreliable today as they were 15 years ago when used to pinpoint a person’s exact location?
​That’s right. I mean, when you’re trying to determine a person’s location based upon call records—they were never intended to serve that function. They’re intended to give customer satisfaction, to virtually all the time connect you. And in order to do that, the network computers have to balance the load.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/serial-cell-data)
I was annoyed at the time that Serial didn't focus more on this. It would be nice to have a more conclusive explanation of the cell records. Urick says one thing and this expert says something else.

Urick says this:

TI: Syed never testified. What would you have asked him if he had?

KU: I would’ve gone through the cellphone records. You called this person at this time. Jay talked to this person at this time. And my very last question would be: What is your explanation for why you either received or made a call from Leakin Park the evening that Hae Min Lee disappeared, the very park that her body was found in five weeks later? I think that was the stumbling block for the defense. They have no explanation for that. They went to extreme lengths to try to discredit Jay’s testimony. This was not an ill prepared defense. This was a well-funded defense. They had a private detective. Cristina Gutierrez had at least two paralegals, who I think were law students waiting for their bar results, working for her. They subpoenaed Jay’s school [records], criminal [records], all sorts of records about Jay. And they had a test run because this was really two trials. The first trial ended in mistrial right at the end of the state’s case. So they got a chance to view the state’s case as we were going to present it. They had everything. There were no surprises going into the second trial. They knew everything. And they tried for five days to do everything [to discredit Jay’s testimony]. Jay’s prior inconsistent statements, they presented all that. The problem was that the cellphone records corroborated so much of Jay’s testimony. He said we were at this place, and [they] were. And he said that in the police interviews prior to obtaining the cellphone evidence. A lot of what he said was corroborated by the cellphone evidence, including that the two of them were at Leakin Park.

Any yet the Serial episode essentially said that most of their lives were clustered around that area and that the call could have been made from a pretty wide area (with Leakin Park falling within that zone).

pantsmith

Jay, who has a reputation with just about everyone interviewed for being a liar, who has changed his story multiple times, convinced you? His interview was essentially him disagreeing with the story he told under oath.

I don't know who did it if not Adnan, but I don't think we can prove anything other than it sure looks like he did it.

Karu

Can someone explain to me how this series works?

It's a nonfiction story, but on their site it says:

This means they don't know what happens in the story they're telling until shortly before they record it? How does that work? I don't get it.
They're investigating while recording the podcast. So... say in episode 3, they follow a lead which will be resolved...maybe in episode 7?! At the time of ep 3, they don't know that yet, because... real life and shit.

turtle553

Jay, who has a reputation with just about everyone interviewed for being a liar, who has changed his story multiple times, convinced you? His interview was essentially him disagreeing with the story he told under oath.

I don't know who did it if not Adnan, but I don't think we can prove anything other than it sure looks like he did it.

Still, it sounds like Jay was cross examined for five days without any substantial changes to the main points of the story. Adnan showed him the body and he helped dig the grave. And now those parts of the story are the same. Details have changed, but that has stayed consistent.

People are saying "but if Adnan is sooo innocent, why didn't he take a stand? What's he hiding???". No defense lawyer wants his client to take the stand, even if he is 100% innocent without a shred of doubt. Its how a legal system works in US. It opens up the trial to unknowns, and no defense attorney wants to lose control over that.

Still, it sounds like Jay was cross examined for five days without any substantial changes to the main points of the story. Adnan showed him the body and he helped dig the grave. And now those parts of the story are the same. Details have changed, but that has stayed consistent.
Consistency doesn't imply truth, though. Consider that what if Jay decided to lie about those things? Since those are his main lies, of course they would stay consistent, whereas it feels like he makes up supporting details on-the-fly to protect those statements.

ReAxion

People are saying "but if Adnan is sooo innocent, why didn't he take a stand? What's he hiding???". No defense lawyer wants his client to take the stand, even if he is 100% innocent without a shred of doubt. Its how a legal system works in US. It opens up the trial to unknowns, and no defense attorney wants to lose control over that.

Not to mention, anyone thinking that has forgotten like the cornerstone of the legal system: innocent until proven guilty.

This was the most disappointing aspect to me. People have a Constitutional right not to testify in their own criminal case, and it is used against them despite instruction to the jury not to do so. I understand the human need to hear from the defendant, but it is just unfortunate that that need trumps the Constitution.

Tom_Cody

You're being kind of obtuse here.

Jay is definitely connected to the crime due to him knowing the location of the car. There is no physical evidence linking Adnan.

Virtually the only details of Jay's story that have remained consistent are those that you mentioned. I don't even know how to respond to your statement. Jay says that Adnam killed Hae. He also has said a lot of other things. A lot of those other things have been proven factually incorrect. And he has contradicted himself regarding those other things. How does this create a context wherein we should blindly believe him regarding Adnan being responsibility for Hae's death?

turtle553

This was the most disappointing aspect to me. People have a Constitutional right not to testify in their own criminal case, and it is used against them despite instruction to the jury not to do so. I understand the human need to hear from the defendant, but it is just unfortunate that that need trumps the Constitution.

It seems like this case, and ones like it without a ton of physical evidence that it is more important to hear from the defendant. He absolutely has the right not to testify, but there is nothing to counteract what Jay says. No other evidence presented to contradict Jay saying Adnan showed him the body and asked for help burying it.

According to the prosecutor's interview it sounds like Jay's story with locations lined up to the cell records (whatever they are worth) before knowing what the records showed. People are putting too much faith in making decisions based on a 10 hour podcast versus jurors that listened to all the evidence for like two weeks.

Edit:
You're being kind of obtuse here.

Jay is definitely connected to the crime due to him knowing the location of the car. There is no physical evidence linking Adnan.

Virtually the only details of Jay's story that have remained consistent are those that you mentioned. I don't even know how to respond to your statement. Jay says that Adnam killed Hae. He also has said a lot of other things. A lot of those other things have been proven factually incorrect. And he has contradicted himself regarding those other things. How does this create a context wherein we should blindly believe him regarding Adnan being responsibility for Hae's death?

Jay specifically says he doesn't know that Adnan killed Hae, just that he had her body. If five days of cross examination couldn't dissuade the Jury from believing Jay with the multiple discrepancies, I don't know what more you can expect from a trial in a case like this.

It just seems people here either think that this case was decided on skimpier evidence than a lot of trials (it wasn't) or have an unreasonable expectation of reasonable doubt (an inherent flaw in the legal system). We have trials where people are convicted without a body. While I don't think SK was being intentionally manipulative, I think she didn't paint an accurate picture of everything.

Korey

They're investigating while recording the podcast. So... say in episode 3, they follow a lead which will be resolved...maybe in episode 7?! At the time of ep 3, they don't know that yet, because... real life and shit.

So how do they know it'll be resolved by the end of the season?

So they may or may not solve the mystery? I don't really get the premise. They pick a random unsolved mystery and investigate it and expect to resolve it?

gohepcat

Banned
So how do they know it'll be resolved by the end of the season?

So they may or may not solve the mystery? I don't really get the premise. They pick a random unsolved mystery and investigate it and expect to resolve it?

Wait what?

The premise is that it's an interesting story. Ambiguous things can be more interesting than formulaic story arcs. I actually applaud them for going into it blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom