• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Werent they also supposed to port Risky's Revenge to Steam?

What happened to that? Was it cancelled due to this game?

There were waiting for it to be greenlit, and it finally was about a week ago.

Though it's good to hear they will be porting it there after the campaign is over. Much rather get it on Steam than the eshop.

(And hopefully they'll port the 3rd coming out to Steam as well)

25BGhs7.jpg

This is still my favorite look for Shantae. I wonder if I can talk to Wayforward about a version like this for the 3DS.

wrowa

25BGhs7.jpg

This is still my favorite look for Shantae. I wonder if I can talk to Wayforward about a version like this for the 3DS.

Yep, that's glorious.

I'm sadly not a fan of the HD look, I wish it was at least completely 2D like A Boy and His Blob but instead it's this awkward 2D/3D mix I already disliked in Ducktales.

Yep, that's glorious.

I'm sadly not a fan of the HD look, I wish it was at least completely 2D like A Boy and His Blob but instead it's this awkward 2D/3D mix I already disliked in Ducktales.

doing everything in 1080p sprites would take a ton of time and money to accomplish.

Azih

So what's the deal with the skin bleach?

Edit: Ah they answered it on the comments section. Kickstarter feedback for the win. She's half genie, not half ghost.

Mzo

If she isn't significantly browner in the concept art by the day before the Kicktarter ends, I'm pulling out.

How does everyone else feel about the new anime/chibi Mighty Switch Force style art?

I can't help to notice that Shantae looks different from the cut scene portraits in Risky's Revenge, and I'm not talking about just the skin color.

In Risky's Revenge and her character design, she looks taller, thinner, and more realistically proportioned as far as cartoons go. This new game, she looks chibi like the Etrian Odyssey games.

Anyone notice that and do you like it?

Psxphile

How does everyone else feel about the new anime/chibi Mighty Switch Force style art?

I can't help to notice that Shantae looks different from the cut scene portraits in Risky's Revenge, and I'm not talking about just the skin color.

In Risky's Revenge and her character design, she looks taller, thinner, and more realistically proportioned as far as cartoons go. This new game, she looks chibi like the Etrian Odyssey games.

Anyone notice that and do you like it?

They're just different interpretations of the same character design by different artists. I think someone in this thread mentioned that just about every game had a different person providing general designs and artwork.

Though yeah, it does seem like WayForward is trying to appeal to a certain audience. Shantae gets more anime-ified and cuter with every title. If I had the time and motivation I'd compile each and every iteration of her design from past to present.

2d with 3d backgrounds :/

I'm generally not a fan of this combination, but I think they did a pretty good job mixing the two styles together in the video. It would be nice to see purely hand drawn backgrounds, but this is probably more practical in the long run. Plus, since this is clearly the same game engine as Duck Tales, they already have it running on multiple platforms anyway.

The animation looks like a blend between bone based and "cell" based. It looks a little stiffer than something like Boy and his Blob.

Watching that montage of all the games they worked on makes me wish they could do another Contra game...

Five

Banned
Something I'd like to see, just as an option, is either a slider for the 3D or a toggle for orthogonal view projection. Unless some of the obstacles rely on a good understanding of their depth, this doesn't seem like it should be a problem to implement.

Village

They're just different interpretations of the same character design by different artists. I think someone in this thread mentioned that just about every game had a different person providing general designs and artwork.

Though yeah, it does seem like WayForward is trying to appeal to a certain audience. Shantae gets more anime-ified and cuter with every title. If I had the time and motivation I'd compile each and every iteration of her design from past to present.

Waifu slider is what that would look like.

OmegaX

If she isn't significantly browner in the concept art by the day before the Kicktarter ends, I'm pulling out.
I'm thinking of doing this too. The Revolution and Red Thread Games guys quickly updated the look of their characters based on backer input during the Kickstarter. There is no reason why WayForward can't do a simple color swap in a day or two.

It's too bad they launched this so close to Mighty No. 9. I think the initial response would of been much higher had it started first.

Yeah. It kinda ends up overshadowed by Mighty No. 9 now. They were unlucky with Inafune starting up his kickstarter when he did.

Will back when they change the skin color back. I don't care how petty it seems, we don't have enough dark-skinned chracters as it is and they want to steathily make her white? I mean, why would she be white in the concept art too if it was just a simple color mistake? bleh

TheOGB

Banned
If I had the time and motivation I'd compile each and every iteration of her design from past to present.
I have time and nothing to do. And I kinda already did it earlier, so what the hell :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shantae (GBC):
tumblr_inline_mkckgm6g9h1qz4rgp.gif

Shantae: Risky's Revenge (DSiWare/iOS/PC after this fundraiser):
D5qwy.gif

Shantae (3DS Virtual Console):

And now, Half-Genie Hero:
gif_200x147_2229eeo1x2z.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So... yeah, it really is a different artist/style every time, even for the same game. She's just MUCH lighter than she's ever been in HGH.

bon

Aside from the vampire skin I like this cute new design. Much better than Pirate's Curse where she has visible underboob.

zhorkat

The best part is that they spent so much time on the super pale Shantae that the new stretch goal art still uses that version instead of their new (relatively) darker version.

catabarez

I expected her to be a little lighter considering the other characters' skin tone is also lighter. The current color is about what I expected.

Her original design.

Definitely different.

shantae_main.png

Maybe the original design didn't translate well for the HD version during gameplay and animation.

I prefer the original design but still looking forward to anything WayForward does.

Ivan 3414

If they want a lighter Shantae, I'd respect them more if they came out and gave their reasoning outright, no matter how full of bullshit it might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom