• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

I don't know what you guys are talking about with these subtitles. It's obvious that the subtitle should be "Don't call it Poop Toot"

CazTGG

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Don't Call Kickstarter a P.O.O.P. T.O.O.T!

I'm enjoying the game thus far, albeit it definitely feels like a step down from Pirate's Curse. The way each area is broken down into a level feels, while cutting down on the time spent backtracking to old locales for new items and powerups, comes across as far less organic than the interconnected world of previous Shantae games.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
My Shadowplay captures for this game are showing up in a folder called "Russian Roulette 2". Wonder where that came from?

Psxphile

Just want to throw my hat into the ring.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Hero Genie III: The Pirate's Trap

I've already completed the backer build so I'm going to wait until the DLCs are out before playing the final build.

Opa-Pa

I completed the Desert level and made completed the quest to open the next stage. Man that OG Shantae remix for the latter part of the desert was top notch! I haven't been too impressed by the music so far, but I have there's more like that (not remixes, just super quality stuff). Also I loved how it had harpies and all just like in the classic.

As I said, I really don't like the level structure, but I have to say I'm really pleased with the difficulty. This is the first ever decently challenging Shantae game for me, and it's so refreshing. I think the only part I've ever considered hard in the series was the last stage in Pirate's Curse and that wasn't too tough either.

Aeana

How does this game compare to Shantae and the pirates curse? Or is it too early to ask.

I didn't like it as much, but I still had a good time with it. I'm generally very pleased with the game, and it's probably their best iteration of Shantae-with-genie-powers.

jimboton

Did you speak with the mayor for the last relic?

Works for me at 144hz. Dancing at hihg was a bit wonked though.

It does work, but it's stuttery and less smooth at 144 Hz instead of more, at least on my end.

Certainly an improvement over Pirate's Curse, which runs at 2.4x speed at 144 Hz ..

Tohsaka

I'm probably going to feel stupid for asking, but I have no idea what to do against the last boss.
I was just running around dodging the gears and vertical laser beam, trying to bounce the gears back or something but nothing seemed to work. It raised those tubes underneath it twice in like ten minutes, but it didn't seem related to anything I was doing against it. I ended up just turning it off since I wasn't really getting hurt or anything but I couldn't kill it, either.

Skeletos311

I'm probably going to feel stupid for asking, but I have no idea what to do against the last boss.
I was just running around dodging the gears and vertical laser beam, trying to bounce the gears back or something but nothing seemed to work. It raised those tubes underneath it twice in like ten minutes, but it didn't seem related to anything I was doing against it. I ended up just turning it off since I wasn't really getting hurt or anything but I couldn't kill it, either.

You just dodge stuff until he throws a cannonball and you hit it and make it go in a cannon.

Lain

Took me a few minutes to understand what I was supposed to do.
You keep running in a direction until the tubes come up and then you hit them. Hit them all to remove the bolt from the boss head. Do it again in the other direction to get to the next stage.

So close to finishing the game. Just got to find the last Sunken Soul.

I should be able to finally start working on the OT later today. I was gone the whole weekend but at least I got pretty far on the game before I had to leave.

Tohsaka

You just dodge stuff until he throws a cannonball and you hit it and make it go in a cannon.

Took me a few minutes to understand what I was supposed to do.
You keep running in a direction until the tubes come up and then you hit them. Hit them all to remove the bolt from the boss head. Do it again in the other direction to get to the next stage.

Alright, thanks. I guess I just wasn't waiting long enough or something, probably shouldn't have attempted it while I was tired.

Jeffrey

Man I forget how punishing these games are for something that's quite light hearted.

enemies hit hard, and hearts are pretty dang rare, and only fill +1, where enemies are hitting +2 damage already in lvl 2.

Wonko_C

Man I forget how punishing these games are for something that's quite light hearted.

enemies hit hard, and hearts are pretty dang rare, and only fill +1, where enemies are hitting +2 damage already in lvl 2.

Stock up on restoratives! I felt it was way too easy, though (Like all the Shantae games except for the very first one). I'll do a no-heart containers run in the release build, there probably will be an achievement for it too like in Risky's Revenge. :)

Jeffrey

Stock up on restoratives! I felt it was way too easy, though (Like all the Shantae games except for the very first one). I'll do a no-heart containers run in the release build, there probably will be an achievement for it too like in Risky's Revenge. :)

well i recall having difficulty issues in pirates when I beat that. Hope this game doesn't get that rough. Them platforming challenges in the palace at the end where frustrating.

I'm not the best platformer gamer though, and I feel like my reflexes are getting worse with age lol.

I should stock up on restoratives though, but ive been hording money. Not sure what to prioritize in buying.

Grisby

I'm wiggling my butt in anticipation of this game.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that Shantae should be in more things.
I didn't like it as much, but I still had a good time with it. I'm generally very pleased with the game, and it's probably their best iteration of Shantae-with-genie-powers.
How's the music?

Anybody know where the last art gallery key is in Tassel Town? I've explored the areas top to bottom, did all the underwater stuff and broke every snake head statue in the tower multiple times and I still can't find it. It's the last thing I need and its starting to bug me.

Pehesse

Anybody know where the last art gallery key is in Tassel Town? I've explored the areas top to bottom, did all the underwater stuff and broke every snake head statue in the tower multiple times and I still can't find it. It's the last thing I need and its starting to bug me.

Is it the one near the top of the tower, requiring you to push a block down a few levels to elephant bash a secret passage at th bottom left of the big vertical pit? It leads to a mouse puzzle-ish where you have to push blocks to connect a path, then get the key.

Anyway, finished it! Credits are rolling right now (vita ver.). Ran into a few issues where respawning would actually spawn me in geometry and warp me around - thankfully, the game saves often enough.

I actually liked the linear level structure, and something about the presentation/rhythm reminded me of Megaman Powered Up, which is high praise for me!

Final time: 5:51:25, 100%! Looking forward to the bonus modes now!

Is it the one near the top of the tower, requiring you to push a block down a few levels to elephant bash a secret passage at th bottom left of the big vertical pit? It leads to a mouse puzzle-ish where you have to push blocks to connect a path, then get the key.
That doesn't sound familiar at all, so that's probably it. Thanks!

Finally finished the game! I was at 8:20 but I kinda fell asleep for a couple of hours haha. I thought it was awesome. Loved it. Can't wait for the DLC AND extras to hit soon. By the way how are people uploading their pictures? Through Facebook?

Only nitpick so far is that my name wasn't on the credits haha. Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

TDLink

Just downloaded this. I didn't see any codes for the backer exclusive costumes and stuff though. Anyone know what is up with those?

Just finished my play through. just shy of 7 hours and got 100% completion.

Enjoyed it.

I'll echo Aeana and say that this game was really good. probably the second best of the series, but Pirate's Curse is better.

Highly recommend it though. Look forward to the later extras.

Psxphile

What are those trading abilities options in the snake lady store? The wording is weird.

Optional dances. You can buy 3 dances from her that do things like refill your health in exchange for magic, damage all enemies on-screen at once or to warp to new areas. You can then take those dances and trade them individually for those other three... one of which no one seems to know the use of (blobfish).

Good game. Does any one know where the next to last item on cape crustacean is. Only thing I'm missing. It looks like there is a chest in the first ship after the carpet ride.

system11

It's disappointing to see all the slowdown in the PS4 version. Interestingly Mermaid Falls the first time I went through it had none, when you revisit it, it's nearly constant. I've got a saved game in each state and it's 100% reproduceable.

Don't make a "2d" platformer be the reason I had to upgrade to a Pro, that would be so sad.

Tohsaka

It's disappointing to see all the slowdown in the PS4 version. Interestingly Mermaid Falls the first time I went through it had none, when you revisit it, it's nearly constant. I've got a saved game in each state and it's 100% reproduceable.

Don't make a "2d" platformer be the reason I had to upgrade to a Pro, that would be so sad.

The slowdown happens on Pro, too.

Emitan

Well I guess I know whether to get it on PC or Steam now

The lag isn't bad. There are certain places where it happens for sure though it's not terrible.

EDIT: Actually, I never had a problem with going back to stages. They seem fine to me.

Psxphile

The game introduces fog (and new enemies most of the time) into the backgrounds after completing stages on return trips. That is most likely what's causing the choppiness, though I couldn't tell you why.

system11

The game introduces fog (and new enemies most of the time) into the backgrounds after completing stages on return trips. That is most likely what's causing the choppiness, though I couldn't tell you why.

Visions of a horrifying scenario where enemies are being rendered regardless of whether they're on screen or not. That would seem to be the main difference.

Also thanks to Tohsaka for saving me money.

Boogiepop

Just got a WiiU code. Have people checked this version out thoroughly to see if it works okay yet? Just want to make sure before downloading it that this isn't some sort of Mighty No. 9 style situation where the WiiU version is unplayable garbage or something.

OmegaX

I got my Wii U code too. WayForward has more experience developing for Nintendo consoles so I hope it plays fine on the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom