• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

So uuh, what do I do with the lollipop? Everyone insists that there's someone hidden/needing my help at the desert tower, but I obviously already helped that archeologist guy, unless I'm missing someone else.

So uuh, what do I do with the lollipop? Everyone insists that there's someone hidden/needing my help at the desert tower, but I obviously already helped that archeologist guy, unless I'm missing someone else.

The lollipop is given to the wizard behind the waterfall. To get to him you need the upgrade that allows you to travel up/down waterfalls.

Amani

Got my code! Now I'm all like

tumblr_lhnnhwj2Lk1qdlkgg.gif

Opa-Pa

The lollipop is given to the wizard behind the waterfall. To get to him you need the upgrade that allows you to travel up/down waterfalls.

Thank you that was it.

---

So far I was pretty bummed that the best Shantae character, S
quid
B
aron
wasn't anywhere in the game, but now I made it to the end of the 5th stage and as soon as
the monster started being summoned
, it hit me, lmao I love this series.

Is there ever going to be an OT
Everyone will be done with the game
I was working on it but Finals brought it's ugly head so I wasn't able to work on it today or yesterday. I'm really sorry!

But if anyone thinks I'm taking too long then by all means let me know if they want to take over! I feel bad making people wait.

DenisQc

just got my backerkit wii u code (Canada)
yay

went to second boss without any problem / glitches
seems to be 60fps (my tv is 720p so I cannot say if it is 1080p), and seems locked , did no see any slowdowns
controls are perfect

so far technically no fault found

and my 4 years old girl loves it :)

Eusis

Oh this game is out now? Why we still using the Kickstarter thread?
It's in a weird limbo where the game's not out to buy, but it IS available to all of us who backed the Kickstarter.

I think this is also one of the reasons an OT is long in coming, unlike most other Kickstarters were usually you couldn't play until the game hit wider release, or you could but it'd be alpha/beta or just a day difference, not a week +.

Skeletos311

Quick and dirty OT if you want to use it, Aeana. I can't make threads.

bannerqjkbd.jpg

Info
Release date - Out now for KS backers | digital (all) - Dec 20, 2016 | Retail - Dec 20, 2016 for all except Wii U | Wii U retail - Dec 27, 2016
Price - Digital - $20, Retail - $30
Genre - Action Platformer
Platforms - Wii U, Vita, PS4, PC, Xbox One

Risky Beats Edition

81066stjbl._ac_sl1500tmjsz.jpg

Screenshots

notfinalh8kbv.jpg

Amani

Really digging the tunes so far. Wii U version seems to run just fine at 60 FPS, finished the second stage and no dips yet.

TP

If you wait too long the OT might not even make it past one page

RR OT was 3 pages
Both PC OT threads were 2 pages and the Steam port didn't get a thread

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of discussion came from backers, the players that are most interested in the game.

RK128

people here have beaten the vita version so I assume it runs fine?

wonder if its capped at 30fps.

I would think it runs at a capped 30FPS; remember interviews discussing animation challenges making the game run on Vita. I will hopefully be reviewing the game once press copies are sent out, so if I get a review copy, will share impressions of the Vita version once I spend some time with the game.

But the most likely cases is that it runs at a locked 30FPS at native resolution or steady 30FPS with some minor drops at a few points.

It brings me an enormous amount of joy that the fan-art section has so much art from kids and young children. Nice to see how much they love the characters.

Opa-Pa

I'm playing on Vita and I'm pretty sure it actually targets 60FPS but only rarely manages them consistently. Like for example it definitely runs at 60 when you're in Scuttle Town, and in some less open maps within stages it works too, but most of the time it's probably in the 50s because of the large areas and the constant action.

Still pretty impressive and definitely still enjoyable IMO. I was convinced it was going to be 30fps with dips.

RK128

I'm playing on Vita and I'm pretty sure it actually targets 60FPS but only rarely manages them consistently. Like for example it definitely runs at 60 when you're in Scuttle Town, and in some less open maps within stages it works too, but most of the time it's probably in the 50s because of the large areas and the constant action.

Still pretty impressive and definitely still enjoyable IMO. I was convinced it was going to be 30fps with dips.

That is very impressive. WayForward has experience working on Vita (helped Little Orbit with a Adventure Time game on the system) but this is their first major production on the Vita. Great news and it shows how much they care about the system.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That is very impressive. WayForward has experience working on Vita (helped Little Orbit with a Adventure Time game on the system) but this is their first major production on the Vita. Great news and it shows how much they care about the system.

Uh...
veA72KI.jpg

RK128

Ah, repressed memories, how you work with wonders.....

To be serious though, it is hard to consider that a WayForward game; it is nothing like their past work. It is a fine game for what it is and I do own that (enjoyed what I played of it; one of my earliest Vita purchases).

Sorry for forgetting about it though :(.

Blackage

If Mighty No 9 is the game that made me want to drop supporting any kickstarter project ever again, Shantae is the game that has renewed my faith in the concept.....(Ok yes and Shovel Knight too).

This game is so goddamn good.

Eusis

If Mighty No 9 is the game that made me want to drop supporting any kickstarter project ever again, Shantae is the game that has renewed my faith in the concept.....(Ok yes and Shovel Knight too).

This game is so goddamn good.
Given their close timing isn't this kind of like the Simpsons gif of the guy jumping out the window then back in through it?

Vlaphor

Ok, just beat the game on PC. Took about 6 hours and got 100%. Some thoughts on it.

This was, by far, the easiest game I've ever played. Not only was I never in danger of dying even once, but the game is so easily breakable by it's own design that the last few boss fights might have well as been suggestions. Health items are plentiful, money is everywhere, you get an item early on that reduces damage by 1/2...the game made itself too easy. That's just the early game stuff, when you get to the later areas, it can get incredibly broken. A spell that heals you, plus a spell that does massive damage to everything around you, plus a barrier spell that blocks all attacks from reaching you, plus an item that negates all magic costs means that once you reach a certain point in the game, you'll never be in any danger whatsoever.

Also, something about the game made it seem that the playtesting was somewhat off. There are sections in the game with tricky platforming that can be completely avoided with transformations that you'll already have at that point, there are items and abilities that have one use...or less. For example, you can get an ability that lets you see in the dark...of which there is one area in the game. You can find a spider form that you'll use twice, and get an attack for that form that you'll never need to use at all. The mouse form has an optional attack which you might use once/twice if you want to, but you'll never need to, since the enemies that you could possibly hit with the attack do the smallest amount of damage possible and you can just walk right through them with the invincibility frames. It honestly feels like this game was shipped incomplete, and I guess the use of a new engine might have put a strain on them, but this game felt like it needed another few months of content development and playtesting before it would feel like an actual, full, game.

On the plus side, the game felt responsive and fast, and I absolutely loved the art and music, plus most of the writing was good, though the actual story itself felt like the direct to dvd sequel a theatrical movie might get. The kind where the movie tells a complete story and then a sequel is released direct to home with some further adventures of these characters that weren't important enough to make it to the actual movie, but that some kids might buy because they want to see more of the characters they liked. The story is like that, a cute and fun visitation of old characters, but ultimately, it's fluff.

I backed this game three years ago at $15, and I do feel fine with I got for the money spent, plus it seems like they'll be adding some more content down the line, but what was shipped out to backers and what will be for sale on the 20th just feels kind of hollow, IMO. Just a few thoughts I wanted to share.

CazTGG

I don't see why you made your post without an image. No, Wayforward has never worked on the Vita aside from the Adventure Time games...Nothing else.

Anyway, the Vita version certainly feels smooth at 60fps and i've yet to experience any significant performance drops so if playing Shantae on anything but a handheld is sacrilege to you, it's an excellent version of the game.

Aeana

I'm not going to disagree about the game being easy, but I don't think it's any easier than the other games in the series. It's just not a difficult series at all.

Vlaphor

I'm not going to disagree about the game being easy, but I don't think it's any easier than the other games in the series. It's just not a difficult series at all.

There was literally never a single challenging area in the game. Other games in the series weren't difficult, but there were still some parts of them that required skill, either in platforming or combat. Not in this one.

@MUWANdo

Banned

That was fine when it was an action/adventure game but if they're going to make the games more linear/segmented then they need to adjust the level of challenge to match the format. They're not making licensed movie games anymore, they needn't be afraid to bite a little.

Opa-Pa

Aye, I'd say it's slightly harder than 2 and 3... Until you get 2+ heart containers and difficulty is basically just spikes or bottomless pits, but nothing else. I mean I fought the 5th boss today and it was basically damage sponge vs damage sponge except I'm the sponge who ate a steak mid battle so I won.

I mean I wasn't expecting a hard game at all sincr the only difficult one was the original due to traversal being a pain, but when I found out this was stage-based I expected a little more challenge.

Oh well, still not done with it.

JackelZXA

Yeah I just played all 4 games this month and they get easy as pie if you don't limit yourself. You tank harder than SotN Alucard in these games! (And it's still fun and satisfying to blast through bosses and levels!) The overworld in 1 is some of the only really difficult stuff, but you can circumvent that somewhat if you know what you're doing with the warp system...

Shantae games get easy with items. Spells massively increase your abilities, too. They're all basically easy if you use everything at your disposal. The combat attacks and all the candies and shit from the first game were really overpowered, in 2 you had potions and the high level spells, in 3 you had muscle milk and auto potions...4 isn't all that much easier than the others. The potions in THIS game are the most overpowered items until you get the item you get for depositing all 10 keys. I assume if you don't buy alot of potions and dont get THAT item the game's difficulty is much more even and challenging.

I just did replays of the other 3 games (first time doing 3, tbh) after beating the EA build and I absolutely loved them. It's really interesting to see the way they call back to games like this. I never played them in order. The way 3 calls back to 1 so much is really worth having that franchise knowledge.

As long as you don't waste warp squids in scuttle town you have a much easier time mainlining the first game. (I reccomend depositing warp squids in this order:
1st: Water Town (Battle Skills, nearby areas frustrating to navigate)
2nd: Zombie Caravan (most useful shop, kind of random fast travel)
3rd: Oasis Town (Close to Scuttle Town, get money)
4th: Bandit Town (If you're an ADVANCED Genie)
5th: Scuttle Town (least useful, no point)

But yeah like...really great series. I absolutely love them. I kind of wonder what Risky's Revenge could have been if the episodic thing panned out, or if we got the gba game...with HGH I really love the game but i do spot where the two other stages could have slotted in (Shantae says she needs a bath after a later on stage, and in the third game there's that bath trap that risky mentions again at the end, that probably would have been a good lead in to one of those other 2 risky focused stages from the kickstarter that didn't get funded...)

Game's great though. I hope it gets the attention it deserves and big letsplayers at least do a look at the game. (Game Grumps, Super Best Friends, ect) Can't wait for the DLC's and to see if they get on a 5th game sooner than usual! (The extra characters and outfit gameplay styles all sound really interesting.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom