• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3. E3. Fund now or leave gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dits

Believe

YuSuzuki-Cerny-GDC2012-480.jpg

cireza

Maybe that Yu Suzuki is at E3 and simply pictured a fenwick because it reminded him of Shenmue.

If that's the case, this would be so cruel lol.

I'm going to guess that most people begging for Shenmue 3 never played a game in the series.

An HD Collection is a MUST for such an old and expensive franchise.

EDIT: lol the post above.

eso76

Keeping a champagne bottle nearby as I watch MS and Sony conferences, just in case.

Damn, Sony conference starts at 3.00 AM here. Well, sucks for the neighbors, I guess.

Synless

just imagine, in a e3 conference some dude says that he has a very special trailer to show us, the video starts playing we see some gorgeous chinese landscape, and then shenmue theme starts playing, everyone goes crazy.

Anyway even if something shenmue related is happening, best case scenario is that it'll be a remaster
So the FF7 approach?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
but gameplay wise, doesn't yakuza do the same thing and a lot more?
(rightfully so considering the release time difference and platforms)
No even the combat is very different between the games. Fighting in Shenmue is pretty rare, ya don't wander around town constantly getting into battles. And the moves are "realistic" instead of over the top flashy and the way ya input them is closer to a fighting game than a beat 'em up like Yakuza!

ShadowOwl

Oh boi.

Well, I guess we'll see a HD remaster being announced, no way there will be Shemue 3.

Seriously, is there any chance?

Lazaro

So thats why Microsoft moved QB and Scaledown to Gamescom. Must have just signed the deal.

Everything so far points to PS4. Unless it's multiplat and SONY getting a deal of some sort.

I've known Phil Spencer to only mention Shenmue once so unless he's hiding something...

But umm judging by Yu's Twitter Avatar.
#teamwiiu

Bio-Frost

I can't handle this, I was 12 when shenmue 2 came out in America. I'm 25 now, I NEED this announcement to be true, I can't take this back and forth anymore.

what makes shenmue different from a yakuza game? sorry last time i even touched shenmue i was like 13.

All dialogue in Shenmue is voiced, in Yakuza spoken dialogue is saved for cutscenes.

Yakuza protagonists fight with weapons as well as their fists, Ryo never uses weapons.

Yakuza's story is much darker, characters get killed off and maimed in seriously brutal ways, in Shenmue characters rarely die, worst is usually an ass kicking.

Shenmue's world operates on a full day and night cycle, businesses adhere to opening/closing times, weather is fully simulated. In Yakuza time of day and weather is fixed.

Yoda

From some comments in this thread, it actually sounds like a sequel would actually be more feasible than a remaster.

The remainder of the story can't be crammed into one game. Starting @ square one is really the only option.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
No, the games look similar on the surface level but they have very different focuses.
All dialogue in Shenmue is voiced, in Yakuza spoken dialogue is saved for cutscenes.

Yakuza protagonists fight with weapons as well as their fists, Ryo never uses weapons.

Yakuza's story is much darker, characters get killed off and maimed in seriously brutal ways, in Shenmue characters rarely die, worst is usually an ass kicking.

Shenmue's world operates on a full day and night cycle, businesses adhere to opening/closing times, weather is fully simulated. In Yakuza time of day and weather is fixed.

I see, thanks. That was the answer I was looking for.

DJIzana

A sequel that would do the series justice doesn't seem to be within Sega's capabilities right now.

From a quality perspective or financial perspective? Financially, I agree. Quality wise... think you need to tread back and play some of the later Yakuza games, bruh.

Rodin

So he posts that with a Mii avatar, after we heard that Nintendo is going to announce new big partnerships at E3. Guess we finally know what Retro Studios is up to.

He has been using that avatar for his twitter for ages though.

He was always teasing this moment.

:p
It's probably going to be nothing, but if it happens, it's probably a remake/remaster of 1-2 for Xbox One, seeing how Xbox already had Shenmue 2 back in the days and how Microsoft needs to gain points in the eyes of the public. They also can afford the investment without blinking an eye, even for 3 eventually. Or Sony, thinking about that Cerny-Suzuki picture, but i think MS is more likely. That being said, i still think nothing will happen.

vypek

Haven't played Shenmue but I'm interested in the series. However, I'm fully expecting this to just be that he saw a forklift and thought of his game and tweeted a picture of it and there are no plans for the IP at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom