• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance |OT| Join Qadištu familyyyyy and together, we will ”bang” the very gods!

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

Pejo

Bruh, what's with this game and them horny demon interactions? :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GQNdtUAWUAATlKH
Really makes you ponder and wish they'd move on from high school settings for all of the SMT/Persona games. I didn't play SMTIV, but I think maybe(?) that one wasn't high school. I remember seeing a grown man with a ponytail. Not sure why they had to go back to it.

I like the design of Aogami a lot, shame we can't just be him instead of metrosexual nahobino. Despite this game's success, I doubt it does a lot to bring in a bunch of zoomers and younger demographics, but what do I know, I guess. At least it's an incredibly solid game so far, and I love the various dangers of the "overworld" this time around, despite eating shit to them a few times already.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bruh, what's with this game and them horny demon interactions? :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GQNdtUAWUAATlKH
They know their audience. Which is me. :lollipop_content:

Really makes you ponder and wish they'd move on from high school settings for all of the SMT/Persona games. I didn't play SMTIV, but I think maybe(?) that one wasn't high school. I remember seeing a grown man with a ponytail. Not sure why they had to go back to it.

I like the design of Aogami a lot, shame we can't just be him instead of metrosexual nahobino. Despite this game's success, I doubt it does a lot to bring in a bunch of zoomers and younger demographics, but what do I know, I guess. At least it's an incredibly solid game so far, and I love the various dangers of the "overworld" this time around, despite eating shit to them a few times already.
IIRC the main cast are all 18 years old. I don't mind the high school setting, but still wish that for SMT VI they go back to the cyberpunk aesthetics of II and IV and give us a more mature cast of characters.

Pejo

IIRC the main cast are all 18 years old. I don't mind the high school setting, but still wish that for SMT VI they go back to the cyberpunk aesthetics of II and IV and give us a more mature cast of characters.
For me it's not even the age thing, it's the setting being so damn played out at this point. Just like Isekai anime - why do we need the "died in my home world" part of the equation, why can't it just be about characters that live in that fantasy world natively. Probably just me screaming into the void, but I think this would have been more interesting as a dead/dying warrior that gets "called up" instead of "I'm just a HS kid that got sucked into this world what will I do oh nooooo!" The MC (at least where I am in the story) has basically no character of his own anyways, so I don't see why the High School part was even relevant.

Anyways, I don't want to complain too much, I really like the game, just my musings I guess.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me it's not even the age thing, it's the setting being so damn played out at this point. Just like Isekai anime - why do we need the "died in my home world" part of the equation, why can't it just be about characters that live in that fantasy world natively. Probably just me screaming into the void, but I think this would have been more interesting as a dead/dying warrior that gets "called up" instead of "I'm just a HS kid that got sucked into this world what will I do oh nooooo!" The MC (at least where I am in the story) has basically no character of his own anyways, so I don't see why the High School part was even relevant.

Anyways, I don't want to complain too much, I really like the game, just my musings I guess.
The HS part gets a bit more fleshed out and explained later on. I thought it was kinda cool and different from other SMT games.

Not a big spoiler (still kinda spoiler tho) but you might be happy to read this: This is not an isekai.

Last edited:
They know their audience. Which is me. :lollipop_content:

Hey, I really don't mind this type of fan service. :p I was just not expecting it since I'm kinda new to mainline SMT. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Agreed. Probably their best visual design (and in general best graphics) after P3Reload. The only thing missing here is a really flashy UI that Atlus have started incorporating to their new releases.
Mainline SMT because of the its tone it has less flashy UI compare to Atlus other games.

Bojji

Gold Member
Agreed. Probably their best visual design (and in general best graphics) after P3Reload. The only thing missing here is a really flashy UI that Atlus have started incorporating to their new releases.

UI also looks low res. I like the game so far, I think I prefer persona style to this but there are advantages to more standard jrpg style with gameplay as the main focus (instead of relationships).

Art is great, especially female models, hahaha.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I want Turbo Granny to be in my party!

edit; Yay I can fuze her!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Was the Return Pillar always there, or has it been added for this re-release?

it is such a nice, useful little piece of QoL.

TintoConCasera

Was the Return Pillar always there, or has it been added for this re-release?

it is such a nice, useful little piece of QoL.
I don't think it existed back then but might be wrong.

That thing saved my ass a few times already :d
It was already there in the vanilla game.

And yeah, it sure is helpful! No need to worry about not having enough MP for a safe return back to the leyline.

TintoConCasera

Just finished the first zone
One of my favorite music tracks is the one you get when exploring the first segment of the second area.

The music of this game is just so good, and am I glad to know that the next mainline games are safe even without Meguro doing the music for them.

adamsapple

How to I "use" these fiery red columns in the Chiyoda region?

The one's which say "There's some sort of device" when you check them.

Is it something I will get access to with story progression?

Last edited:

Danjin44

How to I "use" these fiery red columns in the Chiyoda region?

The one's which say "There's some sort of device" when you check them.

Is it something I will get access to with story progression?
From I can remember Decarabia will join you as Demon navigator, which make Istar boss weaker.

TintoConCasera

Holly sh**t I just arrived at the new map and it’s god damn gorgeous!
Bro wtf, I'm still at the first area. :goog_relieved:

Thought the Hydra was kinda easy, but now Nuwa kicked my ass. Just fused some new demons which should allow me to turn the tables.

adamsapple

How far are you in already lol? are you speed running it? 😳

Not speed running, trying to do side quests as well (unless they end in completely overpowered boss fights) game clock is 18~ hours. I only play one game at a time lol, utilizing the holiday today to get some good time in.

Also, is it just me or does this game *not* have auto saving?

TintoConCasera

How far are you in already lol? are you speed running it? 😳
Think he's playing on easy.

Game takes much, much longer to beat on the higher difficulties, since most of the game is battles and those take more time to beat due to the bigger enemy HP pools.

Hell, I'm 18 or hours in and still at the first area. :goog_pensive:

Not speed running, trying to do side quests as well (unless they end in completely overpowered boss fights) game clock is 18~ hours. I only play one game at a time lol, utilizing the holiday today to get some good time in.

Also, is it just me or does this game *not* have auto saving?
Oh alright. I'm playing on normal and my save is sitting at around ~25h and I haven't reached the zone you've showed in one of your screenshots yet (e.g. Kanda), although for the past 10h or so I haven't done much progress in the main storyline and instead I've focued on sidequests and also did fusion a bunch to get some of the demons that caught my eye.
Think he's playing on easy.

Game takes much, much longer to beat on the higher difficulties, since most of the game is battles and those take more time to beat due to the bigger enemy HP pools.

Hell, I'm 18 or hours in and still at the first area. :goog_pensive:
Ah, oki, now that makes sense. I'm playing on normal and it's also the first time I'm playing through SMT5. Was just worried I was doing something wrong lol when I saw adamsapple adamsapple progressing so fast even though he got his copy of the game just earlier this week.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

To me press turn combat is super fun in hard difficulty…I love it!
For me, it's the best turn-based battle system, no doubt.

It's challenging, mostly fair (fuck marin-karin from here to Mars lol) and rewards a good understanding of the game's mechanics plus your team composition.

Really, can't think of a better one!

Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Vinyl Soundtrack
Love the music on that game, but man, what they did to the sound quality of the battle tracks is a crime.

They are compressed to hell and back, and I think they never released the full battle tracks (each one has 8 different guitar solos, depending on the moon/kagutsuchi phase) with good quality, since IIRC the official OST only comes with one solo.

Shit sucks. :lollipop_crying:

Love the music on that game, but man, what they did to the sound quality of the battle tracks is a crime.

They are compressed to hell and back, and I think they never released the full battle tracks (each one has 8 different guitar solos, depending on the moon/kagutsuchi phase) with good quality, since IIRC the official OST only comes with one solo.

Shit sucks. :lollipop_crying:
Welp, I didn't know that. :lollipop_pensive:

Danjin44

For me, it's the best turn-based battle system, no doubt.

It's challenging, mostly fair (fuck marin-karin from here to Mars lol) and rewards a good understanding of the game's mechanics plus your team composition.

Really, can't think of a better one!
Yup! I had to really think what demon and what ability to use with Konohaga Sakuya fight. She keeps both healing and buffing herself in every turn and if you don’t do something about it she will destroy you without you ever touching her.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

To me press turn combat is super fun in hard difficulty…I love it!
Same my friend. I played SMT3 in normal because it was considered brutally hard but in reality, except for some bosses, you can breeze through the game only using auto attack mode.

Turn based = instant hard mode for me. And SMTV does not disappoint in that regard. Soul Hackers 2 was insane for this also: gave me the impression that the game was reading my mind on some bosses.

Top Bottom