• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

liquidtmd

Banned
Oh Nibel....those screens.

I don't care what the reviews say. I don't care how many people in the OT invariably scream 'OMG it drops frames, LOL consoles'. This game...I need it.

Nibel

Oh Nibel....those screens.

I don't care what the reviews say. I don't care how many people in the OT invariably scream 'OMG it drops frames, LOL consoles'. This game...I need it.

Nothing more convincing than a masked dude with a chainsaw!

Thinking of starting this on Hard like I did with TLoU, which was the best decision. No way I would have enjoyed it on the Normal setting

x Maiku x

so, there's a voice setting - can I play the game with japanese voices? that awful voice-over in the trailers made me skeptical.

btw. do we know the button layout? hoping for a good remote play layout (aiming/shooting on L/R, non essential stuff on touchpad/screen)

The Japanese version is supposed to include both Japanese/English voice options, and also the option for English text. Not sure about the other versions, though.

i'm really curious how this plays with the reticle turned off
i mean, it can't be as impossible as it seems or they wouldn't put the option in there. i think?

i'm hoping reticle off is this game's equivalent of playing last of us with listen mode off, haha

It just occurred to me that for akumu mode it'll probably mean automatically that the crosshair is gone.

I really can't wait to check out that mode. I'm so up for the challenge....it's gonna be freaking tense! :D

antitrop

Jesus Christ, this guy was involved in all my GOTYs (except for 101, since i've never played it).

Evil Within get!
I was there day 1 for Devil May Cry 1, but GTA III was definitely my GOTY 2001. And I'm sure many would say MGS2, as well. What a year. That was my sophomore year of high school and it was a good time to be gaming.

mattp

do we have any real details about what akumu mode is?
there's a fine line that is tough to straddle for designers when it comes to these extra hard modes

antitrop

Not really. I hope people realize that this isn't too similar to how Resident Evil 4 plays and aren't going in with the wrong expectations. Presentation wise, the over the shoulder camera, the enemy hit reactions, the mostly linear environments etc are all very Resident Evil 4. However when it comes to gameplay it looks much closer to REmake. You're going to have to make every bullet count here, unlike in Resident Evil 4. Ammo is scarce and even if you manage to keep finding some the game will restrict you to a low limit anyway. You will have to think much more with how you're going to approach the enemies. This is looking like REmake with a little bit of Resident Evil 4, not the other way around.

Yes, this is pretty much how I'm feeling about the game going into it, from what little I've seen.

Apologies if this has been discussed but is it yet known what type of save system there will be? Will there be limited saves to be specific?

I haven't kept up, but does this game have iron-sights equivalent of aiming ?

Nope. You basically can't hit shit when its off.

Edit:

Apologies if this has been discussed but is it yet known what type of save system there will be? Will there be limited saves to be specific?

Not as far as I have seen. There are checkpoints and there are points where you can manually save. I don't it saves at the checkpoints though.

do we have any real details about what akumu mode is?
there's a fine line that is tough to straddle for designers when it comes to these extra hard modes

One-hit kills + almost undefeatable and very aware enemies + very scarce resources, maybe. And, of course, no HUD elements. That's what I think/hope.

Scoot2005

Banned
Just put the last bit of money down on my preorder. Paid off and ready to go. HRNNNNGGGG. Now it's time to start Alien Isolation. WOOT.

Am I the only poor soul who's gonna play this on the PS3? I really can't afford a PS4 now :'(

Same here. I feel inclined to get it for my PS3 though, she's given me so many great gaming experiences. I can't just not play TEW because a new, shinier console is out. That's not how a man treats a lady, lol.

antitrop

Nothing wrong with playing on the older systems.

Besides, playing it on the next-gen consoles gives you a convenient excuse for a replay.

When I upgrade my PC GPU, I like to go back and install some games I couldn't quite max out. Same deal.

Can't decide whether I should get it Digital or Physical. Right now it's 53 on psn and like 68 from amazon. Buy if I get digital I can't sell it if I want to.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wonder who the big cheese will be in this game.

If you mean who's the first minor antagonist, I'm lead to believe it'll be
The Sadist, he's the first enemy you encounter, and the first boss.

If you who the supposed main antagonist is, that's been Ruvik for a while.

However, maybe spoilers,
there was a mention a while ago about a monster named Shigyo, it's a colossal Jellyfish thing, and oddly it was said in its Japanese profile translation that it was Sebastian's true archnemesis. We haven't actually seen it in footage, just a picture of it. This was from a Japanese information booklet about the game.

Ah just found this guys. Following link has the options and the difficulty screenshots from the game:) For those who are curious...

http://imgur.com/a/H07Sv

I'm curious how they got the final version of the game, the difficulty menu is different than the demo and the masks and descriptions are new. Options menu looks about the same as before to me.

Might have missed it but is it possible to remove the crosshair? Looked totally out of place in the demos.

But then you can't aim.

Great! But how do you aim when the crosshair is gone? Is there are red dot like in RE4 or something?

Three options on the reticle. Show, Auto, or Hide. Show has it showing all the time, Auto has it only show when you pull out your weapon, Hide will make it never show up, and you aim by blind firing.

I hope there's a code to unlock harder modes from the start, like Vanquish.

Still wondering some things -

1. Do enemies drop ammo or is it all scavenged from the environment?
2. This might seem irrelevant, but does upgrading magazine size give you full ammo in the weapon? I love this mechanic in RE4/dead space since it has me trying to get to merchants/benches without ever reloading my big guns. I suppose in this game I'd be trying to make it to that mirror world hub, right?

1.) Yes, but its not as common as RE4/5/6, and you actually have to scour it from enemies bodies before they disintegrate, they don't just pop up you have to search the body.

2.) Yes it does, and upgrading health will fully heal you.

so, there's a voice setting - can I play the game with japanese voices? that awful voice-over in the trailers made me skeptical.

btw. do we know the button layout? hoping for a good remote play layout (aiming/shooting on L/R, non essential stuff on touchpad/screen)

Yes there is, both dubbed and subbed, and were a lot of languages in the demo. I recall English, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German, and French, but I believe there was at least one more.

WUT, I hope not the same way as RE5 or RE6?

Okay, at least the AI is not dumb then.

It's not, its for a limited section(s) as well, and not through most of the game.

If you mean who's the first minor antagonist, I'm lead to believe it'll be
The Sadist, he's the first enemy you encounter, and the first boss.

If you who the supposed main antagonist is, that's been Ruvik for a while.

However, maybe spoilers,
there was a mention a while ago about a monster named Shigyo, it's a colossal Jellyfish thing, and oddly it was said in its Japanese profile translation that it was Sebastian's true archnemesis. We haven't actually seen it in footage, just a picture of it. This was from a Japanese information booklet about the game.

I'm curious how they got the final version of the game, the difficulty menu is different than the demo and the masks and descriptions are new. Options menu looks about the same as before to me.

Three options on the reticle. Show, Auto, or Hide. Show has it showing all the time, Auto has it only show when you pull out your weapon, Hide will make it never show up, and you aim by blind firing.

1.) Yes, but its not as common as RE4/5/6, and you actually have to scour it from enemies bodies before they disintegrate, they don't just pop up you have to search the body.

2.) Yes it does, and upgrading health will fully heal you.

Yes there is, both dubbed and subbed, and were a lot of languages in the demo. I recall English, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German, and French, but I believe there was at least one more.

Thanks for answering, good that these are only for limited sections and not for a whole scenario then. Also good to know the AI is decent.

Luminaire

All in a day's work, civ.
I know an acrobat who would say that a man's greatest fear could also be their greatest thrill.
So keep those hopes up.

8E1OxV1.png
WGz6Rdk.png
voLoTff.png
Jknu3Ap.png
CVMzDzo.png
KJGeiTg.png

Ah! Holy crap, these are great. Thank you! Now to pick...

Dusk Golem

ALSO: Heads-up.

Game is in the wild. I just found out those menu pics are someone from the Evil Within forums who took the pics as proof that they somehow got the PS3 version of the game early.

Guess we'll hear some off-hand impressions of the game soon.

Yes, but if you want a Suda/Mikami collab, Killer7 is the only reasonable choice.
Yup. There's really nothing else quite like it.

SotD was such a missed opportunity. :(

I typed up this convenient list of which games each has directed in the other thread, I'll repost it here:

Mikami
---------

Resident Evil - 1996 - Director/Producer
Dino Crisis - 1999 - Director/Producer
Resident Evil (remake) - 2002 - Director
P.N.03 - 2003 - Director
Resident Evil 4 - 2005 - Director
God Hand - 2006 - Director
Vanquish - 2010 - Director
The Evil Within - 2014 - Director

Kamiya
----------

Resident Evil 2 - 1998 - Director
Devil May Cry - 2001 - Director
Viewtiful Joe - 2003 - Director
Ōkami - 2006 - Story/Director
Bayonetta - 2009 - Story/Director
The Wonderful 101 - 2013 - Story/Director
Scalebound - TBA - Director
Such an amazing list of games there.

For me personally, I've always considered Kamiya's games to be the more consistently great of the two, while Mikami has higher highs and lower lows, if that makes sense. Although Mikami's directed horror games have never disappointed me, a trend I hope continues!

-MD-

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLP.

God, I played through one section the other day and she said it every 2 seconds, she was locked somewhere and I'm trying to get to her but it just kept repeating.

Seriously said it like 20 times by the time I reached her.

Game is in the wild. I just found out those menu pics are someone from the Evil Within forums who took the pics as proof that they somehow got the PS3 version of the game early.

Oh no... the spoilers are coming.

Dusk Golem

Oh no... the spoilers are coming.

Yes and no, I think it'll be safe in this topic as long as users are respectful and use spoiler tags, and the user who got it discussed with the site admin and isn't going to post full spoilers, mainly just impressions, some gameplay things, and take some screens of things.

Also, I've been hush on this and haven't looked at it myself, but there apparently were major story spoilers that have seemed to have been true leaked months ago, but it was on an obscure site that shut down, only a few knew about it and the few who knew decided not to make the info public, but as new details have rolled in it looks like the leak may have been true, I hear. I say hear as I decided I wouldn't look at it.

Apparently the recent Evil Within comic preview especially made it seem like it's true.

Then he is just trying to take credit and is a liar. I can confirm that those screens are not taken by a Evil Within forums member.

Dusk Golem

Then he is just trying to take credit and is a liar. I can confirm that those screens are not taken by a Evil Within forums member.

http://evilwithin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=434 (I hope mods will let this slide, I know linking other forums isn't particularly allowed, but as its related to the topic).

He said he had the PS3 version of the game, admin asked for proof, he posted the link to the pictures near the exact time the images popped up. Though if you know more, it'll make things interesting. -3-

Top Bottom