• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shit getting REAL - Dow CRASHES nearly 0.7% - Energy/Tech Reeling, Society Collapsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CNBC

Oil sank to six-month lows on Monday with Brent crude falling below $50 a barrel on sluggish U.S. and Chinese economic data and bets for weaker gasoline consumption in the United States after tearaway demand earlier in the summer.

Brent crude oil touched a low of $49.81 a barrel earlier in the day, its weakest since Jan. 30. The contract was last down $2.40 to $49.75 a barrel. Meanwhile, U.S. crude fell $1.80 to $45.30 a barrel, after hitting a four-month low of $45.11 a barrel earlier.

CNBC

The energy sector fell more than 1 percent as the greatest decliner in the S&P 500. Chevron briefly plunged more than 3 percent, while Exxon Mobil was off more than 1.5 percent. Crude oil fell more than 2 percent to trade below $46 a barrel. Brent fell below $50 a barrel for the first time since Jan. 30.

"You have weakness in the energy market.... The one positive out of today's market is the Dow Transports," said Robert Pavlik, chief market strategist at Boston Private Wealth. "It's August, it's summer, so there's sort of no reason to do any buying or selling, but if any kind of news like China happens or momentum to the downside, then there's less support for the market."

The Dow Jones industrial average traded about 170 points lower after earlier falling more than 100 points, while the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq Composite extended losses. The Dow transports traded about 0.20 percent higher.
Major tech names declined. Apple fell more than 2 percent to trade below its 200-day moving average and in correction territory.

Twitter plunged 6 percent to a new intraday low. The stock fell below $30 a share for the first time since May 2014 and has never closed below that level.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
A weakness in the energy markets cause the Dow to lose less than 1%....

Shit is truly getting "REAL".

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
unless youre just about to retire, you should be fine. These things even out over a span of 20-30 years to the point where dips like this are nothing in the long run

A drop of 1% will even out over the span of a week. Recessions and depressions even out over 20-30 years.

A drop of 1% almost warrants reading an article. But mostly it just changing the channel and listening to real news will suffice.

I should start hoarding gold and bullets?

glenn-beck-face-485x279.jpg

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's Monday. We shall see if this is a trend. People have been predicting a market correction for a while now.

Energy isn't gonna rebound, and I'm not exactly sold tech will either.

A bold claim to say Tech isn't going to rebound. Do you have any analysis to support your claim? You are oversimplifying a large sector. Tech isn't just Twitter and FB.

Diversification easily overcomes these small fluctuations. Anybody that is loosing their shirt over this probably shouldn't be playing in the markets until they learn how.

Pastry

Banned
Thread title is a bit exaggerated. The only people that need to worry are those that depend on oil and gas for a paycheck.

gcubed

Thread title is a bit exaggerated. The only people that need to worry are those that depend on oil and gas for a paycheck.

Like Canada.

I dont understand the OP's shock at oil/gas market correcting either. It was built up on a weak dollar. As the dollar continues to rapidly increase in value combined with China slowing consumption and still pumping it out of the ground like there is no tomorrow, this drop has been predicted for quite a while. Only idiots like Harper would keep riding that train. When the interest rates increase.. THAT will be interesting to see how the markets react... and expect oil to go cheaper.

Still 3.30 a gallon or gas here in wonderful utopia california.

I should start hoarding gold and bullets?

Gold is the worst investment, and has been for a while now. Just look at the price of gold over the past 10 years, it's hilarious.

I kind of hope we have a mini-crash. Not enough to hurt consumer spending but enough for the market to have a brief nosedive. I've got some cash saved up and I'm just waiting for a dip to buy into an index fun.

Catdaddy

Twitter plunged 6 percent to a new intraday low. The stock fell below $30 a share for the first time since May 2014 and has never closed below that level.

Social media crash incoming!!
and I don't care

gcubed

Social media crash incoming!!
and I don't care

yeah, but who is left that falls into that category? Facebook has actually done a decent job in diversifying itself from just solely social media, with their advertising arm FINALLY coming around.

So... twitter is fucked, which everyone already knew. Who else?

I would at some point expect to see a private equity collapse in Silicon Valley, but thats the only "tech bubble" i can see... and that doesn't really affect the country, just the many overpriced private tech firms in SV.

Enron

Banned
I hope more idiots panic and start selling! Drive that market down so I can buy in at a discount and make some more money in 2 months when everyone's forgotten about this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom