• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting inside Iran parliament and mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini

By looking at the pictures of one of the terrorists bodies who got decapitated, who would place explosives around their neck?
That's strange you would place it in a hidden place.

emag

This is the first attack by ISIS on Iranian soil, I believe. Terrible and shocking.

Isis? Really? I thought they were "pals" with Iran.

What? Iran has been the primary opponent of ISIS across the globe, sending more troops and resources to fight it than just about any other nation outside of Iraq and Syria themselves (certainly more than the US or is allies).

Worst thing about this attack is some people who make jokes about this situation and Rouhani on Twitter...

TBH, that looks like a still frame from a video rather than a photo. You'd have to be set up waiting for the explosion and quick on the shutter to catch it in a still shot, whereas getting a frame like that would just be a case of pointing a phone/camera at whatever was going on and then just pulling it out later.
Yes, it was a shot from this video. Maybe +18 for some scenes.

My sister woke me up to tell me about this and I was shocked. It never entered my mind that something like this would happen, it's absolutely disgusting. I'm glad my family there are safe.

RIP to all the victims.

ASIS

This is one of the worst Ramadans in recent memory.

My prayers are with everyone injured in Tehran right now.

Interesting that you went there though, im sure there are a lot of people that mistakenly make that same connection as you.

It's hard to keep tracking which one are the "good muslims", and which one are the "bad muslims"... Western narrative is always switching side :/

My grandmother still think that the shiites are the radicals, because of '79 revolution and fatwa against Rushdie.

KingK

Damn, that's awful. My thoughts are with the victim's families.

AFAIK, attacks like this are not common at all in Iran. I certainly don't remember hearing of any. I hate to ask, but does anybody have an idea of how this could play out politically there? I hope it doesn't jeopardise Rouhani and the reformists. It seems like Iran's been making a lot of progress with them, and I do not want to see the hardliners back. My first reaction was that this might be an attack by hardliners over the recent elections there, but ISIS makes more sense.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
This is dark. And during a religious festival as well.

I cant imagine the popular media will stand with Teheran the way they would London or Paris, but I for one am sad whenever anyone is targeted, whoever or wherever.

Tovarisc

Some summary about events thanks to CNN reporting. Also Russia sent their condolences to Iranians, will Trump rise above politics?

------

Attackers have mounted simultaneous gun and suicide bomb assaults on Iran's parliament building and the tomb of the republic's revolutionary founder, in one of the most audacious assaults to hit Tehran in decades.

At least 12 people were killed and dozens more injured in the twin assaults on the Iranian capital, state media reported. A third attack was foiled, Iran's Intelligence Ministry said.

ISIS issued a swift claim of responsibility. Its media wing, Amaq, claimed "fighters with the Islamic State" carried out the attack, but did not offer evidence.

By choosing the burial site of Iran's revered revolutionary leader, and the national legislative forum, the attackers picked highly symbolic targets.

The attack shocked Tehran: Until now, Iran has largely escaped the regular assaults launched against other participants in Syria's civil war. In a region plagued by sectarian violence, residents of the Iranian capital have lived in a peaceful oasis.

The violence unfolded at about 10 a.m. local time (2 a.m. ET) when gunmen apparently dressed as women stormed the main gate of the parliament building in central Tehran and opened fire, Iran's Deputy Interior Minister Mohammad Hossein Zolfaghari told state television.

The attackers took a number of hostages and at least one detonated a suicide bomb. Sporadic gunfire was heard before Iranian authorities declared the situation under control about four hours later. All four attackers were killed by security forces, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.

At the same time as the parliament attack was launched, a shooting spree and suicide bombing targeted the Ayatollah Khomeini mausoleum about 25 kilometers (15 miles) away, on the southern outskirts of the Iranian capital. Fars reported that one person was arrested at the tomb.
and more at http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/07/m...ment-shooting0144PMVODtopLink&linkId=38447401

TJLsWD5.png

Flyoagw.png

https://twitter.com/KremlinRussia_E/status/872442305428455424

Iksenpets

Banned
Isis? Really? I thought they were "pals" with Iran.

ISIS probably hates Iran more than they hate Westerners. The average ISIS member wants Westerners and their influence out of Muslim lands, but Iran, in their view, is a heretic regime that can't even be allowed to exist.

Anyway, sincere condolences to Iranians and anyone who has family over there. One of the great tragedies of the ISIS war is that so many of the parties affected by them have so many problems with each other that no one is able to put together a unified front against them.

sflufan

Banned
ISIL has substantially increased its Farsi language propaganda aimed at Sunnis living in Iran who may feel disaffected by the Shia-dominated government/society.

sflufan

Banned
Why do you say that? I thought I've read articles recently that argue that ISIS is on the verge of collapse.

Those things are not mutually exclusive.

The area controlled by the Islamic State is on the verge of collapse in both Syria and Iraq, but that doesn't mean that external terrorist actions by the Islamic State will abate. In fact, there is every reason to believe that they will increase as battlefield defeat draws nearer.

Mohonky

Iran's revolutionary guards say Saudi Arabia was behind deadly attacks in Tehran

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/872464833123405824

Either way, Iran will likely view it this way; it's either Saudi did it directly, or by proxy of aiding ISIS.

Can't really begin to work out how this goes down really. The ME is just a cluster fuck; every country has opposing religious sects within it's borders. If war ever broke out there would be mass confusion. On the one hand you're going to have the obvious frontlines of an army but the emergence of guerrilla style opposition from within your own population.

Breakage

Seems as if Ramadan is turning into terror season.
I think it will affect how the festival is viewed in future. People will come to see its advent with great anxiety.

Valhelm

contribute something
Yeah. 12 people die and a national parliament attacked and only two pages of commentary. Sympathy around here is really ethnocentric at times.

It's pretty easy to disregard the lives of people who live in countries that aren't friendly with the US. Our media framing is horrible.

Awfully curious timing.

RIP to the victims. I fear this is just the start...

Seems as if Ramadan is turning into terror season.

Agreed.

It's pretty easy to disregard the lives of people who live in countries that aren't friendly with the US. Our media framing is horrible.

The thing that pisses me off about shit like this is if you actually know anyone who is Persian they are some of the coolest people you will meet.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. It really fucks up our ability to empathise.

Mind you, US media is positively liberal and humane in comparison with some of the hate filled rags in the UK.

Yeah. 12 people die and a national parliament attacked and only two pages of commentary. Sympathy around here is really ethnocentric at times.

do you think there would be more coverage on equivalent site (if they're even allowed liberal gaming forums in iran) in iran for this, or for the london/manchester attacks?

people are more likely to empathise when they can relate to the people involved. maybe that's sad, but it's a fact of life

Top Bottom