• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Salsa

they should just edit all these dev walkthroughs together so we can just watch the whole game

seriously there's like 5 of them

mujun

Some interesting info for expats living in Japan.

Got word from a trusted source that SQEX has issued a "cockblock" order which basically is them trying to stop Asia / Western versions of the game from entering the country. Which is messing with the business models of import shops within the country that serve generally the expat / hardcore community.

So apparently talk of things like reverse importing may not be all that too far from the truth with this new info.

Some places may just try to get around the embargo other ways, but am sure that will drive the price of the game up a bit.

---

As others have said fucking FANTASTIC OT! :D

Looks like my asian version from Play Asia is about to ship. I hope this isn't true and even more that it doesn't become a trend.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Looks like my asian version from Play Asia is about to ship. I hope this isn't true and even more that it doesn't become a trend.

I think it could well do. Region locking and IP blocking is becoming more common and parallel importing is starting to get under publisher's skin.

Nope, you don't get the TF2 items.
Are you certain?

I pre-ordered Deus Ex from GMG back when it was released and received the TF2 bonus items for it even though the GMG page stated nothing about it. As far as I can tell, GMG buys pre-order keys just like the rest of us, but in bulk (and therefore discounted).. so the pre-order bonuses come with those keys. At least, that's been my experience with GMG thus far. Maybe they changed it since then.

EDIT: Pretty sure this happened with Red Orchestra 2 as well, now that I think about it.

German USK version is cut and it's release was delayed a few weeks.
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/sleeping-dogs/news/sleeping_dogs,45986,3003830.html

Lucky me, I ordered the PEGI AT version :)

€: Due to the recent Steam license changes - even imported PC versions won't be able to get activated at the non-german release date. :-(

It's been quite a while since I was hyped for a game like this but if I understand you correctly we won't be able to play till the USK does their stuff even if we get the PEGI version? :(

ekim

It's been quite a while since I was hyped for a game like this but if I understand you correctly we won't be able to play till the USK does their stuff even if we get the PEGI version? :(

Seems so... it also could be possible, that steam will downgrade your pegi version to a cut version or they simply disallow Non-USK keys in germany.

Glad I'm getting the 360 version - and my austrian retailer will dispatch my copy on monday :)

I watched the Giantbomb quick look with a buddy yesterday and we were laughing at some of the stuff happening onscreen. The mobile car jacking (probably inspired by Just Cause), the badass disarming of a thug (which happened right after we said "when is he gonna get a gun"), the kicking people into water, etc.

Also, the city looks great.

Only real gripe so far from what I've seen is the racing. Not a fan of that arcadey crap.

German USK version is cut and it's release was delayed a few weeks.
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/sleeping-dogs/news/sleeping_dogs,45986,3003830.html

Lucky me, I ordered the PEGI AT version :)

€: Due to the recent Steam license changes - even imported PC versions won't be able to get activated at the non-german release date. :-(

Are you telling me I have to wait if I live in Germany? Oh well, I will try regardless, if nothing works I will call my bro in Poland, tell him to log to my account and activate the game. This is allowed, right?

Are you telling me I have to wait if I live in Germany? Oh well, I will try regardless, if nothing works I will call my bro in Poland, tell him to log to my account and activate the game. This is allowed, right?

Won't work, the game checks where you are each time it loads. Its why for the VPN trick to work, you had to load it each time you ran the game. Although thats not even an option anymore going by some of the posts above.

garath

Don't know if this is a good place for this but I'm going to attempt to buy this from Greenmangaming with the discount code. I've never used greenman before, anyone have a referral link they'd like me to use?

edit: oh what the heck. It's not 44.99 anymore. It's 49.99 :(

I watched the Giantbomb quick look with a buddy yesterday and we were laughing at some of the stuff happening onscreen. The mobile car jacking (probably inspired by Just Cause), the badass disarming of a thug (which happened right after we said "when is he gonna get a gun"), the kicking people into water, etc.

Also, the city looks great.

Only real gripe so far from what I've seen is the racing. Not a fan of that arcadey crap.

Yeah, the driving is probably the only thing I'm not crazy about. The car jacking does look ridiculous and awesome though, lol.

Won't work, the game checks where you are each time it loads. Its why for the VPN trick to work, you had to load it each time you ran the game. Although thats not even an option anymore going by some of the posts above.

What if I get a CD-Key in Poland, and activate the game in Poland? Don't tell me I cannot even do that, that is f****** ridiculous!

Arucardo

Ugh, I hate the Saints Row type car and bike handling...

Would be awesome if you could choose between this turn-on-a-dime handling and a more realistic one like Mafia 2 or GTA IV (probably my favorite driving physics in an open world game).

ekim

What if I get a CD-Key in Poland, and activate the game in Poland? Don't tell me I cannot even do that, that is f****** ridiculous!

You can do that - but until the game releases in germany you have to setup a vpn tunnel to poland to start the game.

BioHazard

What a week of vidya:

V8acI.png

Now this I'm not sure on, but going on memory, I believe your region is based on the Steam clients current location, NOT the game's region, but I could be absolutely wrong on that.

Edit: Turns out I'm wrong, see ekim's post above.

Stitch

Gold Member

Won't work, the game checks where you are each time it loads.

The Gamestar site doesn't mention this anywhere. I only see a post in the forum from some unknown guy with no link to a source...

Normally steam just checks your region when you register your key. Only very few games check your region when you start the game. Skyrim, Prototype 2.... uhhh I think one of the russian Max Payne 3 versions (there's one with a check and a early pre-order one without.)

edit: actually only the russian versions of skyrim and prototype 2 check your region.

The Gamestar site doesn't mention this anywhere. I only see a post in the forum from some unknown guy with no link to a source...

Normally steam just checks your region when you register your key. Only very few games check your region when you start the game. Skyrim, Prototype 2.... uhhh I think one of the russian Max Payne 3 versions (there's one with a check and a early pre-order one without.)

edit: actually only the russian versions of skyrim and prototype 2 check your region.

I'm only going off what I had to do with Deus Ex last year.

Stitch

Gold Member
The Deus Ex keys weren't region locked. Activating the game worked with every key, from every region.

I guess you mean that you weren't able to play it because you got your key before the official European launch.

I guess that's probably what ekim is talking about..? lol

The Deus Ex keys weren't region locked. Activating the game worked with every key, from every region.

I guess you mean that you weren't able to play it because you got your key before the official European launch.

I guess that's probably what ekim is talking about..? lol

Castor Krieg asked about waiting for the game in Germany, and unlocking it in Poland then logging back in in Germany to play it. So yes we were talking about unlocking it before release date, not activating foreign keys which your right, can be done in any region after release (bar Russian keys).

Since the result of Dark Souls being lead as a terrible PC port I have decided to pre-order this instead. I grew up watching and loving Jackie Chan movies so this should be an awesome experience.

Phinor

Are you certain?

I pre-ordered Deus Ex from GMG back when it was released and received the TF2 bonus items for it even though the GMG page stated nothing about it. As far as I can tell, GMG buys pre-order keys just like the rest of us, but in bulk (and therefore discounted).. so the pre-order bonuses come with those keys. At least, that's been my experience with GMG thus far. Maybe they changed it since then.

EDIT: Pretty sure this happened with Red Orchestra 2 as well, now that I think about it.

I'm 100% sure you didn't get the Deus Ex bonus TF2 items with GMG pre-order. It simply didn't happen, not to anyone. Now Red Orchestra 2, that game was an exception and all pre-orders regardless of the store you bought the digital version from got you the TF2 hats. It has never happened since Red Orchestra 2, and it very likely won't happen with Sleeping Dogs or any other game for that matter. Maybe some small indie games at some point, maybe.

Stitch

Gold Member
Castor Krieg asked about waiting for the game in Germany, and unlocking it in Poland then logging back in in Germany to play it. So yes we were talking about unlocking it before release date, not activating foreign keys which your right, can be done in any region after release (bar Russian keys).

oh ok.
well, I guess we have to wait and see what happens on the release day.
steam page still says "This game will unlock in approximately 1 week, and 3 hours"

Would be awesome if you could choose between this turn-on-a-dime handling and a more realistic one like Mafia 2 or GTA IV (probably my favorite driving physics in an open world game).
Yeah that was probably my main beef with Streets of LA. It just gets boring when there's no dynamic feel to the driving. At least in LA you could spontaneously make your car drive on two wheels and nonsense like that. Don't think those stunts are returning?

Yeah, me too. They were definitly a step up from the previous games, but still felt like you were driving a pair of roller skates. And trying to do stunt jumps was pretty bad. The cars just never got that much airtime.

Looking at some of the videos from Sleeping Dogs the cars and bikes seem to be much more floaty when going off jumps. When I played it at PAX the cars handled similar to Just Cause 2, but were better handling around turns.

MRORANGE

Are you certain?

I didn't and most of gaf didn't. Red Orchestra 2 is the only exception

_machine

Yup, sucks especially as I've been playing a lot of Mafia II which has pretty awesome vehicle physics.

garath

Dammit. Didn't realize I missed the GMG promo code. Now I think I'm going to have to wait for winter sale. At least it will be a nice gem for later.

Gav47

Yeah it used to be a violation to buy stuf via VPN but ~1 week ago they banned activations also.

I think that only applies to activations of region locked products, I can't see Steam going out if their way to protect brick and mortar retailer's release dates when you're activating a ROW key. But I guess we'll find out next week.

With Dead Island and a few other games - I log in to a US VPN and open steam, the game will be unlocked and I can play. I log in without a VPN, the game is still locked even if I already played it / redeemed my CD key for it.

Top Bottom