• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

dreamfall

Some of those brutal takedowns remind me so much of the Punisher game. Mixed with Yakuza/Arkham. This is going to be excellent!

Phinor

Couldn't resist, already got Darksiders II from GMG so I went ahead and grabbed Sleeping Dogs too. Can't beat the PC version for 33.75, wish I had gotten in on the 30% off Daily Special tho.

Don't worry, due to how well GMG coupons and site generally functions, the 25% coupon was the better choice. With the 30% coupon the price would have been 34.65, while with the 25% coupon it's 33.75.

JebusF

Neo Member
The hand to hand combat is a lot better than a Rockstar open world game. I really liked the ability to fluidly transition between parkour or vehicles to run and gun shooting and hand to hand combat. In the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, this game looks incredible. I was one of the ones demoing it at E3 for press. But if you see someone play it for the first time, they're not going to have Wei's full arsenal of moves committed to muscle memory, and thus will look like they're playing a different game.

So agree with this. The hand-to-hand combat in Sleeping Dogs is absolutely wonderful fun.

Fjordson

Wow. PC video looks great. But whatever, should be fine on 360 if the pop-in isn't too bad...

1312044038265.gif

Vlodril

thanks. it goes down to 33.75 euros for me but for some reason it won't accept to use my credit. I send a help request on the site.

Jimrpg

just watched the live action film.... this game and the short films are pretty violent. what do people think of this trend in video games?.... i think some of it was unnecessarily violent...

gdt

just watched the live action film.... this game and the short films are pretty violent. what do people think of this trend in video games?.... i think some of it was unnecessarily violent...

Its going for a HK action movie feel. Sleeping Dogs isn't part of a trend, its going for a specific thing.

I don't give a shit about trends and just want to play a game involving beating up Chinese criminals in the streets for a change of pace.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It's a Hong Kong blood opera. It's supposed to be over the top, nonsensical violence for violence's sake. Just like the cinema.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I had a dream about this game that it ended up turning into a city simulator, but a bad one like the Brutal Legend of SimCity.

...It was weird.

Mington

Ive only just twigged that this is set in hong kong, I went on holiday there a few months ago. It be interesting to see how close it is to reality

Mr_eX

I'm really tempted to pre-order this on Steam but I think Darksiders 2 comes out the same day and I'm way more hyped for that. This does come with some sweet TF2 stuff though...

Seems like another countries OXM gave it 75% : http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sleeping-dogs oO

Huh,

It hits enough high notes to warrant the trip to Hong Kong, even if the route there feels a little too familiar.

I wonder what they mean by the bolded, that it's similar to SR/GTA in terms of core gameplay (driving around the city, completing missions, etc) or do they mean the missions are all samey/similar to those in GTA/SR.

I'm hoping it's not the latter as the one mission video posted a few weeks ago looked pretty original.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I had a dream about this game that it ended up turning into a city simulator, but a bad one like the Brutal Legend of SimCity.

...It was weird.

The other night I dreamt that I was on the set of The Hobbit, only it wasn't The Hobbit, it was a Jackson-directed rom-com starring Randy from My Name is Earl (as in the character, not the actor), who, in the scene I was watching being filmed, was trying to woo a lady, busy cleaning her plant, by putting in a Coldplay CD and playing/singing "Yellow". I can't remember much after that, but at some point I found myself in Hungry Jack's (Burger King for you yanks), and because I didn't have my glasses on me, I couldn't read the menu well and just ordered whatever the latest burger was. As I turned around, Clint Eastwood, complete with his misanthropic Gran Torino expression, took my burger and started eating it, commenting on how good it tasted.

Some other stuff happened after that, but it's all fragmented.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, the game looks like such a blast. But I just sort of came to my senses and realized that I don't really need to buy both this and Darksiders II at the same time. I already am backlogged and have even more coming down the pipe. I want to keep my pre-order, but reason tells me that I should wait on this a little bit. What to do?

confused.png

legbone

Man, the game looks like such a blast. But I just sort of came to my senses and realized that I don't really need to buy both this and Darksiders II at the same time. I already am backlogged and have even more coming down the pipe. I want to keep my pre-order, but reason tells me that I should wait on this a little bit. What to do?

Well, here's what I have decided to do. Maybe it will help you. I am getting both games on day one. I have heard that this game is like 15 to 20 hours long and DSII is like 30 to 40 (maybe even more). So I'm going to play this first and then play Darksiders II. I should probably wait and buy Darksiders after I finish this but I doubt it will drop in price anytime soon. I could be wrong on that though.

Muffdraul

Well, here's what I have decided to do. Maybe it will help you. I am getting both games on day one. I have heard that this game is like 15 to 20 hours long and DSII is like 30 to 40 (maybe even more). So I'm going to play this first and then play Darksiders II. I should probably wait and buy Darksiders after I finish this but I doubt it will drop in price anytime soon. I could be wrong on that though.

I was hemming and hawing about which to play first too, eventually for me it came down to the fact that I knew I wanted Sleeping Dogs several months before I knew I wanted Darksiders II, so it made sense to play SD first. But the estimated game play time is def. a factor. The last time I remember being this conflicted was when Metal Gear Solid and Xenogears came out the same day. MGS first was a no brainer. Good thing, because Xenogears ended up taking me over 80 hours across an entire goddamn month. =D

ironcreed

Banned

I may keep my pre-order, I don't know. But I am definitely more excited for Darksiders II. It's just more my speed overall and it looks like I'll be getting plenty out of it. As fun as Sleeping Dogs looks, it does not look like it will have the same staying power or replay value.

Time to get the PC fixed. A few months ago I shut my computer off one night, no issues. Went to turn it back on and nothing.

Anyone have any clue what the hardware issue is most likely? I'm taking it to a shop, and hopefully it's not too bad. Luckily the computer is insured, but with a 250 deductible.

Chairhome

Time to get the PC fixed. A few months ago I shut my computer off one night, no issues. Went to turn it back on and nothing.

Anyone have any clue what the hardware issue is most likely? I'm taking it to a shop, and hopefully it's not too bad. Luckily the computer is insured, but with a 250 deductible.

Try obvious things first. Power supply might have gone bad? Does anything happen when you hit the power switch? Is it connected to a power strip that might have tripped?

Top Bottom