• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PC performance is fine on my rig, I have fairly modest specs. It has a decent range of video options, including some more taxing shadow/lighting options. Pop-in is noticeable if you're looking for it, but minimal - I assume that's better than the console versions.
AMD or Nvidia?

DJIzana

The gi review called GTA the king and basically said these kind of games were just for people waiting for GTA. lol

Guess we'll find out if GTA is still the king when number 5 comes out though. While they will sell in numbers, who knows if it will technically be as good as the other GTA's, if not better... or their competitors.

pahamrick

Bummer, looks like Steam changed the pre-order bonuses and now you only get the Triad Enforcer pack.

That's what I get for waiting.

PC performance is fine on my rig, I have fairly modest specs. It has a decent range of video options, including some more taxing shadow/lighting options. Pop-in is noticeable if you're looking for it, but minimal - I assume that's better than the console versions.

Awesome, thanks for this.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Can you list your spec and FPS? Are you maxing it?

Radeon 6850, Phenom X4 965 Black Edition, 12GB DDR3 RAM. According to the benchmark I'm getting an average of 60.8fps, with some dips (not sure what causes them - I assume physics or effects) to around 30fps. Everything is maxed, apart from AA and Shadow Filtering, which I turned down to Normal rather than High/Extreme.

DJIzana

Radeon 6850, Phenom X4 965 Black Edition, 12GB DDR3 RAM. According to the benchmark I'm getting an average of 60.8fps, with some dips (not sure what causes them - I assume physics or effects) to around 30fps. Everything is maxed, apart from AA and Shadow Filtering, which I turned down to Normal rather than High/Extreme.

Hmmm... wonder how this will run with my 470 GTX, 6GB DDR3 RAM?

DJIzana

Probably fine. The game scales well, it just looks like maxing it has a ton of extra effects and stuff.

Thanks BigJiantRobut. I'm hoping I can last until the next gen of video cards before I have to upgrade, hah.

Good thing I don't play many shooters any more but it looks like open world games can be quite taxing, sometimes.

Nabs

Do you have vsync enabled for the benchmark?

D-Stubbs

The gi review called GTA the king and basically said these kind of games were just for people waiting for GTA. lol

I hate it when people do that. I love GTA as much as anybody but I can still enjoy any urban open world game for what it is and not sit there and compare it to GTA all day.

That would be a good idea. Vsync not only caps your framerate, but it can give you drops down to 30 if there's no triple buffering.

Doy, of course. Will run again for y'all, sans sync.

Interestingly enough, the options have a frame rate limiter built in, separate from vsync. Might come in handy for some folks!

Nabs

Doy, of course. Will run again for y'all, sans sync.

Interestingly enough, the options have a frame rate limiter built in, separate from vsync. Might come in handy for some folks!

It sounds like people are going to be really happy with this port. I'll definitely pick it up down the line.

Spookie

Really reassuring to hear that this won't be some sloppy 20fps port. Between this and Darksiders my week prior to the Guild Wars 2 release will be packed!

That would be a good idea. Vsync not only caps your framerate, but it can give you drops down to 30 if there's no triple buffering.

Benchmark (same settings, without vsync): 119.9 max, 38.8 min, 72.8 average.

Really reassuring to hear that this won't be some sloppy 20fps port. Between this and Darksiders my week prior to the Guild Wars 2 release will be packed!

Do keep in mind that these are just observations I've made with one copy on one computer! YMMV, as they say.

Jimrpg

I hate it when people do that. I love GTA as much as anybody but I can still enjoy any urban open world game for what it is and not sit there and compare it to GTA all day.

You would think 10 years on (or however long its been since GTA came out) that people would find something else to compare it to... would we still compare FPSes to Doom/Half Life?

Fjordson

You would think 10 years on (or however long its been since GTA came out) that people would find something else to compare it to... would we still compare FPSes to Doom/Half Life?
Eh, I think the FPS genre is a lot more wide open than something more specific like this (open-world crime games). And none have really come close to challenging GTA yet.

Not that I like that quote in the review, seems unfair to Sleeping Dogs, but just sayin'.

-GJ-

We don't even know what it is yet. If it's a high res texture pack, then I'm going to bet on it being a PC exclusive.

Yeah I was guessing that would be it. We got a HiRes texture pack for Battlefield 3 on the consoles though, because it didn't fit on the discs anymore or something like that.

Have had this pre-ordered for months. I've never been interested in one of these open-world/crime, GTA type games before, but something about Sleeping Dogs seems different so I'm gonna give it a try. Fingers crossed that it lives up to expectations!

Soi-Fong

Thanks for this!! :) Will have this baby pre-ordered soon!! Hopefully it's good!

Just a question. Have you tried it out with a 360 controller?

I love Hong Kong crime and action movies so this could be very good for me. Will wait for more impression/reviews though before I get too hype. I think the combat could make or break the game.

Soi-Fong

The requirements are up on the Steam page. Hmm... Just having trouble deciding whether to get it from GMG or Steam and get the TF2 stuff.

Phinor

This is probably a bit silly but hearing that there's a frame rate limiter just made me go from "wait for Steam sales" to "where's the cheapest pre-order". Attention to detail with PC ports is where they get me if I'm not already on board.

Yagharek

I'm kind of sad as Darksiders is getting more love from Neogaf than this game.

Both deserve it.

I just saw the police investigation vid that I assume has done the rounds in this thread already.

Amazing stuff. Show people that, that will get them excited.

Stream was fun except the "gamers" - God, the stereotypes....

4 girls you can date, when you complete personal quests for one of them some things show up on the minimap.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gonna need a GTX 560+ to support those high res DLC textures.

Right guys? Right?

Top Bottom