• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

mrk8885

Banned
I got a small scratch on my screen from the dock during the ten days or so between buying the Switch and my screen protector arriving. It's not a big deal now that it's protected, but I don't know why anyone would want to risk using it without one.

The whole situation makes me hate how joycons don't have a charging plug. I only play in docked mode, and the only reason I had to constantly take the device out of the dock was to charge them. I have a Pro Controller, now, so I'll only use the joycons for multiplayer games, and I'll eventually get a power dock for them.

Wait...why did you have to take the switch out of the dock to charge the joycons?

2 month Moleskin update: My Switch still has zero scratches and glides in and out of the dock like butter. If you're still worried about scratching your screen and don't want the hassle of a screen protector, I highly recommend it. Makes the Switch dock feel gasp... premium.

41lWvxOJkjL.jpg

Just cut and and stick.

Find it in the footcare aisle of any pharmacy for like 5 bucks.

neurophd

2 month Moleskin update: My Switch still has zero scratches and glides in and out of the dock like butter. If you're still worried about scratching your screen and don't want the hassle of a screen protector, I highly recommend it. Makes the Switch dock feel gasp... premium.

41lWvxOJkjL.jpg

Just cut and and stick.

Can you provide a pic of where you applied? Great idea!

Copper

I slid it out dozens of times and still no scratches. I even dropped it once and nothing. Guess I just lucked out.

Bought a Switch today and I was told if there were any signs of the system scratching I could just change it for a new one. Can you transfer saves off thing or is Nintendo still doing that bs?

ciD_Vain

I've had electrical tape on mine since day one on all railings and ive had zero scratches and I've taken the Switch out of the dock once almost every day since launch day.

So far no scratches on all three of our switches here, we use the same dock (unmodified) and they have all gone in and out a few times a day since launch. The rubbery spots do leave a smudge or two at the bottom where they touch the bezel though but it wipes off easy.

Smudges and not scratches are definitely my problem it's been about two months and I keep looking at the problem area but nothing so far. My base unit seems to be fine though, it doesn't turn inwarinwards. So far so good.

Korezo

I leave my switch on the dock all the time now since its not bent, but the bottom 2 screen edge corners always get heavy scuff marks on it when pulling it out, the switch would of probaby been full of scratches if not for the screen protector.

Anyway I ordered those etsy sleeves like 2 weeks ago and still nothing, how long it takes to ship? A month?

Crayon

Wait. This is still happening? I thought this was because the launch day docks were bent.

It doesn't have to be bent. Mine had no scratches after dozens of docks. Then a clumsy friend of mine tried and he scratched it first try. I find it natural to drop it straight in and pull it straight out. When I say him do it, he was kind of feeling around for the walls of the dock to guide it. That scratched it.

Yeah, for what it's worth, NOA is still shipping docks that are bent. My switch that i bought from AAFES the other week had one and it was baaaad.... i noticed it right away.
To mitigate this, i installed my amFilm protector first anyway along with throwing a microfiber glasses cleaning cloth inside the dock.
Already contacted Nintendo customer service and they will be repairing/replacing it free of charge...

DavidDesu

I got a screen protector a couple of weeks after owning the Switch. I was careful when docking up to that point and have no scratches on my screen at all. Since using the protector I have just chucked the Switch in the dock without a care and can report I still don't have any scratches or even scuffs on the screen protector now so I'm pretty happy. I have a tempered glass screen protector off Amazon UK (not the brands other people keep mentioning though) but it's working really well and it is nice to have that peace of mind to be honest. Well worth the £5 it cost.

JonnyKong

41lWvxOJkjL.jpg

Just cut and and stick.

This is exactly what I used cos I remember seeing you post your op, so thank you!

//DEVIL//

The airflow in the dock is shit. Just buy a USB extender for 10$ and hide the whole dock if you want ( that's what I did ) .

ss_lemonade

My launch Switch still doesn't have any scratches on it's screen but I just found out that I have a pretty deep scratch at the bottom of the Switch

nmcGDdXl.jpg

Either I got that from sliding the thing into the dock, or my Switch came with the scratch and I just did not notice until today. :(

I just got a switch today after Amazon had it on sale, and I did and the penny test and confirmed that my dock is slightly bending. I have the glass screen protector everyone loves so should I bother getting the dock replaced via warranty?

Rayis

I use the foam that came inside the Switch's box and taped it on the inside of the dock and after about a month with the Switch, no scratches yet, I'm also super careful with it though, the joycon grip has a pretty noticeable scratch on the middle panel and it bothers me even though it's just a piece of plastic lol

antibolo

Banned
I finally stopped procrastinating and installed my Hori screen protector yesterday. My bezels are literally filled with scratches from the stupid fucking dock at this point. Thankfully none of them are really visible under the screen protector, so it's all good now.

Shout-outs to Hori for their really clever design, very easy to apply. I also used the steamy bathroom trick to make sure no dust would fuck everything up. Everything worked out great. Had two bubbles near the center but they were easy to push away.

antibolo

Banned
I don't understand why 100 pages later this thread still hasn't had its title corrected. We already know pretty well that not all docks have this problem. A lot of people come here and shitpost because they are not affected by the problem despite the title incorrectly claiming that it's "inevitable".

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I didn't notice any for the longest time, but on the left side the bezel has gotten some scratches, luckily nothing too noticeable. I'm usually not a fan of screen protectors because of the bubbles, but I may get that Hori one.

co1onel

I just got a switch today after Amazon had it on sale, and I did and the penny test and confirmed that my dock is slightly bending. I have the glass screen protector everyone loves so should I bother getting the dock replaced via warranty?
Yes get it replaced. My dock is bent and I thought using a screen protector would solve my issues but now there are very visible scratches on the back of the system due to it rubbing against the rails.

I wonder if Nintendo is going to adjust the dock or something. If they do I'd buy one ASAP. Maybe by the end of the year?

This thread has made me hold off on getting a Switch for now (though I am sold on the concept), even if it's not affecting everyone.

Why are people so bothered by this thread? Semantics aside, it's a very legitimate concern.

People are bothered because it implies that this is something that will happen to everyone.

The reality is that some of the launch screens were lower quality and as a result get scratched, bent dock or not.

Most are strong enough to withstand all sorts of abuse.

antibolo

Banned
Why are people so bothered by this thread? Semantics aside, it's a very legitimate concern.

As I just explained a few posts ago, it's because of the exaggerated title of the thread. People who aren't affected see it as concern trolling and are therefore attracted into shitposting.

MoogleMan

What's bothersome is the effort and money some switch owners are going to just to avoid scratches while a $9 glass screen protector solves the problem quickly and easily.

"$9 for a glass screen protector? Nah. Lemme pay $20 for a dock sock which could still end up scratching my switch screen."

I'm normally against screen protectors; the screens on most modern devices are already made of glass, usually glass far more scratch resistant than any screen protector. But the switch has a plastic screen. A screen protector is pretty much a necessity...

jts

...hate me...
My only problem with this thread is with the blatant lying trollbait, let's-create-panic title, extrapolating from experiences gathered at March 3rd (day the Switch was launched), while meanwhile people that have slid in and out the console everyday for months are still to face any issues.

Inevitably my ass.

Otherwise it could have its value.

Glad the Switch is doing so well even after all this FUD.

F31 Leopard

Smudges and not scratches are definitely my problem it's been about two months and I keep looking at the problem area but nothing so far. My base unit seems to be fine though, it doesn't turn inwarinwards. So far so good.

Same here. I've been naked since launch. I only get smudges when I pull it from the dock. It looks like scratches but they come right off after wiping it with these:
dhhrIZA.jpg

On another note, I think Nintendo should use some kind of scratch resistant coating like Blu ray/Wii U discs have for the screen.

Top Bottom