• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

CrocoDuck

Aside from some scuff marks that I can't buff out, there were no scratches on my Switch.

Still installed an Orzly Tempered Glass protector today.
... One TINY TINY piece of dust still snuck through <_<

Same here. Installed the Orzly protector. Installation was super easy, except for that really small speck of dust that entered.

I haven't used the dock in a while, is there any news to what causes the scratches? From the few times I've used it, i get no scratches.

Ecto311

Finally printed the front to the dock that I had posted pages back. Impressed that the 2 parts fit so easily but might look into a single face with a switch sunk in logo or something. Like this a lot better than the stock setup.

uGRdPgIl.jpg

mUMT7Jgl.jpg

Moshio

Neo Member
For those who placed electric tape over the front rails, have you had any issues arise from that method? Ended up doing that myself near launch, but want to make sure I'm not potentially damaging any part of the system down the line. Seems to be a good solution so far, though.

shiyrley

Banned
I finally got my amfilm protector and applied it. It was near perfect, just a little more to the right than it should (just a little bit, the speakers and light sensor are still uncovered), and I got one little hair but it's in the bezel, not the screen itself. I guess I'll buy another 2-pack eventually to try and go for a perfect application but not anytime soon.

rec0ded1

Finally printed the front to the dock that I had posted pages back. Impressed that the 2 parts fit so easily but might look into a single face with a switch sunk in logo or something. Like this a lot better than the stock setup.

uGRdPgIl.jpg

mUMT7Jgl.jpg

Cool. Do you have the blueprint up anywhere?

Edit: got it

For those who placed electric tape over the front rails, have you had any issues arise from that method? Ended up doing that myself near launch, but want to make sure I'm not potentially damaging any part of the system down the line. Seems to be a good solution so far, though.

I used that method - just because I was a bit paranoid. No scratches at all and I have been dragging it out of the dock and putting it in at funny angles to get it inside the TV cabinet. I think it is a limited issue - not to say that some aren't affected - but if you can be a little rough with it for a few days and all is well, you are fine.

chekhonte

I had ordered one of those dock sock things from etsy, it gets here today but I scratched my switch yesterday :( oh well. here's a pic of my scratch:

I never feels good to scratch your new toy but it's bound to happen and you'll forget it's even there soon enough.

thy_

Applying two strips of black electrical tape was the first thing I did after unboxing the switch. And so far there aren't any scratches anywhere. I haven't even felt the need to hurry in putting on a screen protector. (I have only been using my switch as a "house-handheld" until now, so it hasn't been carried in a bag.)
The tape is smooth and soft, so as long as nothing hard sticks to it (like a sand corn or something), it should be the one that gets scratches from the switch and not the other way around.

It gave me enough confidence in the method to build a bedside-switch-holder just out of cheap plywood, and still have smooth and soft interior by generously plastering it in tape (and some foam rubber).

my post in the "Nintendo Switch Dock Mod Thread"
(The screen part of the switch doesn't actually touch any part of my diy-dock, but I wouldn't want to get any scratches on the rest of the housing either.)

Karish

I had ordered one of those dock sock things from etsy, it gets here today but I scratched my switch yesterday :( oh well. here's a pic of my scratch:

Similar thing happened to me. Got scratch the day before my screen protector arrived. Stay strong! Luckily my protector has actually helped the scratch become less noticeable.

burgerdog

Nearly a month of usage and zero scratches with a glass protector. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or late but at least it will be on the film.

Karish

I just got my repaired dock from Nintendo and this thing slides in so much smoother now. Anyone who says theres no problem is just obnoxious

EDIT: I think they replaced my dock. Not "fixed", but way better than what I had before

Socreges

Banned
So I was one of the people saying my Switch was fine, no scratches. Well I put the screen under a light and sure enough there are scratches on the side (black side bar). One even slightly encroaches on the screen itself, which is unfortunate.

That said, I just installed the Orzly screen protector over the scratches. Fuck it. Impossible to notice them without scrutiny anyhow. And I can't be bothered to send my Switch in for a replacement and be left without for weeks.

Really disappointed in Nintendo's QA, though.

PS. I could send the Dock in to be fixed but just wouldn't have TV play capability for however long?

terrible

Banned
I got my Orzly screen protector yesterday. I didn't use the hinge method or anything but it went on perfectly regardless. No bubbles, no dust, no hair. It actually settled without bubbles on its own, I was really surprised. It couldn't have gone more flawlessly. Maybe I'm just lucky. It feels good not having to worry about the screen anymore.

LJ11

Anyone try the spigen protector?

Picked it up a week or so ago, I used a couple of their protectors on my parents phones and they were good so I decided to take the plunge, was not disappointed. Good instructions, easy as hell to apply, and they guide you with an online video if needed. Highly recommended.

Edit: Made a pretty big mistake, I bought the PLESON protector. No clue why I thought it was Spigen. Ignore my post unless you want the pleson, which is good.

I posted this in the OT, but is the material on the back of the Switch just really prone to getting marked up?

I have a long mark that looks like it came from the dock, and some other spots that won't come off.

Anyone try the spigen protector?

I have it and it's great. Went on perfectly, no bubbles, without the hinge method.

I ordered it because the Amfilm was on backorder at the time, but I've ended up keeping the Spigen on and saving the other as a backup if this ever gets scratched up.

I just got my repaired dock from Nintendo and this thing slides in so much smoother now. Anyone who says theres no problem is just obnoxious

EDIT: I think they replaced my dock. Not "fixed", but way better than what I had before

What was the turn around time to get it back? How easy was the process? I certainly need to send mine in. I'm assuming you only had to send in the dock.

I ordered an Orzly screen protector and case forever ago, and goddamn is it taking long. Last delivery date is something like almost over a month after I ordered it, like April 17, but jeez.

I have been using my Switch mostly in handheld mode, and I bought myself an extension cord for the dock whenever I want to use it so it's fine. But I saw this online, and thought it looked so cool I just had to order one from here:

il_570xN.1204212871_cp5p.jpg

Falchion

Bought my Switch yesterday and as soon as I set up the dock I thought about this thread. I'm going to the store later to get some electrical tape just to be on the safe side.

Karish

What was the turn around time to get it back? How easy was the process? I certainly need to send mine in. I'm assuming you only had to send in the dock.
Sent thursday and got back the next Thursday. Yes didn't need to send my switch in, though did do joycon at same time

Skeletos311

I got my Switch back from repair. They replaced the screen and sent me a new dock. It says they transfered my data in the notes, but I don't think they replaced the whole unit. Who knows. Those sheets are the same as they were when I sent in 3DS systems as far as I can tell. Regardless, my screen is scratch free. The new dock is just as bent as the other one, though. There is a lot of friction while putting the system in. I stuck a book in it and will put a sleeve on it too. I'm not dojng this again.

RaidenZR

I just sent my Switch to Nintendo for repairs yesterday. The left Joycon was getting interrupted a lot so I was mainly calling for that but when I went to dictate my serial number to the customer service rep, I noticed all kinds of crazy vertical scratches alongside the back of the machine- and they were absolutely from the dock. It looked horrible, like someone keyed the machine. I looked and felt inside the dock's groove and I didn't see anything like stray debris in there that would do that. The dock is some awful engineering on their part if a new machine sitting in a climate controlled environment could do that to itself. I'm also pretty careful when sliding it back in. Not anal and lowering it perfectly with gloves on, but careful so I'm not just plopping it in haphazardly.

So yeah, really crummy situation.

Plus, I'm really worried about my 100 hr Zelda save file now... If my choices are lose my saves and they'll replace the hardware or keep my save and keep the scratches too, I'm not sure which choice I'll make.

soultron

Banned
Anyone else with the ORZLY screen protector notice how snug it is when sliding into/out of the dock? It's starting to build this weird residue where it contacts the dock, right above the bezels. I'll try and post some pics when I get the chance. Like... it's not scratches, but it's some kind of smudging. (It can be wiped away, thankfully.)

Thinking of going back to the regular HORI screen protector since it never had these issues.

Iced

Switch arrived from Amazon on Tuesday. Applied an Orzly screen protector to it. Dock doesn't look too bent compared to pictures I've seen, but maybe slightly inward. When I undock I notice two smudges on the bottom left and right of my my protector (outside the area of the actual screen). Likely due to the added thickness of the screen protector itself. They wipe away easily, though.

jts

...hate me...
You realize you not only have to get it into the dock but exactly the right position so it clicks into the small USB-C plug.
There is an aligning system in place. It doesn't need to be a millimetre perfect hit.

Nesther

After a week of using it extensively, my electric tape augmented dock hasn't scratched my Switch yet! Hopefully my tempered glass arrives next week, so I can burry the remaining fears of scratching the screen.

ss_lemonade

So has there been any conclusive tests or anything on how the screen gets scratched? I've had mine since launch with no screen protector and haven't had any scratches yet

sonto340

So has there been any conclusive tests or anything on how the screen gets scratched? I've had mine since launch with no screen protector and haven't had any scratches yet
I'm in the same camp as you. I've gotten some smudges where people say they've had scratches appear but they wipe off pretty easily.

Okay, I got my Switch today and indeed the dock is bent. I'm bringing the dock back to the store (and possibly the whole thing if they won't just take the dock), and thanks to my extra warranty, they'll be able to send it to Nintendo for a proper one most likely.

Before I do so, I should test the Joy-Cons (so I can replace both if needed at once), what's the best method of starting up the system? Do I fully charge the unit first? Do I not and just turn it on and let it drain all the way before charging it for the first time?

Can the Joy-Cons be tested in portable mode? Obviously I don't want to put the unit into the dock as is, I still need to pick out a screen protector.

Any help is appreciated so I can prevent a huge mess before it happens.

Docked and undocked almost every day since release. No screen protector. Still no scratch.

Same.

I guess I've been lucky? I have docked/undocked my Switch everyday at least once since launch day (usually more than once), and I have no scratches. No screen protector, as I just don't like the look of them - I know many people say they don't notice them, but I can't unsee them when they are on.

My dock is bent (although not as bad as some I've seen), but no issues. I DID get a "dock sock" from Etsy that I put on the dock, but I didn't have anything showing on my screen prior to that with regular docking/undocking except the occasional smudge that wiped off.

Sucks to see so many posts of people getting scratched screens. :(

Top Bottom