• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

RootCause

it sucks that you have to pay to solve a problem that could've been easily avoided.
But I think this product solves the problem. It's meant to be used in both docked/undocked mode, and it doesn't add much bulk. Sadly you'll have to import it. It's available at Play-Asia, and Amazon.jp

tlqSCIG.jpg

Links

https://www.amazon.co.jp/FRONT-COVER-Nintendo-Switch-ブラック/dp/B01N125DYN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488638635&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+switch+front+cover

http://www.play-asia.com/front-cover-for-nintendo-switch-pink/13/70aw5j

Slaythe

This is really really stupid. I put the official screen protector for security, I have to say that for the first time in my life I had no problem with air bubbles.

I heard the legends. It's like the perfect poop.

it sucks that you have to pay to solve a problem that could've been easily avoided.
But I think this product solves the problem. It's meant to be used in both docked/undocked mode, and it doesn't add much bulk. Sadly you'll have to import it. It's available at Play-Asia, and Amazon.jp

This is slick as fuck but we need confirmation that it does fit and also can be used as stand :p .

This is cool. Can you give a link ?

This should have been default on the console tbh......

Pretty sure when docked that protector is supposed to sit over the dock.

Like you uncover the screen, fold that back, and then slide it in.

Well that makes sense as it's also in an awkward place where you can neither describe it as 'portable' or 'home console' :D

Hmm, I don't know! I feel the only thing muddying the waters there is Nintendos's PR insisting that it's a home console first and foremost. I don't think anyone who plays it for five minutes in both modes will come away with the opinion that it's anything other than a handheld console that has the (admittedly very cool) bonus feature of being able to easily play on your TV.

RootCause

I heard the legends. It's like the perfect poop.

This is slick as fuck but we need confirmation that it does fit and also can be used as stand :p .

This is cool. Can you give a link ?

This should have been default on the console tbh......
Updated with links. But hold on, on ordering. :p

Pretty sure when docked that protector is supposed to sit over the dock.

Like you uncover the screen, fold that back, and then slide it in.
Oh, boy. It says that it works docked, but I don't know if that's how its done. We'll see soon enough. :eek:

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lame that this seems to be an issue. No scratches on mine yet, but I taped some of the foam sleeve that the tablet was in over the top of the rail in the inside of the dock for now. Will grab some thin felt sticker pads or whatever next time I'm a Lowes or Home Depot.

hoserx

Links

https://www.amazon.co.jp/FRONT-COVER-Nintendo-Switch-ブラック/dp/B01N125DYN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488638635&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+switch+front+cover

http://www.play-asia.com/front-cover-for-nintendo-switch-pink/13/70aw5j

Sadly, no. It doesn't fit in the dock with the cover over it. You have to flop it over the outside of the dock.

GqTw8NO.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
Folks, I think I've found one of the contributing factors and why it seems hit and miss for some users to have no issues and others to have lots.

While it's subtle at a glance, the front plate actually bends inwards gently, making it tighter at the top then at the bottom, and since the slotted plastic tabs on either side run almost to the top, what you're getting is a pinch point where the screen has a higher chance of touching the screen, I measured with digital calipers and the depth of the dock at the bottom was 51.3mm, at the top it was 47.8, a difference of 3.5mm, meaning you have 1.75mm less space either side of the console at the top than you do at the bottom, and the severity of the bend will no doubt differ from unit to unit.

If it was perfectly straight you would have a slot that was 19mm wide from top to bottom, but at least for my dock, it isn't. I will not be surprised if many others (especially those that have scratches) find the front panel of theirs bows inwards too

mine definitely bows inwards.....I've tried pulling it back......if there is nothing in that front part like a board.....I might just break the thing off and not give a fuck lol

Jesus, I have no idea how you guys are getting these scratches. My Switch barely even touches the dock when sliding down to begin with.

I've checked mine and no scratches anywhere, not even tiny ones. Been switching from dock to handheld often.

Yea I'm looking so hard to find scratches but I can't. Lol where are people getting these? On the screen itself?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, mine definitely bows inward too, and more on the left than the right.

Ogawa-san

just get an angle grinder and chop off the front part of the dock
If the Switch is tipped forward while docked for whatever reason (someone carelessly undocking or removing the joycons for example), the CRUNCH sound the contacts will make as they break will haunt you forever.

DontBlink

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but do no get the PDP screen protector. It is sized exactly like the screen, so unless you can magically align it, even being of by 1 millimeter will leave edge bubbles.

So this thread has gotten really long and I think I read a lot of it but I assume this is happening to a lot of people here? Am I the only one that has docked/undocked literally dozens of times and doesn't have a single scratch? I must have done it at least 20 times when I first unboxed to play around with it and sometimes I was pretty rough with it too because I didn't learn the proper lining to get it in on one try. Since unboxing I've done at least another 10 times.

darkwing

So this thread has gotten really long and I think I read a lot of it but I assume this is happening to a lot of people here? Am I the only one that has docked/undocked literally dozens of times and doesn't have a single scratch? I must have done it at least 20 times when I first unboxed to play around with it and sometimes I was pretty rough with it too because I didn't learn the proper lining to get it in on one try. Since unboxing I've done at least another 10 times.

not all docks are created equal

Crayon

The thing goes in with next to zero pressure and does not even touch the guides when I dock it. So that's two of us.

Guys, if the screen is soft enough to be scratched so easily by the dock plastic, it's not going to wear well through daily use either. A screen protector is the only answer. The screen appears to be a few notches up from potato in the Mohs hardness scale. It's not a premium device.

FaintDeftone

I thought about simply going to a craft store and buying some sticky felt material and just slapping that inside the dock as much as I can. Would probably be around the same price as a screen protector and I wouldn't need that ugly thing stuck to my Switch with air bubbles driving me nuts.

mindatlarge

I assume it's been mentioned before, but before I cut pieces of my dock off, why wouldn't I just buy a USB-C extension cord?

Plug it into the dock, set the switch next to the dock, plug it into that.

They're like $8:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z5XG6ZK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Wouldn't you need female to male? (or not female, but the mini end to the regular looking USB fatter end) Would the cord that comes with the Pro controller work then? I'm too scared to undock it to check.:(

ToTi

What are those?
I'm sorry but I don't know the proper name in english. They are those things used under the chair legs for example. Felt pads maybe?

Do the top of the rails not need covering?
Not really, they seems enough!

Huh did you remove the padding from Nintendo? Why?
I didn't remove anything actually.

Ahhh that is a good and simple and cheap solution. Huzzah!
Awesome idea! Cheap, simple, effective, and won't cause any damage. Going to pick some of these up today.

Yes, that's why I posted here. Almost anyone have those in their homes.

modsbox

does this work?

OMG if this works....genius

I mean it should work right? Even if Nintendo is doing some proprietary data transfer when docked it's still a regular USB-C port (so it can charge with a regular usb-c cord) right? So extending the conductors a little bit with a short extension cable should work just fine.

I don't have the required usb-c extension cord (female to male is what you would want, like the one I linked on Amazon) one so I can't try it, but would love to find out if it does.

If it does work, I can also see folks moving the guts of their dock into a smaller usb hub-like shell, maybe repurposing a raspberry pi container?

Here's a teardown of the dock:

https://imgur.com/gallery/CKg5g#Ib992EJ

It's small. Basically a little usb / hdmi board with a cord that runs to the usb-c female plug for the Switch to plug into.

nullpoynter

just get an angle grinder and chop off the front part of the dock

vkp9IjO.png

vgC2EKO.png

This is like the worst idea. Without that front piece of plastic, you then have to worry about someone taking it out of the dock at the wrong angle and snapping off the USB type c connector.

Breakage

I don't understand why the dock has to be so big. As far as I know, there's no fan or anything special inside, so the dock could easily have been a slim elegant cradle that sits below the Switch (like the official PSVita cradle for example). The extra plastic covering the screen is excessive and ugly.

I feel like this is one case where the user scratched it by other means and is using an easy target to blame, the dock.

I have yet to see any other cases of this, either with friends or other people online. If there are links, post them, but otherwise this sounds like hyperbole.

Not saying it can't happen, but saying this is a huge disaster and trying to paint every negative as such is getting tired around here.

Firecrest

Dammit... I can already confirm that my screen developed a hairline scratch along the bezel where it comes into contact with the dock. I originally had a screen protector preordered with my Switch, but now Best Buy is backordered until April (wtf).

On the upside, I got a discount at my job for geek squad protection, which handles scratches and defects. Usually they're really good about this stuff.

modsbox

I don't understand why the dock has to be so big. As far as I know, there's no fan or anything special inside, so the dock could easily have been a slim elegant cradle that sits below the Switch (like the official PSVita cradle for example). The extra plastic covering the screen is excessive and ugly.

My guess is that they didn't want the thing falling off the table or entertainment center you put it on?

But still, the guts are pretty small. Here's a teardown of the dock:

https://imgur.com/gallery/CKg5g#Ib992EJ

Top Bottom