• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Vitacat

Thats what i read that screen protectors and skins on the switch is a bad idea,maybe the glass screen protectors work better dunno
Do not use skins. They can mess up the finish of the plastic. But a good quality screen protector will not harm the screen itself. In fact it will keep it nice.

NOTE: people have reported that the Hori Premium screen protector is melting. I think it's because the premium one is thicker, and not letting heat disperse as well as thinner ones. Ironically, thinner protectors like Horis own cheaper regular ones, and the even less costly Illumishields are not having a problem.

Nintendo sells an official screen protector with a carrying case. They wouldn't be doing that if you couldn't use one. It's skins that are the problem, and those are stupid anyways.

Its the skins that melt. Don't buy those.

The protectors are fine.
Yes thats correct but im not sure on what site i read it yesterday there was a thread about the skins but in the end of it they mentioned to be careful with screen protectors too ,so im not sure just a heads up

Not true. lol

I have a normal Hori screen protector and it has not melted. Apparently the higher quality one loses its adhesive due to heat, but it's not melting per say.

I see. Thanks for the info :)

Its the skins that melt. Don't buy those.

The protectors are fine.

That's good. So I should be fine with the one that comes with the official Nintendo case?

Thats what i read that screen protectors and skins on the switch is a bad idea,maybe the glass screen protectors work better dunno

I have never heard of screen protectors melting on a mobile/portable screen up until today. I wonder whats up.

Your Switch screen is plastic and has NO cover.

This shit is getting scratched within two weeks tops.

Buy a tempered glass sp.

Remember, you can't transfer your save data. So you might as well take good care of your console because there's no sending it back.

What about the sp that comes with the official Nintendo carrying case?

The Switch is awesome to use and while the dock thing is crazy, you get a screen protector for free with the official case. Or you buy one separate and it's $5. That solves the only legit problem this thing has and apart from that it's awesome and really well-designed.

I shouldn't have to buy extra accessories for this to work as intended. The stuff you guys excuse is absolutely ridiculous. Be a fan of a company, a system or whatever, but don't be a blind follower. It's so weird seeing people come in here, blame users or tell them to just buy a screen protector, they shouldn't have to.

Biske

I shouldn't have to buy extra accessories for this to work as intended. The stuff you guys excuse is absolutely ridiculous. Be a fan of a company, a system or whatever, but don't be a blind follower. It's so weird seeing people come in here, blame users or tell them to just buy a screen protector, they shouldn't have to.

Yup. I love Nintendo. Have loved every console. No regrets. But this is bullshit, no matter how easily you can fix it. This is a major fuck up in product design from them.

I'm loving the switch. It's incredible, but the fact they weren't thinking or testing the dock apparently... They deserve to get unlimited shit for it.

Anybody can look at the plastic ridges on the dock and know it's bad design.

Have you never bought anything with a screen before?

Or you've always had a perfect screen first try?

Man, I wish I had your luck

There's a thing called "screen calibration" that can alleviate this, something that can be done before the unit leaves the factory? Especially important if the device itself doesn't offer the option?

But yeah, why hold Nintendo to any standards at all.

You must be trolling at this point.

"$0.05 has been deposited into your bank account."

This is so fucking juvenile. I have zero interest in whatever you think I should be saying or doing to "be neutral".

I'm speaking from experience, saying hey, this thing is a joy to use. I said yes, the dock thing is idiotic, but if you're interested in Switch, $5 solves the problem for now and you can just carry on having a great time with it.

If that's being a 'blind follower' or some other flame wars bullshit term, I'd much rather be that than whatever you guys are doing.

I believe this is caused by sliding the device out at an angle. There is some space in there even when docked. You need to pull straight up.

Nicko

Now as for the solutions :

1) Buy a tempered glass screen protector, this has no bubbles and isn't a pain in the ass to set up, it's 10 bucks

2) put some foam or use the film that came with the screen and put it on the front of the Dock with some tape(what faces the screen)

Regarding your solutions, I've got 2 questions:

1. Could you send a link to the glass protector you recommend so I can grab one when it comes back in stock?

2. What "film that came with the screen" are you referring to? There was no peel-away film on my screen when I got it, unlike every new phone and tablet I get...

Slaythe

What about the sp that comes with the official Nintendo carrying case?

It will protect the screen underneath. Overtime you want to replace i with a tempered glass SP.

But it should do fine in the meanwhile. I haven't heard complaints about it besides those common to plastic films (air bubbles, dust collector).

Is it normal that some screens come with a yellow tint to it? really?

The only other device I had this problem with was the 3DS.
There's a thing called "screen calibration" that can alleviate this, something that can be done before the unit leaves the factory? Especially important if the device itself doesn't offer the option?

But yeah, why hold Nintendo to any standards at all.

Alright, part 2 of this shit (not you, Sora, just gonna answer your question)

What's bothering you so much that have to whip out this insanely condescending tone? Why assume I'm a complete idiot/fanboy?

Anyways, Sora: I've had iPads, Galaxy S7, my TV, and basically every other type of device come out with a yellow tone, a pink tone, etc.

It just comes with the territory for basically anything with a screen. It happens. Just buy from a retailer that lets you return the product for whatever reason you want. That way, you can just swap it out when it doesn't meet your standard/preference (some people prefer a warmer, 'yellower' screen).

This is so fucking juvenile. I have zero interest in whatever you think I should be saying or doing to "be neutral".

I'm speaking from experience, saying hey, this thing is a joy to use. I said yes, the dock thing is idiotic, but if you're interested in Switch, $5 solves the problem for now and you can just carry on having a great time with it.

If that's being a 'blind follower' or some other flame wars bullshit term, I'd much rather be that than whatever you guys are doing.

Because it actively sounds like your defending this thing by just saying but a screen protector problem is solved. Maybe Nintendo should have designed this cheap dock better.

Btw I bought a screen protector, I think the Switch is pretty damn good system, but they made some dumb decisions, if I came in here and just said, "buy a screen protector" then it would seem like I'm excusing this stuff, which I really can't.

Slaythe

Regarding your solutions, I've got 2 questions:

1. Could you send a link to the glass protector you recommend so I can grab one when it comes back in stock?

2. What "film that came with the screen" are you referring to? There was no peel-away film on my screen when I got it, unlike every new phone and tablet I get...

1. I'm in europe so we might have different ones, really you just want it to be "tempered glass" and Switch fitted. They all use the same technology, and unless you see a red flag in the reviews, any should be good.

2. I meant the packaging thing, I don't know how that's called, this :

bmLJd0d.jpg

If you want to go all fancy you can buy these cheap things :

Keep in mind with a glass SP, your screen is protected entirely, so these extra measures are to ensure the SP itself doesn't get scratched. Tempered glass is meant to be pretty resistant so it's really extra precautions.

Cranzor

Can anyone check the bottom left of their Switch (not the screen but to the left of it)? I have a scratch there that's so perfectly centered and straight that it almost just looks like an intentional marking and not a scratch. I have no idea what would have caused it besides the dock and I've been very careful while docking and undocking.

EDIT: Here's a picture. Looking at it today, it's definitely a scratch. Thankfully it's hardly noticeable and not on the screen itself but I've been very careful so it's kind of disappointing. Here's a picture (you probably will have to zoom in to see it -- it's on the lower bottom left part).

Maximo

"That solves the only legit problem this thing has"
Nah man your wrong...the switch most definitely has other issues and it doesn't solve the issue at all your screen will always get scratched pretty insane if someone has to buy a new protector every few weeks/months because of a design flaw by Nintendo.
Your free to your opinions but don't go around acting like they are facts and brush off legit criticism its not a flame war or bullshit term the only one that has acted juvenile is you here, if your having so much fun with the Switch then leave your not adding anything to the conversation at this point.

An unofficial shill for Nintendo?

Just buy the official screen protector guys everything is fine great system :) :) :)

What's more juvenile is to get irrationally offended because someone is pointing out the flaws in your favorite game system. Yes, the consumer can buy a screen protector, do some ghetto fixes, and repurpose the contents of the box like you are in the wilderness to combat the problem. But at the same time, it's a problem that really shouldn't exist, nor should it require work to fix on the consumer's side. That's shoddy design, or errorsome builds, or whatever.

So, yeah, I'd much rather not be blind to the faults of a product or play defense all day and not get paid for it, thanks.

Because it actively sounds like your defending this thing by just saying but a screen protector problem is solved. Maybe Nintendo should have designed this cheap dock better.

Btw I bought a screen protector, I think the Switch is pretty damn good system, but they made some dumb decisions, if I came in here and just said, "buy a screen protector" then it would seem like I'm excusing this stuff, which I really can't.

But that's not what I did, so stop acting like it.

I actively denounced the dock being shit. But that doesn't mean it has to impede my or other people's enjoyment 24/7. I said that with the screen protector, you can just go on enjoying it for a relatively low cost. And that the rest of the machine is really well-designed.

"That solves the only legit problem this thing has"
Nah man your wrong...the switch most definitely has other issues and it doesn't solve the issue at all your screen will always get scratched pretty insane if someone has to buy a new protector every few weeks/months because of a design flaw by Nintendo.
Your free to your opinions but don't go around acting like they are facts and brush off legit criticism its not a flame war or bullshit term the only one that has acted juvenile is you here, if your having so much fun with the Switch then leave your not adding anything to the conversation at this point.
An unofficial shill for Nintendo?

Just buy the official screen protector guys everything is fine great system :) :) :)

What's more juvenile is to get irrationally offended because someone is pointing out the flaws in your favorite game system. Yes, the consumer can buy a screen protector, do some ghetto fixes, and repurpose the contents of the box like you are in the wilderness to combat the problem. But at the same time, it's a problem that really shouldn't exist, nor should it require work to fix on the consumer's side. That's shoddy design, or errorsome builds, or whatever.

So, yeah, I'd much rather not be blind to the faults of a product or play defense all day and not get paid for it, thanks.

Same goes for you guys. Don't strawman me saying I'm turning a blind eye to its flaws. I'm trying to actually help people with a solution instead of just spewing vitriol and accusing everyone of being a dumb fanboy.

jay

They're saying don't be pro corporate and anti consumer. That's not immature or juvenile.

This rubber tab is at the very bottom of the slot, and only protects the very bottom of the console WHILE docked, the scratches are occurring during insertion and removal, where this rubber tab isn't even in contact with the console.

People seriously need to stop blaming the end user on this issue, it isn't, it's purely down to poor design.

great post. I am 40 years old, and have literally never scratched a single device I have ever owned. That said, within a single day my Switch is showing what looks like the beginnings of scratches.

I actively denounced the dock being shit. But that doesn't mean it has to impede my or other people's enjoyment 24/7. I said that with the screen protector, you can just go on enjoying it for a relatively low cost. And that the rest of the machine is really well-designed.

Well.

The Switch is awesome to use and while the dock thing is crazy, you get a screen protector for free with the official case. Or you buy one separate and it's $5. That solves the only legit problem this thing has and apart from that it's awesome and really well-designed.

And nobody is saying this'll ruin their Switch experience forever. You are overreacting over nothing my dude.

Same goes for you guys. Don't strawman me saying I'm turning a blind eye to its flaws. I'm trying to actually help people with a solution instead of just spewing vitriol and accusing everyone of being a dumb fanboy.

Telling people to buy something and being confused as to why they think it's not okay to have to fix the problem themselves instead of Nintendo making a better product is like helping then taking a dump on the help.

Firebrand

These tempered glass protectors, are they fully clear or do they affect brightness, etc? Are reflections between the screen and the glass an issue?

Well.

And nobody is saying this'll ruin their Switch experience forever. You are overreacting over nothing my dude.

Come on. Don't play this down.

You quoted me with a '$0.05 has been added to your bank account'.

Don't expect me to be happy about that. I wasn't looking for a heated argument.

They're saying don't be pro corporate and anti consumer. That's not immature or juvenile.

Nice stealth edit.

I believe this is caused by sliding the device out at an angle. There is some space in there even when docked. You need to pull straight up.
I think the level of care that you have to put into pulling it out of the dock is definitely an oversight. If there was more of a gap where you almost would have to try to scrape it across the dock then we could argue people are being careless.

Schnozberry

I'm guessing the dock isn't a natural fit in some people's entertainment centers, and they're forced to dock and undock at angles or lay it on it's side. I could definitely see how that would produce the scratches people are describing.

Come on. Don't play this down.

You quoted me with a '$0.05 has been added to your bank account'.

Don't expect me to be happy about that. I wasn't looking for a heated argument.

Don't expect others to be happy about being told to stop complaining when they have to make the fix themselves.

Don't expect others to be happy about being told to stop complaining when they have to make the fix themselves and you wouldn't get responses like that.

Show me where I told others to stop complaining or stop doing anything.

Show me where I did anything else besides saying 'hey this sucks, but the fix is low-cost and solves the biggest flaw'.

Just admit that even the slightest positivity draws ire in here.

That's why I said it makes it "seem" like that. Shouldn't have said blind follower, I apologize for that, but it comes off as dismissive saying "buy a screen protector, it's only 5 dollars and fixes the issue".

Can anyone check the bottom left of their Switch (not the screen but to the left of it)? I have a scratch there that's so perfectly centered and straight that it almost just looks like an intentional marking and not a scratch. I have no idea what would have caused it besides the dock and I've been very careful while docking and undocking.

Just dust on my unit. I have inserted and removed it probably 30 times now.
12123485807t0jg5.jpg

That's why I said it makes it "seem" like that. Shouldn't have said blind follower, I apologize for that, but it comes off as dismissive saying "buy a screen protector, it's only 5 dollars and fixes the issue".

I honestly appreciate the apology, but "buy a screen protector, it's only 5 dollars and fixes the issue" isn't dismissive when it's said right after saying the issue really sucks .

Futaba

It amazes me that the dock is such an integral part of their console concept of worry and haste free gaming you can play at home or on the go, yet the quality of design on such an integral part of that vision is so shoddy and cheap, all it would have needed is felt or rubber strips stuck to the four guide tabs and this would be a non-issue.

Whoever thought it was fine to allow bare textured plastic to make contact with the screen plastics in an area where it will be moving around at odd angles and speeds, needs firing and sending back to design school.

Show me where I did anything else besides saying 'hey this sucks, but the fix is low-cost and solves the biggest flaw'.
You didn't say "biggest flaw" you said "the only legit problem" which comes across as both dismissive of the other glaring issues the console has, and overly defensive.

Cranzor

Just dust on my unit. I have inserted and removed it probably 30 times now.

Ah, sorry. My directions weren't very clear. By bottom left, I meant the bottom of the front. I edited and posted a picture above. Thanks for checking but I realized it's a scratch. :(

Show me where I told others to stop complaining or stop doing anything.

Not in so many words.

First, let's begin with this nugget:

Have you never bought anything with a screen before?

Or you've always had a perfect screen first try?

Man, I wish I had your luck

Already you are being dismissive.

Now, in response to this:

It speaks to either how poorly designed the switch.

You shouldn't have a system that within 1 day of use is scratched up.

You respond with this:

True, you were helpful, but the problem is that the consumer shouldn't have to buy these fixes. Saying "well, just buy this thing" in relation to what the dude was saying might not seem dismissive to you, but it sure is hell seems more like brushing the problem aside.

Then you go on a tirade because I guess you don't understand why people are giving you shade on this page, and here we are. Bonus points for assuming people are going to stop enjoying their Switch consoles due to this problem and making a problem out of thin air.

The overall point is this: the original discussion (at least the second part) was about the faulty dock and while you can buy a neat little fix, that's anti-consumerism and pretty shitty on Nintendo's part. Like I said, your suggestions were fine, it's just waving it off as no big deal when people weren't really discussing a proper fix so much as the quality was the problem.

essenn

Docked and undocked mine 10+ times and I haven't seen any scratches yet

The Orzly protector will take about a month to get here, so I ordered amfilm instead, which will be here next week....just going to keep it docked til then.

Ah, sorry. My directions weren't very clear. By bottom left, I meant the bottom of the front. I edited and posted a picture above. Thanks for checking but I realized it's a scratch. :(

I can barely even see anything on your picture. LOL You're fine, maybe it's just a slight manufacturing issue. Forgivable I would think.

I think the level of care that you have to put into pulling it out of the dock is definitely an oversight. If there was more of a gap where you almost would have to try to scrape it across the dock then we could argue people are being careless.

Oh no doubt. The user has to conform to possible poor design, which is not ideal. We have to just be more cautious.

I honestly appreciate the apology, but "buy a screen protector, it's only 5 dollars and fixes the issue" isn't dismissive when it's said right after saying the issue really sucks .

Maybe I got the wrong impression. I know I quoted you, but that wasn't meant to be directed to only your post.

ngower

Is anyone working on a third party dock? I know Nintendo have proprietary software but I'm curious if anyone is working on a doc similar to the the 3DS they doesn't have the front part that's making contact with screens?

Also, is there a definitive glass protector yet? I'm seeing so much hysteria it's hard to know what the consensus is.

Top Bottom