• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

btkadams

Has anybody confirmed that you can successfully plug a female USB C to male USB cable into the dock so that you can plug the switch in without sliding it into the dock?

My amFilm screen protector is finally shipping. Having the Switch just sit there and not be able to use it due to fear of scratches has been TORTURE.

Finally stopped being lazy and confirmed my dock is bent. :/ might try contacting Nintendo to see if I can get them to throw me a bone and send me a dock. =p

Dolobill

Damn... i've only removed my switch from the dock about 3 or 4 times and I'm already seeing very tiny, long scratches on the right bezel. I assumed this thread was one of those rare cases that happened to get too much attention.

FingerBang

Guys, I don't think it's because of the dock, but I've got a big scratch/dent (1 mm large, 4 mm tall) on the lower right corner of the screen, just because I put it in my bag yesterday to show it to some co-workers. I thought it was dirt at first but it's not, it doesn't come off.

It's not a big deal, it's not noticeable when playing and it's definitely my fault for not buying a screen protector (currently waiting for me at a conbini next to my house, gonna stick it on as soon as I get home), but be careful. To compare, I have a Vita bought on day one with not a single scratch and I've been throwing it in my bag a lot. Same goes for my phone after a year of constant use.

Blame me as much as you want, but the screen is disappointingly delicate.

Got my switch on launch day but just now opening it... my dock is bent so I have a thick bluray case forcing it open. For those of you heating it up, what are you using to heat it up?

ggx2ac

Let's start taking bets as to whether this gets completely ignored or kind-of-but-not-really fixed in the next revision.

Depends on what they could do. They could make the gap in the dock wider to reduce chances of friction with the screen. If they still need to make the volume the same due to keeping the same size packaging then they'd probably have to make the back of the dock slimmer.

The lazy approach would be to call up Nintendo customer service for a screen protector and/or they pack-in screen protectors from now on to protect your screen like how you would have wrist straps for Wii remotes.

Haines

Banned
I put the official screen protector on. My first time ever using one.

Had screen perfectly clean. Got the screen protector on in like 10 seconds, perfectly straight. But theres still small dust under it.

Doesnt bother me bc the screen will be far dirtier anyways but i have no idea how anyone can do it without dust. I was fast.

Is there a better one that i should order to replace this one when this one is scratched or mucked up.

Toki767

Had screen perfectly clean. Got the screen protector on in like 10 seconds, perfectly straight. But theres still small dust under it.

Doesnt bother me bc the screen will be far dirtier anyways but i have no idea how anyone can do it without dust. I was fast.

Is there a better one that i should order to replace this one when this one is scratched or mucked up.

Turn on hot water in your bathroom shower to let steam build up and kill dust particles.

Apply screen protector in your bathroom.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So it should be pretty apparent to everyone now that the design and implementation of this dock is pure shit.

What I don't get is this thing was not made in the last couple of months, Nintendo showed it off last fall. From the beginning most people looking at this thing probably wondered, like I did, how they were going to avoid scratching the screen and I'm sure most of us assumed Nintendo designed in some smart way to avoid it. Obviously they didn't.
I'm thinking the dock isn't made not to be crooked, it's designed to clamp/hold the screen, and the bezel on the screen and guides on the dock exist to be scratched as part of normal wear-and-tear. So this is not an oversight, but the actual design.

Example: This is my switch dock that I just removed from the packaging for the first time 30min ago. Aside from the weird white powder(from manufacturing process, I'm sure) on the side of the dock guides, the dock front is extremely skewed...
SWITCHDOCK.jpg

This is squared up perfectly in the corner of my scanner bed and visible at distance with the naked eye.

This is the alignment of the bezel and dock clamps along with weird white residue. The Switch gets dusty fast, pinched, and the rest seems obvious. Think it's made that way. This is the dock 30secs after pulling it out of the packaging...
dockdrop.jpg

residue.jpg

Nerrel

Depends on what they could do. They could make the gap in the dock wider to reduce chances of friction with the screen. If they still need to make the volume the same due to keeping the same size packaging then they'd probably have to make the back of the dock slimmer.

The lazy approach would be to call up Nintendo customer service for a screen protector and/or they pack-in screen protectors from now on to protect your screen like how you would have wrist straps for Wii remotes.

I was thinking more along the lines of putting rubbery padding along the entire surface of the rails instead of just a small fraction at the bottom, as it is now. The dock is going to have to contact the surface on either side of the system to keep it stable. It's the fact that the system is making contact with rough plastic, apparently by design, that's the issue. If the rails were a softer material then it wouldn't really matter that they contact the screen.

Aesthet1c

Just noticed my dock is bent as well.

Is Nintendo doing anything about this? I'm thinking of calling Nintendo's service and see if they will replace it because this is ridiculous and I'm worried I'm going to start scratching my screen.

Haines

Banned
Turn on hot water in your bathroom shower to let steam build up and kill dust particles.

Apply screen protector in your bathroom.

I should have done that. My house is dusty due to 3 dogs and a grooming shop downstairs.

Next time i guess.

Im not even going to see if my dock is bent. I dont need a headache. I just want to enjoy some games,

ggx2ac

I was thinking more along the lines of putting rubbery padding along the entire surface of the rails instead of just a small fraction at the bottom, as it is now. The dock is going to have to contact the surface on either side of the system to keep it stable. It's the fact that the system is making contact with rough plastic, apparently by design, that's the issue. If the rails were a softer material then it wouldn't really matter that they contact the screen.

You'd probably still have to make the gap wider. Rubber has a much higher frictional coefficient compared to plastic.

That's why they made the rails plastic in the dock, there is a low frictional coefficient between plastic materials which is why the Switch slides down easily in the dock.

Nerrel

You'd probably still have to make the gap wider. Rubber has a much higher frictional coefficient compared to plastic.

That's why they made the rails plastic in the dock, there is a low frictional coefficient between plastic materials which is why the Switch slides down easily in the dock.

Rubbery might have been the wrong word to use but my point is that there's got to be a better material than raw plastic. It's obvious that they really shaved pennies off all over the place, like the lack of a USB charging port on the grip (and the $30 you have to pay to get an identical accessory that has one), and the fact that they didn't stick anything in there to protect the screen is another sign that they were too cheap to care. If they were going to go with a glossy bezel around the screen, they should have taken the care to design a dock that wouldn't fuck it up through regular use. If the rails only contacted a matte portion of the system, it probably wouldn't matter.

I'm thinking the dock isn't made not to be crooked, it's designed to clamp/hold the screen, and the bezel on the screen and guides on the dock exist to be scratched as part of normal wear-and-tear. So this is not an oversight, but the actual design.

Example: This is my switch dock that I just removed from the packaging for the first time 30min ago. Aside from the weird white powder(from manufacturing process, I'm sure) on the side of the dock guides, the dock front is extremely skewed...

This is squared up perfectly in the corner of my scanner bed and visible at distance with the naked eye.

This is the alignment of the bezel and dock clamps along with weird white residue. The Switch gets dusty fast, pinched, and the rest seems obvious. Think it's made that way. This is the dock 30secs after pulling it out of the packaging...
There is no way whatsoever that they intentionally designed the dock to scratch the screen. That would mean Nintendo was malicious instead of incompetent.

Unless Nintendo has truly and completely lost their marbles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have docked the Switch repeatedly over the last several days and I have no scratching. Very mild smudging where the rubber bumpers rest against the device when it is docked, but otherwise not a thing.

To think I was so worried I was goaded into buying a glass screen protector... Are people really that careless with their devices?

You might be subconsciously (or consciously) removing the switch carefully, making sure to push back slightly to keep it away from the screen. Maybe more carefully than you otherwise would if you weren't aware of this being a possible problem.

Or maybe your dock has more room so less likely to pinch the switch. Or maybe you're just lucky? You docking the switch several times isn't the same as hundreds of people docking in terms of staple size. Nor does it compare to you docking it hundreds of times over the next few years, so it isn't possible to say this is or isn't a problem.

A plastic screen will scratch easily though, so a glass screen protector could be a good idea generally, not jut to protect against this possible issue.

liquidtmd

Banned
If I had a Switch, I wouldn't even care. In fact, I would embrace it.

Use it. Don't abuse it. That's what you bought it for.

Small imperfections like this from normal use are no big deal to me. I think people are being overly critical and anal.

People who are conscious about scratches on their screen who are going out of their way to be gentle are still getting scratches on their screens after using the machine twice.

But yes, everyones just anal and abusive - you sure got this 59 page thread figured out.

After leaving Crysis in the dock overnight I can confirm it has adjusted the angle to a more satisfying angle. Still not going to risk it until my screen protector comes.

I dont have a Switch, but out of interest is the dock assembled from 2 pieces? I was thinking if the 2 sides were screwed together too tight, that could cause the bottom end of the open slot to be a tighter gap than the top.

Added an image for now. Just waiting on the Hori Stand. You can see the reflection of zelda running on my monitor on the Switch Screen.

That's nice, the reason it sits so loosely I'm guessing is because the section with the nubs that hold the switch and has the USB-C male end is a plate that is pushed down by the weight of the switch. Probably don't need to tape the usb c male to female. You probably just can tape down the plate.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There is no way whatsoever that they intentionally designed the dock to scratch the screen. That would mean Nintendo was malicious instead of incompetent.
Why? They put the bezel there so it doesn't scratch the playing area of the screen. I'd venture that the area right around those guide clamps will have the heaviest wear and tear. That's the solution, the bezel and the clamps.

Good news is that ifixit said the plastic screen cover is easily replaced and the digitizer is not fused to the display. There is a cable to be careful with, but eventually that can be swapped for $10-20.

I'm convinced the dock is meant to be bent/flexible and the bezel is meant to be the clamp zone. If it's not, then Nintendo needs to clarify this with their customers because there are numerous people reporting and providing pictures of bent docks. Are they supposed to dock? Call for a replacement?

sugarless

I have not seen or used the official one that comes with the case, but this Hori one is amazing. I put it on and it's hard to tell it's even on there at all. They have a multi-pull-tab solution first gets it aligned and sticking in the middle of the screen, then pulls the removable sheet off to the right and left so the 'stick' of the sheet spreads out and pushes any bubbles to the bezel. You then use the little card that comes with it to push those out completely. It's seriously amazing.

Guys how to determine if the dock is bent? So far I don't have any scratches, but I have the official screen protector applied which came with the traveling case and I'm super careful when sliding the Switch into the dock or pulling it from it.

Does my dock look bent?

http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_0264zyuw3.jpg

http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_0265pmsyn.jpg

If it is, it's very very slight. Mine is bent. The top essentially just leans inwards slightly, but enough to make it have more friction when sliding the switch in and out of the dock.

Like this

I bought my Switch on launch day Friday and set it up when I got home that afternoon. When I put it in the dock I thought "wow, pretty snug". The screen and the back of the Switch were making contact with the dock. I didn't think anything of it and went on to continue the set up and eventually immerse myself in BOTW. That was also the last time I checked GAF.

So today I come on to see how everyone is loving and enjoying their Switch, and holy hell i see multiple threads of Switch fails, particularly Scratchgate. Apparently I learn on here that I have one of the "defective" docks in which the front slanted inwards. So the first thing I do is look for scratches on the screen and bezel. And I found nothing while looking under a bright lamp and then with a flashlight. Not even fine scratches or microabrasions. The only things on the screen were a few oily smudges from my fingers. There were no scratches on the back either. I probably inserted and removed the Switch more than 50 times over the weekend, and I wasn't even trying to baby it. A bunch of times I put it in at a slight angle and on several occasions jiggled it in the dock in the process of removing the joy cons with one hand.

Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones because I haven't experienced ANY of the issues I'm reading about. I don't plan on using a screen protector but I guess I'll try to be a bit more careful when inserting and removing from the dock.

Slaythe

My dock is bent slightly. Not as bad as the worst case.

I'm thinking a tempered glass might be enough to avoid scratches from this in my case.

I bought my Switch on launch day Friday and set it up when I got home that afternoon. When I put it in the dock I thought "wow, pretty snug". The screen and the back of the Switch were making contact with the dock. I didn't think anything of it and went on to continue the set up and eventually immerse myself in BOTW. That was also the last time I checked GAF.

So today I come on to see how everyone is loving and enjoying their Switch, and holy hell i see multiple threads of Switch fails, particularly Scratchgate. Apparently I learn on here that I have one of the "defective" docks in which the front slanted inwards. So the first thing I do is look for scratches on the screen and bezel. And I found nothing while looking under a bright lamp and then with a flashlight. Not even fine scratches or microabrasions. The only things on the screen were a few oily smudges from my fingers. There were no scratches on the back either. I probably inserted and removed the Switch more than 50 times over the weekend, and I wasn't even trying to baby it. A bunch of times I put it in at a slight angle and on several occasions jiggled it in the dock in the process of removing the joy cons with one hand.

Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones because I haven't experienced ANY of the issues I'm reading about. I don't plan on using a screen protector but I guess I'll try to be a bit more careful when inserting and removing from the dock.

Be sure that everyone will ignore this comment. All the thousands of people who are having no problems at all and no scratches are being ignored in this Switch threads of doom...

Slaythe

Be sure that everyone will ignore this comment. All the thousands of people who are having no problems at all and no scratches are being ignored in this Switch threads of doom...

Well we know how it is.

Even Iphones have hundreds of complaints.

Still, it's concerning when something that is part of the integral design of the console causes the issues for so many people.

And thousands/millions of people had no problems with their Samsung Note 7's but there was still a potential design flaw that caused problems for some users - just like this has been the case for some Switch owners.

Obviously the two are not on the same scale, but my point still stands.

Twookie

Everyone I personally know had a good stand, so the batch here in Norway seems to be of the good ones. sucks that some of you got shitty stands though :/

just to be safe I cut the plastic-like bag that the switch came in and taped that on the dock itself, I'm hoping this will make the switch extra secure from scratches. I hope I am not dumb for doing so

ViciousDS

Banned
Added an image for now. Just waiting on the Hori Stand. You can see the reflection of zelda running on my monitor on the Switch Screen.

Bought!

Is there any venting on the back of the unit? Wouldn't laying it on its back increase heat if using the extension?

I noticed rubbing after only two dockings and I fucking pin point dropped that sucker straight down. You can tell the switch hits the wall immediately on entry. Fucking dock is bowed inwards

RoadHazard

Gold Member
1. That can be used for a USB to USB - C cable to charge the Switch Pro Controller, not much other use for now.

2. You can put it to sleep if you want (If you are in a game it will suspend the game as well) and use up a bit of power so when you come back to play you can wake it up and hop right back into your game. OR you can power it down completely (It will charge both the system and the Joy-Con if they are attached either way.)

3. If it is 100% charged and the Joy-Con are 100% charged and it is in the dock with will just draw off the USB-C Power until you remove it from the docking station.

2 is part false. The Switch turned off (not sleep mode) does NOT charge the Joycon, even when docked.

Top Bottom