• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

ggx2ac

ok so are slanted docks like a really bad problem?

I don't even know yet.

I got white streaks on my Switch even though the dock was upright.

It's like we need someone with two docks where one is angled inward and two Switches so then they can test to see if there is any difference.

stoke1863

Lucky my dock is straight, I have put some foam tips on the plastic bits of the dock anyway.

No scratches so far, Also just ordered the Orzly screen protector should have it next week.

So can this just be fixed by putting some simple felt circles or something somewhere inside the dock? I mean the where are the scratches coming from inside the dock? Whats the failure point?

Edzi

So can this just be fixed by putting some simple felt circles or something somewhere inside the dock? I mean the where are the scratches coming from inside the dock? Whats the failure point?

Be wary of any do it yourself methods you find in this thread. So far, the thing I'd focus on would be a bent dock and just being careful when putting it in/out.

As crappy as this whole situation is, I don't think this is going to be affecting the vast majority of Switch owners, and thus don't expect it to really cause a big outcry and get Nintendo's attention.

branny

adding to this, during zelda gameplay, I have some very random instances of ultra screen tear, where a single screen tear runs down from the top to the bottom of the screen, while docked. It happens VERY, VERY rarely, but it worries me.

Anyone had it happen to them?
I actually just had this happen yesterday when I was playing. It was nuts! It literally sheared the entire image in half as the line slowly traveled along the screen. Never saw tearing that bizarre before lol. I think it's just the game, though.

Futaba

I don't even know yet.

I got white streaks on my Switch even though the dock was upright.

It's like we need someone with two docks where one is angled inward and two Switches so then they can test to see if there is any difference.
As I mentioned way way back when I first pointed out the bent front panel issue while trying to nail down the cause, the front being bent inwards itself won't give you scratches (unless it's so extreme that it puts pressure on the screen when inserted), it will however increase the likelihood of getting scratch because the available space to insert the console is reduced to nearly nothing at the top.

On a completely straight system there is only around 1.5 to 1.6mm of total space free with a console inserted (around 0.75mm per side) so any inwards bend decreases that available space even further, making removing and inserting the console even harder without scuffing the screen.

You could have a bent front and be a week in with no scratches but every time you dock the console (bent or not) you are risking a scratch, it's just a lot more likely wth a bent dock.

bumpkin

I gave cleaning the areas with what I presumed to be scratches from the dock a try to no avail. The smudges from the rubber pads are gone, but the scratches remain. They're thin little things, looks almost like hair. I tried like hell to take pictures of the scratches to share, but they only show up in the right light, and my cell phone camera can't seem to catch them.

I'm going to try expanding the clearance on the dock by leaving a SNES cartridge wedged in there for the next day or two. I snapped a picture of the measurement before the cart was in and after the cart is in (I had to brighten the photo with Photoshop). It's a decent amount of expansion, like 1/16 of an inch...

DockWithCart.jpg

I'll report back if it makes any difference. I'm kind of expecting the dock to just pop right back to its pre-widening size when i take the cart out, but we'll see.

ggx2ac

I gave cleaning the areas with what I presumed to be scratches from the dock a try to no avail. The smudges from the rubber pads are gone, but the scratches remain. They're thin little things, looks almost like hair. I tried like hell to take pictures of the scratches to share, but they only show up in the right light, and my cell phone camera can't seem to catch them.

Then it could be like mine, I had to use Windex Electronics Wipes to remove them because I couldn't remove them with simpler methods.

I had the same white streaks that would only be visible off reflected light, there's been at least me and one other guy that's been able to remove these marks.

Your scratches might just be marks that are hard to remove.

I saw someone say they put small screen protectors in the corners to protect the problem-area until the glass protectors came in.

I need to wait about a week.

Should I be fine putting any old DS or 3DS screen protectors on it for now, so that the dock isn't an issue? Bottom-left and bottom-right corners, correct?

bumpkin

Then it could be like mine, I had to use Windex Electronics Wipes to remove them because I couldn't remove them with simpler methods.

I had the same white streaks that would only be visible off reflected light, there's been at least me and one other guy that's been able to remove these marks.

Your scratches might just be marks that are hard to remove.
I don't know. I used a special cloth made for cleaning and polishing glass and glass-like surfaces. It's super shiny now, but the marks remain.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Couldn't someone release a third party dock in the future that allows the Switch to just sit in it traditionally?

tquinta

Neo Member
So I finally got the Switch and the dock is clearly slanted too. I applied a plastic screen protector and so far I've not noticed any considerable scratches on the protector (It's the one that come on official carrying case, which by the way is way softer than I thought).

What really scares my is the whole attaching/detaching JoyCons while the switch is docked, the thing moves like crazy.

Anyway I'm kinda bummed with the slanted dock, but I don't think it has to do with the scratches.

For you guys trying bending it out with books or heat, please do report on your success since it bothers me aesthetically.

linkboy

Couldn't someone release a third party dock in the future that allows the Switch to just sit in it traditionally?

The only thing I see preventing it would be if Nintendo has some proprietary video processing in the dock (which I don't think they do).

Outside of it not being licensed (and Nintendo voiding your warranty if it screws your Switch up), I don't see any reason why another company couldn't make one.

Edzi

Yes. I've posted numerous times about this. I swear the back gets scratched with a micro fiber cloth. Shine your phone's flash light at the back and your bound to see tons of small scratches.

I've yet to see any device that avoids this though.

coughlanio

Yes. I've posted numerous times about this. I swear the back gets scratched with a micro fiber cloth. Shine your phone's flash light at the back and your bound to see tons of small scratches.

Yeah, I have a long, super thin, hairline scratch along the back of the system, right where the plastic makes contact. Incredibly annoying to say the least.

tommyguns

I've yet to see any device that avoids this though.

I agree. However this is the first time I've noticed a device get small scratches from a micro fiber cloth. (Again noticable only under light at the proper angle) an annoyance is all.

Yeah, I have a long, super thin, hairline scratch along the back of the system, right where the plastic makes contact. Incredibly annoying to say the least.

Yeah. Mine are even from the dock. I have them all over the back. Super small micro scratches that you can see when light is shining on the switch. I have only docked mine a couple times and am just going to play in handheld mode, except for the rare occasion.

How the scratches got there? No clue. I don't lay it on any hard surface, etc etc. It's been in my hands or in a case. I have wiped it down with a micro fiber cloth though.

At this point I don't want to even use the dock.

How hard would it be to take the dock apart so I can just plug straight into the USB C port on the bottom of the Switch?

So it should be pretty apparent to everyone now that the design and implementation of this dock is pure shit.

What I don't get is this thing was not made in the last couple of months, Nintendo showed it off last fall. From the beginning most people looking at this thing probably wondered, like I did, how they were going to avoid scratching the screen and I'm sure most of us assumed Nintendo designed in some smart way to avoid it. Obviously they didn't.

How did no one in QA bring this up as an issue? How did management not notice this as a problem? Docking is the primary feature that makes this thing a hybrid and it's design is hilariously flawed in that aspect.

This shit literally makes no sense. I can sort of understand issues with the joycons sliders coming up, they are sort of complicated, but this dock is stupid, it's simple, and yet it fails at its very simple purpose of acting as the bridge to your TV without causing further problems.

Who's ass can we put to the pyre about this at Nintendo? We should organize, we should protest.

#DockGate

Beepos

Yeah this thing smudges easily so make sure you use a wipe and a safe liquid cleaner before having heart attacks.

I know some marks have taken a bit of rubbing to remove, even small speck like white dots.

Do you think retailers will do swaps if you get significant scratching?

Also, for those you unfortunately did get scratching, is it just on the sides of the unit? The dock isn't causing scratches anywhere else but the sides yes?

Xenoblade

I have scratches on the back too. Slightly annoying. Would obviously prefer if there were none, but my unit works and there's none on the screen itself so that all that matters.

Dinjoralo

So, got my switch... Docks bent inward a bit, but otherwise it's not scratched the screen, putting it in softly or more confidently.

ggx2ac

Yeah this thing smudges easily so make sure you use a wipe and a safe liquid cleaner before having heart attacks.

I know some marks have taken a bit of rubbing to remove, even small speck like white dots.

Do you think retailers will do swaps if you get significant scratching?

Also, for those you unfortunately did get scratching, is it just on the sides of the unit? The dock isn't causing scratches anywhere else but the sides yes?

That would probably be considered "wear and tear" so they wouldn't take a return. But it doesn't hurt to try and see if you can return it.

Your other option would be then to trade it in to GameStop or whatever.

From the dock, I've only had scratches on the bezel because that is where contact is made with the rails.

The pattern I've seen with most scratches here is that the scratch must happen while sliding the Switch down the dock because it is a straight line or it shifts because the Switch wasn't aligned properly.

I don't think scratches mainly occur from wobbling because there is more space at the bottom of the dock than the top. (It gets narrow at the top.)
Plus there are rubber pads at the bottom inside of the dock.

I'll repeat what I said before for anyone reading, if you want to avoid wobbling while it is docked, you just push the Switch against the back to hold it still while you go to press the power button.

Or, push the Switch against the back and press down on its side while you remove the Joy-Con from whichever side you are pressing down on.

You don't need to apply a lot of force and I don't know if it will cause scratches because it hasn't happened to me yet.

Beepos

I've docked and undocked about 10 times - initial without much care because I didn't think it would be an issue, but luckily I have no scratch marks - perhaps it really does come down to if your dock is bent or not (I have to check when I am home next).

The plus side of getting scratches is now I'm all "fuck it" and less careful. I did use my hands to try to physically bend the switch dock outwards. Mine might have been bent a little inward, but I'm not noticing it now.

dreamfall

If I place a microfiber cloth on the system in the dock, will it overheat the system? I really don't want scratches and I hate screen protectors...

packy34

So, I've had my Switch since Friday, and I've exclusively charged it via the dock. After every play session, regardless of how long or how short, I have slipped it back into the dock. I must have done this 15-20 times at this point.

I don't have any signs of scratching or damage. At first I thought everyone who was experiencing this must be shoving their Switch into the dock at mach speed or something, or at least not being very gentle with it. But now that I'm hearing about possible angled/off-center docks, I guess it makes a little more sense. Hopefully it's not too widespread.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Why are people ordering from Orzly instead of this one?

It seems like, even though back-ordered, it'll get to most of us faster.

Orzly was like 2 weeks out vs a month on amFilm for me. My Orzly got bumped up to a week. Dunno if they have stock in the US but that's where I reside and apparently it's showing up on Thursday.

ToD_

I have not tried docking my Switch yet but I did just try to see how it would fit. My dock is definitely bent inwards. It's so narrow on top that I can't dock the Switch without the rails pressing against it. Essentially it is pinching the Switch as I would slide it in. Is that normal?

I am currently attempting to widen the dock by having it open slightly wider than straight. Also applied some heat with a heat gun. I will leave it as is for 24 hours and see how it is tomorrow.

Akoi

My Orzly protector is expected from March 23- April 12th.. Feel like I made a mistake on getting that vs the amfilm one... I hope I don't scratch my screen in the meantime...

I bought some moleskin at Safeway today but I'm still hesitant to apply it to he dock and use the dock until I get my screen protector in.

Is moleskin a good option still?

Thanks!

tommyguns

My best bet moving forward I think is to find a USB c male to USB c female cable like someone did a few pages back to extend the port. That way I don't have to place the switch in its dock at all.

Beepos

Interesting to see how the Orzly protectors compare to AmFilm ones.

They are probably almost identical but it would be nice to have reports on both.

Can someone post a picture of what a bent dock looks like and what a non-bent dock looks like?

It might have already been posted, but thanks in advance. Trying to figure out where my dock stands.

b3b0p

If I had a Switch, I wouldn't even care. In fact, I would embrace it.

Use it. Don't abuse it. That's what you bought it for.

Small imperfections like this from normal use are no big deal to me. I think people are being overly critical and anal.

Maximo

If I had a Switch, I wouldn't even care. In fact, I would embrace it.

Use it. Don't abuse it. That's what you bought it for.

Small imperfections like this from normal use are no big deal to me. I think people are being overly critical and anal.

Great input im sure those that are having issues appreciate the *Use it don't abuse it*, what a idiotic statement.

Jrs3000

I'm going to try expanding the clearance on the dock by leaving a SNES cartridge wedged in there for the next day or two. I snapped a picture of the measurement before the cart was in and after the cart is in (I had to brighten the photo with Photoshop). It's a decent amount of expansion, like 1/16 of an inch...

DockWithCart.jpg

I'll report back if it makes any difference. I'm kind of expecting the dock to just pop right back to its pre-widening size when i take the cart out, but we'll see.

I'm going to try this after heating it up. Maybe it will keep.

Erekiddo

I put a screen protector on mine tonight. I hate putting screen protectors on anything, it had been years since I had done it last. My girlfriend laughs at me that I apply it in the bathroom, with shower on hot, so the steam weighs down the dust in the air.

bumpkin

Was it dry or did you use anything with it?
I used it dry as per my wife's instructions. The rag is made by a company whose products she sells called NORWEX (kind of like AVON, but for all-natural cleaning supplies).

I'm going to try this after heating it up. Maybe it will keep.
I might add that (heating it up) to what I'm doing, maybe once every 12 hours or something. I actually decided to hedge my bets a little and wedged two hard trading card protector sleeves in with the cartridge to shift it out another 1/32 of an inch.

Nerrel

I thought I had found a clever solution by cutting off a strip of the protective foam bag material the switch came wrapped in, then sticking it onto the rails on the inside of the dock. It wasn't visible from the outside, but unfortunately that small amount of material was enough that the Switch wouldn't fit back in.

I draped a microfiber cloth over the dock and it fits fine. Hopefully that's enough. It's pretty stunning that they were this negligent after everything that happened with the 3DS screens getting scratched to hell; I would say that this is much worse. The 3DS issue was a bit of a surprise, but this is just common sense; of course raw, hard plastic is going to scratch a glossy screen regularly sliding against it. They put the only rubbery padding at the bottom of the rails, which doesn't make sense to me. The very top seems to be the more logical place to put it to prevent scratching as it goes down.

Let's start taking bets as to whether this gets completely ignored or kind-of-but-not-really fixed in the next revision.

Top Bottom