• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

stuburns said:
I think if you clone the drive, and copy it to the new console, you can transfer the non-transferable saves such as Burnout.

Nope. The PS3 will format the cloned drive as soon as you insert it and you'll be back to square 1.

abrasion

Banned
Halvie said:
One would think it would be quiet.
Should be more reliable if(most likely does) include another die shrink.
Not sure on the games saves. I know some will work, and other games like SFIV won't.

Get a slim :)

Why would the reliability remain consistent when it's likely an entire board re-design, specifically to reduce cost?
Not trying to shit on the new model but my skepticism meter is sitting at cautious :/

Also I want all my saves, all my DLC, all my trophies, all my games on a new PS3 :(

theluma

abrasion said:
You're so innocent, it's so cute :(
Have you only just moved from the US to the UK? not been there very long I guess?
As a person from a fellow-rip-us-off-even-after-conversion country, I can assure you you're dreaming :(

Actually I've lived in the UK all my life. I'm just saying, it's possible. 200 is a bit low, but 220/230....you never know.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Pug said:
If the new PS3 is lowered in price in the UK from £299.99 the £249.99 it will have little impact. It needs a full £100 reduction.

Really ?

PS3 Slim @ £249 vs 360 Elite @ £229. (Taking into consideration MS is probably dropping the 'Pro')

stuburns said:
I think if you clone the drive, and copy it to the new console, you can transfer the non-transferable saves such as Burnout.

you can transfer burnout saves i back mine up all the time. it lets me copy it to my psp

when the rumours first started i was hesitant. the box looked legit, but people were so sure that the molds were just parts of a replacement case that i didn't say anything.

when the rumours persisted, i knew that it was real. i also knew that sony were struggling to get the PS3 build costs down in order to price drop, so a new PS3 system almost had to come with a price drop. why else do it?

they've been doing that 'keep the price the same but add some value' crap for way too long and it clearly wasn't working... so i couldn't see that as an option.

new reduced manufacturing cost hardware + price cut seemed like the best move for Sony, and they'd had plenty of time to work on it.

also, i've been saying for ages that sony would wait a bit longer to do a $100 price drop rather than do two $50 price drops.

the timing is very good too, just before the big games start to drop... though that's a big factor in why i probably (as a multiplatform gamer) won't be likely to get one. too many games coming out to justify rebuying a system.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
abrasion said:
Why would the reliability remain consistent when it's likely an entire board re-design, specifically to reduce cost?
Not trying to shit on the new model but my skepticism meter is sitting at cautious :/

Also I want all my saves, all my DLC, all my trophies, all my games on a new PS3 :(

They've already done significant board revisions without a discernable impact on reliability, so I wouldn't be too concerned on that front.

As for the new case... the vents on the leaked shot suggest they must be very confident about the thermal qualities of the design, because they've reduced the vents quite a lot.

theluma

Well whatever the price is in the UK, it's going to be no more than 250. Which coincidentally is the exact same as the RRP for the PSPgo.

Surely they can't do that.

iceatcs

Hmm, the first US leak look like may be right. 24th Aug isn't?
Or was it suppose launch with Madden National Egg-hand League 10?

gofreak said:
They've already done significant board revisions without a discernable impact on reliability, so I wouldn't be too concerned on that front.

As for the new case... the vents on the leaked shot suggest they must be very confident about the thermal qualities of the design, because they've reduced the vents quite a lot.

45NM heat <<<<<<<< 90NM heat.

gofreak said:

they also moved the power supply inside the PStwo a while back, with no reliability impact. their new power supply tech is really rather impressive.

abrasion

Banned
theluma said:
Actually I've lived in the UK all my life. I'm just saying, it's possible. 200 is a bit low, but 220/230....you never know.

I've lived on the internet for 10 years and in Australia all my life, trust me - we're both doomed. They love gouging us guys, let alone you guys.
It'll be 229 quid at least :/ probably 249.

Sickening but that's how it is.

Pug

lowrider007 said:
Really ?

PS3 Slim @ £249 vs 360 Elite @ £229. (Taking into consideration MS is probably dropping the 'Pro')

The 60GB 360 is £179.99 in the UK with games bundled if you look around. If they do plan to get rid of this, the mainstream model it will be replaced by the Elite at the same price, £179.99. MS will not hike to price for their best selling unit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
When does Madden release? The k-mart details line up pretty much exactly with the suggestions from analysts that they'd price cut around the launch of Madden (though with a new design of course).

Mikey Jr.

HisshouBuraiKen said:
All right gaf, I need some liveblog options here. Work has websense and banned site plus other banned site are both blocked.

eurogamer is probably your best option. I think the PS blog is also covering it.

Dragon

Banned
gofreak said:
When does Madden release? The k-mart details line up pretty much exactly with the suggestions from analysts that they'd price cut around the launch of Madden (though with a new design of course).

Madden was released last week I believe.

gofreak said:

Isn't it out? Well it is in the UK, so it's gotta be in the US.

iceatcs

gofreak said:
It's out already

noah111

Still Alive
Valkyr Junkie said:
You can go back to sleep now. K-Mart has ya covered.
:lol Just caught up with the last 9 pages I missed in my sleep, what a clusterfuck that was. Where's Mr. XBOX XBOX XBOX XBOX PS3 XBOX XBOX, wonder if he still thinks it won't be coming until a few years. :p

Seriously though, I have to say i'll be a bit surprised if it isn't announced at GC today.

Meus Renaissance said:
How about they just bundle the PSPGo with the PS3 Slim and price at £$249?
More like 399€, with an old PSP & PS3.

Doc Evils

Kaz right now:

wlrmms.gif

dolemite said:
So with the Slim at 299 and just a week away what's gonna happen to the Phats? 199 or bust?

That's a good question. I'm sure they will be filtered out of the system. You may see some good deals on them. I'm really interested to see how this plays out now.

EDIT: Can't read that translation at work. :(

dolemite said:
So with the Slim at 299 and just a week away what's gonna happen to the Phats? 199 or bust?
i hope not. cause i'll have to deal with some pretty pissed consumers if they do that! i sold a phat just last night.

ooh, i know, lets send them to Iraq for their missile defense systems.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dolemite said:

Lots of bundling I imagine, but if some places took $50 off it would be nice.

I'd guess there aren't really that many out there left, 80GBs that is. 160GBs they can still sell at a higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom