• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wondeeful 101? :p What about third party series?

I don't think W101 is anymore important than series like Golden Sun, Starfy, or Sin & Punishment, all of which haven't gotten a playable character.

Smash in general has just relied very little on second party developed franchises when it comes to playable characters. When you look at both Brawl and Smash 4, ALL of the new series repped with playable characters happen to come from Nintendo's first party studios, whether it be Nintendo EAD or Monolith Soft.

There are second party developed series in Smash, such as Kirby and Pokemon, but both of those franchises are some of the biggest and most popular series Nintendo has. Something like Wonderful 101 just doesn't compare.

As for third parties, well, besides Metal Gear, which ones are on the same level of Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter or Pac-Man?

Frofro

Banned
Rhythm Heaven is the next series in line, in terms or sales and popularity.
Splatoon, while new, is doing excellent. Inklings will surely get in smash sooner or later.
Chibi Robo has his 5th game coming out? Finally has fighting moves, and finally getting pushed by Nintendo.
Takamaru stands a great chance at being playable next time around

Other than that, thats about it in terms of new series that need reps.

Isaac stands a good chance at getting in as fan service.
Wonderful 101 is a unlikely but possible. Same with Custom Robo, Codename Steam, Starfy, S&P, and Dillon,

Dr. Buni

I don't think W101 is anymore important than series like Golden Sun, Starfy, or Sin & Punishment, all of which haven't gotten a playable character.

Smash in general has just relied very little on second party developed franchises when it comes to Smash. When you look at both Brawl and Smash 4, ALL of the new series repped with playable characters happen to come from Nintendo's first party studios, whether it be Nintendo EAD or Monolith Soft.

There are second party developed series in Smash, such as Kirby and Pokemon, but both of those franchises are some of the biggest and most popular series Nintendo has. Something like Wonderful 101 just doesn't compare.

As for third parties, well, besides Metal Gear, which ones are on the same level of Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter or Pac-Man?
I think the importance factor is often overestimated when it comes to Smash characters.

Very good point on Smash not relying too much on second party franchises. This doesn't bode well for Isaac fans, huh?

Well, there are franchises almost as popular/well known as those, like Castlevania, but there's no Castlevania character as well known as Ryu, Snake, Sonic and others, I think.

Sadly Bomberman is nowhere near as pop culture as the aforementioned characters, because I would love him in Smash.

Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are probably the only two eligible third party franchises that can stand with them, but they have the problem of not having a good single character that can properly represent their franchise and stand toe-to-toe with the other third party characters.

Neoxon

Splatoon, while new, is doing excellent. Inklings will surely get in smash sooner or later.
Chibi Robo has his 5th game coming out? Finally has fighting moves, and finally getting pushed by Nintendo.

Wonderful 101 is a unlikely but possible. Same with Custom Robo, Codename Steam, Starfy, S&P, and Dillon,
I agree with the first four, but I disagree with the rest. Again, let me just say that this is purely my opinion & mine alone. You may disagree with me & I respect that. And besides, it's Sakurai, so he may go against any of this in an instant. That being said, here goes.
  • The Wonderful 101: This franchise is in a "now or never" situation as far as Smash goes. If we get Wonder Red as DLC, it could bring some interest to the franchise that may revive it. If Wonder Red doesn't get in as DLC, the series will fade into obscurity. I say this as a fan of the franchise.
  • Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.: See The Wonderful 101, except I haven't seen as much demand for anyone from this game.
  • Custom Robo: Its time has long since passed in my eyes. The fact that we don't even have an Assist Trophy for the franchise is pretty telling.
  • Starfy: I'm honeslty not sure about him, though I don't think anything major has happened with Starfy to justify an Assist Trophy promotion in Smash 5 (I don't think he was even requested like Takamaru or Isabelle). Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
  • Sin & Punishment: See Starfy, albeit to a lesser extent.
  • Dillon: See Starfy, although I have seen some demand for Dillon.
This is purely my guess. I gave up trying to predict Sakurai's patterns (as he doesn't have any), but this is just how I personally feel about each franchise.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That's a massively unequal comparison. At least Captain Rainbow was mentioned once by a (then-)member of NoA at some point in the last two years.
Real talk, how often has anyone at Nintendo mentioned TW101 after it got released?
I hear W101 talked about a lot from GAF to SmashBoards & even the likes of Reddit, Facebook, & YouTube. The only time I hear about Captain Rainbow is from WiiFolderJosh/Josh Thomas/TheBitBlock & his discussions with RogersBase.
Both are characters from awful selling games whose fifteen minutes of fame have already passed. One just happens to be from a Japan only game.

Golnei

Splatoon and Rhythm Heaven both seem very likely; and I'd expect Chibi Robo as well if the series doesn't become dormant again.

The others would be lucky to remain as assist trophies; barring an unpredictable revival - The Wonderful 101 resurrected as a F2P Amiibo platform, for example, or a Punch-Out Wii-esque reimagining of The Mysterious Murasame Castle.

Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are probably the only two eligible third party franchises that can stand with them, but they have the problem of not having a good single character that can properly represent their franchise and stand toe-to-toe with the other third party characters.

At the risk of turning into Nintendo vs. Capcom, Resident Evil could work as well. It's still a massively successful franchise with a fair amount of presence on Nintendo platforms, with a more consistent cast of main characters - the only issue would be the realistic weaponry. Though if they went with Leon, they could justify a melee-focused moveset with some explosives - his RE4 incarnation wouldn't necessarily have to be more violent than Brawl Snake.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also just wanna make it clear guys that you can vote for whomever you want in Smash or whatever. My ballot choice was a character from an awful-selling game that got bargain bin'd in like two weeks. I just see this opinion around Wonder Red fans that he somehow is a shoe-in for the next game, and that is genuinely puzzling to me.

Dr. Buni

I think a Resident Evil rep would likely be Jill. They could just adapt MvC2 Jill to Smash and call it a day, since her moveset there is "goofy" but still represent RE fairly well.

I like Capcom a lot, so many Capcom reps don't bother me at all.

Neoxon

Also just wanna make it clear guys that you can vote for whomever you want in Smash or whatever. My ballot choice was a character from an awful-selling game that got bargain bin'd in like two weeks. I just see this opinion around Wonder Red fans that he somehow is a shoe-in for the next game, and that is genuinely puzzling to me.
Not once did I ever imply that Wonder Red was a shoe-in. It's just that this game is his only chance in my opinion.

I think a Resident Evil rep would likely be Jill. They could just adapt MvC2 Jill to Smash and call it a day, since her moveset there is "goofy" but still represent RE fairly well.

I like Capcom a lot, so many Capcom reps don't bother me at all.
If I had to choose another Capcom rep, it'd be Phoenix Wright (I'm an Ace Attorney fan, sue me). Though I do think that another Capcom character would be pushing it.

Blues1990

So is Shantae in this game yet and why not?

No, & it's because the game won't be able to handle Shantae's hip shimmies.

With that said, I'll be down with playing as the cute belly dancing genie that has a mixture of her abilities from Pirate's Curse & 1/2 Genie Hero.

Neoxon

I agree. We could use a second SEGA rep, though... As long as it isn't a Persona character or Hatsune Miku ^_^
I mean, I want Phoenix Wright to be in a game where he can potentially be a good character rather than the 2nd worst character in the game & have one of his best options patched out (huh, where did that come from). But we all can't have what we want.

Fandangox

what, almost every w101 fan here will agree that he has no chance.

Golnei

If I had to choose another Capcom rep, it'd be Phoenix Wright (I'm an Ace Attorney fan, sue me). Though I do think that another Capcom character would be pushing it.

Phoenix Wright would be fantastic as well, but the dismal treatment the Ace Attorney series has been receiving outside Japan might make things difficult. Though I agree that more Capcom characters would probably be too much for this game - maybe if the next game carries over Ryu and Megaman, it wouldn't be too offensive if another Capcom character was part of the base roster and a fourth would be DLC. Though that would probably depend on the relative size of the roster balancing things out, and at this point, it can't get much larger without balancing becoming completely impossible.

Regardless, an actual Nintendo vs. Capcom can't happen soon enough...

Drago

Splatoon and Rhythm Heaven both seem very likely; and I'd expect Chibi Robo as well if the series doesn't become dormant again.
I dunno if I'd say Chibi Robo has ever been truly dormant, at least in Japan. Longest period between entries was from 2009 to 2013, though Park Patrol and Photo Finder (hell the entire series honestly) went so far under the radar that most people probably don't even know it exists. It's had 5 entries (6 if you count the Wii remake of the original) in it's 10 years as a franchise, for a series as obscure as it is, it's nice to see it still trucking along against all odds.

Really rooting for Chibi in the next Smash. By far my most wanted newcomer. Don't see him happening as DLC though. Hopefully the series doesn't die before Smash 5 is announced :(

kirby_fox

Banned
Are you serious about Leon, Yoshimitsu and stuff? Other than Banjo & Kazooie and a Square rep, the characters you mentioned are all bizarre picks for Smash. Yes, even Sir Arthur, which would be a pretty funny/interesting addition to Smash.

I can't agree with the way you are viewing the likeness of DLC newcomers. Impa and Captain Toad being somehow more likely DLC additions than an Inkling, a representative of a popular series on Japan (Rhythm Heaven*) and King K. Rool is bizarre to me. Though it's entirely possible that these characters will be added to Smash instead of characters with more vocal fanbases, I think that would be a weird since the next DLCs are supposed to be fanservice. Also, Smash is pretty much a marketing tool for Nintendo (otherwise I doubt we would have so much new Fire Emblem content), so I think Inkling not being DLC would be weird and a huge missed opportunity.

*Just to clarify, I am not really expecting a RH DLC character, but if there's an unrepresented modern Nintendo series that I could see having a DLC playable representative (Splatoon aside), it's Rhythm Heaven.

I would argue both Leon and Yoshimitsu (or Nightmare) are well known characters for third party choices. The rest are just best selling titles like Street Fighter was, Sir Arthur would be very random to choose as his series is all but dead.

Nintendo also are really loving Mario and Zelda, and as far as high up characters go in those series it's pretty much down to Captain Toad and Impa. K Rool I just don't see happening. He's not been in a main series game for years, he's essentially a retro character, and I honestly believe this popularity is fleeting. Rhythm Heaven would be great to add to a main game, but as DLC it's hard to see it happening.

On that note though, it's really hard for me to justify any character 100% these days. There's just not a lot of choices left, which is why I fully expect veterans, another 3rd party and probably a lot of Mii costumes...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Let's be fair. Although it did flop, The Wonderful 101 has way more cult popularity than Disaster. I honestly don't get why the series gets so much hate in this thread.

A game that came out in the Americas has more cult popularity than a game that didn't? Surely you jest! (Disaster never really had any beyond the
PUNCH A BEAR
aspect)

Yet ironically a game that didn't come out in two regions, Ouendan, probably has more cult popularity than Disaster and Wonderful 101 combined.

Dr. Buni

I mean, I want Phoenix Wright to be in a game where he can potentially be a good character rather than the 2nd worst character in the game & have one of his best options patched out (huh, where did that come from). But we all can't have what we want.
He could be playable in Smash and still be bad, though
The only additional SEGA character I'll accept is Dr. Robotnik/Eggman

He's got the master plan.
Eggman would be an interesting addition, maybe he could be slightly based on Bowser Jr. Or the Smash team could go the "lazy" route and add Shadow as a 1:1 Sonic clone, or Knuckles as a harder hitting Sonic clone or Amy Rose as a half Sonic/half Dedede clone (I would main her if that happened, I dig hammer wielders).

I dunno if I'd say Chibi Robo has ever been truly dormant, at least in Japan. Longest period between entries was from 2009 to 2013, though Park Patrol and Photo Finder (hell the entire series honestly) went so far under the radar that most people probably don't even know it exists. It's had 5 entries (6 if you count the Wii remake of the original) in it's 10 years as a franchise, for a series as obscure as it is, it's nice to see it still trucking along against all odds.

Really rooting for Chibi in the next Smash. By far my most wanted newcomer. Don't see him happening as DLC though. Hopefully the series doesn't die before Smash 5 is announced :(

Someone at Nintendo must really like Chibi robo or something because that series has no business trucking along and being as active as it is.

It's such a tiny, obscure series. One of its games was a Walmart exclusive and that's a death wish to a lot of much larger franchises. And yet Chibi Robo just keeps on going.

A bit offtopic but I always hated what MVC3 (and RE5 for that matter) did to Jill. She went from a really cool and unique summoning type of character to a stupid ZSS ripoff.

Though going back to Smash, I think RE is really ill-fitting for Smash, even more so than Metal Gear. Someone like Chris Redfield really does need to use realistic weapons in order to work, and that's something Sakurai wants to avoid putting in Smash.

Frofro

Banned
I "wonder"if Wonder Red did get in the game (by some miracle) if he'd have costume DLC. He could have his 8 standard alts, and then special DLC ones, like the Bayonetta, Kamiya and Viewtiful Joe costumes.

Red has a hard time getting in at all, so costume DLC would be extremely unlikely.

Literally no idea why characters havent gotten costume DLC yet.

I don't either.

They could make huge amounts of money just redesigning some characters to look more like Melee. Fox, Falco, Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf would all have great selling Melee skins and they all have bases to work from with Star Fox 3D and Ocarina of Time 3D. Even more bonus points if Link and Ganondorf ones use OoT3D voice sounds, since they have nice high quality versions of those now and Melee just used sounds ripped right from Ocarina of Time. WAAAAAHHH-AHHHH... hehehehe.
Zelda and Sheik had lines recorded for Melee, so they can't get this bonus feature (and their actress is the same from Melee anyway).

And then there's stuff like Bass and Ninten that would make great alt-character costumes.

Even Yarn Yoshi seems like he'd work nicely as a skin.

Neoxon

I "wonder"if Wonder Red did get in the game (by some miracle) if he'd have costume DLC. He could have his 8 standard alts, and then special DLC ones, like the Bayonetta, Kamiya and Viewtiful Joe costumes.

Red has a hard time getting in at all, so costume DLC would be extremely unlikely.

Literally no idea why characters havent gotten costume DLC yet.
At most he'd get alternate colors of the other main Wonderful Ones.

kirby_fox

Banned
K. Rool's popularity fleeting?

Pffffft HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...*pauses, stares* AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *slaps knee* You serious?

There's a lot of similarities between him and Geno rising in popularity out of seemingly no where. His popularity soared all of a sudden, and likely has a lot of bandwagon fans making that happen. Bandwagon fans move on to another character eventually.

Frofro

Banned
At most he'd get alternate colors of the other main Wonderful Ones.

Do you think they'd get the Alph/Koopaling treatment, or just be pallet swaps?

If Claus didn't get a proper name from Lucas (Whos literally his twin), then I doubt it will happen for DLC. (Which doesn't even have custom moves)

Frofro

Banned
There's a lot of similarities between him and Geno rising in popularity out of seemingly no where. His popularity soared all of a sudden, and likely has a lot of bandwagon fans making that happen. Bandwagon fans move on to another character eventually.

K Rool has actually been highly requested for a while now and has only gained popularity. In the poll I'm running, which is already at 3k votes, K Rool has consistantly stayed by the top. I've been following the votes individually, and characters like Shantae and Krystal and getting a HUGE amount of fraud, but as far as K Rool, Isaac and Wolf go, their numbers are real.

Golnei

Though going back to Smash, I think RE is really ill-fitting for Smash, even more so than Metal Gear. Someone like Chris Redfield really does need to use realistic weapons in order to work, and that's something Sakurai wants to avoid putting in Smash.

Non-explosive weapons as the foundation of the entire moveset are only a necessity if you're drawing from the fixed-perspective games. RE4-5 had much more in the way of melee, and RE6 arguably focused on it even more than the firearms. And using Snake as a guide as to what weapons are acceptable in Smash, there's plenty to use - knives, stun rods, bowguns, longbows, flamethrowers, fragmentary, incendiary and flash grenades, grenade launchers (with optional acid/electric/freeze rounds), land mines, a mine launcher, C4, rocket launchers, laser cannons, even eggs. The golden one in particular would have to make some sort of appearance...

Not as DLC specifically, but I've always thought that a character set up like Bowser Jr. which allowed for multiple W101 characters instead of just Wonder Red would be the best possible version of the concept, whether alone or in a team. Maybe putting Bayonetta and Silvia alongside the characters originating in W101 would create a Voltron of obscure, unpopular franchises that could inch the resulting combination over the line to 'barely notable'.

Just expect a Wonderful 101 Mask and an outfit that reflects your Mii's favourite colour.

Realistically, that's expecting too much. Even Mii costume DLC has to sell.

kirby_fox

Banned
K Rool has actually been highly requested for a while now and has only gained popularity. In the poll I'm running, which is already at 3k votes, K Rool has consistantly stayed by the top. I've been following the votes individually, and characters like Shantae and Krystal and getting a HUGE amount of fraud, but as far as K Rool, Isaac and Wolf go, their numbers are real.

Awhile now, as in when the poll started? He was always on a list of requested characters sure but he started hitting higher numbers only after the poll started.

I think when people gave up on Ridley, they moved to K Rool. Same with Dark Samus. All the people who want a villain latched onto K Rool.

Not me. I gave up on Dark Samus and turned to Ganon.

The K Rool crowd should turn to Ganon. He's more relevant, iconic, older, and still actively being used and referenced.

Frofro

Banned
Awhile now, as in when the poll started? He was always on a list of requested characters sure but he started hitting higher numbers only after the poll started.

I think when people gave up on Ridley, they moved to K Rool. Same with Dark Samus. All the people who want a villain latched onto K Rool.

Most people who supported K Rool, always supported the three of the "Unholy trinity of Mewtwo/Ridley/ K Rool." Most vocal fans now have wanted K Rool for a while.

The thing about K Rool, fans were the least vocal about him during Smash 4s development compared to the other two. Most fans were sure Mewtwo would come back, (which he did) and for some reason fans thought Ridley was slightly more likely than K Rool.

Now that Sakurai has stressed he doesn't want to do Ridley, fans have shifted their focus to K Rool.

So sure you are right, but keep in mind most who want him now wanted him before, they just weren't as loud about K Rool before.

Not me. I gave up on Dark Samus and turned to Ganon.

The K Rool crowd should turn to Ganon. He's more relevant, iconic, older, and still actively being used and referenced.

I also feel a lot of people won't do this because they feel Ganondorf by himself is enough villain representation for now. DKC has no villain rep whatsoever, so its much easier to focus on K Rool.

The Zelda series also has an issue of "Too many villains." For example, Ghirahim, Vaati, Zant, Demise, and Skull kid. Most votes are split among these choices, whereas theres no competition for K Rool between the likes of Fredrick.

In addition, I feel more fans would rather see Ganondorf with a sword and new moveset, than the addition of Pig Ganon.

Dr. Buni

K. Rool's popularity fleeting?

Pffffft HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...*pauses, stares* AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *slaps knee* You serious?
I think so, yeah. Not only K. Rool isn't as popular as he was when he was still present in the DK series, but the same way Other M Ridley being a hazard on the Pyrosphere made a LOT of people give up on Ridley, the Mii costume seem to have had a similar effect towards K. Rool.
A bit offtopic but I always hated what MVC3 (and RE5 for that matter) did to Jill. She went from a really cool and unique summoning type of character to a stupid ZSS ripoff.
Agreed. I dislike MvC3 Jill as much as I dislike ZSS. On the other hand, MvC2 Jill is one of my favorite chars in fighting games.
I think when people gave up on Ridley, they moved to K Rool.
Nope, I moved to Inkling. I still want Dixie more than K. Rool anyways.

Juggernaut will forever be in my heart.

AWWUGH HEADCRUSH

On the subject of alternate costumes, yeah I wish Smash had more of those. Classic Palutena would be rad. Hopefully Smash 4 modding picks up soon.

Dr. Buni

I want young Samus from Other M as an alt for ZSS. Other M is garbage, but Samus looked really cool with that outfit and short hair.

The Zelda series also has an issue of "Too many villains." For example, Ghirahim, Vaati, Zant, Demise, and Skull kid. Most votes are split among these choices, whereas theres no competition for K Rool between the likes of Fredrick.

In addition, I feel more fans would rather see Ganondorf with a sword and new moveset, than the addition of Pig Ganon.
The Zelda series also has an issue of "no new comer in 15 years"

No character has gotten their entire moveset gutted and redone with something else. The closest is Pit, and even then his moves are just different animated besides his side and up special (his down special is basically the same as Brawl, but on both sides now). And even then, his moves still have the same "flavor" as his old moves, his side special even still works as a reflector as it did in Brawl.

Banking on Ganondorf ever being changed is pointless. He isn't going to be changed. Too many people really enjoy brawler Ganondorf (like me). And also a sword based moveset for Ganondorf wouldn't even consistent because he's never had a consistent moveset in his own games. A sword ignores Ocarina of Time, while he used two swords in Wind Waker. A "true" Ganondorf would probably play more similar to Mewtwo than what people claim they want. Ganondorf's origins are as a magician, way back with Agahnim and the LttP instruction manual.

The biggest change they'll make to Ganondorf is changing the rest of his normal attacks to have unique animations. It's weird Falco has more unique animations than Ganondorf.

A new Zelda villain either needs to be a one off (literally any of them work, they all have immense personality) or Ganon himself. I, personally, want the big ol' blue boar out there because we get a spear user, a magician and a big ol' piggy all wrapped in one.

Meh I hate some of the Melee skins, but that's just me.

I pretty much just want this one
3ds-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-link-adulte.jpg

Voice and all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh Link is one of the fine ones. Not a big fan of Meleedorf, Fox, Falco (ewwwwww), Falcon, and Marth. And Bowser is far superior now in looks.

Golnei

Oh Link is one of the fine ones. Not a big fan of Meleedorf, Fox, Falco (ewwwwww), Falcon, and Marth. And Bowser is far superior now in looks.

Ganondorf's actual Melee model wasn't great, but the OoT design it was derived from would be well worth revisiting.

It's a shame there's never really been a good 3D rendition of the design - even the Hyrule Warriors version tries to attempt a blocky, retro look.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why do you dislike Falco's original beak so much?

Because he looks stupid.

Falcons don't have a comically large beak, nor do pheasants. And I loathe shitty beaks in general, like they never take their time to draw a bird even in cartoonish way. The only time it works is when the body complements the large beak (see: animal crossing birds, where they actually take their time to give cartoonish birds appropriate beaks and body size), but in Falco it looks like a generic big beak on a generic bird.

Ganondorf's actual Melee model wasn't great, but the OoT design it was derived from would be well worth revisiting.

It's a shame there's never really been a good 3D rendition of the design - even the Hyrule Warriors version tries to attempt a blocky, retro look.

Now that ganondorf looks good.

I really hate the blocky pandering though. Even SFZero has that. Fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom