• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I do. Molgera's Theme is really really good.

I meant as this way, I would rather to have any stage coming back even it cost us the unique songs that were lacking in the games. I really hope that it meant good thing for some stages that we really want to see in the game.

Dr. Buni

I meant as this way, I would rather to have any stage coming back even it cost us the unique songs that were lacking in the games. I really hope that it meant good thing for some stages that we really want to see in the game.
I agree. It's just a shame to see music being neglected this way. To some people (like me), music is one of the most important aspects of a game.
But can we get a Wii U only DLC character?
Hopefully not.

Golnei

I do. Molgera's Theme is really really good.

To be fair, both are a bit unrealistic. Porting stages to the Wii U would require brand new shiny HD textures to be created, etc. Who knows if Sakurai is willing to do that.

Before thinking of porting 3DS stages to Wii U and vice-versa, I would appreciate if they would bring back other stages like Yoshi's Island 64, Mushroom Kingdom II, Great Bay, Fourside, Frigate Orpheon, etc etc.

Though unlike the Melee and Brawl stages' situations, it's highly likely that the non-model-rip 3DS stages already have higher quality source textures readily available. And even if they're ported over unchanged, they won't really be all that out of place, seeing as mostly unchanged N64 stage ports are being sold as paid DLC. Transferring stages between the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game also aren't comparable to bringing in stages from previous games - Brawl (and Melee stages which appeared in Brawl) need a modified Omega model (and various compromises to function on the 3DS); while Melee-only and 64 stages have to be imported in from scratch, with only the original graphical assets transferrable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or Fourside, since all that concern of whether the 3DS can support lots of buildings in the background/the helicopter isn't quite the problem any more.

Jawmuncher

Was really expecting a new character. Don't know why they're pushing mii fighter costumes so hard when they still can't be used online.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Was really expecting a new character. Don't know why they're pushing mii fighter costumes so hard when they still can't be used online.

Because they are easy to make. They just need to build a model. No need for new movesets, animation, balancing, palettes, etc.

JoeM86

Simple

giphy.gif

Plus not everything is about online :p

Jawmuncher

Because they are easy to make. They just need to build a model. No need for new movesets, animation, balancing, palettes, etc.

Simple

giphy.gif

Plus not everything is about online :p

Just a shame they don't put the work into character alt costumes. Even if they were a tad more. Wish there was some info on how much mii costumes really sold. Since they must not do all that bad with how many there are.

Dr. Buni

Hopefully yes

Ice Climbers
Good thing Sakurai isn't going to release system exclusive characters. Ice Climbers can come back in the next game.
Though unlike the Melee and Brawl stages' situations, it's highly likely that the non-model-rip 3DS stages already have higher quality source textures readily available. And even if they're ported over unchanged, they won't really be all that out of place, seeing as mostly unchanged N64 stage ports are being sold as paid DLC. Transferring stages between the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game also aren't comparable to bringing in stages from previous games - Brawl (and Melee stages which appeared in Brawl) need a modified Omega model (and various compromises to function on the 3DS); while Melee-only and 64 stages have to be imported in from scratch, with only the original graphical assets transferrable.
Good points. I am not bothered by the idea of 3DS stages being ported to the Wii U, it's just a shame it would give naysayers more reason to shit on the 3DS version. It's like people can't enjoy the Wii U version without shitting on the 3DS version.

Oh ok

Anyway, since Pirate Ship isn't 8 player compatible, there must have been no way it was working on the 3DS.

Pirate Ship really feels like a nice bonus DLC. Making a Wii U only DLC stage is risky, and possibly not cost effective, and yet they went ahead and brought back a popular Brawl stage to make fans happy. The lack of new music on it kind of shows me that this might have been thrown together without wanting any sort of big investment. It's not been advertised at all either.

When Sakurai said that future DLC was going to be completely fan service focused, I think it was stuff like Pirate Ship he was talking about.

Certainly, with the weight of requiring entirely new music and one remix gone from retro stages, it feels like the sky is the limit for more Brawl ports. Also they seem totally open and willing to port stages between games, and I doubt Duck Hunt will be the only one. The 3DS has a lot of retro Smash stages that have no real reason to be stuck on just one console.

Ryce

Also they seem totally open and willing to port stages between games, and I doubt Duck Hunt will be the only one.
Sakurai might just be throwing a bone to 3DS players since the Wii U version got a free Miiverse stage. Duck Hunt didn't have a stage on the 3DS version, so it made sense to port that one above all the others (I'm assuming Wii Fit Studio can't be ported for technical reasons).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sakurai might just be throwing a bone to 3DS players since the Wii U version got a free Miiverse stage. Duck Hunt didn't have a stage on the 3DS version, so it made sense to port that one above all the others (I'm assuming Wii Fit Studio can't be ported for technical reasons).

The Miiverse stage is technically a base stage that came at a later date. This was more likely due to the exclusive AoC Pirate Ship stage, but obviously charging for Duck Hunt was a bit of a tall order so they just gave it for free.

I don't expect too many free stage ports between versions though.

Good thing Sakurai isn't going to release system exclusive characters. Ice Climbers can come back in the next game.

See, that's actually a bad thing

Sorry, the 3DS can't handle ICs, never will, shouldn't mean Wii U players can't have a character that's already fucking done and ready to go

J@hranimo

Banned
See, that's actually a bad thing

Sorry, the 3DS can't handle ICs, never will, shouldn't mean Wii U players can't have a character that's already fucking done and ready to go

See...the unfortunate thing about that mindset is that if they did that, they would be ignoring the 3DS version which sold fucking better because "lol Wii U."

They'll be back in Smash 5, simple as that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Source of that. For all we know they are still a placeholder model designed for the purpose of testing them on the 3DS and Wii U and nothing more. I doubt they completed them and then thought to test them.

See...the unfortunate thing about that mindset is that if they did that, they would be ignoring the 3DS version which sold fucking better because "lol Wii U."

They'll be back in Smash 5, simple as that.

See, that mindset doesn't really make sense because the 3DS cannot have Ice Climbers.

It's not like I'm suggesting we get ICs on Wii U and sneer at 3DS fanbase. I'm suggesting that a finished, fan favorite veteran be put on at least one system and not kept out for a reason that's pretty goddamn arbitrary

I guess since Pirate Ship appears not to have run well on 3DS they should have just scrapped it instead of bringing it to at least one system?

I get the logic behind parity but the mentality of keeping Ice Climbers on the bench because "if 3DS can't have it then nobody can" is insanity.

Ice Climbers should be in at least one version of the game when their exclusion from the other is for a really unfortunate reason. Simple as that.

Edit: Don't have source atm (on mobile), but Sakurai has stated that ICs were up and running on Wii U. I'd be grateful with help on finding that quote

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Edit: Don't have source atm (on mobile), but Sakurai has stated that ICs were up and running on Wii U. I'd be grateful with help on finding that quote

It was in one of his Famitsu columns where he said they were running on the Wii U. But that doesn't mean they were complete, they could have still been using their Brawl models for example. The moment they were not running well on the 3DS it seems work on them was dropped and givien low priority for being continued on. I highly doubt they would have made all the assets first and then considered whether or not they ran on 3DS.

J@hranimo

Banned
if Orpheon comes back it won't have the Prime title screen music lol.

...Don't even joke like that man D:

See, that mindset doesn't really make sense because the 3DS cannot have Ice Climbers.

It's not like I'm suggesting we get ICs on Wii U and sneer at 3DS fanbase. I'm suggesting that a finished, fan favorite veteran be put on at least one system and not kept out for a reason that's pretty goddamn arbitrary

I guess since Pirate Ship appears not to have run well on 3DS they should have just scrapped it instead of bringing it to at least one system?

I get the logic behind parity but the mentality of keeping Ice Climbers on the bench because "if 3DS can't have it then nobody can" is insanity.

Ice Climbers should be in at least one version of the game when their exclusion from the other is for a really unfortunate reason. Simple as that.

I'm actually find with that, because like my "non-sensical" logic states ignoring one platform's version of the game that sold more software would be stupid from a business standpoint. Having an exclusive character on just Wii U would make all the 3DS only players (which still exist, I know some personally) feel like crap. I don't mean to have this talk this early but it is what it is.

Also I know what article you're talking about, he said this a bit after the Wii U version came out. They were probably playable in the Wii U version but not balanced along with the rest of the cast.

Neoxon

Here's to another month & a half of cyclical speculation. I really think Sakurai should have just spaced out Roy & Ryu to the Late July/Early August & Recent September updates respectively.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Frigate Orpheon's music selection is just Brinstar and all three Other M rips.
It will almost certainly be the same songs as it originally had, plus Pyscho Bits and maybe Brinstar Depths. Maybe Lava Fish too, as it kind of fits.

Which tbh wouldn't be a bad song list at all. Yea, we'd loose one great song, but a few Brawl stages lost some good music anyway, and Brinstar Depths is a nice song.

I believe, other than Ballad of the Goddess, the song list on Pirate Ship is exactly the same as it would have been if it was a stock stage. It basically has a bunch of songs that didn't fit Temple, but Temple has anyway, and some remixes that it would have had on it. The Zelda medley from Hyrule Castle fits so much better on this stage.

Not sure why Full Speed Ahead isn't on the stage, though.

The question that should be on everyone's mind though, is if Distant Planet gets ported to the Wii U, will it have Big Brain Academy as music.

TDLink

Here's to another month & a half of cyclical speculation. I really think Sakurai should have just spaced out Roy & Ryu to the Late July/Early August & Recent September updates respectively.

Nah that'd be stupid. Rather have the characters in one burst and get to enjoy them all for longer than have to delay them arbitrarily to please people on the Internet who "need" a character in every update.

In my opinion, they went a bit overboard with Mario Maker's songs. Some of them have no real reason to even be on the stage, they just seemed to have chucked every song from every 2D Mario that was in Smash 4.

While it's nice to have variety, it ends up feeling a little unfocused. Stuff like Mario Bros, Mario Land Underground, SMB2 Theme and all the NSMB songs don't really fit the stage all that well, as those games aren't even represented at all in Mario Maker.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nah that'd be stupid. Rather have the characters in one burst and get to enjoy them all for longer than have to delay them arbitrarily to please people on the Internet who "need" a character in every update.

I second this. I'm glad that it got those 3 characters right away.

I expect a veteran like Wolf to come out in November with some basic model of Sakurai's ballot choice around the same time to say that fighter and a few more unannounced characters are in development at the time, and will come out next year.

Star Fox Zero may be delayed, but that shouldn't stop Wolf coming out early to promote and or offer a deal with Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom