• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyeforce

Has anyone else noticed trophies appearing in matches much more frequently after the latest patch? I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but I definitely don't remember trophies dropping anywhere near that often before.

I legit wanted James Bond for Melee when I was little thanks to Goldeneye (and EA's The World Is Not Enough which really wasn't that bad), so I imagine Brosnan Bond would make the most sense. Sean Connery alt because he's iconic, Daniel Craig alt because he's the most recent.

None of this is ever happening though and the closest you'll ever get is Sakurai talking about liking Goldeneye a lot when he was asked about James Bond back on Melee's Japan-only online character suggestion thing in 1999.

Dr. Buni

Has anyone else noticed trophies appearing in matches much more frequently after the latest patch? I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but I definitely don't remember trophies dropping anywhere near that often before.
A trophy appeared in a match for the first time for me today. I didn't know it was a thing in Smash 4.

FSLink

Banned
Just playing Smash 3DS recently. I just noticed that they removed small room in Reset Bomb Forest.

The small platform with wall and ceiling which formed a small room in last phase of the stage got removed which surprised me. Did anyone reported this yet?

Regard with Reset Bomb Forest. I got same result three times that the mini room and skeleton fish didn't appeared. It was with 4 players (three friends and me)

Missed this, but it's intentional by the game, people found this out near release.
Rainbow Road is missing karts on 4 player mode, Wily Castle has the platforms missing, and some more:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2imvop/for_clarification_this_is_how_you_play_on_some/

Missed this, but it's intentional by the game, people found this out near release.
Rainbow Road is missing karts on 4 player mode, Wily Castle has the platforms missing, and some more:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2imvop/for_clarification_this_is_how_you_play_on_some/
I still don't get why Sakurai's so against a 'Hazard On/Off' switch for stages if the capability is already programmed in for multiplayer and All-Star mode regardless.

Which item?
The original proximity mine was taken from Goldeneye, and I think in Melee it and the Invisibility Cloak in the Japanese version were from Perfect Dark? Brawl on wards the mine uses a unique design and the cloak was outright removed.

Tangentially related but we absolutely would've gotten Banjo and Joanna Dark in Brawl if Rare had stuck. Sakurai clearly had no qualms with working with Rare, but the looming buyout obvious fucked over whatever further collaborations that could've happened.

1VCpGf8.png

Specifically on the Motion Sensor Bomb and Cloaking Device in Melee--the Japanese version explicitly states they come from Perfect Dark, unlike the English translation's "TOP SECRET" nonsense.

tauroxd

The original proximity mine was taken from Goldeneye, and I think in Melee it and the Invisibility Cloak in the Japanese version were from Perfect Dark? Brawl on wards the mine uses a unique design and the cloak was outright removed.

Some Smash fans apparently hope that we are getting direct in two weeks. I hope so but I'm not sure if we would hear something that soon.

Motion-Sensored Bomb (Mine)

Thanks for the answers... It would be cool to still have some Goldeneye representation :(

Zubz

Banned
I still don't get why Sakurai's so against a 'Hazard On/Off' switch for stages if the capability is already programmed in for multiplayer and All-Star mode regardless.

Tangentially related but we absolutely would've gotten Banjo and Joanna Dark in Brawl if Rare had stuck. Sakurai clearly had no qualms with working with Rare, but the looming buyout obvious fucked over whatever further collaborations that could've happened.

I don't know, either. It'd make so many stages that much better! Like, Wily Castle's a beautiful looking level with a perfect song selection! Also, reading that post, I'm again frustrated because the thing they cut to improve gameplay wasn't the innocuous platforms, but the stage-ruining Yellow Devil. All it would take is a short patch, and the game would be significantly better for... well, everyone, since it gives the option to turn off elements that many players find distracting.

And yeah, it really does suck. I still remember them saying that Rare was going to get a "boatload of trophies," too, so I guess Killer Instinct, Conker, and Battletoads would've gotten stuff, too. I'm glad Microsoft is finally starting to use Rare after a decade and a half of dormancy and/or forcing them into projects they know are destined to fail, and I know that Nintendo can't juggle all of its franchises, hence Chibi-Robo!'s fate balancing on a mediocre-looking platformer. Plus, the Smash roster would have been affected, too; we may have never gotten Marth or Roy if they'd added Banjo & Joanna, and that would mean that Fire Emblem would likely remain a Japan exclusive.

Still, it would've been nice if Rare hadn't sold themselves to Microsoft...

Bluth54

Batman got recently associated with games mostly associated with competing platforms, and while this didn't stop Snake, there are too many completely different iterations on Batman to do the character some justice. So no Batman.

I don't think the Batman and Snake situation are similar at all. Batman has had multiple games on nearly every Nintendo platform ever made, while Snake has only had a few games on Nintendo platforms and is very closely associated with the Sony systems for most people even though he is a third party character. Also the Wii U has had multiple Batman games on it, Arkham City, Arkham Origins, Lego Batman 3 and Scribblenauts Unmasked have all showed up on the Wii U and there are several Batman games on 3DS as well, while the last MGS game on a Nintendo console was on the Gamecube and a port of MGS3 on 3DS.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I still can't believe people are using the "Snake doesn't deserve to be in Smash because he has few Nintendo games" argument after nine years.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still can't believe people are using the "Snake doesn't deserve to be in Smash because he has few Nintendo games" argument after nine years.

especially when the whole thing is literally "coz Kojima asked"

then again the people who do this tend to be those people "concerned about Smash's purity"

I think they might be talking more about whether Dorf will be in the next Zelda game (may be wrong tho)

1VCpGf8.png

Specifically on the Motion Sensor Bomb and Cloaking Device in Melee--the Japanese version explicitly states they come from Perfect Dark, unlike the English translation's "TOP SECRET" nonsense.

For the record, the 64 one is from Goldeneye (and it's not the actual bomb displayed, it's the ammo icon in the bottom right):

I don't know, either. It'd make so many stages that much better! Like, Wily Castle's a beautiful looking level with a perfect song selection! Also, reading that post, I'm again frustrated because the thing they cut to improve gameplay wasn't the innocuous platforms, but the stage-ruining Yellow Devil. All it would take is a short patch, and the game would be significantly better for... well, everyone, since it gives the option to turn off elements that many players find distracting.

And yeah, it really does suck. I still remember them saying that Rare was going to get a "boatload of trophies," too, so I guess Killer Instinct, Conker, and Battletoads would've gotten stuff, too. I'm glad Microsoft is finally starting to use Rare after a decade and a half of dormancy and/or forcing them into projects they know are destined to fail, and I know that Nintendo can't juggle all of its franchises, hence Chibi-Robo!'s fate balancing on a mediocre-looking platformer. Plus, the Smash roster would have been affected, too; we may have never gotten Marth or Roy if they'd added Banjo & Joanna, and that would mean that Fire Emblem would likely remain a Japan exclusive.

Still, it would've been nice if Rare hadn't sold themselves to Microsoft...

I reckon Melee still would've stayed Rare-free if the buyout didn't happen, since it was always a bit rushed, the 'adult circumstances' were probably around even before it must've become obvious to Nintendo there was a big possibility of Rare leaving since they didn't outright own them (there's debate if they owned the BK IP at one point tho, but I don't think they did for anything else non-DK/Fox related). Most you would've gotten changed in Melee with Rare still around is the trophies they supplied staying in, and the TOP SECRET trophy nonsense being swapped out with the game those items were really from.

Don't forget Sakurai was always a huge Fire Emblem fan; Marth would've been there, Roy probably would've stayed, and dealing with the 2nd party that was Intelligent Systems (apparently Sakurai's back-up plan if they said no to Marth/Roy was Dedede or Wario?) probably meant come Brawl he'd have an easier time dealing with whatever legal mumbo jumbo (pun intended) came with getting Banjo and Joanna from Rare.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
But it's the truth.
I don't care if it's the truth or not tbh, I'm miffed by the fact that people put Smash's "sanctity" or whatever over fun or inventive ideas that have added to the appeal of series. I know plenty of people who tried Smash for the first time because of Snake, and in my case I got interested in Metal Gear because of his inclusion in Brawl.

jph139

I think that - if Nintendo had bought Rare and kept them completely - they'd have at least four or five characters at this point. We'd be debating a third Banjo rep for the Smash Ballot, we'd have Conker and Joanna Dark, and who knows what else from the last decade of IPs they might have produced under Nintendo's supervision.

It'd be a very different world is what I'm saying.

(Though it's entirely possible we'd just have Banjo and Conker and it would all be horribly underrepresented like the DK series is.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't care if it's the truth or not tbh, I'm miffed by the fact that people put Smash's "sanctity" or whatever over fun or inventive ideas that have added to the appeal of series. I know plenty of people who tried Smash for the first time because of Snake, and in my case I got interested in Metal Gear because of his inclusion in Brawl.

There is a troll quote about "Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's history and not a marketing platform" but some people take it seriously.

Honestly I like how since Brawl we got "modern" characters, or those that debuted quite recently. (Yes I know Melee started it with Roy, but not people know it and people seem to hate "new characters" more than "characters who only appeared for advertising").

Sponge

Banned
I dunno about Conker. I know they were able to make Snake work without his guns, but I feel like Conker at most would have gotten a trophy. Just thinking about how THQ had to publish the game in Europe gives me the impression Nintendo wasn't that fond of what Rare turned Conker into. I can't imagine the Pokemon Company would want Pikachu alongside a Squirrel that pisses and drinks alcohol, either.

Banjo however would have had a couple of characters by now. Threeie would have released so who knows what Sakurai could have pulled from to put in Smash. Considering Mumbo was playable in Tooie, I bet he might have had a shot getting the game. If not playable then he would have at least been an assist.

Banjo certainly would have gotten in Brawl, and Mumbo probably would have been a big fan request, with Grunty right behind him.

Joanna and Conker probably wouldn't have appeared outside of a trophy.

Sponge

Banned
Banjo certainly would have gotten in Brawl, and Mumbo probably would have been a big fan request, with Grunty right behind him.

Joanna and Conker probably wouldn't have appeared outside of a trophy.

I agree with this. Joanna might have gotten in if Perfect Dark Zero would have been released and received well on the Gamecube.

There was already PD content in Melee, Perfect Dark isn't anymore violent/mature than Metal Gear and PD2 for the GCN before getting scrapped was coming along fine. Joanna very likely would've been in Brawl, maybe alongside Snake.

Conker I agree is a really hard character to include though. What would his stage even be without immediately being too-adult but still being relevant to Bad Fur Day? No way you'd have a level that's literally a mountain of shit in Smash.

Sponge

Banned
I remember reading Pocket Tales was being pulled off shelves so kids wouldn't get confused and buy Bad Fur Day. Stuff like that is what makes me think Nintendo wouldn't have wanted Conker playable in Smash. Who knows though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Monday after the Ballot

Now begins our wait for the random tweet of Nintendo announcing their next Direct

any day now

any minute now

Neoxon

Monday after the Ballot

Now begins our wait for the random tweet of Nintendo announcing their next Direct

any day now

any minute now
Again, we just got an update. Don't expect any DLC news until November at the earliest (very late October if we're lucky).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Again, we just got an update. Don't expect any DLC news until November at the earliest (very late October if we're lucky).
I'm half expecting them to do a direct mid October announcing whomever as the next character in the next update coming at the end of the month. It's what they did with Mewtwo.

Neoxon

I'm half expecting them to do a direct mid October announcing whomever as the next character in the next update coming at the end of the month. It's what they did with Mewtwo.
It'd still be too soon after the last update. If I recall, there's usually a wait of about a month & a half in between Smash 4 updates.

Can we stop talking in absolutes

For all we know, they could announce a Direct two hours from now and reveal Shrek and Queen K. Rool. If there's one thing I've learned about Sakurai, it's that he's unpredictable.

I don't think the Batman and Snake situation are similar at all. Batman has had multiple games on nearly every Nintendo platform ever made, while Snake has only had a few games on Nintendo platforms and is very closely associated with the Sony systems for most people even though he is a third party character. Also the Wii U has had multiple Batman games on it, Arkham City, Arkham Origins, Lego Batman 3 and Scribblenauts Unmasked have all showed up on the Wii U and there are several Batman games on 3DS as well, while the last MGS game on a Nintendo console was on the Gamecube and a port of MGS3 on 3DS.

Correct, but that's just prelude to the fact there are too many drastically different Batmen (unlike Snakes which share loads of similarities), similarly to Bond (actually Bond is closer to Snake than Batman now I think about it). I mean, I completely forgot the Lego iteration until you mentioned it.

Hello.

Banned
I'm just awaiting the moment they actually acknowledge the poll has been closed and what they plan to do next.

They already did close it. At least, the Japanese ballot. It's actually the other Nintendo divisions that forgot to close their own ballots.

https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/jp/

It could be likely that any votes being cast right now are disregarded due to this oddity. It's interesting to note that the Japanese ballot seems to have special attention bias, if this is any indication.

They already did close it. At least, the Japanese ballot. It's actually the other Nintendo divisions that forgot to close their own ballots.

https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/jp/

It could be likely that any votes being cast right now are disregarded due to this oddity. It's interesting to note that the Japanese ballot seems to have special attention bias, if this is any indication.

With all due regards to fellow gamers in Japan: shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom