• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nintendo just uploaded the mii costume video to their Smash Bros account

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvyP3d4OfqI

edit : Beaten

Weird how they only did now

It's weird how slow NoA is with Mii Fighter Wave 4 Video since they already released Japanese trailer on release day.

I decided to check Smash Bros Playlist and I found this video. It's still in private for some reason.

Edited:

WkcD1jb.png

I still think it'd make more sense to hold off Inkling until you can have them as a big newcomer to headline Smash 5, unless there really is a ton of paranoia that this is Sakurai's last Smash game I guess.

I also think Wolf's all but guaranteed still, little else is going to convince me otherwise until he flat out never shows up. Going off PushDustin's 'three placeholders' guess I think Wolf/Shovel Knight/Dixie is more likely than Inkling/Shovel Knight/Dixie.

Reasons for Wolf

- Easy to implement based on Brawl's groundwork
- Even if they had to, for whatever reason, entirely remake him, he's easier to remake due to being based on Fox's body.
- Going to be more relevant in a few months than he was when Brawl was released
- Lucas and Roy, less popular vets than Wolf, returned no problem
- The voice actor will be in the studio anyway for Star Fox Zero, so new lines are no issue

Reasons against Wolf

- They just randomly decide they don't want easy money
- For whatever reason they decide not to add Wolf despite ease and popularity
- An intern spilled coffee on the hard drive with Wolf's Brawl files.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think working on veterans for downloadable characters along with newcomer would make the development much easier because they definitely could port their movesets from Brawl easily.

FUCK IT I'M HYPED NOW

Can we figure out when it was uploaded?

I don't remember it being there couple of weeks ago when I decided to watch all trailers for nostalgia. I might remember it wrong tho.

Like Mewtwo was the cut Melee rep?

...and then Roy came.

Lucas is the "people literally cried tears of joy when he was announced" character. There doesn't need to be some bizarre niche for a fan favorite to return.

SG does good translation articles but not so much character spec ones

It falls into the old trap stance that Dixie has a great great chance because relevance and Brawl, almost like GAF does a little with her and Chorus Kids, and her vs. K.Rool is a horse race they actively fuel the flames of, hence the data comparison between the two in their latest poll article

Also no chance they do not put Wolf in lol, there is no argument you can use against him that is not a huge grasp at straw

Dixie was in a fake leak pre-release, so people are still treating her like a shoe-in due to MUH RELEVANCY. News at 11. I already got my hopes up the first time, so I'm not falling for that trap again. I'm not convinced that Sakurai cares about her. I'm not convinced that Sakurai cares about the Donkey Kong series at all. The only reason why I'm still here is because Sakurai will have to acknowledge K. Rool's ballot popularity, and maybe that will translate into something. Before somebody brings up the Mii costume, I'm 99% sure that was pre-ballot.

Push's reasoning for Wolf not coming is laughable. It's the fans who have the "reps" mindset, not Sakurai.

jph139

I can see the logic for cutting Wolf from the base game - "Gee, Star Fox has been irrelevant and shitty for a while now, do we really need to keep three characters around?" - but with Zero coming out he really does seem like an obvious choice all around.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why would they make that video private though? Keep the hype in the middle ground!
The only way the same URL would be used for a new video is if the old one got deleted, and the chance that the Nintendo account got the same URL twice for the same commercial product has to be astronomically low.

I do think the decision "No More Veterans" is a real possibility. Perhaps they find out Ryu is by far the best selling DLC character and decide it's more worth it to pour everyone's efforts into making three newcomers instead of two for more bang for their buck.

And if it does come about, are we finally allowed to draw and quarter Roy fans?

"No more vets" would be entirely arbitrary and suite no real purpose. Wolf is more popular than 90% of New Comer suggestions for less work, and is even more relevant than most ballot characters.

If Lucas was the "cut Brawl vet" what does that make Mewtwo and Roy? Both cut Melee vets? Or are they allowed to have unique marketing tag lines, while Lucas and Wolf don't for some reason and have to use the same one? Despite no character in the game filling Wolf's niche of being a feral, savage humanoid that fights with teeth and claws. Charizard and Bowser are the closest, but they're monster characters.

Perhaps they find out Ryu is by far the best selling DLC character and decide it's more worth it to pour everyone's efforts into making three newcomers instead of two for more bang for their buck.
That would be strange information to pull out of Ryu's sales.

Mewtwo - Was released for free to a huge amount of people, many of which ended up just giving their codes away on the console they never play
Lucas - Wasn't really even that popular of a character in Brawl. Japan only release. Semi-clone
Roy - Only mildly popular from Melee. Japan only release. Semi-clone.

Two semi-clones and a character given out for free. Of course Ryu would sell more. Plus he comes with a stage. Had Mewtwo came with a stage and not been given out for free, I imagine his sales would be not that far off from Ryu and he was a heck of a lot more work to implement than Wolf would be.

Ryce

I don't know why everyone's suddenly pretending like Wolf isn't likely. PushDustin doesn't have inside information.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dustin made it pretty clear that Wolf not coming back was his opinion, not some kind of tip-off like Shovel Knight's situation. I don't know why you guys are egging on him because of that.

I think that Wolf's got a pretty good shot but acting like any single character is a lock is setting yourself up.
Dustin made it pretty clear that Wolf not coming back was his opinion, not some kind of tip-off like Shovel Knight's situation. I don't know why you guys are egging on him because of that.
People also post about him like he doesn't have an account here and isn't on the last page. :V

Ryce

1. Wolf
2. Popular, recognizable newcomer from an established series (I still think we're getting Dixie)
3. Unexpected newcomer from an unrepresented series

Those are my guesses.

Are we talking to a NeoGAF poster indirectly through Twitter? PushDustIn posts here, he can speak for himself.

EDIT: Also, no way was K.Rool's Mii costume done pre-ballot at random.

Jawmuncher

Just wanted to remind you all that I'm still waiting for snake and that nothing Nintendo has done has been able to fill that hole.

2. Popular, recognizable newcomer from an established series (I still think we're getting Dixie)

I think people are sleeping on Paper Mario, personally. He's been long overdue to be in Smash, they can easily port his stage from the 3DS to the Wii U, and he always manages to squeak into the top lists for ballot online polls. Plus he's a Mario character and one that is guest staring in a new game very soon.

There's even plenty of music, they don't even need to add music to add his stage, when you add all of the other Mario RPG music.

Neoxon

eowqMou.png

PushDustIn, if you're on GAF right now, maybe we can continue the chat on here. Posting stuff on Twitter is a bit limiting for me.

Jawmuncher

If I was In charge of smash it would have the best roster ever. I mean most of it would be third party. But I'd keep some Nintendo in there.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, my expectation for characters used to be two. Now it just jumped to three due to recently discovery so it would be nice if we are going to have four more characters.

He doesn't post on GAF often.

I thought he said that he would response to anyone here if they have questions for him here.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Should I send out something on Twitter to move the chat to GAF?

He will come when he have free time, I guess.

Well, Push actually made few good points about Veterans (and Wolf) so I'm going to play wait and see game to see who would get in the game. I just can't wait for Smash DLC to be over with.

javadoze

Seems a bit of a silly reason to debunk Wolf. After all, even with the new DLC we got (Ryu/Suzaku Castle/MarioMaker), they still filled out the selection with some veterans and retro stage DLC (Lucas/Roy/3 N64 stages/1 Wii stage).

If anything, adding Wolf would seem like an easy task and nicely add to whatever new/old content they're planning.

TDLink

I think people are sleeping on Paper Mario, personally. He's been long overdue to be in Smash, they can easily port his stage from the 3DS to the Wii U, and he always manages to squeak into the top lists for ballot online polls. Plus he's a Mario character and one that is guest staring in a new game very soon.

There's even plenty of music, they don't even need to add music to add his stage, when you add all of the other Mario RPG music.

Please no. We have enough Marios. I don't deny that Paper Mario could have a unique/different moveset...but I much prefer a character that isn't Mario when we already have quite a few. Plus knowing Sakurai there's always a chance he would just make him a straight clone again.

TDLink

Still think the next 3 are going to be total surprises and trying to put rules onto them is the wrong way to do it.

Well I dunno about complete surprises. Right now we have:

Highly Rumoured
Shovel Knight

Somewhat Rumoured Plus Assumed
Wolf

Somewhat Rumoured
Bomberman
King K Rool

Highly Desired (based on ballot vote discussion) But Thusfar Not Legitimately Rumoured
Bandana Dee
Banjo & Kazooie
Bayonetta
Captain Toad
Chibi-Robo
Dixie Kong
Goku*
Inklings
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)
Krystal (Star Fox)
Paper Mario
Professor Layton
Ridley**
Skull Kid
Wonder Red

Remaining Veterans
Pichu
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Snake
Ice Climbers (or Ice Climber)

*Not Originally a Video Game Character
**Too Big

Given all of that, it is highly likely that the remaining DLC characters will be pulled from this pool. A real surprise would be none of these, of course...which I find unlikely.

Neoxon

Well I dunno about complete surprises. Right now we have:

Highly Rumoured
Shovel Knight

Somewhat Rumoured Plus Assumed
Wolf

Somewhat Rumoured
King K Rool
Bomberman

Highly Desired (based on ballot vote discussion) But Thusfar Not Legitimately Rumoured
Bandana Dee
Banjo & Kazooie
Captain Toad
Chibi-Robo
Dixie Kong
Goku*
Inklings
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)
Krystal (Star Fox)
Paper Mario
Professor Layton
Ridley**
Skull Kid
Wonder Red

Remaining Veterans
Pichu
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Snake
Ice Climbers (or Ice Climber)

*Not Originally a Video Game Character
**Too Big

Given all of that, it is highly likely that the remaining DLC characters will be pulled from this pool. A real surprise would be none of these, of course...which I find unlikely.
For argument's sake in terms of likelihood, I'd remove Goku, Ridley, & Banjo-Kazooie (for obvious reasons).

TDLink

For argument's sake in terms of likelihood, I'd remove Goku, Ridley, & Banjo-Kazooie (for obvious reasons).

I agree...and I would remove Krystal and some of the Veterans for similar reasons as well. That said, I included them just to have a more comprehensive list of what is conceivably likely based on our understanding of the ballot, albeit those being the most unlikely of them.

Please no. We have enough Marios. I don't deny that Paper Mario could have a unique/different moveset...but I much prefer a character that isn't Mario when we already have quite a few. Plus knowing Sakurai there's always a chance he would just make him a straight clone again.
I can't wrap my head around how there would be any way for Paper Mario to even vaguely be a clone.

I also never really consider Mario and Paper Mario to be the same person. The series are so different, Paper Mario's personality is even different from Mario's.

TDLink

I can't wrap my head around how there would be any way for Paper Mario to even vaguely be a clone.

I also never really consider Mario and Paper Mario to be the same person. The series are so different, Paper Mario's personality is even different from Mario's.

Let me put it another way:

I can't wrap my head around how there would be any way for Ganondorf to even vaguely be a clone.

I also never really consider Captain Falcon and Ganondorf to be the same person. The series are so different, Ganondorf's personality is even different from Captain Falcon's.

And that's talking about two characters that are actually different yet still clones. Sakurai can do anything he wants. We already have 3 characters with essentially the same moves (Marth/Roy/Lucina) despite being completely different characters and all from different games. I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to do it again with Mario/Dr Mario/Paper Mario (plus Luigi if you want to count him, who while different enough now still started as a clone...I'd want Paper Mario to be further differentiated than that).

Even if Paper Mario was a completely unique character, I'd prefer another completely unique character who wasn't another Mario. Just a personal preference, I guess.

A far dumber choice from "the list" would definitely be something like Bandana Dee.

I probably go Bandana Dee > Pichu > Paper Mario > Krystal in terms of bad ideas. I'm more or less okay with all of the other possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom