• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

tsundoku

100%ed lv 7 just taking the game pretty slowly i guess.

Continually a little bit disappointed at the lack of coins hidden on the aesthetic geometry like the standalone islands you can fly over to and the "unclimbable" but totally climbable setpieces near the starts and ends of levels.

100%ing the stages as you go seems to be the way though, just as i started to get tired of the core mechanics from 6, 7 introduced the next stage of gameplay and introduces challenges that are more dangerous but considerably closer to checkpoints and shorter/faster negating the need for really long trips back after a fall

Ridley327

Doing all of the third world's levels in one sitting and getting 100% on each of them...

tenor.gif

The funny part was I was expecting the hot rocks to be the real hazard, but no, some of the orbs and especially coins that are hanging over the abyss are genuinely nefarious. The one in level 9 (you'll know!) is one of the craziest things the game has you try to figure out. But that goes to show just how much fun it is to master the controls, since nothing is impossible in this game once you understand how Noodle moves. This might be the most consistently rewarding game I've played in a while.

Dragnet

Is anyone having issues with the Quetzalcoatl trophy? I've just spent the last couple of days meticulously going through the game with a checklist, 100%ing each one, hitting the idols and finishing without dying, just finished up the last level expecting it to pop and...nothing. Does it need to be done on time trial mode or all in one sitting or something? It's the last trophy and I'm a sad noodle :(

As great as the music is, I wish it were more varied. It gets tiring hearing the same track looped and then again in the following levels.

alexbull_uk

Is anyone having issues with the Quetzalcoatl trophy? I've just spent the last couple of days meticulously going through the game with a checklist, 100%ing each one, hitting the idols and finishing without dying, just finished up the last level expecting it to pop and...nothing. Does it need to be done on time trial mode or all in one sitting or something? It's the last trophy and I'm a sad noodle :(

I'm in the exact same situation. It's my last trophy, and I just went backwards through the levels doing every one without dying... but no trophy.

My thought at the moment is that maybe you can't restart the level. Perhaps if you die, you have to quit the level completely and restart? Did you restart mid-level at all?

Continually a little bit disappointed at the lack of coins hidden on the aesthetic geometry like the standalone islands you can fly over to and the "unclimbable" but totally climbable setpieces near the starts and ends of levels.
i also climbed to the first "skull and crossbones" sign I noticed and was thoroughly disappointed there's was absolutely nothing up there.

The level design is fun, but not as fun as it could be.

Dragnet

I'm in the exact same situation. It's my last trophy, and I just went backwards through the levels doing every one without dying... but no trophy.

My thought at the moment is that maybe you can't restart the level. Perhaps if you die, you have to quit the level completely and restart? Did you restart mid-level at all?

Oh man I hope not, so tedious! I definitely restarted a lot on some of the later levels. Bummer!

Kinda surprised there aren't any time trial related trophies - the setup is there having to beat a set time and fill an icon and the designer said on Kinda Funny that there were time trial related trophies, though that may have been a bit lost in translation due to him being Dutch.

alexbull_uk

Oh man I hope not, so tedious! I definitely restarted a lot on some of the later levels. Bummer!

Kinda surprised there aren't any time trial related trophies - the setup is there having to beat a set time and fill an icon and the designer said on Kinda Funny that there were time trial related trophies, though that may have been a bit lost in translation due to him being Dutch.

I'm going back through now and doing each level in one go, so I'll report back on if that works later.

I think the time trials were a late addition seeing as though the Switch version doesn't have them. Probably why the trophies don't incorporate them.

Dragnet

I'm going back through now and doing each level in one go, so I'll report back on if that works later.

I think the time trials were a late addition seeing as though the Switch version doesn't have them. Probably why the trophies don't incorporate them.

Top work fella!

I've sent the two(!) people that have the trophy on exophase a little message asking if they can shed some light on how they got it.

Edit: Think you're onto something with the no restarts thing. Just checked the time trial leaderboards and only one of the two people who have the trophy have entered times, so it can't be that, as unlikely as it was anyway.

Was expecting more of a difficulty ramp up, but the game seems to be getting easier with each level.

I probably died 50+ times on the first level trying to get some of those coins, mainly due to fighting the controls and camera. Once you get over that hump, things get much more enjoyable and relaxing.

Second level was significantly easier to 100% and I just 100% the 3rd level in less than 10 minutes, only dying once in a kind of stupid way.

Hopefully it does get a bit more challenging than this though.

hydruxo

Was expecting more of a difficulty ramp up, but the game seems to be getting easier with each level.

I probably died 50+ times on the first level trying to get some of those coins, mainly due to fighting the controls and camera. Once you get over that hump, things get much more enjoyable and relaxing.

Second level was significantly easier to 100% and I just 100% the 3rd level in less than 10 minutes, only dying once in a kind of stupid way.

Well you're only on the 3rd level, you've got 12 more to go haha. It definitely gets harder.

Lijik

the difficulty ebbs and flows as you get used to controls and obstacles

krae_man

Coins are an extra challenge so they are hard from the get go. The difficulty ramp is more in regards to just completing the stages. If you are 100%ing the levels as you go, you are going to learn skills earlier.

ktroopa

Loving this game now, such a breath of fresh air for puzzlers. Like most i gotta have them gold coins. I was getting frustrated at one point on level 4, and that tower section with a coin at the top. Then i realised the secret to traversal is patience and go slow! Its very tempting to make dive for the coin when your close, but play it steady and you will get better. Repeat do not rush it, take some extra time to wrap another coil and you will be more stable. I barely use the grip or that bird. Tap the head and feather the slither and you will indeed move like a snake. Just remember think like a snake and you will snnnaagg those gold coins.. :)

lol.. I got the "Punished Snake" achievement for dying a lot trying to get to gold coins.

poor Noodle.. he deserved so much better.

Dragnet

An update on the Quetzalcoatl (all levels with no deaths) Trophy - it sounds like it's a buggy one, I talked to the only two people who I can find who have it and it didn't pop for them first time either. Time trial is not required, there is no penalty for using restarts midway through a level and they definitely do not need to be done in one run/consecutively.

Just gotta keep slithering away until it pops, I guess!

I'd love to see some smaller levels designed around the time trials added, I find they're only fun for the early, shorter levels. Will be cool to see some speedruns though, I've already found a few sneaky shortcuts that have dropped my times a lot, but looking at the leaderboards there must be some very creative slithering going on. We need snake ghosts!

alexbull_uk

An update on the Quetzalcoatl (all levels with no deaths) Trophy - it sounds like it's a buggy one, I talked to the only two people who I can find who have it and it didn't pop for them first time either. Time trial is not required and they both used restarts if they failed halfway through, so just keep slithering away!

Do you know if it has to be done consecutively? I've started at the hardest levels first, but now I'm worried if that's what stopped me.

Managed to finish this in a couple sittings earlier this week. It really scratched a specific puzzle platformer itch of mine where the level design and use of collectables teach and reinforce the game's unusual control scheme. The collectathon aspect in particular is always in service of strong movement mechanics and testing the player's ability rather than the other way around.

This is a type of platformer I often find to be a rarity these days and Snake Pass captures a lot of the same feelings I get from games like Grow Home and the 1996 Tomb Raider. Even now, I'm thinking of replaying it because the act of moving is so satisfying. Huge props to the design team on this.

Dragnet

Do you know if it has to be done consecutively? I've started at the hardest levels first, but now I'm worried if that's what stopped me.

Don't think so, both guys said they went back and replayed the levels from the start but the trophy popped at random times for both (level 8 and level 14), so either they thought they nailed their runs on those levels but actually hadn't or the trophy/tracking is just bugged.

Wozman23

My attempt went something like this:
I've got a bright idea, I'll play through in time trial mode. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!
I started at level 1 and worked my way to 15, in multiple sessions and with the use of restart.
I got done with level 15, waited for the trophy to pop, then it never did.
I went back through levels 1-12 in normal mode, still using restart.
The next day I tackled 13 and 14, and at the end of 14 it popped.

So I either:
Forgot I died in level 14, which I doubt.
Didn't die on my original normal mode attempt at level 15, and it can only be unlocked in normal mode, which I seriously doubt.
Or it's a bit buggy.

Dragnet

I've got a bright idea, I'll play through in time trial mode. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!
I started at level 1 and worked my way to 15, in multiple sessions and with the use of restart.

So I either:
Didn't die on my original normal mode attempt at level 15, and it can only be unlocked in normal mode, which I seriously doubt.
Or it's a bit buggy.

Oh shit, you're on gaf!

Is there any interest in a gaffer time trial contest, anyone?

alexbull_uk

Don't think so, both guys said they went back and replayed the levels from the start but the trophy popped at random times for both (level 8 and level 14), so either they thought they nailed their runs on those levels but actually hadn't or the trophy/tracking is just bugged.

So I either:
Or it's a bit buggy.

It's definitely buggy. I've done every level without dying twice now. Once with restarts, and once fresh and no trophy.

This is super annoying. It's the last one I need.

Plainsong

So after all the positive comments on this I bought it for the Switch this morning. After 7 levels I am totally in love with it. Stressful at times but so, so good.

This wouldn't be the first time Sumo released a game with glitched trophies/achievements...

I remember getting all the achievements in the 360 version of Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing in 2010 except for one achievement. The requirement for that achievement to pop? Get all the other achievements first. Never unlocked.

I think I'll wait for a bit to see if they patch the trophy.

BiggNife

This game is pretty rad and I cannot describe how satisfying it feels to climb an elaborate set of poles once you get the hang of it

As other have said, if you're getting frustrated with the controls, take a deep breath and keep trying until it clicks. It's definitely a learning curve. Think of the grip as a brake you need to use to make sharp turns.

My only real issue is the camera, which quite frankly sucks. I've had a number of instances where the camera straight-up blocked my view because of some foliage or something and I ended up having to do a section all over again. It's super frustrating because the rest of the game is really solid.

This.

Also, do this game drain battery life like hell?

Yeah, that's the other thing: This game ANNIHILATES the Switch battery. Like, considerably more than Zelda does, which is pretty surprising. Hope this isn't a trend for all UE4 games.

alexbull_uk

This wouldn't be the first time Sumo released a game with glitched trophies/achievements...

I remember getting all the achievements in the 360 version of Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing in 2010 except for one achievement. The requirement for that achievement to pop? Get all the other achievements first. Never unlocked.

I think I'll wait for a bit to see if they patch the trophy.

It's such a simple trophy too. How you can manage to mess up 'did the player die?' is pretty beyond me. Really disappointing and honestly I don't know if I'll have the energy to perfectly re-do every level for a 3rd (4th for some) time.

XaosWolf

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this, is there an environment variety?

There are 4 worlds which each have a different theme. So an environment change every 4 levels basically.

Thay are all made of stone, wood and grass over a bottomless pit though, just with that world's theme adding lots of extra water or fire and such.

The more I click with this the more I appreciate how novel it is, it can be frustrating at times but for the most part it feels very satisfying to play due to nailing the unique style of movement.

Of course the Wise OST helps as well, I'm sure some view it as Tropical Freeze esque and yeah a number of the instruments used for cartoon jungle antics are the same but I'm noticing the music here is a lot more subdued, it doesn't explode with the energy DKC would, it's got its own twist on a similar style of his.

steveovig

I bought this yesterday and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm up to level 4 and there is a particular coin in the beginning that I just couldn't get no matter how many times I tried. Just now, I finally nailed it and it felt damn good. Part of me doesn't really want to play a really frustrating game but part of me just wants to keep learning it and mastering it.

BTW, if I quit the game and come back later at the same level, will I start at the last checkpoint I was at?

The stage select theme is one of those straight up "let me just chill to this for a minute or two before actually progressing" tracks.

XaosWolf

Okay the grip function absolutely suuuuucks on moving platforms.

Currently on level 14 and Grip ability just does NOT work as it should. If anything it makes it harder to hold onto things.

Spoilering just in case but
there are platforms that raise and lower whilst rotating and then wind is blowing too. A triple whammy of forces that you would think is where the Grip button would be useful.
Instead you press it and it just makes you vibrate through any combination of coils and you slide right off regardless.

There's no slow going on this obstacle as you have very little time to get on andget a good hold, but even when you do the movement of the thing just slides you right off for no good reason.

How the hell does the grip ability function for it to seemingly give Noodle less friction when it's really needed?

BTW, if I quit the game and come back later at the same level, will I start at the last checkpoint I was at?

Unfortunately no, and it's one of the major criticisms of the game along with the amount/positioning of the checkpoints.
Though if you finish the level by just getting the 3 gatestones then it will save all the collectables you've collected. Then you can come back later and get the rest.

alexbull_uk

Okay the grip function absolutely suuuuucks on moving platforms.

Currently on level 14 and Grip ability just does NOT work as it should. If anything it makes it harder to hold onto things.

Spoilering just in case but
there are platforms that raise and lower whilst rotating and then wind is blowing too. A triple whammy of forces that you would think is where the Grip button would be useful.
Instead you press it and it just makes you vibrate through any combination of coils and you slide right off regardless.

There's no slow going on this obstacle as you have very little time to get on andget a good hold, but even when you do the movement of the thing just slides you right off for no good reason.

How the hell does the grip ability function for it to seemingly give Noodle less friction when it's really needed?

Yeah I've found the grip all but useless on my playthrough. Best advice? Move fast.

XaosWolf

Yeah I've found the grip all but useless on my playthrough. Best advice? Move fast.

God knows I'm trying. If this platform was closer to the floor it would give we more time to actually board the thing and hold on.

I'll persevere of course. If I can 100% Vexx's final level then I can definitely 100% this.

EDIT: FUCK this level. Even if the very tip of your tail gets caught in the wind then it effects Noodle's entire body.

EDIT 2: Thank fuck. Done. Never again. The wind mechanic is garbage.

Totofogo

Neo Member
I'm surprised by the amount of frustration it seems people are having with the controls. Sure they have their learning curve, but my experience with the game has been extremely rewarding thus far.

I will say that I've found myself using the grip less and less, and relying on tying Noodle into knots around bamboo joints instead a good amount of the time. Using the grip, I'd constantly find myself abusing the right trigger and overshooting.

Downhome

I love this game, but my God, I don't think I've ever had a harder time "understanding" the controls of a game more than this one. I got 100% on the very first level and that took me forever and here I am on the second and I just can not figure out how to best control Noodle. It's not the fault of the game, I know that, I absolutely blame myself 100% and accept that. It controls wonderfully, I just haven't got the hang of it yet.

I hope the Game Grumps run through this soon. I can just imagine in.

XaosWolf

Just found out that if you activate a checkpoint during the Doodle's long-ass gatestone pick up animation then it doesn't count if the animation hasn't finished.

Good thing I noticed because otherwise I would have quit playing here cos fuck going through this whole level again just for that.

EDIT: Aaaaaand done.MOST of the games is good fun and challenging, and I do want more, but the final world's gimmick is far too random to be enjoyable. Especially with the grip being pretty useless.

End game spoilers:
These skins are awesome! And yay sequel/DLC! =D

I hope the Game Grumps run through this soon. I can just imagine in.

I dunno... I think Arin might end up being some kind of idiot savant and have no issues with the controls whatsoever.

Skyzard

Banned
Just beat the story. Absolutely loved the last level. Loved the whole game!

I'm kinda sad there's no level maker for this...Custom levels with time trial support would have been something else. I was having a great time surfing the pipes with the help of the
wind
near the end, was a shame for it to get even more interesting and then be over. I like this game as much as Zelda.

In for DLC and a sequel.

Going to take my time going through the levels for missing collectibles and achievements.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do I reach this coin?

I've been trying in vain to climb up the pole on the other side, so I'm wondering if I just suck or am going about it all wrong.

Skyzard

Banned
I saw that one but thought I'd leave it, I don't think you can climb poles vertically that high up without wind.

I was going to suggest jumping off that purple platform in the distance but I noticed 3 blocks sticking out in your screenshot.

Is this possible:

Just found out that if you activate a checkpoint during the Doodle's long-ass gatestone pick up animation then it doesn't count if the animation hasn't finished.

Yep, noticed that too, should be a bug tbh.

XaosWolf

How do I reach this coin?

I've been trying in vain to climb up the pole on the other side, so I'm wondering if I just suck or am going about it all wrong.

You can get it later by jumping... err, slithering off the ledge above.

Just keep moving forward and you'll get up there eventually. The level is actually really linear.

This level has the most diabolically out of reach collectibles. =P

I actually still remember exactly where every coin is in this level too so I can help if you need it.

Top Bottom