• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

I had this pegged to pick up once I'd finished some other games. Now I have, so I picked it up tonight. I'm really disappointed. And, quite frankly, I'm offended on behalf of my pet python at how pathetic Noodle is, and disappointed with how un-snake-like the controls are. Dragging a dead weight body around with a floating head is not how snakes move. It's the exact opposite. I've handled dozens, maybe hundreds, of snakes, and the only one I've ever seen as limp and weak as this one was dying - literally dead hours later.

They picked the right name for the snake, though, I guess, because noodles are just like that. Except a noodle would be stickier. Noodle's useless body is nearly frictionless. The controls are fine - advance, aim, (weak) grip. But the physics are shit.

And the camera is the worst I've dealt with in recent memory. What a let down. This looked like it would be a fun game. But it's just an exercise in frustration.

bumpkin

Bought it last week and had a blast. Hope there's some DLC or a sequel in the works; I'd love more levels to play.
Oh man, an announcement of DLC for the Switch version (and others, obviously) during E3 would be amazing! The end of the game
did kind of open the door for another adventure after all.

Three things I wanna say about this game:

1: The controls need some more work, use that new spline animation stuff in 4.16, Sumo! They built it basically for you!

2: Game DESPERATELY needs a sequel.Sooo much potential!

3: EARTH THEME IS BEST THEME, FIGHT ME

Valahart

I'm really enjoying the game but the camera is soooooo bad. I'm on the middle of a tough challenge and it gets stuck behind a leaf. Any tips for handing it?

Sssoon. ^^
rusrs1.gif

BizzyBum

Just got 100%!

That last level was a bit tricky but honestly the hardest parts of this game are the first few hours. The controls and wonky camera take getting used to but once everything clicks the game is really great and honestly not that hard later on. Switch version was great thought it did suffer from slowdown.

Now for some DLC so I can actually use that 100% unlock.

:)

We're also part of the PSN EU deal of the week that's happening currently as well (40% off): https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/snake-pass/cid=EP3021-CUSA07443_00-SNAKEPASSPSSA001

What level is this?

Wait, did you work on this game? I'd have said something sooner in the DBDB thread if I'd known. This game was a true fucking blast to play! One of the most unique smaller games I've played and one of the very few that I've enjoyed enough to stick with. Seriously, I'd be there day one for dlc or a sequel.

I really hope it performed well for you guys because IMO games like these with a unique twist on a proven formulae that unabashedly tries to be just that without having to cram in a thousand modern hooks are refreshing these days. The game is also nothing but good vibes with that David Wise soundtrack.

Tizoc

Question to PC peeps- What has the most effect on the framerate? I knocked down Shadows to Low, but the FPS fluctuates between 30-60 still.

illusionary

Well, seeing as a Switch discount doesn't seem to be forthcoming, I've just bought the game while the PSN discount is still available (just another couple of days left, at least for the EU) - I look forward to giving it a go shortly!

Oregano

I wonder how it feels to have one of the developers of Mario to namedrop your game:
Do you have any recent favorites that you've been playing?
Motokura: Do you know Snake Pass? I did purchase it here on the E-shop, because it's not available for sale on the Japanese version of the E-shop, so I was able to switch my settings over here and buy a version of it that I could play.

bumpkin

Really like this game but at the same time the save/checkpoint system is absolutely infuriating.
I tried to abuse the system as much as I could, and backtrack to the nearest checkpoint emblem/altar as I collected more wisps/coins that I didn't want to lose.

A vague teaser for some news tomorrow was posted on Twitter a little while ago.

@Snake_Pass
Sssome news heading your way tomorrow...what could it be ���� Ssstay tuned!
My guess is either a Switch update that'll add Time Trials, or something about new levels/DLC for all platforms. Both would be awesome.

Hegarol

Seems to be the Time Trials Switch update. The latest tweet suggests its not DLC and a tweet from last Thursday says there will hopefully be news on the Switch update this week.

Can't wait to jump back into the game.

Chauzu

Snake Pass is my platformer of the decade and I can't wait to jump back in for Time Trials! Let's see if steering a snake is like learning to ride a bike and I still got it.

Any patch notes? :)
They should be dropping really soon.

EDIT: And here they are...

Nintendo Switch

TIME TRIAL AND LEADERBOARDS: Time Trial mode is now available for Nintendo Switch players. Battle it out against friends to see who can make it to the top of the leader boards with the quickest time

Steam / Windows 10

RAZER CHROMA: support for Razer Chroma Keyboards has been added

4K UI: fixed a bug where the UI was not displaying correctly on 4k monitors for PC players

STEAM: Steam version now sets to the language that Steam is set to rather than the OS of the PC

PlayStation 4

PLAYSTATION 4 AUDIO: fixed an issue where PlayStation 4 audio was unintentionally compressed

Global

TAIL GRAB: fixed a bug where Tail Grab was unreliable

TIME TRIAL: fixed a TT exploit where players could get a time of zero

TIME TRIAL: fixed an issue in Time Trial where some players could not complete the level

TIME TRIAL: fixed an issue in Time Trial that prevented the timer from not displaying correctly

LEVEL 11: fixed an issue where the ball would activate incorrectly for some players

QUETZALCOATL ACHIEVEMENT: fixed an issue with Quetzalcoatl not triggering correctly for some players. If players have previously reached the requirements, playing a level without dying again should trigger the achievement.

FLOOR IS MOLTEN ROCK ACHIEVEMENT: The Floor Is Molten Rock achievement now triggers correctly

CAMERA: fixed an issue where the camera did not move as fast as intended

LEVEL 9: fixed an issue where the camera would not move for some players making the level unplayable

TAIL GRAB: fixed an issue where Noodle would move faster than intended while Doodle was holding his tail

GAME ICONS: all platforms have updated game icons

GENERAL FIXES AND PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Ac30

Switch rumble is broken again, ugh. :/

Also minor but the new Switch icon is quite ugly compared to the original...

EDIT: Switch is also getting much warmer in HH mode

Chauzu

New game icon is disappointing to me, but other than that, I'll be doing some time trials regularly now! Been waiting for this.

J@hranimo

Banned
Nintendo Switch

CAMERA: fixed an issue where the camera did not move as fast as intended

LEVEL 9: fixed an issue where the camera would not move for some players making the level unplayable

These were two of my biggest gripes later on in the game that made the experience frustrating. Will definitely give the last few levels a test in a few hours to see the improvements. Thank you!

Rodin

Switch rumble is broken again, ugh. :/

Also minor but the new Switch icon is quite ugly compared to the original...

EDIT: Switch is also getting much warmer in HH mode
I wonder if they are using the higher portable clock now, in that case they might have bumped the resolution a bit (...or it's simply because it's summer lol)

Wonder if DF will take a quick look after they finish their E3 coverage

Varth

Did anything chance regarding snake speed? I just started again playing and it feels sooooooo slow compared to the first few hours I played wnen it released.

Ac30

Have you updated to firmware 3.0 yet?

I have yes. I didn't have a chance to play snake pass 1.0 but by broken rumble I mean I can hear the rumble modules practically screaming

I wonder if they are using the higher portable clock now, in that case they might have bumped the resolution a bit (...or it's simply because it's summer lol)

Wonder if DF will take a quick look after they finish their E3 coverage

Resolution seems to be identical in handheld and it's certainly nothing to do with room temp. performance seems marginally better though, did you guys boost the clocks, donkey?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm interested in knowing what's the delay between completing the time trail and seeing your time appearing in Leaderboards. As an example: I have 01:10:45 for the second level, but the related leaderboard still gives 01:12:61 by Supercraft as the current best time.

I have yes. I didn't have a chance to play snake pass 1.0 but by broken rumble I mean I can hear the rumble modules practically screaming

Resolution seems to be identical in handheld and it's certainly nothing to do with room temp. performance seems marginally better though, did you guys boost the clocks, donkey?

Can't say much on the performance side, but we are currently looking to fix the rumble asap.

I'm interested in knowing what's the delay between completing the time trail and seeing your time appearing in Leaderboards. As an example: I have 01:10:45 for the second level, but the related leaderboard still gives 01:12:61 by Supercraft as the current best time.

Weird. See if heading out of the level and into the menu to see if board refreshes.

Mpl90

Can't say much on the performance side, but we are currently looking to fix the rumble asap.

Weird. See if heading out of the level and into the menu to see if board refreshes.

I'll try. Strangely enough, once I finished the third level, it actually updated istantly the leaderboards, and now I'm third on there.

EDIT: Nope, it didn't work. Not even closing and opening the game again, I'm still missing from both 1st and 2nd level's leaderboards.

I'll try. Strangely enough, once I finished the third level, it actually updated istantly the leaderboards, and now I'm third on there.

EDIT: Nope, it didn't work. Not even closing and opening the game again, I'm still missing from both 1st and 2nd level's leaderboards.

Hmmm, just to make sure again, this the Switch version you're playing on, correct?

Mpl90

Hmmm, just to make sure again, this the Switch version you're playing on, correct?

Sure, playing it on Switch and with the brand new firmware already installed.

EDIT: Another point. At first, I thought it could be a problem caused by looking at the Leaderboards before trying the Time Trial mode for that specific level, since the problem appeared for the first and second level, while for the third one everything went as expected, and I didn't check theLeaderboards before playing it. But I tried the Time Trial for level 4 without checking the Leaderboards and the problem still happened.

UrbanRats

I got this on PS4 (will probably double dip on PC too, when a sale comes) and it's really a brilliant concept.

The one major gripe i have so far (didn't play that much) has to do with the camera.
Camera has to be the bane of every 3rd person game developer, but in this game it's especially crucial, because the movement of the head is relative to the camera's position.
So when you find yourself on a pole, suspended over the abyss, you'd want the camera to stay put, instead of trying to recenter itself constantly.
It doesn't help that, even bigger issue, objects in the foreground don't become trasparent, making it a real pain in the ass to get through some trickier parts.

The control scheme, as brilliant as it is, is already alien enough, to give you plenty to have to wrap (ah!) your head around, i wish i didn't have to fight with the camera and have the whole view obstructed by a palm tree.

Other than that, it's a real joy to explore around, though it's the most nerve wracking game i've played since Bloodborne.

Pokemaniac

Hmm, so I guess the leaderboards don't like the fact I used an "é" in my user name. I'm seeing "Pok??maniac" instead of "Pokémaniac". Guessing this is probably a unicode -> ASCII type of thing.

This is on Switch BTW.

Top Bottom