• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Lijik

?

I thought it was barely any harder than the previous levels.

Yeah I thought that level was in lockstep with the difficulty curve. The only thing that feels like a jump is the part where you need to throw yourself into the wind to glide across a chasm and land on a set of poles because its the first time you do something like that, but thats also kind of the last challenge so it didnt bother me too much once i got past it

TFW the only trophy you needed for platinum was "Quetzalcoatl" (aka finish all levels without dying), finally getting flawlessly through level 15 and not seeing the trophy pop......

:|

:|

:(

Read that some people have completed all levels twice and still nothing, hopefully devs are aware of this. At the least a death counter on the results screen would be nice because I have no idea which level caused the trophy to not pop.

[EDIT: Got it! (and the platinum). I think I narrowed down why it didn't pop. I "restarted" (i.e. press pause and hit the restart-button) one level after dying on spikes. Other levels I finished first try or quit out the level and reloaded it from level select each time. When I replayed that particular level (4-1) the trophy popped on the results screen. So to be better save than sorry, if you are persuing this trophy/achievement, quit out the level and reload it if you die.]

A really enjoyable experience. Music was top tier and elevated the product even more. Will double dip on possible future physical version and/or OST to support devs. All the Sumo games I played were always very polished, so that deserves to be supported.

Finally got round to starting this and it seems great but something seems very off with the resolution/screen.... it's so blurry and strange looking.
I'm playing on the switch docked and it's very distracting to play as it's really blurry.
Is there anyone else with this issue? i thought the game was going to be at least 900p docked but for some reason it looks way below that.
Does anyone else with the switch version have this issue with a blurry image?

Plum

Finally got round to starting this and it seems great but something seems very off with the resolution/screen.... it's so blurry and strange looking.
I'm playing on the switch docked and it's very distracting to play as it's really blurry.
Is there anyone else with this issue? i thought the game was going to be at least 900p docked but for some reason it looks way below that.
Does anyone else with the switch version have this issue with a blurry image?

The Switch version renders at 1200x675 which, yeah, is definitely blurry. Though the PS4 version does only render at 1536x864 so I can imagine it's a challenging game to run all around. However, Unreal Engine 4's AA does make things a lot smoother which is why the game is more blurry than it is "low res."
Source: Digital Foundry Analysis

The Switch version renders at 1200x675 which, yeah, is definitely blurry. Though the PS4 version does only render at 1536x864 so I can imagine it's a challenging game to run all around. However, Unreal Engine 4's AA does make things a lot smoother which is why the game is more blurry than it is "low res."
Source: Digital Foundry Analysis

Thanks for the reply.
Game is great so far but the blurriness is really strange to my eyes, it's so smooth/blurry that it's a little difficult to play comfortably, hopefully my eyes will adjust after while.

Plum

Thanks for the reply.
Game is great so far but the blurriness is really strange to my eyes, it's so smooth/blurry that it's a little difficult to play comfortably, hopefully my eyes will adjust after while.

No problem! And yeah, I definitely found it a bit tough on the eyes no matter the TV/monitor I played it on. You should get used to it quite quickly, about 3 or 4 levels perhaps. The game still looks good, and I'd much rather have a blurry image than one aliased to hell and back.

wouwie

Just finished the game (at 89% iirc). The last level made me realise how much i suck at this game and shattered my dream of collecting everything (i might try to complete the other levels though). But i made it to the end :)

I completely adored this game. Such a clever and unique gameplay concept with a surprising amount of depth (i'd love to see how skilled players go through these levels), great graphics and design and a superb soundtrack (the waterworld theme is so wonderful). It's fun, fresh and cheerful. Games like this are the reason i still play in the first place.

There were some issues though: the camera was getting in the way sometimes and the slithering didn't always seem to result in a speed increase. Also, it would have been nice if the game saved at checkpoints so that the player could quit and restart playing from that checkpoint. Some levels took quite sometime so an option to save and quit would have been my number one request.

This is my favourite game of the year so far and one that i will think back to with fond memories.

Salty Hippo

Coming off of Yooka-Laylee I must say this game is truly something special. Loving every second of it. Just checked steamspy though, it's sitting at 6k owners. It made me sick to my stomach. I hope the console versions are doing better.

Cerium

Coming off of Yooka-Laylee I must say this game is truly something special. Loving every second of it. Just checked steamspy though, it's sitting at 6k owners. It made me sick to my stomach. I hope the console versions are doing better.

It topped the eShop carts for a few straight weeks and the devs have said they're very pleased with the Switch sales numbers.

I'm still trying to decide to buy Snake Pass or not.

And which system for (XB1/SWITCH/PS4 Pro).

But Arlo's Snake Pass review popped up in my YouTube Feed. He seems to feel the controls are almost broken? I dunno, he seemed to dislike the game quite a bit.
The controls aren't broken, but they are quite innovative and require learning/mastering.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I can't decide on whether or not to buy it on Switch (for portable) or Steam (for high res & framerate).

bumpkin

But Arlo's Snake Pass review popped up in my YouTube Feed. He seems to feel the controls are almost broken? I dunno, he seemed to dislike the game quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcYgotCEJzI&t=5s
I don't know who Arlo is, but I completely disagree. The controls have a learning curve, but it's rewarding when they start to click. The game has loads of charm and challenge. It's easily my favorite indie game on the Switch right now.

Dremorak

Banned

I'm at 50% complete on switch version right now. The controls are far from broken. They are unconventional and require a bit of adjusting to, but once you get the hang of it they work very well.

Edit: In almost all the gameplay in the video he is holding the trigger to move forward constantly which is his first mistake... also looks like hes not using the grip button at all.

gunstarhero

A lot of people will likely say Switch, but I have to admit the PS4Pro version is AMAZING looking in 4k - it's a huge step up visually from the Switch version. Well worth the lack of portability IMO.

I love my Switch - but this game is gorgeous in 4K.

Lijik

[EDIT: Got it! (and the platinum). I think I narrowed down why it didn't pop. I "restarted" (i.e. press pause and hit the restart-button) one level after dying on spikes. Other levels I finished first try or quit out the level and reloaded it from level select each time. When I replayed that particular level (4-1) the trophy popped on the results screen. So to be better save than sorry, if you are persuing this trophy/achievement, quit out the level and reload it if you die.]

thanks for this! i was going to wait for a patch to address this achievement before replaying everything again, but I'll give it a go with this in mind and see how it goes

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do I need to collect everything in every level to unlock all the worlds or whatever? I'm enjoying just doing the main objective and ignoring all the collectibles right now. The controls aren't bad, but the physics + camera are a bit annoying.

J@hranimo

Banned

Disagree with Arlo here. The controls work well, although it's the camera that slowly becomes more of an issue the farther you get in the game. It's a novel idea with great level design and music.

Ultimately if you're going to consider the game ask yourself this:

Do you care about graphics and performance? go PS4 Pro

Do you care about portability? go Switch

Read that some people have completed all levels twice and still nothing, hopefully devs are aware of this. At the least a death counter on the results screen would be nice because I have no idea which level caused the trophy to not pop.

Yeah we are. Again, appreciate everyone letting us know via here and other avenues as well! Glad you were able to get the trophy eventually!

Do I need to collect everything in every level to unlock all the worlds or whatever? I'm enjoying just doing the main objective and ignoring all the collectibles right now. The controls aren't bad, but the physics + camera are a bit annoying.

All you need to do to complete a level is gather the three keystones. Everything else is optional. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
All you need to do to complete a level is gather the three keystones. Everything else is optional. :)

Super - thanks! The wandering around and exploring for goodies is a lot of fun. Good to know that I don't have to get everything on every level to enjoy the full package!

ktroopa

100% completed. Really enjoyed it and look forward to DLC. Last level is not that bad once you accept the camera is pure shit. Hope the devs give it some attention, otherwise fantastic little game.

i got all the gems on level 14 and went to the end portal and the bird did its thing but.... nothing happened. I checked again and for sure had all 3 but the pillars didnt raise and the portal didnt work. Had to restart the level but dont really feel like re doing all that, might try again in a week or so. Kinda lame :/

I did stop mid level and put the game in rest mode for an extended amount of time, maybe that fucked it up

I think I'm giving up on the game today. I love the music and the setting and the characters (and the whole idea of it, really), but having to fight the camera and controls sucks the joy out of everything. I'm glad they tried to do something different, but at the same time the control scheme they settled on really blows. I hope they find a better way for the sequel (if there is one.)

Zukkoyaki

Coming off of Yooka-Laylee I must say this game is truly something special.
I will definitely echo this statement.

While I don't dislike Yooka-Laylee, it's definitely disappointing so far. Snake Pass came out of nowhere and simultaneously scratched my itch for a great 3D platformer game while also being incredibly unique and innovative. It's such a lovely game.

pswii60

Is this game wife-friendly?

And before you all leap on me for being sexist, it is she who must be obeyed who asked the question. My wife loves platformers (mostly 2D) but is concerned by the controls and camera issues, because it makes her think of FPS games which she can't control to save her life.

And before you all leap on me for being sexist, it is she who must be obeyed who asked the question. My wife loves platformers (mostly 2D) but is concerned by the controls and camera issues, because it makes her think of FPS games which she can't control to save her life.

"Is this game beginner friendly?", "is this game easy to control?" "has this game a short learning curve?" etc All of these seems more appropiate.

The controls are a little hard to master and the game could be break-control inducing but the sense of reward is great.

I'd say XB1 version as it's Xbox Play Anywhere. It's great switching between the console and PC depending on the home use circumstances.

pswii60

"Is this game beginner friendly?", "is this game easy to control?" "has this game a short learning curve?" etc All of these seems more appropiate.
That isn't what she asked though.
The controls are a little hard to master and the game could be break-control inducing but the sense of reward is great.
Thanks for this, I fear she'll get a little too frustrated and give up unless the sense of reward becomes obvious early on (based on experience of things being thrown across the room). I may still dip though as I might play it myself.

bumpkin

It has a learning curve, but I would not say it's remotely close to an FPS in terms of the difficulty of getting a handle on the controls. It's just about getting a feel for Noodle's limits and how to make his locomotion work in your favor. There are some tough-to-traverse sections, but I never felt as though it was unfair. When I fell off a ledge or into a pit, most of the time I knew I screwed up; I didn't feel like the game was playing dirty.

bede-x

Coming off of Yooka-Laylee I must say this game is truly something special.

I feel the opposite. Just started this and so my opinion might change, but the movement here already annoys me. The fact that you have to move left and right constantly to move forward just doesn't make for a very good feel. I keep wishing it was a normal platformer like YL, as I did when I played Grow Home.

Love the style, music, vibe.. Everything but the actual gameplay which feels gimmicky. It looks lovely though.

Keep playing.

Also I'd say it's innovative (featuring new or original methods) rather than a gimmick (a trick intended to attract attention or publicity)

Kindekuma

Banned
Started playing today and got midway through the second world. I adore the game, it's brilliant concept wise. A little frustrating but in a good way in my opinion. Let's see how that goes later on. Camera is a bit wonky however. But so far the visual design, music, and level lay out are all superb. Got to try it out for a bit on PC, so that what got me to get it on Switch.

Wozman23

SSSTATS:
C-1NSqTW0AEwu6T.jpg

WillAble

Neo Member
Just finished the game (100%). Deceptively hard at times, but you definitely come away from this game feeling like you've mastered it. Great overall experience, especially considering the price point.

Level 6 is doing my head in. There's a bit at the end where you have 2 structures to climb and I keep falling off the second meaning that i have to keep redoing it. So tempted to quit. Shitty camera makes it harder than it should be.

Has anyone else had trouble triggering the mechanism to obtain the yellow gem in level 11?

I pulled the Switch first, which triggered the minicut to show the ball not releasing. Then I set all the parts to their correct positions but when I pull the Switch nothing happens.

I have everything else on the level, I really don't want to have to do it all again. Had a quick search and couldn't find any mentions of it online so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Switch version fully updated.

It's been mentioned earlier on this thread. Developer said they are looking into it. Somebody moved the ball manually with the snake. Others tried the switches again and again.

Oregano

I just did that level and luckily didn't have any issues... Weird.

At this point I'm gonna clear the stage but definitely not 100% it. Already got my money's worth though.

Knocking the ball off of the rail completely forced it to respawn and then the switch worked.

Thanks again for the help. You saved me a lot of frustration, I wouldn't have thought of moving the ball I was trying to mess with the mechanisms.

bumpkin

It's been mentioned earlier on this thread. Developer said they are looking into it. Somebody moved the ball manually with the snake. Others tried the switches again and again.
That was what I did the first time. When I replayed the stage to finish getting the coins, I got the ball down the way the designers intended. It's kind of a catch 22 where you can get the ball out without using the mechanisms, but if you trigger them in the right order, it all works.

Top Bottom