• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got one! Walpole MA Walmart supercenter got 4 early this morning around 6. I went in and they were still in back. Guy came out with all the new game merchandise and sitting on the back of the trolley were the Switchs. Aaaah it feels good to be free. They should have a couple left if anyone is in the area.

So I saw your post about an hour after, texted my friend who lives in Walpole, and he was able to grab me the last one. I love you. (and my friend, thank God he's an morning person and had the day off).

If there's a "shit ton of proof," post some of it please.

Also, I've read the book you mention and I don't recall the section or passage about purposely undershipping to increase demand. Can you find an excerpt?

I would agree with you that Nintendo is conservative and bad at predicting demand. But I don't believe they have ever purposely shipped less of a product than they thought they could sell SOLELY to introduce artificial scarcity and increase demand.

If Nintendo didn't do it with basically every piece of hardware they've sold in 20+ years noone would say it.

They 100% use scarcity to drive free press.

It's smart, I can't tell you how many people I know bought a wii or nes mini and barely used it just because "it's hard to find but they had it in the store!" months after launch.

For every frustrated gamer who bails or waits a year there are dozens of people who aren't as knowledgeable who get suckered by this tactic.

Toy, sneaker, and fashion companies have been using this tactic for decade as well, this is nothing new.

TS-08

If Nintendo didn't do it with basically every piece of hardware they've sold in 20+ years noone would say it.

They 100% use scarcity to drive free press.

It's smart, I can't tell you how many people I know bought a wii or nes mini and barely used it just because "it's hard to find but they had it in the store!" months after launch.

For every frustrated gamer who bails or waits a year there are dozens of people who aren't as knowledgeable who get suckered by this tactic.

Toy, sneaker, and fashion companies have been using this tactic for decade as well, this is nothing new.

I guess someone should tell Sony and Microsoft about this wondrous method.

TDLink

For those who cant find the Neon switch, why don't you just buy the grey and invest in your neon controls later when you need 2 more controllers and there's your neon.

I don't see myself needing to buy more Joy Cons. I'll probably grab a Pro Controller and that's it. I'm old enough where I'm no longer in situations where I'll be playing locally with more than 1 other person very frequently, if ever.

Just walked into GameStop for something else and they had one. Bought it even though I'm not sure I want one. Will probably give it to my kids for Christmas, and if supply will be short, might as well grab it while it's there.

I guess someone should tell Sony and Microsoft about this wondrous method.

I'm sure they know, and have probably used the strategy from time to time to a lesser extent especially with their more niche pieces of hardware.

Hell Sony lied about Ps3's being sold out everywhere to try and drive hype. Noone remembers Tretton saying he would give you 1000$ if you found a ps3 on a shelf and social media was just pictures of Ps3 towers at best buy/gamestop etc?

Just walked into GameStop for something else and they had one. Bought it even though I'm not sure I want one. Will probably give it to my kids for Christmas, and if supply will be short, might as well grab it while it's there.

Nothing wrong with that.

Just a crystal clear perfect example of why the hype of understocking items is super worth it for Nintendo.

Futureman

I'm sure they know, and have probably used the strategy from time to time to a lesser extent especially with their more niche pieces of hardware.

Hell Sony lied about Ps3's being sold out everywhere to try and drive hype. Noone remembers Tretton saying he would give you 1000$ if you found a ps3 on a shelf and social media was just pictures of Ps3 towers at best buy/gamestop etc?

wasn't Nintendo producing like 1 million Wiis per month at one point? The argument is silly. They DO take a conservative approach to stock but it's not some sinister sales tactic IMO.

wasn't Nintendo producing like 1 million Wiis per month at one point? The argument is silly. They DO take a conservative approach to stock but it's not some sinister sales tactic IMO.

1. It's not sinister, it's an entertainment item. They aren't doing this with food/water during an emergency or important medications.

2. The scale doesn't matter, the tactic could be applied to a huge item like the wii or a niche item like the NES mini. They time deliveries to try and best capitalize and continue the hype. Noone was asserting they didn't make alot of wiis, what matters is the consistentcu and schedule of the resupplies to continue the cycle. By giving retailers jack shit in terms of information people wound themselves into a frenzy looking for wiis which only spread the hype to other people.

chekhonte

yeah the nintendo "less is more" thing is kind of bunk.

People really exaggerate how they don't produce enough hardware to artificially drive up demand but with the exception of the NES, the Wii and now the Switch every other piece Nintendo hardware has been widely available like the SNES, N64, GameCube, Gameboy of every Type, GBA, DS, 3DS. None of those consoles had stock shortages that lasted much after launch being no different than other consoles.

Got a gray one off Amazon earlier this afternoon. Should be here Sunday. I'm going to check Toys R Us tomorrow morning to see if they get Neons. If they do, I'll sell the gray one.

People really exaggerate how they don't produce enough hardware to artificially drive up demand but with the exception of the NES, the Wii and now the Switch every other piece Nintendo hardware has been widely available like the SNES, N64, GameCube, Gameboy of every Type, GBA, DS, 3DS. None of those consoles had stock shortages that lasted much after launch being no different than other consoles.

Scalping the bolded systems basically paid for my car in highschool and a spring break vacation my freshmen year of college so maybe my area is just full of Nintendo fans. Hell even the WiiU had scalpers month 1.

Tubie

I can't believe the pro controller will end up being harder to find than the Switch itself lol.

Nintendo must be making ridiculous $$$ on all the accessories they seem to be selling for this, and I'm sure at a huge profit.

Rainer70

I originally wanted a neon, but I figured if I wanted to ever bring it to work, the gray wouldn't stand out as much. Happy with my decision.

So I saw your post about an hour after, texted my friend who lives in Walpole, and he was able to grab me the last one. I love you. (and my friend, thank God he's an morning person and had the day off).

Sweet! Glad I could help someone, but I cannot return your amorous affections as I am, sadly, already married.
:p She was the one who bought me mine.

Bullshit. I guess the earth is flat too since I can drop a ball on my floor and it doesn't roll in either direction. C'mon, son.

I don't know why you're refusing to believe this. Here' s a post from the last page who bought one just because it's rare.

The Greek Freak gets it.

1. It's not sinister, it's an entertainment item. They aren't doing this with food/water during an emergency or important medications.

2. The scale doesn't matter, the tactic could be applied to a huge item like the wii or a niche item like the NES mini. They time deliveries to try and best capitalize and continue the hype. Noone was asserting they didn't make alot of wiis, what matters is the consistentcy and schedule of the resupplies to continue the cycle. By giving retailers jack shit in terms of information people wound themselves into a frenzy looking for wiis which only spread the hype to other people.

Nintendo isn't the only company who does this. I'm not sure why you guys keep refusing to believe it.

2. The scale doesn't matter, the tactic could be applied to a huge item like the wii or a niche item like the NES mini. They time deliveries to try and best capitalize and continue the hype. Noone was asserting they didn't make alot of wiis, what matters is the consistentcu and schedule of the resupplies to continue the cycle. By giving retailers jack shit in terms of information people wound themselves into a frenzy looking for wiis which only spread the hype to other people.
I would say "inconsistent and unclear shipments" is a whole other ball of wax than "manufactured scarcity". Anyway, we're 3 weeks from launch and there've been several shipments. It's not like they're dropping them one random day a month.

Ottaro

i got to a gamestop 40 minutes after an istocknow update saying they had one. A guy was already there buying it when I walked in. It was neon too!

The hunt sucks.

Menitta

For the past week, it's seemed that Gamestop has only had those bundles to offer. I bit the bullet and bought one with Zelda, Snipperclips, Shovel Knight, and Fast RMX. From what I understand, this specific bundle just started being offered today.

Luke_Wal

Here's my new frustrating fact: can't find a set of Neon Joy-Cons ANYWHERE. I would love to get them from Best Buy (Rewars Certificates), but it's so frustrating.

PSFan

Bullshit. I guess the earth is flat too since I can drop a ball on my floor and it doesn't roll in either direction. C'mon, son.

I don't know why you're refusing to believe this. Here' s a post from the last page who bought one just because it's rare.

The Greek Freak gets it.

Nintendo isn't the only company who does this. I'm not sure why you guys keep refusing to believe it.

Well, if it is true, you only have to blame the rubes and sheep that fall for it with every time new hardware releases. They run right out and pitch their tents in front of Best Buy or Target because they just don't have patience.

People need to wise up and realize they don't need it ASAP and control themselves. This would not only send a big "fuck you and your shady tactics" to Nintendo but it would also curb scalpers as well.

inner-G

Banned
Anyone in Denver CO area have any luck finding one in stores today?

Try one of these:

XuxpRss.png

SeZMehK

There is 10+ gray units at the walmart at green acres mall in long island, ny. I just got one. They've had the stock since this morning. Go!

Mega

Banned
They also only had 2 copies of Zelda left which I also picked the second to last one, almost literally 1:1 attach rate lol. The accessories section was barren, almost like when a storm is about to hit and people clean out supermarket shelves. I asked one of the employees in the gaming section if they got any Pro controllers at all with this new batch of Switch units and he said no.

I was looking for a travel case and the accessories situation is grim everywhere I've gone. Best Buy, Gamestop, Nintendo NY store... all picked clean. I have only seen gray JoyCon packs and the occasional standalone red or blue Joycon. I settled on a generic $10 travel case that a few vendors are selling on Amazon and got it earlier this week. It's pretty nice, nothing fancy and gets the job done.

inner-G

Banned
How reliable is that spreadsheet because it looks like theres Switches everywhere according to it

Idk, it seemed to be pretty accurate yesterday when the UPS trucks were hitting stores. It's not instant though, it's manually updated, so places won't automatically drop off when they sell out

If people were there waiting on the shipment or something though, they're instantly gone (Probably close to instantly gone anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom