• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll tell you how frickin bad it is. Just got a Switch from Argos by Reserve it 2 days ago (it is now sold out btw), but guess what? Zelda and Bomberman are nowhere to be found. How can Bomberman be out of stock?

Dermee

Neo Member
Sitting alone outside my local target in MN, they open in 15 minutes. A woman just opened the door and asked what I was waiting for, I said it sounds like they have switches in stock- she said they have 1... and that I got it.

It's not that complicated, if you want exact numbers go pay a marketing research firm. All this takes is common sense and reading this thread.

This thread is full of examples of people who bought one despite being on the fence because they were hard to find.

This thread is also full of people who will buy one no matter how long it takes to find one.

They don't lose basically any sales by doing this, and drive news stories/hype around the product.

It's been explained time and time again other companies (especially toy companies) do use this tactic especially in the run up to the holidays, but not every company follows this path because they have different goals or sales philosophies.

People defending Nintendo as if they are defending their family and as if pointing out this tactic is somehow calling Nintendo evil is continually hilarious.

People in this thread are not at all indicative of the wider market out there. People will lose interest if they are not able to find the system. There are so many products that compete for attention.

People in this thread are not at all indicative of the wider market out there. People will lose interest if they are not able to find the system. There are so many products that compete for attention.

They better have stock for mk8d cause this will make those people regain interest.

entremet

Possibly, but this is a pretty unique product.

Moreover, most people already know that the gaming experiences on tablets/iphones are a bit a shit by now.

got one @ target this morning.

was just a mother and her son there.

Apparently they'd been checking every day they knew target was getting shipments.. and they finally hit paydirt today.

Told the kid "you're lucky, ya know.. most parents wouldn't do this"

Ottaro

I drove to another TRU and they apparently have 20, with only about six people in line so far.

Im glad I made the drive down to this one.

TheContact

Woot got one at a non super center Walmart. After going to 4 different stores this morning, all of them being sold out, I took a random shot in the dark and called a Walmart in Fairhaven MA and they had 2. 15 min later I was there and still had 2 in stock. Got one and Zelda. Thank god

SteveWD40

Each Grainger Games in the UK should be getting "a handfull" each next week. For £20 you can reserve one. They had been getting them individually this week: "had one in this morning but it was reserved".

Royce McCutcheon

9dumwc1.jpg

Don't think I'm getting one

jacobeid

Banned
got one @ target this morning.

was just a mother and her son there.

Apparently they'd been checking every day they knew target was getting shipments.. and they finally hit paydirt today.

Told the kid "you're lucky, ya know.. most parents wouldn't do this"

My dad went straight from a music gig to wait in line to get me a Nintendo Gamecube on the night of launch. I was ten years old. Instead of giving me one present a night like normal for Hanukah, I remember I got the gamecube, case, memory card, extra controller, Luigi's Mansion, and Rogue Squadron all on night one.

My dad is still the best. I got him to play Fast RMX and Snipperclips with me last week :)

I also thanked him for doing that. I still have (and play) the gamecube. You're right, most parents would not do that. We're lucky!

gogogow

I don't get it as there is one game out for it. Plus there are shipments hitting stores at least once a week. I've also seen Zelda in stock at 4 different store around me in So Cal.

There's one big game out for the system, for now, but that's what we call a system seller.

Neoxon

I don't even know why I want one. Pokémon won't be out for another year or two lol.
Maybe sooner than that if Eurogamer is on the money.

On-topic, stuff like this makes me thankful that I pre-ordered my Switch when I did. Either way, I wish everyone in this thread (in line at TRU or otherwise) the best of luck in getting a Switch.

Negator

Was stupid to think I could get a switch at toys r us.

Im just gonna wait until stock is available online. Im getting too old for this bullshit.

Maybe sooner than that if Eurogamer is on the money.

On-topic, stuff like this makes me thankful that I pre-ordered my Switch when I did. Either way, I wish everyone in this thread (in line at TRU or otherwise) the best of luck in getting a Switch.

Funny thing is I canceled my preorder and now the hype has really gotten to me

Anecdotal, but I asked a bunch of people (mostly moms) on Facebook if there was interest in buying a Switch since I have an extra. I got one reply:

"What is it lol"?

Sigh.

If anyone here in the US is interested in buying a new gray Switch at cost ($325) + shipping let me know. I'm supposed to get it from Amazon on Thursday. Otherwise I'll just cancel the order.

I don't get it as there is one game out for it. Plus there are shipments hitting stores at least once a week. I've also seen Zelda in stock at 4 different store around me in So Cal.

Zelda is obviously the biggest sales driver now but I think some people don't realize how impressive the actual Switch hardware is to people. My friend set his up on a table at a bar last week and everyone was really impressed how you can remove the joy cons and play two player. Random people were coming to look at it and talking about wanting one. And we were just playing Puyo Tetris and Snipperclips lol

Please show me with math how in the end you net more sales by shipping less. I want supply over time, demand over time, and sales over time.

Every other company MUST SUCK at business for not engaging in this amazing tactic that nets free money.

And yet here's ANOTHER person who is thinking about going because it's rare so might as well try to get it now, right?

THIS is why it works. I don't know why you are having trouble with this concept. Look at all the people waiting outside stores and shit. This type of under shipment strategy is something Nintendo has done since the 80s and it works when they have a hot product. So many replies on this thread prove it.
aw fuck they got some grey ones in stock about 20 minutes away from me at a Walmart... and I just got paid.. fuck I want it but I can't decide if I want to get one now or wait.. SHIT!

FML, none at Best Buy but I walked into Walmart for the hell of it.

Anyone in Metro ATL? There's 3 off Pleasanthill/Lawrenceville Walmart lol

And yet here's ANOTHER person who is thinking about going because it's rare so might as well try to get it now, right?

THIS is why it works. I don't know why you are having trouble with this concept. Look at all the people waiting outside stores and shit. This type of under shipment strategy is something Nintendo has done since the 80s and it works when they have a hot product. So many replies on this thread prove it.

Yep it's pretty contentious. I agree with you though. If these things were available everywhere right now, they'd immediately sell another million or however many Nintendo/Zelda fans still dont have a Switch, and then sales would drop off a cliff. Resellers obviously wouldn't buy it, and nobody else would buy it either because the only thing keeping it going right now is hype + Zelda. Too much stock would kill the "hype" and then all you have left is people who really really want to play Zelda.

sleepnaught

We managed to get one for my nephew this morning. they had 10 units at our Toys R Us, we were #7. Tons of people showed up with their kids and were turned away. Still a lot of hype for this thing.

fernoca

Local TRU got 30. Seems half gray and half neon. Only two people including myself. XD
And...that was a fail.

None (well, the only 2 I have) of my payment methods worked. Even tried gifting TRU giftcards to myself using PayPal/eBay, and didn't worked either. So clueless right now, is like someone doesn't want me to have a Switch.

Total 4 hours wasted on...whatever bad luck I have. XD

Once the store opened and word got out, more people started coming by...so yeah...guess in my case, the wait continues.

Nairume

Banned
FML, none at Best Buy but I walked into Walmart for the hell of it.

Anyone in Metro ATL? There's 3 off Pleasanthill/Lawrenceville Walmart lol
That one seems to be good about not selling out on stock as quickly as others.

When Wal-Mart was fireselling PSTVs, that one still had some in stock weeks after others had already cleared them out.

psycho17

Went to TRU to try for one, but tickets were already out. I Checked the walmart app and it said limited quantity but I didn't want to go back out since I had just got home, but my dad was out already so I had him go by and they had 2 left. My search for a switch is finally over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom