• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kar L

It's not that complicated, if you want exact numbers go pay a marketing research firm. All this takes is common sense and reading this thread.

This thread is full of examples of people who bought one despite being on the fence because they were hard to find.

This thread is also full of people who will buy one no matter how long it takes to find one.

They don't lose basically any sales by doing this, and drive news stories/hype around the product.

It's been explained time and time again other companies (especially toy companies) do use this tactic especially in the run up to the holidays, but not every company follows this path because they have different goals or sales philosophies.

People defending Nintendo as if they are defending their family and as if pointing out this tactic is somehow calling Nintendo evil is continually hilarious.
Well said. Half the people in this thread wouldn't pull the trigger to buy one if store shelves were fully stocked.

The Wii U is a perfect example of that. Once people realized they weren't scarce, there were a ton of returns and you could buy one most places just a week or two after launch.

-Oath

Canceled my Amazon.es preorder and went down to my local Toys r Us. They had 25 switches and to my surprise they actually had Neon ones. Me and my friend snagged one. There was a line of like 30 ppl.

Hesemonni

Banned
Sthphvp.png

Switch in Finland retail 369 € vs. Amazon.de at 329 € (not available though).

Photo taken today at Finland's largest retail chain location.

And used / ones bought for scalping are starting to surface under Amazon price.

spock

Well said. Half the people in this thread wouldn't pull the trigger to buy one if store shelves were fully stocked.

The Wii U is a perfect example of that. Once people realized they weren't scarce, there were a ton of returns and you could buy one most places just a week or two after launch.

I agree about the scarcity thing. Some people want it to psychologically have what seems like something they can't have and to have something others don't but want. Noticed a holiday fever type vibe from some people in stores asking about it. This also causes cycles of publicity socially and in the news.

Zelda is also a major point. Very cool to see that strong of a system seller again. And for me Zelda alone has proven to be worth it given how much I been enjoying it. Heck it's got me buying other Zelda related merchandise. Good stuff ninty!

Souzetsu

Buddy of mine was able to pick one up for his girlfriend this morning at Toys R Us. They only had 10 units in. They all went within minutes.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It's not that complicated, if you want exact numbers go pay a marketing research firm. All this takes is common sense and reading this thread.

This thread is full of examples of people who bought one despite being on the fence because they were hard to find.

This thread is also full of people who will buy one no matter how long it takes to find one.

They don't lose basically any sales by doing this, and drive news stories/hype around the product.

It's been explained time and time again other companies (especially toy companies) do use this tactic especially in the run up to the holidays, but not every company follows this path because they have different goals or sales philosophies.

People defending Nintendo as if they are defending their family and as if pointing out this tactic is somehow calling Nintendo evil is continually hilarious.

So people on the fence buy one sooner and people who want one later.

Again not seeing the Math coming out in more units. Show me a marketing paper with data.

Now, companies want to supply almost exactly what is demanded. Why? You lose money if you overship. Undership? You ALSO lose money. If Nintendo had produced more Wii during that first year, they would have probably sold more wii total.

Nintendo is over conservative with production and also horrible at communication. This is not a defense AT ALL.

Are Switches sitting in warehoused somewhere? Are factories not producing at full capacity?
Consider costs of these. Consider costs of suddenly opening a new production facility.

Again, show me the math. From production to sale that deliberate Undershpping leads to more money.

It only makes "common sense" to people with very little understanding of business

spock

Also Nintendo has indeed been pulling this stock shit since i was a kid, but only if the hype was right. I was a young buck taking multiple buses just to find and pay 80 fuckin bucks for super Mario bothers 2 because it was the hot game sold out everywhere, and I neeeeded it.lol

Wadiwasi

Banned
Went to a Toys R Us in my town as soon as they opened because I was told they would be getting a shipment in. By the time I got there they had handed out 6 tickets and were sold out.

Went to Best Buy and walked in just as they opened. I finally got 1 of 5 they had for sale. They were gone immediately.

Looking forward to some Zelda today

spock

Again not seeing the Math coming out in more units. Show me a marketing paper with data.

Now, companies want to supply almost exactly what is demanded. Why? You lose money if you overship. Undership? You ALSO lose money. If Nintendo had produced more Wii during that first year, they would have probably sold more wii total.

Nintendo is over conservative with production and also horrible at communication. This is not a defense AT ALL.

Are Switches sitting in warehoused somewhere? Are factories not producing at full capacity?
Consider costs of these. Consider costs of suddenly opening a new production facility.

Again, show me the math. From production to sale that deliberate Undershpping leads to more money.

It only makes "common sense" to people with very little understanding of business

Using scarcity is marketing 101. Nintendo doesn't necessarily sit on inventory but they structure their shipping and production within a framework that maximizes the attention scarcity creates. Though conditions have to be right in regards to demand and public awareness. They know what to do when they have something hot.

I also think the nes classic helped quite a bit bringing there name back in to the public mindshare.

Oxn

Using scarcity is marketing 101. Nintendo doesn't necessarily sit on inventory but they structure their shipping and production within a framework that maximizes the attention scarcity creates. Though conditions have to be right in regards to demand and public awareness. They know what to do when they have something hot.

I also think the nes classic helped quite a bit bringing there name back in to the public mindshare.

Like i cant believe there are people arguing against this.

Now im not claiming Nintendo is doing it on purpose, but the idea that something is harder to obtain, makes people want something more.

Now to wait for this one guy to come in and say, well this is rare and i dont want it.

Popped into Slough CEX before heading back to the South West. They had a couple of switches in there for £340. Pretty standard, but more surprising was the 4 copies of BOTW switch they had and the 10 copies of the Wii U version (Both selling for £60). How that has happened i will never know.

Inotti

Sthphvp.png

Well scalping consoles in Finland doesn't work wery well. :D
Even if it's a hard to find sold out console people here just refuse to pay anything over retail. Even if you tried to sell something for scalping prices people are going to give you hard time and send you tons of nasty messages.
I'm pretty sure that Finns consider even unopeded electronics as second hand products if you are trying to resell it. And no one is going to pay full price or anything over it if it's a second hand item. :D At least that's my theory.

Sthphvp.png

Switch in Finland retail 369 € vs. Amazon.de at 329 € (not available though).

Photo taken today at Finland's largest retail chain location.

Is Nintendo always overpriced like that in Finland compared to other Euro-countries?

Hesemonni

Banned
Is Nintendo always overpriced like that in Finland compared to other Euro-countries?
Haven't really paid that much attention how much extra they charge since I usually buy abroad or 2nd hand, but it's pretty much always been there. It's the same with for example PS4 Pro, which costs 40-50 € extra depending on where you buy 'em.

I guess we have tons of extra money to spend due to low taxation /s

AniHawk

nintendo was pretty open about the first month of the machine. 2 million sounded like a conservative number to me, but you also had people claiming it would be wii u 2.0 before launch. as positive as word of mouth had been early on, it was probably a safety net so they wouldn't screw themselves out the gate. the switch had some negative aspects before launch as well - the anemic launch lineup, no browser features, no virtual console, no video streaming options, etc. it was basically zelda as a proof of concept that the system could be pretty awesome.

that said, i think the system was obviously going to have a positive reception as early as october. people liked the concept and the 'first look' video they ran did about as well as sony's ad for their ps4 in terms of views and even better in terms of comments/likes. they learned from the wii u about not advertising a console during u.s. election season (ad space becomes more expensive), and they put that good money to use on tours across multiple countries and smartly-placed ads. the big misfire was the january conference, and the negativity that stemmed from that (which is mostly forgotten now). as it stands, the switch feels like something that had to be out before the end of the fiscal year to appease stockholders, and that it was super not ready regardless. it feels like a system nintendo might have wanted for fall 2017 instead of march 2017, but their hand was forced and they made the best go at it with the limited resources they had.

weighing the pros and cons of what could have happened at launch, i think it was smart to play a game of 'wait and see'. they got cocky with the 3ds for instance, using the positive reception at e3 2010 as a signal that it would be okay to price the machine at $249.99 at launch. i don't think they wanted a situation where the switch is hard to find on an essentially worldwide basis during its launch month - they'd probably want more people playing it and talking about it instead.

So, Toys R Us today got 9 in stock, all of which sold out the moment the store opened. My wife drove down to Best Buy, was third in line, and managed to get me a grey Switch. Got the third out of 5 total. Woot! They had a line of 20+ people, most of which left empty handed :(

Tubie

At least it seems Nintendo is actually trying to resupply this thing, unlike the bullshit they pulled with the NES Classic.

Hero

At least it seems Nintendo is actually trying to resupply this thing, unlike the bullshit they pulled with the NES Classic.

The NES Classic still baffles me. They actually nailed the design, game selection, marketing/advertising, price, etc but they didn't have the confidence to manufacture it to even come close to demand. They literally left money on the table with that thing it kind of makes me wonder why they even bothered with the device.

If you need a marketing/sales/business 101 class I can google one for you, but at this point you are just being ridiculous.

I'm sure there is a good free one on Kahn academy or something similar unless this is a troll/bait post.

bman94

nintendo was pretty open about the first month of the machine. 2 million sounded like a conservative number to me, but you also had people claiming it would be wii u 2.0 before launch. as positive as word of mouth had been early on, it was probably a safety net so they wouldn't screw themselves out the gate. the switch had some negative aspects before launch as well - the anemic launch lineup, no browser features, no virtual console, no video streaming options, etc. it was basically zelda as a proof of concept that the system could be pretty awesome.

that said, i think the system was obviously going to have a positive reception as early as october. people liked the concept and the 'first look' video they ran did about as well as sony's ad for their ps4 in terms of views and even better in terms of comments/likes. they learned from the wii u about not advertising a console during u.s. election season (ad space becomes more expensive), and they put that good money to use on tours across multiple countries and smartly-placed ads. the big misfire was the january conference, and the negativity that stemmed from that (which is mostly forgotten now). as it stands, the switch feels like something that had to be out before the end of the fiscal year to appease stockholders, and that it was super not ready regardless. it feels like a system nintendo might have wanted for fall 2017 instead of march 2017, but their hand was forced and they made the best go at it with the limited resources they had.

weighing the pros and cons of what could have happened at launch, i think it was smart to play a game of 'wait and see'. they got cocky with the 3ds for instance, using the positive reception at e3 2010 as a signal that it would be okay to price the machine at $249.99 at launch. i don't think they wanted a situation where the switch is hard to find on an essentially worldwide basis during its launch month - they'd probably want more people playing it and talking about it instead.

Excellent post, I agree fully. Nintendo was playing it safe, they didn't expect demand to be so high.

Celine

The NES Classic still baffles me. They actually nailed the design, game selection, marketing/advertising, price, etc but they didn't have the confidence to manufacture it to even come close to demand. They literally left money on the table with that thing it kind of makes me wonder why they even bothered with the device.
I believe Nintendo considered it just as a "one time" marketing product to help promote their bread and butter (Switch) while still making a small profit out of it.
With Switch upcoming launch they dropped it (and WiiU which was essentially dead) to do all-in on their future-proof console (and what remains of 3DS market).
It's a shame really.
Fucked up my bullish prediction on NES Classic total sales.

Kar L

I don't understand why the few people in here who obviously don't get it are arguing with everybody else that does. Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing. It's not their first rodeo. In fact, they got the numbers down almost perfectly this time. Everybody who really wanted one was easily able to get a pre-order, as well as most of the people that showed up at 3/3 release before stores opened.

There have also been numerous chances to buy a Switch on these restocks. Nintendo hit the nail on the head with this one and people are going to be talking about it well into the fall. It's going to be a very successful system for both Nintendo, the fans, and everyone involved. Which means we are going to get great games.

I think some people just like to complain. Because they don't want to do any extra planning to buy something and they refuse to pay anything over MSRP. Whereas most people who really wanted to buy a Switch have found a way to make it happen. Plus aftermarket prices aren't high at all. You can go buy one right now on Craigslist if you were lazy, or if your work week time is more precious than everybody else's time. People just feel entitled to things being on store shelves right when they want them.

The point is, a lot of people didn't want this system until a week or two ago. Everyone should just be happy that this was a very successful launch and we still have three major players in the home video game industry. Which means great games and competitive prices for everyone.

I don't understand why the few people in here who obviously don't get it are arguing with everybody else that does. Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing. It's not their first rodeo. In fact, they got the numbers down almost perfectly this time. Everybody who really wanted one was easily able to get a pre-order, as well as most of the people that showed up at 3/3 release before stores opened.

There have been numerous chances to buy a Switch on these restocks. Nintendo hit the nail on the head with this one and people are going to be talking about it well into the fall. It's going to be a very successful system for both Nintendo, the fans, and everyone involved. Which means we are going to get great games.

I think some people just like to complain. Because they don't want to do any extra planning to buy something and they refuse to pay anything over MSRP. Whereas most people who really wanted to buy a Switch have found a way to make it happen. Plus aftermarket prices aren't high at all. You can go buy one right now on Craigslist if you were lazy, or if your work week time is more precious than everybody else's time. People just like to complain, and feel entitled to things being on store shelves right when they want them.

The point is, a lot of people didn't want this system until a week or two ago. Everyone should just be happy that this was a very successful launch and we still have three major players in the home video game industry. Which makes great games and competitive prices for everyone.

I am patiently waiting for it to be on store shelves because I am not going to support a scalper. Saying the markup is not that bad misses the point entirely. People who don't want the console are dicks for buying one so they can make a profit off of those who do want one. I would rather wait until they make more so people who did it, make no profit at all. Either way, all this is about is patience. And to be honest with all the issues, and the sheer fact that the only game I want is Zelda, I can certainly wait. Those being impatient is a personal issue.

OryoN

Yeah but don't tell that to the tin-foil hatters around here who think that NOT selling hot products is an effective - but deceptive -strategy employed by Nintendo to actually...

... you guessed it - Sell more systems!

Da'faq? :/

Kar L

I think it's that they don't make much money on these things and their priorities remain elsewhere.

The NES mini was more of a love letter to the fans. At $60 apiece, the retailers getting a cut, having to pay the license holders like Konami, and hardware and packaging that costs probably $20-30, there just isn't that much money to be made. Hell, a single game disc sells for $60. Nintendo's priority is creating a Switch install base. The production factories are probably better used on other things, too.

Shambala

Just snagged one up off offer up 🙌. They got it this morning at toys r us and sold it to me for $40 extra. Got the original receipt and everything. Now to play this Zelda everyone been raving about 😌

MazeHaze

Banned
Yeah but don't tell that to the tin-foil hatters around here who think that NOT selling hot products is an effective - but deceptive -strategy employed by Nintendo to actually...

... you guessed it - Sell more systems!

Da'faq? :/
I just finished reading Console Wars (great book, give it a go!) And Nintendo has had a very deliberate strategy of under delivering to retailers since the NES days. Seems to work out well for them.

However, I can see why people are mad. I also don't really like the "you should have just pre-ordered" argument though. I think it's fair to want to wait for release to see how the system is, and maybe get some hands on time with it before spending 400 dollars(tax+zelda).

For me personally, I wasn't planning on picking one up, but I got to mess around with it at a friends house and came away and impressed. That hands-on time combined with all the positive reviews for Zelda have me wanting to pick one up. I probably would have already bought one if I could, but for now I just check this thread occasionally to see if stock is widely available yet. Who knows if I'll still have the itch in a few months, but it does kind of suck to not be able to buy a system easily a month out.

Kar L

However, I can see why people are mad. I also don't really like the "you should have just pre-ordered" argument though. I think it's fair to want to wait for release to see how the system is, and maybe get some hands on time with it before spending 400 dollars(tax+zelda).
Sure it's fair to wait on reviews. I totally get not wanting to support the practice of pre-orders. But if you want to wait, well then you get to wait.

Other people realize that you lose nothing when it comes to pre-orders and you have 30 days at most places to return your product if you don't want to keep it. You could also sell it to someone else. So there's no reason not to pre-order something that may be important to you.

The issue is that so many people suddenly want one NOW NOW NOW when they had no interest in buying the system just three weeks ago. I've also read the replies in this thread and half the people that "can't find a Switch anywhere" couldn't even be bothered to read any of the instructions, help, and tips on the previous pages.

Pocks

Stopped by Toys R Us this morning around 8:15 AM. There were about 20 buyers in line. They only handed out 7 or 8 tickets, much to the dismay of the majority of the line.

I missed Gamestop's restock. I missed Target's the next day by less than an hour. Maybe one day I'll get one, ha. BoTW for the Switch is just hanging out all lonely-like on my entertainment stand.

spock

They could have a strategy for nes classic were it's basically an advertising tool loss leader. Meaning they didn't fully intend it's goal to be monetary profit but public and fan mind share and awareness. The timing of release ahead of the switch makes sense, keeping the Nintendo brand fresh in people's minds.

roknin

yeah the nintendo "less is more" thing is kind of bunk.

People really exaggerate how they don't produce enough hardware to artificially drive up demand but with the exception of the NES, the Wii and now the Switch every other piece Nintendo hardware has been widely available like the SNES, N64, GameCube, Gameboy of every Type, GBA, DS, 3DS. None of those consoles had stock shortages that lasted much after launch being no different than other consoles.

As someone that worked in retail at the launch of the GCN and also had to hunt for one for a week after launch, it wasn't that readily available.

PSFan

As someone that worked in retail at the launch of the GCN and also had to hunt for one for a week after launch, it wasn't that readily available.

Maybe not in your area but I was able to easily walk into a store on launch day and buy one. Stores had stacks of them too.

1morerobot

N64 was absolutely impossible to find right after launch. Me and my cousin rented the freaking thing for a weekend from Blockbuster. lol

I remember being concerned about not being able to get a N64 later.. so I convinced my mother to buy it at launch and keep it from me until my birthday in November..

w/ the gamecube.. I bought a japanese one from a local import shop w/ a copy of waverace.. I later got it modded w/ a region switch.. got to play rogue leader a week early~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom