• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Polygon 'playing' Doom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mean, shitty post. Great work OP.

You'd think that GAF was better than this, knowing that this isn't meant to be anything more than just a Facebook livestream, but instead this follows the same tack that the KiA thread on Reddit is aiming for.

Link us to your stream when you're ready.

Is this a parody of something?

Did the reviewer criticize the game's playability or controls in a write up while playing below GAF standards or something? If not, I fail to see any real issue.

If the Polygon rep in that video is the one reviewing the game, then maybe he/she may not the best source on the matter.

If the player is just some random person playing the game for shits n' giggles, then great. Glad the person's enjoying(?) their time.

Yeah I agree. It's true that the person playing in the video isn't very skilled at the game...but so what?

I think it's more that it's coming from a website that frames themselves as a professional/gaming-focused outlet. You expect informed opinions out of this sort of outlet, and part of that comes from competency in regards to skill or ability to play the games.

I think some sort of reviews of games from people who don't play them regularity is an interesting idea (and something I think would be cool in a more amateur/youtube/streaming format), but different types of outlets have different standards.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
That gameplay video was not captured by the reviewer. Don't worry, the person responsible for the review will be equipped with the appropriate l33t skills.

Salsa

You'd think that GAF was better than this, knowing that this isn't meant to be anything more than just a Facebook livestream, but instead this follows the same tack that the KiA thread on Reddit is aiming for.

I cant tell if this is for real?

Axass

So there needs to be a skill threshold for reviews?
Dunno, can I review a concert of Beethoven's finest symphonies without having ever listened to classical music before?

Sure, I can give an opinion, but does that make a well written review? Would it be useful to anyone? Wouldn't I just be very arrogant, pretending to inform someone and judge something on nonexistant basis?

Maybe we should begin to separate the concept of simple opinion piece from that of review, because they're two pretty different things according to me.

EDIT: Yeah, so apparently in this case it wasn't the reviewer. My point still stands in a more general way though.

Dimmle

There's no review in the OP, also having the ability to move the camera and aim should be expected when you're critiquing a game. But I'll bet whomever was playing was trying to do something else while playing, maybe writing or talking. But it's still weird to use that inadequate footage.

So there needs to be a skill threshold for previews?

Like, kinda who cares if someone plays badly in preview or review footage?

Okay, so it was linked on facebook. A lot of things are. Calling it a "facebook livestream" implies that it was something meant for a handful of people--not something a professional outlet uploads to their public account as a "first look" at the game.

That video says Polygon was LIVE. Look at the damn timestamp. The video originated THERE.

Acerac

Banned
It's a reviews outlet, not in-house marketing. They don't need to "show off" the game.

Still, how are you going to review a game you can't play?

It seems like it'd be very hard to give a thorough review when you're not experienced with the genre, eh?

Seiru

Banned
Watched some of the video...yeah they rarely use both sticks at once. Seems like the person playing is pretty new to gamepads? Seems a strange choice to show off the game.

If the Polygon rep in that video is the one reviewing the game, then maybe he/she may not the best source on the matter.

Why? Just because they suck at the controls means they can't add input on the visuals, or sound, or story (not that I expect one in Doom), or dozen other elements that go into a game? Like I said, the only cause of concern for this is if this specific reviewer writes about how the controls behave badly when it's them not doing well that is the issue.

I mean, if it's a review worth any credibility, then yes.

Otherwise, I don't know how to drive, but here's my review on the new Ferrari. It handles like shit.
"They decided to put an outdated manual transmission in this car. As a result, every time I try to drive the car it just stalls and turns off. What a piece of shit.

Final Score: 1/10."

He clearly has problems with dual-stick controls because he wasn't hardly even moving the cursor at all during that entire sequence. Like some other users said, it's like he was trying to play with only one hand (and failing miserably).

Look, I'm not expecting a reviewer to have eSports levels of skill, but if you can't even show basic levels of competence when playing video games, then you are absolutely unqualified to be a games reviewer. Unfortunately, this seems to apply to a lot of "reviewers" in the medium. If I was given the choice, a good chunk of them probably wouldn't have jobs. You'd think that gaming news sites would be a bit more careful about who they hire to write about games, but I guess that isn't a priority for them...

I cant tell if this is for real?
They have a fair point. It's clear you weren't trying to be mean but maybe if you had brought in some footage of other games from other outlets it could've been a discussion more about skill levels in reviews etc versus "polygon SUCKS" which the first page has kind of devolved in to (even though that's not your fault)

Sylas

That video says Polygon was LIVE. Look at the damn timestamp. The video originated THERE.

Yet it was still uploaded to their professional youtube channel and pushed on their professional facebook page.

I completely fail to see your point. Is facebook only meant for casual engagement? Are all the people marketing on facebook and using it to drive their brand completely, 100% wrong?

I don't agree that the person should be lambasted because, really, who cares. It's still a really awkward first look at a game and one would wonder why they want to put that out when you can put out something that would be more immediately relevant to the people that want to see the first 30 minutes on the day the game comes out.

Salsa

Yes it was https://www.facebook.com/polygon/videos/1187674131245213/

This is not a review. This is just some gameplay.

I mean

regarding this and your previous post:

I apologize by advance like 2 times in the OP, clarify that I dont know who's playing, genuinely ask if this is the person reviewing the game

and you still treat me like some bully who's mocking aloud like "lel look at this noob" and assuming I KNEW it was a facebook video?

wtf?

beyond that, if its just a preview video, for facebook, made by Polygon, its still by a person playing the game fucking horribly and its a terrible, innacurate showing of it for it

whats your problem?

Well, the reviewer is better at FPS than Jimmy Fallon at least.

But I mean c'mon, the FPS dual stick thing has been standard for like 15 years now? A basic level of competence should be expected if you're a game reviewer. I don't want book reviews from illiterate people either.

MilkBeard

I think it's more that it's coming from a website that frames themselves as a professional/gaming focused outlet.

I think some sort of reviews of games from people who don't play them regularity is an interesting idea (and something I think would be cool in a more amateur/youtube/streaming format), but different types of outlets have different standards.

True, although as stated this person isn't reviewing the game. It's just a video showing off the game. And most 'skilled' gamers can tell that the player isn't quite controlling it well.

Most of the reviewers, even at Polygon, play games for a living. Their skill level is only something to take into account, but it doesn't mean that someone can't review a game simply because they aren't as good as what is considered 'skilled.'

We have a wide variety of reviewers from many different outlets. It's good to have a variety of perspective. Many people who play games aren't quite as hardcore about the hobby as we are. This is just a perspective, and I think it's better to consider these points instead of shitting on it after watching a 10 second clip.

Said it on twitter and here also in another thread but good grief i was shocked seeing this like who is holding the controller and playing like they never touched a shooter before let stand a fast shooter? Didn't last more than 1 minute in that video had to turn it off.

Compared to this from the nvidia showcase it is night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY&index=2&list=LLhYw7fXuNh2TZvDF-vUyo4Q

Now that's someone that's actually played a game before.

TM94

I'm going to flat-out say that whoever was playing shouldn't be reviewing the game.

That was ridiculous.

Don't worry OP I get what you mean, I don't think you're trying to shit on anyone.

It IS oddly stilted, like someone is manning the stream and trying to play.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

Is this post for real?! WTF! The video is fucking hilarious and it's not mean or shitty at all. I'm sure the people at Polygon are laughing about it too. Relax.

Jeffrey

It's not the most fair to compare someone's first time with a new game (on a controller) vs someone familiar with the game playing m+k at 200fps for nvidia :p

Still weird footage. I'm assuming Arthur Gies is reviewing the game based off twitter, and he's been reviewing shooters for years (he even uses a claw grip with his right hand so he's never off the right thumb stick)

Clawone.jpg

Shredderi

I've always wondered why so many working on videogame sites are so bad at video games. Don't even try to sell me some "most people are bad at video games" line either because the level of skill I see with game journalists is consistently worse than casual gamers.

are you serious? this is supposed to be someone who plays games for a living and he's struggling to shoot at an enemy who's literally right in front of him

Games journalists are people who write about games for a living, not plays them. Sports journalists don't play sports for a living.

That being said, yes this person looks very bad at this game

Tansut

I don't think anyone is really saying you should be exceptional or necessarily even 'good' at video games to be able to review them, but at the same time if I'm reading a car review I'm going to also assume the person writing it knows how to drive.

Sylas

I mean

regarding this and your previous post:

I apologize by advance like 2 times in the OP, clarify that I dont know who's playing, genuinely ask if this is the person playing the game

and you still treat me like some bully who's mocking aloud like "lel look at this noob" and assuming I KNEW it was a facebook video?

wtf?

beyond that, if its just a preview video, for facebook, made by Polygon, its still by a person playing the game fucking horribly and its a terrible, innacurate showing of it for it

whats your problem?

The youtube video linked in the OP and the facebook video are actually 2 different videos entirely. The facebook video is either being played on PC or Xbox One and the youtube video is PS4.

So, uh. Lol @ the dude getting pissy.

Harmen

Polygon seem like the kind of petty people who would do this to get back at them not sending a review copy early.

Get back at them by making themselves appear like people who are controlling a shooter for the first time since the original Doom? Take that id software!

malfcn

So there needs to be a skill threshold for reviews?

If I reviewed a game I was shit at and gave it a lower score? And this effected Metacritic?

I might give Atelier games a 2 because it's not my thing. How is that fair to the game when you consider the devs and players?

Expert, no.
Competent, yes.

Salsa

they should release some sort of statement

say its a facebook livestream which by some weird reason is played by the same person manning the stream or some shit

like he was one handed most of the time, idk, benefit of the doubt

why upload it to their official channel as a first look at Doom with just "Doom is back and we played the first 30 mins!"

this is awful both for them and the game as coverage

edit: oh apparently the facebook video isnt even the same

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't think anyone is really saying you should be exceptional or necessarily even 'good' at video games to be able to review them, but at the same time if I'm reading a car review I'm going to also assume the person writing it knows how to drive.

this was the exact analogy I was going to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom