• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So they found a 3 mile high mountain on Ceres....Welcome our new overlords, GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

Did anyone ever stop to think that this 'pyramid' was originally a celestial body and aliens built Ceres around it?!

Don't let the gov't tell you otherwise!

Arkeband

Banned
Other photos of it show that it's not even remotely pyramidal.

It looks like a mound. It's a tall mound, but it's a mound, nonetheless.

0.jpg

Hoodbury

When do mountains come without a range?

A free-standing mountain is a stand-alone mountain, i.e its not a part of any mountain range. They are generally volcanic mountains. Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa - the highest free-standing mountain of the world.

When do mountains come without a range?

Volcanoes.

anak-krakatoa-sunda-straits.jpg

Olympus_Mons_alt.jpg

Also, pingos are what the scientist in the original article is talking about as a potential analogue.

39227-004-3F5A8264.jpg

Quick and easy, Yosemite (Half Dome, El Capitan) are exposed laccolithic bodies (solidified magma body; granite). A pingo is a hydrolaccolith, or a giant chunk of ice.

Verger

Banned
Fuck Gawker.

What utter bullshit. Seriously. It's like they print whatever trash there is. Worse than tabloids IMO

_woLf

Volcanoes.

anak-krakatoa-sunda-straits.jpg

Olympus_Mons_alt.jpg

Also, pingos are what the scientist in the original article is talking about as a potential analogue.

39227-004-3F5A8264.jpg

Quick and easy, Yosemite (Half Dome, El Capitan) are exposed laccolithic bodies (solidified magma body; granite). A pingo is a hydrolaccolith, or a giant chunk of ice.

But Ceres doesn't have tectonic activity (does it even have a molten core?) so the chances of it being a volcano are slim to none, no?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
A free-standing mountain is a stand-alone mountain, i.e its not a part of any mountain range. They are generally volcanic mountains. Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa - the highest free-standing mountain of the world.
Ceres is made of rock and ice. Is there any tectonic activity going on?

its a pyramid
#teamspaceegyptians

But Ceres doesn't have tectonic activity (does it even have a molten core?) so the chances of it being a volcano are slim to none, no?

I answered the first broad question, and then provided information on the more reasonable hypothesis. The ball of ice might just have a chunk of ice on it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Imagine if it turns out Ceres is just one large diamond covered in dust.

Debeers would just blow it up. Gotta maintain that artificial scarcity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom