• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

Riposte

I haven't read any reviews, nor plan to, but I was wondering why this game was blasted and why you (if you like the game) feel they are wrong.

qq more

I don't feel the reviewers are wrong for disliking the game. You can't please everyone, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Only thing I really really did not like was the one review (I don't recall if it was for this game or some other Sonic game) that said Sega should end the franchise.

Honestly, my overall thoughts so far on the game is really mixed. I enjoyed most of the 3D segments, the only real rotten level so far is Frozen Factory 1. The grinding rail stage (Tropical Coast Zone 3?) was okay, but it would've been so much better with the rail-switching mechanic Sonic had from the boost trilogy, it felt kind of tedious to constantly change rails by jumping and making sure you're landing on it right... felt sort of too nerve wrecking for my liking.

2D segments needs work, i think the level design (for the most part) was alright but the controls feel kind of stiff and I hated the loss in momentum when you jump at a certain speed. Sonic is still kind of too slow too.

Wisp powers... the newer ones so far are pretty lame.

This is all based on what I've played so far (up to Frozen Factory Zone 3). The game is definitely not as good as Colors and Generations and I doubt that would change at this point.

Teknoman

Look at all dat juice! Literally!

iRF99ZXNP11pT.jpg

Man stages like that always make me want fruit juice...

qq more

You didn't realize that every zeti is a walking, talking stereotype?

Of course I did, they just amuse me so much.

Anyways, I've finished Frozen Factory yesterday. Awful world, the only act I actually enjoyed was the snowball stage. Act 1 was a huge mess, Act 3's pinball segments were bullshit to the highest caliber, and Act 4... Sonic just controls so damn annoying on ice, half of the stage was good, but half of it was me struggling to control Sonic properly on ice. Yuck

Silent Forest was alright. I like Act 1, though it can be a bit annoying at times. Act 2 was fun for the most part, the stealthing was alright. The only issue I had with the act was that it took forever to figure out how to beat the boss. Act 3 was a retread of that one Windy Hill stage... and Act 4 was pretty neat but that boss was a joke when I realize I can just overpower the homing attack. lol

I started Sky Road and holy shit, you weren't kidding when you said they reused assets from Windy Hill... why? The
secret level from Tropical Coast also reused Windy Hill assets
. I don't understand. I'm kind of done with the game for now. I'll jump back to it later. I feel that Silent Forest was a huge step up after the disappointing Frozen Factory world, but I'm not too confident about Sky Road because Sonic ran between a gap of springs leading me to my death.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't want to play Sonic Lost World 3DS anymore.

I just realized, going back to a few stages and playing both the Wii U and 3DS versions simultaneously that there are just a lot of things that the Wii U version does better. The 3DS version has platform pop-in in some places for some reason. It's weird.

(This is moreso me just saying to myself that I don't want to play games I'm not enjoying anymore. I've done it for most of this year and I think this is somewhat of the last straw for me.)

Of course I did, they just amuse me so much.
And contrarily, I find the zeti being walking talking stereotypes incredibly one-dimensional and just... I dunno, boring to deal with in terms of hearing their dialogue. You know what they're going to say or how they're going to say it. Cubot, Orbot, and even Yacker, had more dimensions to their characters in the Uncolourations games.

Amusing is far from what I think of them at this point.

Teknoman

Just beat the second world. Never thought i would say this, but... Sonic... You're too slooowwwooooow!

Use the spin dash more. Its not boost era fast, but it gets the job done.

I actually like this Sonic's speed more though, so i'm biased.

EDIT: I like the red one's design, but thats about it.

qq more

Also, is it me or is Sonic somewhat faster in the later 2D levels? Or am I just finally getting used to this strange speed?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also, is it me or is Sonic somewhat faster in the later 2D levels? Or am I just finally getting used to this strange speed?
It's you getting used to the speed and the controls (especially since you're past the Frozen Factory stages). Otherwise, the speed is pretty consistent.

Teknoman

Is it just me, or is kicking badniks into each other, one of the better additional attacks Sonic has received since the spin dash?

qq more

It's you getting used to the speed and the controls (especially since you're past the Frozen Factory stages). Otherwise, the speed is pretty consistent.

Ah... I wish he was still a bit faster. But the thing that irritates me the most is the air momentum, it feels so off at times. It makes some platforming a bit too tedious. I'm thankful they have the double jump and parkour, they saved me so many times.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The snowball level was surprisingly fun. I thought it was going to be a frustrating stage.

I hated that stage as I found it to be slow and boring.

Also what the hell at Zeena's dialogs :lol :lol

Why what does she say?

And contrarily, I find the zeti being walking talking stereotypes incredibly one-dimensional and just... I dunno, boring to deal with in terms of hearing their dialogue. You know what they're going to say or how they're going to say it. Cubot, Orbot, and even Yacker, had more dimensions to their characters in the Uncolourations games.

The Zenti are basically Sonic version of the the Koopalings. I also hated how the
game doesn't bother to explain them or how there's no conclusion after beating the red demon.

Not many levels are set up to allow you to use the spin dash.

Is it just me, or is kicking badniks into each other, one of the better additional attacks Sonic has received since the spin dash?

Feels great. Love taking down a whole row of enemies with a swift kick.

Beat it the other night and I'm trying to let it all soak in.
Gonna tackle all the extra levels down the road.

Mario looms...

Marjar

Banned
Just got this today. I'm actually having a lot of fun with it. It doesn't feel as polished as Generations was, but it's still really fun.

The reviews just baffle me. I'm beginning to think that they barely even gave the game a chance, or just sucked complete ass at the game because it does admittedly take a few levels to really get used to the different control scheme.

qq more

Just got this today. I'm actually having a lot of fun with it. It doesn't feel as polished as Generations was, but it's still really fun.

The reviews just baffle me. I'm beginning to think that they barely even gave the game a chance, or just sucked complete ass at the game because it does admittedly take a few levels to really get used to the different control scheme.

I dunno. The game isn't exactly accessible. I feel the controls need work, 'specially the 2D sections. The baffling game design starts to show a little halfway through. Can't blame them for feeling the way they do about the game.

qq more

WTF at Sky Road Act 3

and omg at the very fact a checkpoint is placed NEAR THE PIT. like... i accidentally killed myself getting that checkpoint, AUGH

EDIT: ALL THE CHECKPOINTS ARE LIKE THIS

MilkBeard

I actually like this Sonic's speed more though, so i'm biased.

EDIT: I like the red one's design, but thats about it.

I also enjoy Sonic's speed in this game, although at some point I felt like there were a lot of 2D stages that are straight up platforming and don't have much to do with going fast. They were fun, just realized that they didn't utilize Sonic's speed as much. Not anything particularly wrong with it besides that though, they have been pretty enjoyable. The 3D stages are great though in terms of speed in my opinion.

About the antagonists, I am more surprised about how amuzed I am with them. Mainly because I wasn't expecting the story to be good at all. Generally I think story in Mario and Sonic games tend to be on the ridiculous side, so less is better. Lost World has a Saturday morning cartoon vibe to me, so in that sense I think it's alright. Still, I wish Sonic Team would ditch stories altogether and just be straight up levels with something very minimal tying it together. But I guess that wouldn't fly with the current expectation of gaming.

steveovig

I'm up to the third Lava Zone and I hate it. Way too long and hard for 4 lives. I used a 4-star lives power-up and still couldn't beat it last night. I think I'll take another day or two break from this now.

qq more

I'm up to the third Lava Zone and I hate it. Way too long and hard for 4 lives. I used a 4-star lives power-up and still couldn't beat it last night. I think I'll take another day or two break from this now.

What did you think of Sky Road out of curiosity? Wasn't a fan of that world at all from the first 3 acts I've played so far.

Boogiepop

Just out of curiosity: I feel like a lot of the level complaints seem to be going to Frozen Factory, so I'm wondering if everyone knows that letting off the run button gives you "normal controls." I found that letting off the run for quick adjustments and some tricky segments made those stages pretty fun, and it felt like a nice use of the dual speeds.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it that's my advice to the guy above having issues with the third lava stage: don't be afraid to let off the run here and there, it makes the actual stage pretty easy, IMO (though the last part of the stage is still pretty tricky, haha).

qq more

Most of my issue with Frozen Factory is really the level design and the gameplay design. Was not a fan of how messy and meh Act 1 was, and I really did not like the fact you can die in the pinball machine in Act 3.

Act 4 is the only level where I feel I have to let go of the run button to make it easier... but even then it still feels tedious at times. Ice physics is badddddd

Azure J

After playing and watching my brother play this game out, I feel like the best way to sum it all up is that there's an excellent game somewhere in this design but Lost World is the awkward outer center of it. SEGA's on to another really interesting take in the Sonic style of gameplay and I hope they stick with it. Nothing would suck like them dropping everything done here because they were disheartened with its critical reception.

Also, this game would shoot up two tiers alone if it had quick step/quick "sharp turn" (Quick Step + Control Stick direction) and spin dashes at max speed worked like a halfway point between Genesis Sonic rolling and boosts did in the Unleashed-Colors-Generations line versus being all start and stop. I guess I could also mention that parkour abilities could feel more natural instead of feeling like a stiff "magenitization" was going on every time Sonic approached a wall.

The visual design is fucking FLAWLESS though. Please please please never stray too far from this look again Sonic Team. PLEASE.

Zalman

I think I will remember this game for being good but not as good as Colors/Generations. It's definitely a step back, but I wouldn't say it's bad. I don't know where Sonic Team goes from here, but I'm intrigued.

Oh my god I cannot for the life of me find the fifth Red Star Ring on level 1 of Windy Hill in the 3DS version. A clue, by any chance? I don't want the solution, just like... a hint!

RobbieNick

Desert Ruins Act 2 (Honeycomb) is your friend. There are two spots where you can farm lives. One had 3 1-Ups in a row and the other has 4. Youc can collect them, die and collect them again. I went into Lava Mountain with 50 lives. Just make sure to finish the level or else it doesn't save all of your extra lives.

Seik

Banned
I think I will remember this game for being good but not as good as Colors/Generations. It's definitely a step back, but I wouldn't say it's bad. I don't know where Sonic Team goes from here, but I'm intrigued.

For me it's pretty much between Generations and Colors.

Generations is first, then Lost World, then Colors.

I put Lost World above Colors for the controls that are the best from any 3D Sonic games I played so far, plus I had more fun watching the story than with Colors.

branny

The visual design is fucking FLAWLESS though. Please please please never stray too far from this look again Sonic Team. PLEASE.
Yeah the art style is just about the best thing about the game, I hope they stick with it.
Meh, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't particularly care for it. Sometimes it's nice, but most of the time it seems super flat or cheap-looking to me. I think I like how Generations looks the most. =\

Marjar

Banned
Oh good Lord, Sky Road and Lava Mountain.

It's like they thought "you know, this game is turning out just a little too good. We need to add a mountain of shit!" Seriously some of the most obnoxious and downright unfair level design I've seen in a while.

I was really liking the game too. I hope they keep this control scheme though honestly. I think if it's polished up a bit, with levels that actually had good level design, like the earlier stages in the game, it could make for a really great Sonic game.

Also they should bring back the quick step. There were several instances in the game where I said "you know, this section here would be a lot less infuriating and a lot more fun if there was, oh I dunno, A QUICK STEP."

steveovig

What did you think of Sky Road out of curiosity? Wasn't a fan of that world at all from the first 3 acts I've played so far.

I went back and replayed three of the four and I don't mind the first three zones. IMO, Zone 2 is the best level in the game. It's very intense the first time you play it. I HATED the fourth zone though.

Overall, I find myself enjoying some of the levels I used to hate, upon replaying them.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I went back and replayed three of the four and I don't mind the first three zones. IMO, Zone 2 is the best level in the game. It's very intense the first time you play it. I HATED the fourth zone though.

Overall, I find myself enjoying some of the levels I used to hate, upon replaying them.

That's what happens with trial and error based level design. Unleashed was exactly the same. When you replay a stage you know what's coming, so the bulshitty trial and error aspect of the stage isn't there anymore. I was someone that HATED Sonic Unleashed on my first playthrough. But once the trial and error aspect was gone and I knew what was coming I was able to really enjoy the stages when I replayed them. I think some of the later stages in Lost World are similar.

Meh, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't particularly care for it. Sometimes it's nice, but most of the time it seems super flat or cheap-looking to me. I think I like how Generations looks the most. =

While some of the flat textures need work, the overall design is exactly in line with the roots of the series. Geometric patterns and vibrant colors. It's a very surreal world Sonic lives in. I love it.

Yuterald

Got a chance to play more of this game last night. Got to the Mario Sunshine beach levels. This is such a fucking weird game. I totally get all of the mixed feelings and lack of cohesiveness comments. Now that I've played enough of the game, it's got nothing on Colors. The wisp stuff is pretty garbage-town-deluxe in this game too (and I actually liked that stuff in Colors). I think the dimension/void item that sucks up the environment is like the worst power up I've ever seen. Totally jank-town-5000. Music is incredibly disappointing too. I've heard nothing that even comes close to Planet Wisp or Aqua Park. Some of the stages are crazy hard to S-rank as well. I don't know if I haven't found the right shortcuts yet, grown accustomed to the controls or what, but I can't earn an S-rank in some of these levels for the life of me.

I was pretty excited for this game because I expected Colors-levels of greatness, but I can't say that I'm not a bit disappointed with what I've seen so far.

JP

Sorry if it's been mentioned already but is there any reason this won't ever come to non Nintendo platforms? I wouldn't mind playing it but I don't have any Nintendo consoles at the moment.

Zalman

Sorry if it's been mentioned already but is there any reason this won't ever come to non Nintendo platforms? I wouldn't mind playing it but I don't have any Nintendo consoles at the moment.
This game is a part of Sega's three game deal with Nintendo. It won't show up anywhere else just like Colors didn't.

exclusivity agreements between sega and nintendo. thats about it.
Who told you this? Controls are the least of this games problems.

i was being sarcastig. i have the game and nearly beat it (and never had much problems with the controls, which were pointed out as the main problem by many review sites).

Thanks, hopefully that doesn't mean it won't happen at some point then. Although if it sells well a sequel maybe a better idea.
well sonic sold well on nintendo platforms in the past and thats why sonic colors or secret rings stayed exclusive. however any third party exclusive can move to other platforms if the sales are bad.

if you ask me if its worth getting a nintendo console for games like sonic (platformers in general) i would respond with a "hell yes though".

RobbieNick

Just went back to Frozen Factory Zone 2 for Red Rings and beat it with one life. I think the secret to that level is that people are being way too cautious when going through it. I sped through the level (as best I could being a giant snowball and whatnot) and jumped on enemies before they could attack. I never got shoved back and even got that tricky red ring near the end that's between two cliffs.

Top Bottom