• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

qq more

I feel the game is a 6/10 to me but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to lower it down the more I play.

The game started as a 7.5/10 game to me :(

MilkBeard

Finally beat it. Was hoping for another world or two though. Final world was pretty tough (Lava Mountain levels), thankfully I exploited that secret cloud level for 20 lives. I went through most of them on the last two stages easily. Dug the final boss battle.
was giving me Megaman vibes. Actually the level where you have to beat all the Zeti felt Mega Man-ish as well.

I suppose at the end of the game, it does feel like it ends a tad early. Would have loved some more speed stages, but it was good overall. Very much in line with the experience I have had from a lot of Sonic Team games, since the Saturn days.

I'll be looking forward to the next Sonic game, to see what they do with it. I hope it's on PS4 this time.

EDIT: My experience of the game is probably an 8.5/10. Great fun, could have used some more open 3D stages though.

NotLiquid

I feel the game is a 6/10 to me but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to lower it down the more I play.

The game started as a 7.5/10 game to me :(

The game started an 8/10 for me, descended to a 6/10 after the endgame and settled on a 7/10 after replaying and just learning how to handle the moves and knowing the levels - similar to Unleashed in a sense but a lot more balanced, and unlike Unleashed/Generations I prefer replaying the levels here due to it being a lot more fun traversing the environment as opposed to boosting through linear paths.

It does feel like it ought to sit around the 6/7 range more than anything honestly. It's not a bad game by any means - it's one of the most consistent Sonic games to date and it's all mostly functional. But it's really not good at letting newcomers learn all the ins and outs, the control requires a lot of mastering and the game is rather unforgiving in the later worlds. The fact that the game doesn't have as much of a "thrill factor" compared to its predecessors might also be what most people refer to when they claim Sonic has lost an identity. Personally though I consider it a welcome change for the series to branch off and actually maintain an identity that it can only improve with for future games as opposed to Generations, which felt like a dead-end and the ceiling to how much one can get out of the boost formula.

IrishNinja

looking at used copies on amazon...how good is the deadly six DLC level? i like NiGHTs but not sure if i should let a code affect which copy i get...kinda debating waiting till after black friday to see them drop a bit too

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I haven't played it yet, but from what I've read here, it's just a boss rush.

As someone with no NiGHTs background to speak of the DLC stage was like having a short boss rush made up from existing boss patterns in the main game where you hit each boss once and were prematurely shunted onto the next boss in an abrupt and non flowing fashion, all of this surrounded by some nice looking visual imagery of a game i've never fully played, throw in some empty auto running sections and then it was all over.

So no it really isn't worth anything at all, you could simply youtube the stage and probably get the same underwhelming experience.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, this is...weird. I found a glitch in Silent Forest Zone 4, I was escaping from a spider & I bounced through the floor. Then I ended up in another section of the cave part, but upside down. Here's the Miiverse screenshot. Controls are even flipped.

zlCfzRME49UqJPyu-7

Dartastic

Got to the snowball level. Raged. Raged a lot. It's so fucking bad. Ugh. Still haven't beaten it. Thinking about just sending it back to Gamefly. This is ridiculous.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just about done with the Wii U version. Ugh, Sky Road was rather annoying at times, especially Zone 4. I'm starting to really notice how little air control you have (I recall that was mentioned a page back or two) after attacking an enemy.

I think the 7-ish out of 10 reviews were the most accurate. It's a game that I had fun with & am glad that I played, but eventually, some of the flaws become more noticeable later on as the game gets harder. I really have no motivation to do those missions anymore considering there's little point in doing so, so most likely, since I'm strapped for cash & want more eShop credit, once I finish it up & try a few stages as Super Sonic, gonna trade it in. Maybe someday in the future, I'll give the 3DS version a try.

Teknoman

Got to the snowball level. Raged. Raged a lot. It's so fucking bad. Ugh. Still haven't beaten it. Thinking about just sending it back to Gamefly. This is ridiculous.

I think its supposed to be better if you just blast through it. I havent had the chance to get past Tropical Coast Zone yet.

TheOGB

Banned
Knew it. 3DS demo is FINALLY out on the NA eShop. Just downloaded and I'm about to give it a go.

Edit: Heh, beaten by seconds. Demo has 10 uses.

Valkrai

I don't think the game is bad, but its infuriating at times. Expect much more of that when S ranking all stages. Overall, its good and I completely agree with Jim's review.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Amazing how I find out about the Wii U demo JUST as the credits roll for the game after I finish beating it.

Oh well, I'll download the 3DS demo and see how it plays.

Wii U demo up, 10 uses. Played with it for just a few minutes and the graphics are great, and gameplay seemed fine, not a GOTY but I was having fun.

qq more

Still not planning to get the full 3DS version (because the later level design looked really cheap and awful coming from the streams/videos/impressions from friends) but at least the demo was nice but feels kind of off.

Marjar

Banned
Wow the game just sort of ends doesn't it?

People weren't kidding about the final boss being a copy/paste of Sonic Colors' boss lol.

Good game overall, but I can understand the scores.

Lijik

Shitty demo, but the game (mechanically) is pretty good. A shame the level design of later designs is horrendous.

Im not sure what the demo consists of, but if its one of the 3D Windy hill levels, I feel like those kind of hide the issues I had with the mechanics and controls as the game progressed.

Not a whole lot of instances for Sonic to do bullshit like home in on something off screen I didnt want to home in on

EDIT- Assuming this is for the 3DS demo and not the Wii U one. Its kind of hard to tell right now in the thread lol

Dr. Buni

Im not sure what the demo consists of, but if its one of the 3D Windy hill levels, I feel like those kind of hide the issues I had with the mechanics and controls as the game progressed.

Not a whole lot of instances for Sonic to do bullshit like home in on something off screen I didnt want to home in on

EDIT- Assuming this is for the 3DS demo and not the Wii U one. Its kind of hard to tell right now in the thread lol
I was referring to the 3DS version indeed. The demo seems to consist only of the tutorial level and Wind Hill 1 and the gameplay feels good in these two levels, kind of like old school Sonic in 3D. I admit I like the "boost" gameplay from the "boost trilogy" way more, but the new gameplay mechanics have potential to be better with a bit more refinement.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll say that Windy Hill in the 3DS version is the most cohesively-designed and consistent world in the entire game, simply because, as Lijik says, it does hide the shortcomings that some mechanics in the game has.

Berordn

looking at used copies on amazon...how good is the deadly six DLC level? i like NiGHTs but not sure if i should let a code affect which copy i get...kinda debating waiting till after black friday to see them drop a bit too

It's just a bunch of NiGHTS related reskins of the bosses you already fight in the game. Nothing lost there.

I'm in love with this games soundtrack.

I wanted to hate fuck the snowball level. God damn that was the worst. I finally managed to beat it once i found out there is a button to brake.

branny

I like how the parkour in the 3DS version is unlimited(?) and a lot quicker to activate. I always got annoyed by the pausing on Wii U.

Sonic doesn't feel as precise, though.

Game finally arrived I've spent a few hours just on the Windy Hill areas. I can see why this polarizes people the way it controls. If you prefer Sonic a certain way (classic 2D style, the Boost style, etc.), you might feel alienated from this...at first at least. I agree with those who believe this game would benefit greatly from a training stage like the 3DS verison has.

It did feel weird getting used to having to hold a button down to make Sonic run, but I'm glad it didn't feel weird for long. This feels like the best control Sonic has had in 3D; the speed control here works well since there seems to be a lot to explore.

It sort of has a W101 feel to me where the game clicks over time, and will probably be very fun in replaying levels.

Will post more impressions later.

qq more

I'm farming lives and this (thankfully rare) glitch just happened:

glitch.jpg

what lol

I agree with those who believe this game would benefit greatly from a training stage like the 3DS verison has..

I originally thought this, but I feel the biggest issue of the game is that the later half just has poor level design. I feel tutorials would help the game only a little.

I originally thought this, but I feel the biggest issue of the game is that the later half just has poor level design. I feel tutorials would help the game only a little.

Now I get to see about those infamous levels firsthand. Although, knowing they're coming could give me a different experience than yours.

TheOGB

Banned
Goddamn, there are a lot of friggin controls in this game. I made sure to go through all the hints in the tutorial level and do everything twice to make sure I got it down before I started experimenting. Also noticed 'Controls' in the pause menu, though it doesn't show you much more than basic movement. (For those who have the full game, does this add the hints you run into? It'd be nice to be able to go back and read them) I find it's 'easier' to control Sonic with the d-pad than with the circle pad, as it is less ambiguous. One complaint I had at first was that I couldn't quite gauge my full movement capabilities, or what my limits were. I made a lot of unsure jumps, tried to double jump to compensate for a perceived lack of control, didn't feel like I had the parkour down right, that sort of thing. But then I tried with the d-pad and felt much more confident in my movement.

The parkour system is... kinda weird. The walls seem hard-coded to be interacted with in one way; walls facing front or back you can only run up, and walls facing left and right you can only run along. I can't decide if it's a good thing or bad thing, but it was far too awkward when I tried to run up a wall and immediately started going forward or back. Outside that and a few other oddities, it seemed alright on the whole.

The demo... is a good demo. However, having played with it for a few hours now I'm not entirely certain the quality will carry through the whole thing to make a good game. And that's not even taking anyone else's reviews/impressions into consideration. :V I may buy this on sale, or I might skip it. I dunno. Still plan on getting the Wii U version, but that'll have to wait until I get the system. :p

Berordn

I actually ended up liking most of Silent Forest and Sky Road. Everything else ranges from passable (Lava Mountain) to outright dumb (Frozen Factory). The amount of polish at that point definitely falls off a cliff but I don't think much else changes.

qq more

I finished the game. Underwhelming final boss... also I don't like the idea of red rings in boss fights. Lava Mountain Zone 1 and 4 proved that concept to be very frustrating. I hate being distracted away from the actual fight just so I can grab a red ring.

5.5/10 game

I really want to enjoy the game, especially that I loved Colors and Generations as far as recent Sonic goes... but this game... :/ I may or may not get all the red ring stars. I at least got most of them in the frustrating stages (I forced myself to get all of them in one go for Lava Mountain Zone 2 because the level itself is AWFUL)

I actually ended up liking most of Silent Forest and Sky Road. Everything else ranges from passable (Lava Mountain) to outright dumb (Frozen Factory). The amount of polish at that point definitely falls off a cliff but I don't think much else changes.

Silent Forest was alright. I hated those 3 other stages, whenever I do end up having fun, they just had to throw in something that are frustrating. I can't really say Lava Mountain is passable, not with the 2nd act because that is honestly the worst level in the game. I thought Sky Road was less evil. I don't think the LW team knows how to pull of difficulty very well. The design process on this game is very inconsistent...

dvolovets

I am having a bizarre issue with the game. There is absolutely no voice acting during cut scenes, even though I've set the language and text options to English and to various other languages. The only things that change are the subtitles and the language of the voices spoken in game, not during cutscenes. What gives???

Berordn

Silent Forest was alright. I hated those 3 other stages, whenever I do end up having fun, they just had to throw in something that are frustrating. I can't really say Lava Mountain is passable, not with the 2nd act because that is honestly the worst level in the game. I thought Sky Road was less evil. I don't think the LW team knows how to pull of difficulty very well. The design process on this game is very inconsistent...

I thought Lava Mountain 2 was really easy, actually. Instant death with no warning is dumb in any case, but I still blew through the level.

Frozen Factory 2 was much more unforgivable in my eyes.

qq more

I thought Lava Mountain 2 was really easy, actually. Instant death with no warning is dumb in any case, but I still blew through the level.

Frozen Factory 2 was much more unforgivable in my eyes.

lol it's actually the opposite for me, I actually enjoyed Frozen Factory 2 and felt it was easy meanwhile Lava Mountain 2 slain 30+ of my lives.

oxidax

The reviews are so bad but i think the game is ok. I just played the Demo. Im gonna wait a little longer and get it later.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am having a bizarre issue with the game. There is absolutely no voice acting during cut scenes, even though I've set the language and text options to English and to various other languages. The only things that change are the subtitles and the language of the voices spoken in game, not during cutscenes. What gives???

You need change your Wii U sound setting from surround to stereo.

Top Bottom