• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

FSLink

Banned
I'm thinking this is my favorite 2D Sonic game. Even when the game brought back a few stages I wasn't exactly fond of from past titles, the new remixed versions are tons of fun.

Yeah this game is so good. Just finished Flying Battery and I'm blown away. How is it Sonic Team could never deliver this type of experience since S&K? As far as I'm concerned, I hope this team continues on with another Mania, possibly Chaotix Redux and Sonic R2.

Also, I unlocked the peel-out but I'm not sure how it works in Mania. In CD you just hold up and jump. Maybe I missed an option in the menu?

As a kid nothing touched sonic 2. Overall I thought my uncle's snes was way better but I cherished sonic 2. I remember a couple times I'd get into fights with my brother and I'd take the cartridge and run off and close my eyes and listen to the music in my head. It was an escape for me as a child and helped me get through a lot of heartache.

That being said this game is a great game and a wonderful successor to the genesis titles. It fits right in and feels like ive unlocked some secret set of levels ive never found before in sonic 2.

Tomorrow I'll be waking up an hour earlier than usual to sneak off and play some sonic before school, err I mean work. It'll help me get through the day :)

Xandalan

Neo Member
North America Playstation Network downloaded at midnight immediately available for those interested. I did pre order though.

VariantX

Ok, I finally figured out how the drop dash works. You need to press and hold the jump button twice. You have to hold it long enough for you to hear the "wind up" sound and visibly see sonic start spinning faster in mid-air (see his sprites change to what basically looks like an aerial-spin dash). So that means theres a minimum height/airtime requirement to be able to execute it at all.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah this game is so good. Just finished Flying Battery and I'm blown away. How is it Sonic Team could never deliver this type of experience since S&K? As far as I'm concerned, I hope this team continues on with another Mania, possibly Chaotix Redux and Sonic R2.

Also, I unlocked the peel-out but I'm not sure how it works in Mania. In CD you just hold up and jump. Maybe I missed an option in the menu?

Extras Menu. You can only use it on a No-Save file along with the other things you can unlock.

Jump into hidden giant rings (like Sonic 3 & Knuckles) and do a variation of the UFO stages from Sonic CD.

Yeah except it's much more fun. You're basically on a track and you gather blue spheres to increase top speed and gather rings to get more time. Definitely my favorite bonus stages out of the entire series from what I've played of them so far (played about 3 of them)

Level design evolved a lot since... 1994...

BusterJol

Ahhhhhhhh got my collector's edition, got my switch back from a buddy, and can't play it. Should've looked at the interwebs before getting excited. :c

batfax

Every time I hit refresh on the eShop page, very briefly, the buy digital button appears. Then it's just gone, as if it was never there.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/dleENLv.png[/img]

I see you, you taunting thing.

Griss

I get a notification that Mania is up on the Switch e-shop... and it's Nintendo Europe that pushed it to me. Gah!

It's actually frustrating that you can't turn Switch news channels on and off by region. I have both US and EU Nintendo accounts, and both are on my switch, but I only wish to get Nintendo US news. Strange that you can't do that.

Stevey

Got an email from Amazon UK saying that they are now waiting for a revised release date for my Xbox One Collectors Edition.
Might as well cancel it.

Edit:but when I try to cancel it they say they're preparing for dispatch and cancellation isn't guaranteed.

VeeP

Waiting on Nintendo like...

200.gif

tenor.gif

VeeP

We're 45 minutes away from launch and yet many here claim to already have played the game. How come?

Other countries have had it for awhile now. It's out on PS4. Some people's codes came early and they were able to use them. Some people have NeoGAF Gold and Evilore and Sega go way back so he gave people free codes.

Most old zones have made me feel very confused because I have only played their respective games, so when
Hydrocity appeared
I thought to myself "Finally a zone I REALLY know"

Welp just heard from Amazon, my copy of Soni cMania Collector's Edition has been delayed for two days. Please SEGA don't do a Resident Evil VII situation.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.

Wait, how do you unlock the peel out?

jariw

I played through two full zones and didn't encounter issues (and I played via remote play...due to having no HD TV). I don't notice any slowdown.

FWIW, it's Tantalus that made the Switch port. They have a pretty good track record when porting to Nintendo hardware.

jobrro

We're 45 minutes away from launch and yet many here claim to already have played the game. How come?

Yeah it unlocked for me on the Australian PSN 16.5 hours ago, and many more storefronts since then.

One strange thing for me is I bought it on the Australian PSN but I have a Japanese PS4 Pro. Most games from AU/US on my system use Cross to confirm and Circle to go back, but for some reason this game uses the system buttons of Circle to confirm and Cross to go back. Just thought that was strange.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
All Emeralds before finishing the second zone, haha.

Good to know so many hidden entrances exist. I assumed only 1 per stage.

Wait, how do you unlock the peel out?

I got it after getting a Game Over in Chemical Plant 1 with only 1 chaos emerald and a single silver bonus medal. Not sure what actually triggers the unlock, but that was what I accomplished at that point.

OmegaFax

Every time I hit refresh on the eShop page, very briefly, the buy digital button appears. Then it's just gone, as if it was never there.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/dleENLv.png[/img]

I see you, you taunting thing.

It used to briefly show a "Pre-Purchase" button before the page completely loaded but it went to an error page since they listed it on Nintendo.com. Either it's something leftover from Wii U and 3DS pre-purchases or they're (hopefully) going to make pre-loading a thing in the near future for games like Odyssey or Fire Emblem.

nowarning

Weird, mine got dispatched from amazon.co.uk mega late last night, says it's on it's way today though, I wonder what the delay is.

After 3 hours sleep I'm awake again so after this cup of tea I'm going to crack on, looking forward to making some more progress.

TrueBlue

Downloaded this morning and was able to play GH Act 1. Loved it.

I did notice though that some of the sounds/music was a bit...crackly? Specifically the title screen and the jump sound effect. Might be an issue with my TV - has anyone else noticed this?

Top Bottom